The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 January 2020, 11:54 AM   #31
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Mods- Please issue this man a full refund, he seems less than fully satisfied with our helpfulness.

Sent from my Motorola bagphone
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 08:29 AM   #32
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
That’s not how auctions work.

Not at all.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 08:57 AM   #33
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
If the OP is worried about people jumping in on an auction, why not just post the photos from the auction for opinions instead of posting the link? Very easy to take screen grabs and post them. Maybe I'm missing something.

However, I don't agree with the OP's premise. Anybody who's in the market for a particular vintage watch is probably well aware of most of the offerings out there, whether they're on IG, eBay, Chrono24, private listings here on TRF and elsewhere, etc ... If it's already online somewhere, there's a good chance anybody who's interested already knows about it. We certainly don't need to be tipped off through eBay links posted here.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 09:10 AM   #34
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
If the OP is worried about people jumping in on an auction, why not just post the photos from the auction for opinions instead of posting the link? Very easy to take screen grabs and post them. Maybe I'm missing something.

However, I don't agree with the OP's premise. Anybody who's in the market for a particular vintage watch is probably well aware of most of the offerings out there, whether they're on IG, eBay, Chrono24, private listings here on TRF and elsewhere, etc ... If it's already online somewhere, there's a good chance anybody who's interested already knows about it. We certainly don't need to be tipped off through eBay links posted here.
Sure.

I have now worked out "screen grabs" without posting the ebay link etc is what is best to do....

That is exactly what I did on a recent 5513 (with the wrong movement) even after I questioned the seller (who told me it was "quite common for the 5513 to have a different movement.....many Rolex "experts" and watchmakers had told him that..")

I wonder which unsuspecting forum member purchased this watch?

Or maybe they knew all along and will just do it up a bit - who knows even put in the correct movement and replace the crown with one more appropriate to the piece, and flip it (fake dial or not) to someone else...?
wappinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 09:22 AM   #35
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
ebay has millions of watch buyers. do you really think you're the only one who stumbled on this watch?

ebay is retail today. no bargains unless its a Make an Offer score or any brand other than the big ones.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 09:30 AM   #36
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
ebay has millions of watch buyers. do you really think you're the only one who stumbled on this watch?

ebay is retail today. no bargains unless its a Make an Offer score or any brand other than the big ones.

No of course I don't think I was the only one who "stumbled on this watch"
What makes you think that? What peaves me off about ebay though is how this is never policed properly by ebay. Sure - buy the seller. I get it. But even the best sellers, flippers and enthusiasts can get it wrong. Cheers
Old 4 January 2020, 09:40 AM   #37
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by wappinghigh View Post
I wonder which unsuspecting forum member purchased this watch?
What makes you think a (unsuspecting) forum member got it?
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 09:40 AM   #38
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Gentleman's agreement?

What you are looking for is someone with a great deal of knowledge on the watch in question. There is no doubt that some of the folks here (who know a lot more than I do) that can help guide you. The purpose of this forum to share and enjoy timepieces.

Since you don’t personally know a person directly to contact, this may be your best option on free advice. Post pictures, not links if you are worried. But frankly to ask how we are policed while asking for help is a shitty approach.

“I need your help since you know more. However, since I don’t trust you and I assume you will screw me over, how do I punish you for participating in my request”

I understand the frustration of not being able to buy anything from an AD. Welcome to the club. But try a different approach. There is a section on this forum under Watch Out that caters to answering questions about the apparent authenticity of a watch, they will not tell you why as it’s against forum rules, but they will at least give you feedback that can help you make a decision.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 09:48 AM   #39
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
What makes you think a (unsuspecting) forum member got it?
Sure

Maybe that was a Freudian typo?

Maybe it was a "suspecting" forum member"?

Who really knows. Time will tell I guess... but I suspect there is a cottage industry out there of people "legitimizing" vintage pieces or flipping them (knowingly) to others after minor changes or "upgrades", or even no changes at all.. just a better website or watch description... am I right?

But sure... the biggest red flag was someone cancelled a bid very close to the end of an Auction...

