The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 January 2020, 10:51 PM   #1
StateUnfairNJ
"TRF" Member

Help choosing first luxury watch for wedding!

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some input on my first luxury watch purchase. I’m getting married this summer and was looking for a great watch to wear for my wedding and then long after. I’ve drawn attached to diver watches and wanted to find one that goes well with suits (wear few times a year) and casual every day wear (attire most of the time). It’d also be nice if it was something that would look relevant down the road.

The Breitling SO is within my price range. However, I’ve also enjoyed trying on the Tudor Pelagos, Omega Seamaster Diver 300m, and Omega Aqua Terra 150m. Those would require splurging some additional funds.

I wanted to see if you thought the Superocean was a good first watch or it’s worth spending a bit more for the other models I’ve mentioned and overall usage of the watch.

Thanks I’m advance!
Ian
StateUnfairNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 03:50 AM   #2
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your special occasion!

All the watches you are considering are great watches and will serve you well if you care for them.

There are some thoughts to consider. Make sure it is a watch you really like; not because you feel like you need a watch for your wedding. It’s an expensive purchase and watches are not an investment. I know it seems this way from reading this forum but rolexes are an anomaly. However, I would splurge a little if it is something you feel strongly about. It will be something that is a part of you and you will look at it all the time.

Also, learn a little bit about the brands. You will find that not all brands are the same. Omegas, with their master co-axial movement, is quite a technical marvel. Tudor, because of their association with Rolex, is becoming a default backup to hard to get SS rolexes. Unfortunately I don’t know anything about breitling. Beyond those brands, there are numerous other ones. I would also consider Cartier, IWC, Oris and Grand Seiko as well.

Finally, have fun with it. Go try as many watches as you can. Talk to as many people as you can. Take wrist shots so you can see how they look on your wrist. Watches are engineering marvels and it may lead you to a lifelong passion.

Good luck!
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 06:20 AM   #3
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Im not sure which SO you are talking about but if you are looking at their non-heritage line just in my opinion the dials are too busy and a little overwhelming for a formal occasion. If it was up to me I would go for either an Aqua Terra or the Pelagos as they'll work well as a casual watch and won't look too out of place with suits. Dive watches for me are a little bit over the top with a tux but that's just me. In the end make sure you like the watch. Decent discounts can be had on omegas so make sure you are taking advantage rather than pay MSRP.
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 09:30 AM   #4
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
Im not sure which SO you are talking about but if you are looking at their non-heritage line just in my opinion the dials are too busy and a little overwhelming for a formal occasion. If it was up to me I would go for either an Aqua Terra or the Pelagos as they'll work well as a casual watch and won't look too out of place with suits. Dive watches for me are a little bit over the top with a tux but that's just me. In the end make sure you like the watch. Decent discounts can be had on omegas so make sure you are taking advantage rather than pay MSRP.
My TT Sub looked great with my tux!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 10:26 AM   #5
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
My TT Sub looked great with my tux!

[/IMG]

I should of been more specific. The omega divers with the helium escape valves are a little bit much imo. The omega divers are super sporty. The subs are a bit more refined. Although I would say subs are just fine I'm not so sure about a dssd that might be a little bit too beefy unless you are very tall
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:01 PM   #6
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

IMHO.. Pick something exceptionally robust and timeless. Since whenever you look at that watch it will remind you of your wedding, the last thing you want to see is a broken watch or a out dated watch that you regret buying.. it almost feels like a bad omen .. haha
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:02 PM   #7
Cozmopak
"TRF" Member

Not sure what your price range is. This is a gorgeous watch for sale:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/vach...le-set.106919/
Cozmopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 05:58 PM   #8
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Wedding watches have traditionally been dress watches but it seems you're looking for more of a one and only versatile daily wearer on a bracelet that will look okay on your special day. If that's the case, your idea of the Omega Aquaterra on a bracelet is probably one of the best examples out there for such a watch, as it's both somewhat dressy and somewhat sporty. It's also an excellent value. You might also consider the Omega Globemaster on a bracelet, which is a bit dressier but also very versatile.

Your idea of the Breitling Super Ocean Heritage II is also a good suggestion but it's on the sportier side because it's a dive watch. Still, it's definitely a dressy diver and is a great value for around $3,000 new on the grey market or nicely discounted at an authorized dealer. It uses a Tudor movement and the Milanese bracelet is gorgeous and comfortable.

Any of these three watches will easily stand the test the time in terms of both design and quality.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote