The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2019, 03:14 AM   #121
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Most quality auto dealers will not install an aftermarket part. No difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 03:38 AM   #122
g_luck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Most quality auto dealers will not install an aftermarket part. No difference.

Actually, the difference is that Rolex not only let you but suggested you do if for many, many years. Their business model has changed. Not that long ago my AD sold Nato straps and leather straps to compliment your newly purchased Rolex. So there is a difference.

Look at the ads of Paul Newman's Daytona. I doubt that was an original Rolex strap yet they didn't have any trouble using it for marketing.
g_luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 04:03 AM   #123
Fatso
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
I don't think Rolex will actually stop servicing old watches. What Rolex won't accept is taking responsibility for fragile old tritium dials and hands with lume that is about to fall off. My 45 year old 1675 (with Luminova service dial) was fully serviced by Rolex Geneva a month ago, and on another forum a member had his 6542 authenticated by the heritage department at Rolex - Rolex is servicing that watch and custom manufacturing any required parts (obviously for a cost). So I don't think anyone needs to worry about getting an old watch repaired...
Tudor Day-Date (California dial)
Breil OKAY Manta
Fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 05:28 AM   #124
HK852GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 16610LV
My dear lady wife was gifted a Rolex by my father when we married. This thing is tiny (i still haven’t worked out what it is).

It wasn’t running, so we went to an AD initially. They told us it was dead. An affordable watchmaker was happy to create the parts. It isn’t the company, it’s the person.
HK852GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 05:30 AM   #125
kohe321
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatso View Post
I don't think Rolex will actually stop servicing old watches. What Rolex won't accept is taking responsibility for fragile old tritium dials and hands with lume that is about to fall off. My 45 year old 1675 (with Luminova service dial) was fully serviced by Rolex Geneva a month ago, and on another forum a member had his 6542 authenticated by the heritage department at Rolex - Rolex is servicing that watch and custom manufacturing any required parts (obviously for a cost). So I don't think anyone needs to worry about getting an old watch repaired...
That's interesting. I didn't know Rolex had a dedicated department for repairing especially old watches that even manufactures out of production parts if needed. I guess you'll have to mail them directly with such an inquiry, since it's not something that their normal service channels can do?

Would be cool to hear more about this. If true, Rolex climbs up quite a few notches in my book.
Old 25 May 2019, 06:44 AM   #126
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatso View Post
We want them serviced how WE want them serviced at a FAIR price,That isn’t happening with a Rolex service for vintage anymore.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 06:59 AM   #127
Swede71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II, BB41,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohe321 View Post
That's interesting. I didn't know Rolex had a dedicated department for repairing especially old watches that even manufactures out of production parts if needed. I guess you'll have to mail them directly with such an inquiry, since it's not something that their normal service channels can do?

Would be cool to hear more about this. If true, Rolex climbs up quite a few notches in my book.

I was told by a Rolex AD that Rolex calls it department of historical watches or something in that category. They can manufacture parts for vintage watches, but it will cost highly. Other old watch brands like Cartier do the same.

Swede71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 07:40 AM   #128
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

And next come the ADs. Watch.

jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 08:54 AM   #129
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnnj View Post
And next come the ADs. Watch.

Next comes the price increase. 2 thousand for a routine service.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 09:33 AM   #130
challer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
We want them serviced how WE want them serviced at a FAIR price,That isn’t happening with a Rolex service for vintage anymore.
What vendor would service old things your way rather than their way?
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 09:36 AM   #131
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Next comes the price increase. 2 thousand for a routine service.
Probably.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 10:48 AM   #132
jaroush
"TRF" Member

Depressing state of affairs. I'm done with Rolex. It's become a joke. The fake shortage of stainless steel sports models, while AD's have cases full of unsold, ugly PM datejusts in weird colors was bad enough. Cutting off the independent watchmakers who have done more for the industry than anyone else is the last straw. Rikki is one of the best in the world. Pathetic.
jaroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 10:52 AM   #133
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
What was the final outcome of Swatch/ETA stopping the supply of watch parts to other small manufacturers?
They never stopped, they threaten to stop and those companies went to other manufactures.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 11:16 AM   #134
ApriliaRider
"TRF" Member

Its news like this that dampens my enthusiasm for the brand. I was just getting into the Rolex thing because of a watch I inherited. I saw a vintage Rolex that was on consignment at a small local jewelry store that I was considering buying. It was in great condition and reasonably priced. These policies just rub me the wrong way.
ApriliaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 03:22 PM   #135
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

this happened years in Australia, there are no indies with parts accounts, I believe many other parts of the world other than the USA are like this too
Old 25 May 2019, 03:38 PM   #136
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
this happened years in Australia, there are no indies with parts accounts, I believe many other parts of the world other than the USA are like this too
Shed loads in the U.K. to choose from.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 11:20 PM   #137
g_luck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
What vendor would service old things your way rather than their way?
Please take a look at the thread "Thoughts on RSC issue" for a complete understanding of why indy shops are so important and why many of us who have been around Rolex for decades don't like the current situation.
g_luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 06:02 PM   #138
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDweller50 View Post
Shed loads in the U.K. to choose from.
...but for how much longer?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 08:04 PM   #139
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Very true. Worrying really.

SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:40 PM   #140
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Lack of parts for newer watch repairs will be found; the market place always fills a void.

I could see some independents forming a co-op for parts; they can purchase new watches at market prices then part them out as needed...

It would be awesome to listen in on the "hotlines" among them as they search out the needed parts for watches in for service!

As for older watch repairs, there is always eBay; I once found a crown for my 5513 Sub from a watch maker in Croatia!

Old 29 May 2019, 01:50 AM   #141
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
I’m fairly new here so I wanted to be sure it was kosher to do so. He shared this with me openly and did not instruct me not to share it, so I suppose you’re right.

The watchmaker is Rik Deitel.
I had the same conversation and was asked not to share it until further details emerged.

Rik is the best and I enjoy the freedom of choice of where my watches get repaired.

So now I'll extend this process for what brands I retain and/or choose to buy in the future.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 02:02 AM   #142
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, I’ll plan on telling all our home and auto service people this !!
Old 9 June 2019, 05:30 AM   #143
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Wow, I’ll plan on telling all our home and auto service people this !!
What does that have to do with Vintage Watch repairs? Nothing.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 05:49 AM   #144
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaroush View Post
Depressing state of affairs. I'm done with Rolex. It's become a joke. The fake shortage of stainless steel sports models, while AD's have cases full of unsold, ugly PM datejusts in weird colors was bad enough. Cutting off the independent watchmakers who have done more for the industry than anyone else is the last straw. Rikki is one of the best in the world. Pathetic.
Fake shortage? No, they can't keep up with demand and ADs keep and sell to who they want, high spending VIP buyers. Just simple business, not some dark Rolex master plan against the world, like it is portrayed here.

And Rolex is pulling accounts because they want everything under their control, service through large platforms, to ensure that everyone is getting the exact same quality of after sales service all over the world. Which is a good thing IMO.

Rikki has a good reputation and I'm sure he is as good as people say he is, but so are thousands of other watchmakers around the world, so you're making a pretty weird statement.

This anti Rolex, anti AD, anti RSC bullsh#te is getting a bit old. If you don't like the brand, then what are you even doing here in the first place?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 05:53 AM   #145
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What does that have to do with Vintage Watch repairs? Nothing.

It means that for all services price is determined by the seller and folks willing to purchase at that price.

Old 9 June 2019, 09:50 PM   #146
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
I recently found out about this, which affects not only Rik (awesome watchmaker, highly recommended) but also many other great independent watchmakers like LA Watchworks, ABC Watchwerks, Al Archer, Nesbit, etc. It is really sad as some of us rely on independent watchmakers which provide a more "boutique" approach service versus the mass servicing approach you get from some "authorized" brand service centers, no pun intended
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 10:42 PM   #147
D111s
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Barely 30 years ago my father could easily get parts to service his own Rolex, he’d be spinning in his grave if he could see what’s happened to the brand these days.

D111s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 11:18 PM   #148
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
I use an Independent Watchmaker.

He has a Rolex parts account.

He is where I get all the dials, bezels etc that want.

He does NOT work for a store. He is fully independent and only works 3 days a week (he likes playing golf far too much).

I have discussed the removal of parts accounts from watchmakers situation with him several times over the last 2 years.

He will be keeping his parts account. Rolex have told him that as he is Rolex trained, by Rolex in Switzerland that he will always keep his account.

He think the non Rolex trained watchmakers without a Rolex certificate are the ones loosing their accounts, whether they are an Independent watchmaker or an in Rolex AD store watchmaker.

It looks like the officially trained by Rolex themselves watchmakers are keeping their accounts.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 01:02 AM   #149
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesN View Post
I use an Independent Watchmaker.

He has a Rolex parts account.

He is where I get all the dials, bezels etc that want.

He does NOT work for a store. He is fully independent and only works 3 days a week (he likes playing golf far too much).

I have discussed the removal of parts accounts from watchmakers situation with him several times over the last 2 years.

He will be keeping his parts account. Rolex have told him that as he is Rolex trained, by Rolex in Switzerland that he will always keep his account.

He think the non Rolex trained watchmakers without a Rolex certificate are the ones loosing their accounts, whether they are an Independent watchmaker or an in Rolex AD store watchmaker.

It looks like the officially trained by Rolex themselves watchmakers are keeping their accounts.
I don’t think this is the case. Rik is Rolex trained and has done it all by their book for over three decades. It’s about streamlining and controlling the process, as the post above suggests.
JeanGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 01:10 AM   #150
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Fake shortage? No, they can't keep up with demand and ADs keep and sell to who they want, high spending VIP buyers. Just simple business, not some dark Rolex master plan against the world, like it is portrayed here.

And Rolex is pulling accounts because they want everything under their control, service through large platforms, to ensure that everyone is getting the exact same quality of after sales service all over the world. Which is a good thing IMO.

Rikki has a good reputation and I'm sure he is as good as people say he is, but so are thousands of other watchmakers around the world, so you're making a pretty weird statement.

This anti Rolex, anti AD, anti RSC bullsh#te is getting a bit old. If you don't like the brand, then what are you even doing here in the first place?
I agree with you it’s unlikely to be an evil master plan. However, I think you’re overstating how many watchmakers there are and misrepresenting what the outcome of this will be. How long do you think the turnaround will be for watches when the RSCs, some of which already have less than stellar reputations, are overwhelmed with ALL the service jobs? I can easily see customers becoming very frustrated with the brand if it takes months and months to complete a service that often costs $1500 and up.

People are here speaking out because they love the brand and it’s history, but are hugely disappointed by the way things are going. As has been hashed out in this thread, part of the appeal of a watch like a Rolex is the ability to keep it going indefinitely through service. What if I don’t want my dial changed? Or whatever else Rolex imposes on me if I send it to them for a service? It’s already been stated in this thread that the people this won’t affect are those who can afford plenty of Rolexes, predominantly buy new references, and will just pay whatever the service prices are at Rolex. Folks being upset about not being able to use trusted independent watchmakers is completely reasonable.
JeanGenie is offline   Reply With Quote