The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 May 2019, 03:07 AM   #1
accau
"TRF" Member

Purchase advice on 5513 & 1665

Hello all, I am fairly new in the vintage world and this would be my first vintage purchase, I have been reading threads after threads in this forum about vintage knowledge, but still I have a lot to learn.

I’m currently traveling in Tokyo and came across theses two watches, would appreciate to get some first glance advise if I should go forward or give it a passes and keep hunting (both piece are price in similar range)

Sorry about the lack of photo, as it is hard to take picture with the lighting in the store, most of them turn out all blurry.
accau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 02:09 PM   #2
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
from the pics i like the mf 5513 more.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 02:40 PM   #3
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

OP, please also post pictures of the case of both watches (e.g., chamfers or bevels).

Also, in deciding whether or not to purchase, it is important to consider whether the price is appropriate for the condition of that particular model.

Based on a quick look of recent listings in the TRF classifieds, a matte MF 5513 (watch only) seems to go for ~$12K - $18K (depending on condition). Whereas a 1665 GW (watch only) seems to go for ~$19K+ (depending on condition).
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 01:11 AM   #4
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
the 1665 has a service replacement modern insert with what looks to be an aftermarket pearl attached to match the lume color.

The 5513 has a nice Mk3 insert installed, however a correct insert should be a long 5 for a MF 5513.

There is more that we need to see to determine value. What is the shop asking for both pieces?
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 04:00 AM   #5
accau
"TRF" Member

Thank you for everyone’s reply I went back to the store today and examine the watch again, as I was browsing through the fs section and other trusted seller on instagram, I recon for the price the store is asking I should have a chance to find a few nice example to choose from, the price is currently list around 19k usd, I will continue to hunt for a nice 5513 as that was the one I was looking for, Cheers
accau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 06:07 AM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Difficult with seconds hand in the way but last line of 1665 looks odd, almost officiallycertified with no gap??