I mean who risks 10;s of thousands of dollars on an ebay auction- unless there are big profits to be made?
Old 4 January 2020, 09:50 AM   #40
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007timer View Post
What you are looking for is someone with a great deal of knowledge on the watch in question. There is no doubt that some of the folks here (who know a lot more than I do) that can help guide you. The purpose of this forum to share and enjoy timepieces.

Since you don’t personally know a person directly to contact, this may be your best option on free advice. Post pictures, not links if you are worried. But frankly to ask how we are policed while asking for help is a shitty approach.

“I need your help since you know more. However, since I don’t trust you and I assume you will screw me over, how do I punish you for participating in my request”

I understand the frustration of not being able to buy anything from an AD. Welcome to the club. But try a different approach. There is a section on this forum under Watch Out that caters to answering questions about the apparent authenticity of a watch, they will not tell you why as it’s against forum rules, but they will at least give you feedback that can help you make a decision.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok I'll do that. Cheers
Old 4 January 2020, 01:14 PM   #41
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I mean who risks 10;s of thousands of dollars on an ebay auction- unless there are big profits to be made?
I have made 5 digit watch purchases on eBay, for watches that I liked and wanted for my collection. Buying anything from photos alone is always a bit of a risk, but I felt I had enough knowledge about the references that I was confident in my purchases. And I was definitely not looking to make a profit, just to buy honest vintage watches at fair market value.

From the seller's side, eBay is an inexpensive and convenient way to get your watch in front of a lot of buyers. It may not be the best way to sell a $50k watch, but it's not a bad way to sell a $10k-$20k watch.
Old 5 January 2020, 08:57 PM   #42
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^ yeh Ok oysterq ol' sport...I'll do that

Nice one

Can't buy a new sub from an AD (there aren't any)
Can't buy a new or near knew sub unless I'm screwed over by a bunch of smart ar$e bravado cowboy grey flippers who think they know more than everyone else...
Can't get help around here about a vintage sub so can't buy a Vintage sub that doesn't cost less that a PP

So basically can't buy a simple classic SS Rolex at all without being totally done over....

I figured it out : a 5513 shouldn't have a 1560 movement so must be fake something...

Appreciate the help

Cheers
I think you've summed it up for yourself, really. Maybe try another brand. Or hobby...
Old 5 January 2020, 09:31 PM   #43
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
I think you've summed it up for yourself, really. Maybe try another brand. Or hobby...
Why would I do that when Rolex is the best watch brand in the world, and collecting watches is my hobby?

I'm, just after fairness and transparency in the market..

As a watch collector, what's wrong in desiring that?
Old 5 January 2020, 09:46 PM   #44
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I have made 5 digit watch purchases on eBay, for watches that I liked and wanted for my collection. Buying anything from photos alone is always a bit of a risk, but I felt I had enough knowledge about the references that I was confident in my purchases. And I was definitely not looking to make a profit, just to buy honest vintage watches at fair market value.

From the seller's side, eBay is an inexpensive and convenient way to get your watch in front of a lot of buyers. It may not be the best way to sell a $50k watch, but it's not a bad way to sell a $10k-$20k watch.
Sure, thanks for those constructive comments...

I'll need to trade some of my lesser "other brand" pieces to start building by Rolex collection.

Most of my previous ebay transactions have been in the sub 5 figure range ... (hence my previous comments)...
I have purchased one or two watches worth more than that on ebay... Seikos... from Japan. Very honest and reliable sellers - the Japanese.

I agree...once figures get significantly more on ebay - it starts to get more difficult... particularly when there seems so much money involved now in vintage Rolex pieces..

Cheers for your help. Appreciate it...
Old 5 January 2020, 09:46 PM   #45
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why would I do that when Rolex is the best watch brand in the world, and collecting watches is my hobby?

Well, this is going smoothly.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 09:33 AM   #46
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Quote:

As a fisherman, all I desire is to be able to toss a hook in the water and pull out the exact fish I want.

What’s wrong with desiring that?

Nothing at all, but it’s not going to happen because that’s not how it works. It takes knowledge, experience, skill, and a certain investment of money and time to get anywhere close to that, and even then plenty of great fisherman go home empty handed sometimes.

If it was that easy, it wouldn’t be much of a hobby. It would just be watch shopping.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote