The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 January 2020, 01:53 AM   #1
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Need help with 6251H (I think?) bracelet

I sent a 1/1966 DJ 1601 to RSC for service with a well broken-in folded link jubilee that I think is a 6251H. Rolex refinished the bracelet without mention and sent the watch back. No sweat.

I was getting ready to send that bracelet to Rolliworks for an overhaul, but I noticed the clasp has what I think is an oyster bracelet reference number: 78360 and it has no manufacture date code.

The bracelet has the right 55 end links (one of which needs some attention), and the bracelet itself looks to be a correct folded jubilee (and if it was a fake, Rolex would not have overhauled it). It had 22 links until I had 2 removed last week for a better fit.

I'm having a hard time determining what I'm seeing. I *think* this is an undated 1970's or 1980's service clasp with the wrong reference number - maybe fitted by an independent watchmaker at some point (?).

If I want a more appropriate clasp, what is a decent match to my 1966 DJ?

When I look at used clasps from the late 60's, even within the 6251 range these is a big variety of both marked and unmarked dates, reference numbers, different pressing marks in the fold outs, and differet styles of outer clasp.

Help?

Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 02:20 AM   #2
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
To me it looks like the clasp was replaced with a 78360 clasp. The date code appears to be G so about 1982. Not uncommon and should be easy to correct by sourcing the correct clasp. If the clasp was replaced by Rolex the close would be S denoting service.

I am surprised Rolex did not comment on the bracelet when it was serviced.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 02:27 AM   #3
Claven2
"TRF" Member

I'm actually surprised as well, as they did take the time to refinish the bracelet rather well and didn't event mention it.

So what is a reasonable correct replacement clasp? I don't need it to be a correct 1st quarter 1966 clasp, as the watch has service dial/hands anyway. I just want it to be appropriate for a Rolex that has been officially serviced. (yes, I know, it was officially serviced with this clasp and it didn't matter), but ideally I'd like ot go for a clasp that could feasibly have been CORRECTLY fitted to this watch.
Old 2 January 2020, 02:32 AM   #4
Claven2
"TRF" Member

PS: great eyes on the G. It's there and I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out. I can't see an S anywhere on the clasp (not sure where it would be located).

I'd say it's likely that when I sent it to the RSC, that was the watch's first time being serviced by Rolex themselves. It had other issues (like incorrect 1603 bezel fitted) that has me believe someone other than Rolex had worked on it between 1966 and 2019.

Makes me wonder if a previous owner harvested rarer early parts (white gold bezel, a rarer original clasp) and then flipped the watch - though if they had, I would have expected them to harvest the end links and maybe the whole bracelet - so maybe it was just someone's attempt to keep a worn bracelet in service?
Old 2 January 2020, 03:04 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

As you mentioned originally, a 6251H clasp would plausibly be correct for that folded-link bracelet. What else did you want to know? IMO, this seems like an extremely minor issue for an old stretched-out bracelet, but if you'd prefer having a matching clasp and bracelet, then pick up a 6251H clasp on eBay and install it. You've indicated that the date code doesn't matter to you.
Old 2 January 2020, 03:16 AM   #6
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
As you mentioned originally, a 6251H clasp would plausibly be correct for that folded-link bracelet. What else did you want to know? IMO, this seems like an extremely minor issue for an old stretched-out bracelet, but if you'd prefer having a matching clasp and bracelet, then pick up a 6251H clasp on eBay and install it. You've indicated that the date code doesn't matter to you.
Date code, no, but looks - yes.

The current bracelet isn't all that stretched out, it's actually decent and is (apart from clasp) a great restoration candidate.

What I need to know, is after looking at like 50 of these on e-bay and Chronoshop, is what STYLE clasp do I need? My current one is basically a visual match to a 62510H clasp, which I think (can anyone confirm?) may have been used near the end of 6251H production.

So for a 1966 DJ, what am I lookig for?

-Big crown or small crown? Were both available circa 1966-1970?
-With the two pressed in shoulders on either side of the clasp cover, or an un-embossed one like my bracelet is currently wearing?
-Some clasps have 6251H engraved on them, others don't despite looking similar. Is one more appropriate to my bracelet than another?
-Some have date codes, others seem not to. Is a total lack of date code to be avoided? More likely to be fake? or...?

Here's some examples - do I need a clasp like this?

Or here is an embossed cover with small crown - would this be more appropriate?
Old 2 January 2020, 03:38 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
So what is a reasonable correct replacement clasp? I don't need it to be a correct 1st quarter 1966 clasp, as the watch has service dial/hands anyway. I just want it to be appropriate for a Rolex that has been officially serviced. (yes, I know, it was officially serviced with this clasp and it didn't matter), but ideally I'd like ot go for a clasp that could feasibly have been CORRECTLY fitted to this watch.
Given this statement, a folded-link jubilee with either type of 6251H clasp could have been correctly fitted to this watch during a service. It most likely had a big crown clasp originally IMO.
Old 2 January 2020, 03:57 AM   #8
FreeWilly5759
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Need help with 6251H (I think?) bracelet

I think we have the same year Datejust (just different colors) this is what mine looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FreeWilly5759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 04:52 AM   #9
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Thanks, that TT bracelet is a great reference point! Now to find one like it.