The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 10 June 2020, 09:47 PM   #1
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Advice please - first time trying to buy on C24, got ghosted

I opened a chat with a dealer for a NOS Rolex. They ghosted me after I sent this rather lengthy request for additional photos.

--
a. The dial - set time to 8.45, GMT hand to the 4 position (= 8 position on the GMT bezel), set date to 17th
b. Close up of each of the 4 lugs
c. Crystal & bezel at an angle with light's reflection (want to see if there are any scratches)
d. Case side (both sides) & crown
e. Case back
f. Bracelet clasp
g. Photo of the bracelet open
h. Photo of watch, box and papers together
i. Open the paper and take a photo
j. Remove the bracelet, take photo of the serial number (must match papers)
k. Open the case back to show the movement
--

I admit the list is pretty long and it looks like a lot of work. However, the theme of the advice I read online was to be as thorough as possible. The listing already had some of the photos I requested, but my concern was they weren't high res - ie you couldn't see the tiny uni-directional lines of the brushing on the case. So even though the watch is still stickered, I can't see if there's any scratches etc. Perhaps I've asked for too much too soon.

Anyway I was looking for advice:
1) How do you guys typically engage with the dealer? (getting all your detailed questions answered without them putting you in the the "too hard" basket)

2) Does the type of questions you ask differ depending on whether it's been worn vs never worn/NOS? (In a different interaction, a seller basically shouted at me for asking whether the NOS he was selling had any blemishes or scratches.)

3) And what's the best way for me to salvage this interaction? the dealer's profile seems solid, they were responsive before I sent the above and they really want the piece.
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 09:49 PM   #2
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
They probably didn’t want to take the time since someone else is likely going to come around and buy it in the coming days.
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:04 PM   #3
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

I think the simple answer is to be reasonable. I’d ghost you myself if I received the same request, which seems a bit much IMHO.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:12 PM   #4
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you are a difficult buyer, I would also ghost. If the seller are established and thrustworthy overall plus there are good pics already why bother you will probably never be satisfied and might come back later for non-issues. Saw Paul Thorpe (YouTube channel) make this characterisation of Omega buyers.

I have sold a couple of watches and bought several thru C24. I avoid difficult people that zoom in x100 and ask about scratches etc. Sometimes we exchange LinkedIn profiles to verify identity.

Having said all that, the Australian scammer selling fake Daytonas have made me more cautious.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:17 PM   #5
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

If you're anxious about buying grey, don't buy grey
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:19 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Being in Hong Kong, I would have agreed to meet you so you could inspect the watch, which would probably be easier than complying with your entire list (especially the last one).
Old 10 June 2020, 10:20 PM   #7
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
Yeah I would prob do the same with a list like that.Ive dealt with many on chrono24 and never had an issue.I use the dealers that have verified reviews and been on there a few years.I can see a. Couple questions that many and I think anyone would disappear unless it’s a 100k watch.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:20 PM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post

I admit the list is pretty long and it looks like a lot of work.

How do you guys typically engage with the dealer? (getting all your detailed questions answered without them putting you in the the "too hard" basket)
Would you have actually bought the watch?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:21 PM   #9
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Buy the seller
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:23 PM   #10
bleighs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711 CHNR
What a list! Too much, unless it's a 200k watch why would they do all that, especially open the movement or take off the bracelet. It's supposedly a new watch, if they do that it wouldn't be new anymore, right?

I don't think you can salvage. You probably raised red flags as a high maintenance case. After you receive the watch, what could happen afterwards. Move on, maybe.
bleighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:26 PM   #11
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
I opened a chat with a dealer for a NOS Rolex. They ghosted me after I sent this rather lengthy request for additional photos.

I sell items on ebay and my policy is to block any potential buyers who ask too many questions. My experience and expectation is that an unreasonable potential buyer will likely make claims once they receive the item.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:32 PM   #12
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

1. Too many questions. If I were a seller, I wouldn’t ghost you, but tell you I am not interested in the sale and you should source from AD.

2. Seller probably doesn’t have the watch on hand anyway. Very common with Chrono24 listings.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:39 PM   #13
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
If I was the seller, not a chance in hell I would sell you anything.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:39 PM   #14
3 Putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
There is a fine line between due diligence and being difficult. I appreciate your thoroughness. Maybe next time you should space out the requests over several messages vs. one long detailed one.
Old 10 June 2020, 10:44 PM   #15
ahafs1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
I think the simple answer is to be reasonable. I’d ghost you myself if I received the same request, which seems a bit much IMHO.
x2
ahafs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:51 PM   #16
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I would've ghosted you also but don't let us influence you. If these requests make you comfortable then find a dealer that will oblige.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 11:01 PM   #17
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

--
a. The dial - set time to 8.45, GMT hand to the 4 position (= 8 position on the GMT bezel), set date to 17th
b. Close up of each of the 4 lugs
c. Crystal & bezel at an angle with light's reflection (want to see if there are any scratches)
d. Case side (both sides) & crown
e. Case back
f. Bracelet clasp
g. Photo of the bracelet open
h. Photo of watch, box and papers together
i. Open the paper and take a photo
--

I admit the list is pretty long and it looks like a lot of work. However, the theme of the advice I read online was to be as thorough as possible. The listing already had some of the photos I requested, but my concern was they weren't high res - ie you couldn't see the tiny uni-directional lines of the brushing on the case. So even though the watch is still stickered, I can't see if there's any scratches etc. Perhaps I've asked for too much too soon.

Anyway I was looking for advice:
1) How do you guys typically engage with the dealer? (getting all your detailed questions answered without them putting you in the the "too hard" basket)

2) Does the type of questions you ask differ depending on whether it's been worn vs never worn/NOS? (In a different interaction, a seller basically shouted at me for asking whether the NOS he was selling had any blemishes or scratches.)

3) And what's the best way for me to salvage this interaction? the dealer's profile seems solid, they were responsive before I sent the above and they really want the piece.

C24 gives you 14 days to cancel the purchase agreement for “any” reason and “no” reason at all when you buy from a dealer vis trusted checkout.

This starts after you receive the watch.

You get your money back with no questions asked.

Buy with a CC for another layer of protection.

This doesn’t apply to private sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 June 2020, 11:04 PM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I sell things on line. Not watches.

I deal with enquiries and what I regard as reasonable questions promptly and politely. When I get an enquiry with a long list of questions, experience has taught me that they tend to follow up with more questions and ultimately don't buy. If I get such enquiries I ignore them. It is possible that I am binning some genuine potential sales, but it's not worth my time. My feedback, ratings and guarantees should be enough. If someone doesn't trust me they should buy from someone else.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 11:05 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
They probably didn’t want to take the time since someone else is likely going to come around and buy it in the coming days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Sounds like you are a difficult buyer, I would also ghost. If the seller are established and thrustworthy overall plus there are good pics already why bother you will probably never be satisfied and might come back later for non-issues. Saw Paul Thorpe (YouTube channel) make this characterisation of Omega buyers.

I have sold a couple of watches and bought several thru C24. I avoid difficult people that zoom in x100 and ask about scratches etc. Sometimes we exchange LinkedIn profiles to verify identity.

Having said all that, the Australian scammer selling fake Daytonas have made me more cautious.
Have to agree the OP is bordering on the ridiculous to think any retail would do what he asks.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 11:07 PM   #20
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t open the back of the watch, it won’t be new anymore.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 11:17 PM   #21
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I sell things on line. Not watches.

I deal with enquiries and what I regard as reasonable questions promptly and politely. When I get an enquiry with a long list of questions, experience has taught me that they tend to follow up with more questions and ultimately don't buy. If I get such enquiries I ignore them. It is possible that I am binning some genuine potential sales, but it's not worth my time. My feedback, ratings and guarantees should be enough. If someone doesn't trust me they should buy from someone else.
I was formerly in the vacation rental business and learned to be very discriminating about accepting renters. If a potential one asked too many questions I discontinued communications and, or, refused their reservation request.
The problem with "customer review" system is that buyers/customers use it as a tool of extortion.
Old 10 June 2020, 11:19 PM   #22
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
It's fair enough that people suggest that I keep my requests reasonable, but as I haven't done this before I don't have a frame of reference as to what's "reasonable". Initially I thought the list of requested photos which comprehensively cover the whole watch would be reasonable considering the price of the watch is $20k. If that's not reasonable then what is?

So far there's a lot of feedback saying not to do it the way I did, but could someone give an example of how they've previously handled it with a dealer? E.g. do you:

1) ask a lot of questions, but space them out so it's not too much at once (but then your pre-purchase conversation ends up spanning multiple days)
2) ask fewer questions, and bank more on your judgement of the seller's feedback rating on C24 + other customer feedback you've managed to find outside the platform
3) maybe some kind of middle ground where you only ask the "most important questions" - what are they for you?
4) some other approach?
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 11:20 PM   #23
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
I wouldn’t give out the serial number, remove the bracelet or case back. I would reply politely though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 11:25 PM   #24
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Too much work for the trouble.

And I think opening up the case back for a NOS basically defeats the purpose of NOS. Don’t think anyone would agree to that.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 11:31 PM   #25
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's fair enough that people suggest that I keep my requests reasonable, but as I haven't done this before I don't have a frame of reference as to what's "reasonable". Initially I thought the list of requested photos which comprehensively cover the whole watch would be reasonable considering the price of the watch is $20k. If that's not reasonable then what is?

So far there's a lot of feedback saying not to do it the way I did, but could someone give an example of how they've previously handled it with a dealer? E.g. do you:

1) ask a lot of questions, but space them out so it's not too much at once (but then your pre-purchase conversation ends up spanning multiple days)
2) ask fewer questions, and bank more on your judgement of the seller's feedback rating on C24 + other customer feedback you've managed to find outside the platform
3) maybe some kind of middle ground where you only ask the "most important questions" - what are they for you?
4) some other approach?
Why don't you buy a Rolex from your local AD , at a shop where you may see and touch the watch you want to buy ?
Buying a $20K watch via the internet requires a level of trust that does not seem to be a good fit for you.
Old 10 June 2020, 11:33 PM   #26
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

For non trusted members. I cant see why removing the caseback would be too much of a job. Tools are cheap online, a 4th grader can probably do it without a scratch. And it would be a buy or no buy depending on the chinz factor under there. Have to admit that is a lengthy list.
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 11:52 PM   #27
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Yeah, for a NOS, particularly these 2 would be a no-go:

faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 12:00 AM   #28
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Woah, that’s a big request. I think as others have mentioned they have put things in place for buyer satisfaction, plenty of options if your not happy. No way I would have responded to this list...
Old 11 June 2020, 12:23 AM   #29
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Woah, that’s a big request. I think as others have mentioned they have put things in place for buyer satisfaction, plenty of options if your not happy. No way I would have responded to this list...
I totally agree; I would not have responded either. Were I the seller I would view the buyer at the very least as "difficult" and as someone who would likely require continuing tedious inputs.

If you are not happy with what a seller provides - or their response (or lack thereof) - move on. That is what I have done in the past.

Any seller has no responsibility (nor desire or time) to custom tailor his life to each and every potential buyer.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 12:24 AM   #30
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Buy the seller
+1. I look at the seller's reviews/reputation. If I buy from a forum member, then I look at their post count. Also ask for references. These tips help but there is no guarantee. You have to be somewhat comfortable with the risk of buying online.

I think it is reasonable to ask for additional photos of the watch, setting the watch to a specific time. Everything else may seem too much and will scare off the seller.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote