The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 March 2021, 01:18 AM   #1
baamvino
"TRF" Member

Discount rate on ALS

I'm in the market for a Lange and leaning toward either the Lange 1 or the 1815 Up/Down, both in white gold. However, I talked to my Boutique and they told me that they’re not offering any discount on all models they carry.

Unless I’m after a boutique exclusive model, I see no point of purchasing at full price(correct me if I’m wrong). What is the typical discount rate I should expect at an Ad?(U.S.) Are ADs still offer some decent discount? I am asking since ALS seems to control the market price recetly.
baamvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 01:31 AM   #2
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Did you talk in person? It helps if you set your credit card and ID on the tray while asking for 10% off.
Old 15 March 2021, 01:33 AM   #3
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
If you don't plan to acquire hard to get from them in the future, there is no need to pay higher price than the trusted grey dealer.

Check the market price from internet or call TS at TRF.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 01:37 AM   #4
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Discounts becoming tough and there isn’t a whole lot of supply on secondary market either. If its going to be a keeper, might be worth it to buy and be original owner plus establish relationship for future pieces
Old 15 March 2021, 02:09 AM   #5
baamvino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Discounts becoming tough and there isn’t a whole lot of supply on secondary market either. If its going to be a keeper, might be worth it to buy and be original owner plus establish relationship for future pieces
Is discount becoming tough even from the Authorized Dealers? :(
Old 15 March 2021, 02:11 AM   #6
baamvino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
If you don't plan to acquire hard to get from them in the future, there is no need to pay higher price than the trusted grey dealer.

Check the market price from internet or call TS at TRF.
Thanks. Not many pieces on the secondary market though. Trying to find a good grey dealer.
Old 15 March 2021, 02:16 AM   #7
aerolord
"TRF" Member

You might consider to purchase tomorrow. IIRC, the price increment kicks in in a day or two... This year the price incremental is pretty substantial.
aerolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 03:10 AM   #8
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Price increase kicks in Monday, so go now if you're going to buy.

ADs have offered me 10% off as an initial starting point. Boutiques are strictly no discount.

Also heard a rumour ADs will be kicked out over time starting in Asia as ALS is also going boutique only.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 03:40 AM   #9
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I was in Shreve and Crumpet in Boston yesterday and. they had some of these models in stock. I have the card of who I spoke with and can send to you if interested.. PM me. I also know another dealer who might have some in stock.. I can also send you their contact information

Quote:
Originally Posted by baamvino View Post
I'm in the market for a Lange and leaning toward either the Lange 1 or the 1815 Up/Down, both in white gold. However, I talked to my Boutique and they told me that they’re not offering any discount on all models they carry.

Unless I’m after a boutique exclusive model, I see no point of purchasing at full price(correct me if I’m wrong). What is the typical discount rate I should expect at an Ad?(U.S.) Are ADs still offer some decent discount? I am asking since ALS seems to control the market price recetly.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 11:55 AM   #10
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Discounts definitely look on the way out for Lange, they really want to keep pushing the brand more upscale which is the inverse of discounting.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 01:01 PM   #11
jtli202
"TRF" Member

agree with the poster above, discounts on the way out. you can probably still get discounts on some of the less desirable models, but 1815 chronos, datographs, zeitwerks, i don't see much discounting there at all
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 04:02 AM   #12
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtli202 View Post
agree with the poster above, discounts on the way out. you can probably still get discounts on some of the less desirable models, but 1815 chronos, datographs, zeitwerks, i don't see much discounting there at all
I love Lange as much as the next guy and think their manual wind chronos are the best out there, but if they think datos will be flying off the shelves at 100k, they can think again. Bad move by ALS.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 04:59 AM   #13
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
I love Lange as much as the next guy and think their manual wind chronos are the best out there, but if they think datos will be flying off the shelves at 100k, they can think again. Bad move by ALS.
On the contrary, removing any discounts is the absolute best thing Lange can do. Only by stabilising the secondary market can the brand realise it’s potential and this is achieved by removing the thought that a new piece always comes with a discount.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 06:12 AM   #14
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
On the contrary, removing any discounts is the absolute best thing Lange can do. Only by stabilising the secondary market can the brand realise it’s potential and this is achieved by removing the thought that a new piece always comes with a discount.
Agreed.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 06:19 AM   #15
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
This is 100% accurate...

I wasn't into Journe when that juggernaut took off, but I'm willing to bet it was the same song and dance there a few years ago. People complained and said "oh, the brand is killing itself". Well, we all know where they are now.

I'm not at all suggesting Lange will follow the same course as Journe...Lange literally makes 5 to 6 times as many watches. However, the only way to end this vicious cycle of expectations of discounts and lagging secondary values is to do something about it and I applaud Lange for doing something.

Will it work? Time will tell...
Old 16 March 2021, 06:41 AM   #16
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

The age of discounts on this brand is gone. Collectors have been flocking on ALS like a souring IPO investment. Betteridge AD had some nice ALS on their pre-owned site for months and now they are moving fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 01:40 PM   #17
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Yeah looks like no discounts anymore
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 09:15 PM   #18
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

A boutique in London (selling various watch brands) did offer me a nominal discount on a Lange when I asked what they would do as I was already buying a Rolex from that store anyway. Circa 4.3%, which wasn’t enough to sway me to make a bundle purchase, but I was pleasantly surprised... (being a repeat Rolex customer may have helped).
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2021, 06:25 AM   #19
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
I can not believe it but many boutiques are currently sold out of the dato and 1815 chrono are sold out throughout the boutique network currently.
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote