The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 October 2019, 10:47 PM   #91
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Recently had lunch (twice) with Wilhelm Schmid - I would suggest Lange has a very clear plan moving forward for it's pieces and distribution. I will say no more other than the move to a Boutique distribution model and no discounting is clear for all to see.

Yes , this is what I was told as well. Just not sure it’s going to be enough to turn things around without more competitive pricing. Those price increases were killers IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:18 PM   #92
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Yes , this is what I was told as well. Just not sure it’s going to be enough to turn things around without more competitive pricing. Those price increases were killers IMO.

I honestly don’t think price is the issue at 5000 pieces per year and in fact it wouldn’t surprise me if prices go up. People will pay for the pinnacle of watch making especially if volume is low and they know discounting is a thing of the past - ‘quality’ ‘quality’ ‘quality’ and no compromise.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:35 AM   #93
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

A. Lange & Söhne Sports Watch

Quote:
I honestly don’t think price is the issue at 5000 pieces per year and in fact it wouldn’t surprise me if prices go up. People will pay for the pinnacle of watch making especially if volume is low and they know discounting is a thing of the past - ‘quality’ ‘quality’ ‘quality’ and no compromise.

You may be right, but outside of watch enthusiasts I’m not sure the average person knows or appreciates Lange’s watchmaking prowess compared to PP, for example, as marketing has not been Lange’s strong suit and the history just isn’t there compared to some other companies like PP. With that said, maybe watch enthusiasts are enough to support a 5000 watch/year manufacture if some
of these things (including reigning in deep discounting) can be fixed. With some new leadership and a new sports watch launching, i am definitely excited for the brand. Only time will tell I suppose.

Old 22 October 2019, 12:49 AM   #94
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Recently had lunch (twice) with Wilhelm Schmid - I would suggest Lange has a very clear plan moving forward for it's pieces and distribution. I will say no more other than the move to a Boutique distribution model and no discounting is clear for all to see.
Quote:
That is awesome, did he talk mentioned anything about Lange ramping up their marketing campaign? Lange, in my opinion, makes the best serially produced dress watches but their brand equity is lacking, which is extremely important in the luxury market. Look at what Richard Mille is doing.

I don't think it's a pricing issue, as most Lange is priced competitively. For example, the 2nd Gen RG Dato is ~$70K, which is in line with Pateks 5170J/G and Vacheron's Cornes de Vache. While those are pure chronos, the dato has a date and PR complication. If you were to look at just chronographs, the 1815 is a great valuable prop at $55k vs. those two. Also, the first two watches don't retain value that well either and you can get them for $45-50k used, whereas the RG dato the cheapest I've seen is $50k and 1815 chrono 3rd gens usually go for $40-45k.

The Saxonia at 37mm is a great value prop and cheaper than any of patek or vacheron's time only dress pieces (in noble metals). I do think that the 1815 and 1815 u/d is slightly overpriced for what it is, same can maybe be said for the Lange 1 line.

So all in all, I don't think it's a pricing issue but a brand awareness issue. They need to step up their marketing campaign and build awareness.
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 02:52 AM   #95
PJ S
Banned

I love how this Lange Sport watch thread has become the Lange & Sohne demise thread due to their financial shortfall!
Stating the glaringly obvious, Lange’s finances are not dictated by the lack of each watch sold selling at full MSRP – the bulk of their sales are through ADs, so their profit is locked in once those invoices are settled.
We don’t know the annual running costs of the manufacturing site, the boutique overheads, and what toll the R&D budget has taken – so all this talk of financial dire straits is only worth being broached when boutiques start closing left, right, and centre.

As for the issue being brand awareness… do you really think so?
How many of you are aware of Grand Seiko? H Moser & Cie? De Bethune?
So why haven’t you bought any of their pieces?
Marketing is only for those who’re incapable of thinking for themselves, looking to be told what to buy instead of using their own two eyes, and brain, to figure out if they like what they see or not.
True appreciators of haute horology don’t need to be marketed to, they already know what gets their juices flowing.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 03:05 AM   #96
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
True appreciators of haute horology don’t need to be marketed to, they already know what gets their juices flowing.
Agree to an extent.

True enthusiasts know of Lange and their high quality. They certainly don't need to be inundated with marketing.

However, the vast majority of PP sales are from people who are not WIS. They are from people who buy a PP only because it's a Patek, and marketing has guided them. It's these types of customers Lange needs to attract. We may not like it as a WIS forum, but people who don't have a clue about watches drive brand profitability and even the types of watches produced.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 03:07 AM   #97
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Will this do it? :)

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:42 AM   #98
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Agree to an extent.

True enthusiasts know of Lange and their high quality. They certainly don't need to be inundated with marketing.

However, the vast majority of PP sales are from people who are not WIS. They are from people who buy a PP only because it's a Patek, and marketing has guided them. It's these types of customers Lange needs to attract. We may not like it as a WIS forum, but people who don't have a clue about watches drive brand profitability and even the types of watches produced.
I agree however the recent spike in Patek popularity is due to its sports models, which is why this upcoming release is very important for Lange.

Get it on the wrist of someone like Lebron and the sheep will follow. I don't know why the brand isn't even focusing on its native celebs. They have a lot of great football players could be brand ambassadors. No excuse for Sane to not be rocking a Lange
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:06 AM   #99
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Agree to an extent.

You beat me to the reply - agree !

Old 22 October 2019, 05:38 AM   #100
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

I suppose I am alone in the room, but I actually really hope it isn't a steel sport watch.

Steel sport watches are the SUV of the watch world. Porsche should not have made one. Ferrari should not have made one. Lamborghini should not have made one. Lange should not make one.

Just because they sell well doesn't mean a company needs to make one. It is, for a brand like Lange, effectively selling out.

When I was a kid I had a poster of a Countach on my wall. It was unhinged, off the wall. Crazy. Amazing. Exciting.
It was the car dreams are made of. Now, when I see a "Lambo" (or whatever the kids are calling them these days) I get a very strong image of who that driver is, and it isn't a good one. I have no desire to ever own one and be associated with their clientele*. The brand changed and is really tarnished in my eyes.

But that's me. And an SUV can fit all the kids hockey gear.

Is this the beginning of the end for Lange (for me)? Maybe. Let's see.

The one exception would be a throw back pilot watch. An all around generic "go anywhere do anything" watch a la 5711 or Royal Oak or diver is a big no from me.

*I have a close friend who has an Aventador and he agrees that the worst part about driving one is knowing who else is driving one.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 10:04 AM   #101
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I was invited to a dinner with the CEO of Lange next month but cannot make it due to other travel... would love to hear more details.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:18 AM   #102
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
I love how this Lange Sport watch thread has become the Lange & Sohne demise thread due to their financial shortfall!
Lol
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:27 AM   #103
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Looking forward to see it. Though I am concerned the more they drum up hype, the higher the expectation and then more the disappointment when it doesn't live up. Sounds familiar to something that has recently happened to another brand.
Old 22 October 2019, 12:39 PM   #104
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Looking forward to see it. Though I am concerned the more they drum up hype, the higher the expectation and then more the disappointment when it doesn't live up. Sounds familiar to something that has recently happened to another brand.
Well said Let's hope that this isn't another code 11:59
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:43 PM   #105
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I was invited to a dinner with the CEO of Lange next month but cannot make it due to other travel... would love to hear more details.
I wonder if Mr. Schmid will invite me to dinner if I get a Datograph?
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:48 PM   #106
impinth06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
Well said Let's hope that this isn't another code 11:59
Well, the 11:59 was first a dress watch, and second no SS

Good luck ALS
impinth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 01:01 PM   #107
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impinth06 View Post
Well, the 11:59 was first a dress watch, and second no SS

Good luck ALS
Correct, but from what I can recall the initial hype for the watch was that it may have been a new SS sports piece. Either way, I think a lot of people are getting excited about this being a really cool sports watch and are just hoping not to get let down as so many of us were by the 1159.
Old 22 October 2019, 01:08 PM   #108
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
Too bad you can’t make it. I had dinner with him in Dresden and he is a genuine down to earth guy. Plus he is a car guy!

Can’t wait for the launch this Friday.
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 01:13 PM   #109
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
I wonder if Mr. Schmid will invite me to dinner if I get a Datograph?
Even if he won't you'll still have a Datograph
Old 22 October 2019, 03:48 PM   #110
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post
Too bad you can’t make it. I had dinner with him in Dresden and he is a genuine down to earth guy. Plus he is a car guy!

Can’t wait for the launch this Thursday.
👍 Genuine petrol head.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:00 PM   #111
Reign
"TRF" Member

A. Lange & Söhne Sports Watch

Two more days for the blue dial
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 09:08 PM   #112
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
Even if he won't you'll still have a Datograph
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 09:34 PM   #113
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

There are invites for an event on Thursday. Has anyone else gotten anything like this? Wondering if they’ll be showing the new release...
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:06 AM   #114
Ceaiu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
From insta
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191022_170408_compress4.jpg (236.8 KB, 348 views)
Ceaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:08 AM   #115
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

According to the new Instagram teaser, it will have the day at 9 (and logically the date at 3), and a multi-textured blue dial. The day only shows two letters at a time, which is something new.

Someone on another site leaked that it will be 41mm but don't know if that can be verified.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:14 AM   #116
Ceaiu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
According to the new Instagram teaser, it will have the day at 9 (and logically the date at 3), and a multi-textured blue dial. The day only shows two letters at a time, which is something new.

Someone on another site leaked that it will be 41mm but don't know if that can be verified.
Can be at 8 or 10... and played us with the camera angle
although the twin indexes suggest 9.
Ceaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:34 AM   #117
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceaiu View Post
Can be at 8 or 10... and played us with the camera angle
although the twin indexes suggest 9.

It’s at 9p. The date is at 3p. It has the same shape as the PP 5960 and even a very similar bracelet as the 5960 (all sans pushers of course since there’s no chrono function). The ALS logo is a half moon that runs across the top half of the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:40 AM   #118
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Blue and SS, looks like they are on trend...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:46 AM   #119
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

This is going to be interesting.......

From the prior Insta post it could have a "insertable" crown like the new OMEGA seamaster Ti golf watch.
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:54 AM   #120
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
I bloody well hope not. I'm holding out on this being 38-40mm (preferably closer to 38), cos everyone else's sport watch is too bloody big.

Hear that PP? How about bringing back the 38mm sports watches?!?!
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote