The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 22 May 2019, 02:33 AM   #151
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
This shot illustrates a subtle feature I hadn't noticed until just now - look closely at the 11 o'clock marker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
Agree. It’s a very pale and subtle yellow gold.
Old 22 May 2019, 02:41 AM   #152
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
This shot illustrates a subtle feature I hadn't noticed until just now - look closely at the 11 o'clock marker!
Wow, nice small detail.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 04:22 AM   #153
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I love the bracelet, the dial colors, and the new movement. The embellished subdial and price do not appeal to me. If the bracelet and movement are added to the base model in the future for a reasonable price, I'd add another.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 05:54 AM   #154
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

https://youtu.be/xTVS4T0DlaM
srleadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 09:20 AM   #155
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Thank you for that link!
Old 22 May 2019, 05:46 PM   #156
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkrypt View Post
Loosely related question: what is expected to happen to the "normal" Speedmaster Pro (hesalite!) in the future?
Will it get the new movement? Will they keep it as is?
Whatever happens I hope they don't change anything about it, EXCEPT the movement. Or even just keep the movement the same, since that is how the watch was certified for space travel.
I would think a change will be coming in at some point to the standard speedy. If only for the fact that it would allow Omega to ramp up the prices. Would be a great time to buy a new one now for $3.5k. My reservation though is that for a little more I could get a tritium dial version on the better looking 90s bracelets which (IMO) look way better.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 10:49 PM   #157
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkrypt View Post
Loosely related question: what is expected to happen to the "normal" Speedmaster Pro (hesalite!) in the future?
Will it get the new movement? Will they keep it as is?
Whatever happens I hope they don't change anything about it, EXCEPT the movement. Or even just keep the movement the same, since that is how the watch was certified for space travel.

Agree w you- I think they will keep the same. I don’t think they will upgrade the movement as it would require getting it recertified for space (I assume). Personally, they only thing I’d love to see changed is the bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 01:23 AM   #158
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

A lot of coin for an LE when a brand spanking new speedy can be add for 4 grand and less second hand. I get it , it is an “LE” but 10 grand for a spec of gold a cool box and a footprint seems like a lot to me.

There are some aspects of the watch I like (bracelet , color of the dial) but a serious stretch and I really don’t see the movement bits adding any value . This is a hand cranker that has been around since the invention of the wheel and adding some coax and whatnot imho doesn’t justify the giant leap for a man price wise and no I don’t see this as an investment and never will be
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 07:34 AM   #159
Ahfe
"TRF" Member

Can anyone confirm the availability till now, some say sold out some say 100 left while others say 20..
Personally, I don't see omega having hard time selling those, as far as investment, it will be a long time before we know..
Ahfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:02 AM   #160
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
A lot of coin for an LE when a brand spanking new speedy can be add for 4 grand and less second hand. I get it , it is an “LE” but 10 grand for a spec of gold a cool box and a footprint seems like a lot to me.

There are some aspects of the watch I like (bracelet , color of the dial) but a serious stretch and I really don’t see the movement bits adding any value . This is a hand cranker that has been around since the invention of the wheel and adding some coax and whatnot imho doesn’t justify the giant leap for a man price wise and no I don’t see this as an investment and never will be
It’s a nice change of pace for folks who are tired of waiting for a Sport Rolex or SS PP. Not everyone is sweating the ROI time frame on all watches. Don’t get me wrong. It’s a $10,000 time piece. At the same time, it’s not a bad price for something that will appeal to 6969 folks.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:16 AM   #161
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary - Stainless Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemeister View Post
It’s a nice change of pace for folks who are tired of waiting for a Sport Rolex or SS PP. Not everyone is sweating the ROI time frame on all watches. Don’t get me wrong. It’s a $10,000 time piece. At the same time, it’s not a bad price for something that will appeal to 6969 folks.

I am one of the Rolex folks pending delivery for 1.5 year for a Pepsi but ultimately the watch has to speak to the person and here while the presentation is cool it isn’t for me . Too cluttered but again like you are saying 6969 isn’t that large a number for the planet
Old 23 May 2019, 09:20 AM   #162
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahfe View Post
Can anyone confirm the availability till now, some say sold out some say 100 left while others say 20..
Personally, I don't see omega having hard time selling those, as far as investment, it will be a long time before we know..

US market sold out days ago. According to my boutique, they were only allocated 600 pieces and another 400 pieces for ADs. Of course, some people will back out so it’s best to get on a list now if you’re even remotely interested.
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:47 AM   #163
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
The watch looks great... really like the bracelet...
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 11:38 AM   #164
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
I am one of the Rolex folks pending delivery for 1.5 year for a Pepsi but ultimately the watch has to speak to the person and here while the presentation is cool it isn’t for me . Too cluttered but again like you are saying 6969 isn’t that large a number for the planet
We all think about watches a lot. And not so long ago, all the ones in demand were widely available. So, it was okay to take a pass and figure you could always get the one you want later on.

I wish I had taken pictures in 2014 of the on display Rolex inventory. Both SS Daytonas, GMTs, DeepSeas, etc. Also Aquanauts and Nautilus (white only). Now it takes forever, unless you buy grey market and I don’t like that business model.

For me personally, I don’t have anything that looks like the 50th model and I like the bling of it and the grey dial and the pale gold. What I don’t like is Omega pandering to their brand ambassador and putting his image on the front of the watch. But it’s not a huge deal. What to show instead? I’m not sure what would be better. The emblem has been done. The moon itself? Nahhh... Luckily it is a tiny image.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 11:44 AM   #165
Ahfe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemeister View Post
We all think about watches a lot. And not so long ago, all the ones in demand were widely available. So, it was okay to take a pass and figure you could always get the one you want later on.

I wish I had taken pictures in 2014 of the on display Rolex inventory. Both SS Daytonas, GMTs, DeepSeas, etc. Also Aquanauts and Nautilus (white only). Now it takes forever, unless you buy grey market and I don’t like that business model.

For me personally, I don’t have anything that looks like the 50th model and I like the bling of it and the grey dial and the pale gold. What I don’t like is Omega pandering to their brand ambassador and putting his image on the front of the watch. But it’s not a huge deal. What to show instead? I’m not sure what would be better. The emblem has been done. The moon itself? Nahhh... Luckily it is a tiny image.
Show his image while walking on the moon, the rocket itself or lunar landing itself..
Ahfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 12:14 PM   #166
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahfe View Post
Show his image while walking on the moon, the rocket itself or lunar landing itself..

I had offered the lunar module as the thing to show since the footprint in the back and the module would complement each other nicely.
Since this was an effort by many 10s of 1000s of people to get a few dudes on the moon it seems that the whole accomplishment should have been celebrated and not just the symbol of the 2nd guy on a ladder .
The module and the footprint would have been very good to represent the considerable engineering marvel to get it built and up there and the amazing respect for a few brave souls to get there w it and walking on the moon .
Old 29 May 2019, 06:21 PM   #167
rolex01
"TRF" Member

looks awesome and I just called my OB to secured an allocation.
rolex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 01:10 AM   #168
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

I mostly like it. Not too sold on the sub-dial picture. The movement improvements seem interesting.

But I think the price is too steep, and it kinda looks too much like this one (that I already own):

(And BTW, these were limited to only 1972 pieces....)
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 08:23 PM   #169
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
I mostly like it. Not too sold on the sub-dial picture. The movement improvements seem interesting.

But I think the price is too steep, and it kinda looks too much like this one (that I already own):

In fact your look better to my eyes
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 01:15 AM   #170
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post

Looks very close and I like it a lot except for the bracelet. I’m not a fan of the standard Speedy bracelet. For me, that is what makes the 50th a stand out.
Old 31 May 2019, 03:22 AM   #171
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
In fact your look better to my eyes
Agree! That's pretty close to the 50th I WANTED them to make
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 10:08 AM   #172
Buschy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I actually like the sub dial. I think it is great looking piece
Buschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 08:34 PM   #173
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I really want to like this release and I keep coming back to take a another look. Just can not convince myself to like it and at this price point.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 10:29 PM   #174
jaym1
"TRF" Member

love the model except the astro butt...
jaym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 10:30 PM   #175
Redadmiral2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 D-Blue
Friend of mine works in omega boutique and they reckon this is going to be the omega that everyone wants to collect.
It will stand head and shoulders above any limited editions they have produced in the last 10 years.
People are actually flipping these watches before they have even received them.
I’ve been offered £2,000.00 abov retail price but I’m buying it to keep.
With it being a 50 year anniversary it’s hitting the sweet spot of 50 plus year olds I was 6 when the moon landing took place and remember it quite well in the early hours after my father got me up to watch it in good old black and white.
Redadmiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 12:04 AM   #176
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I was at a couple of Omega places in London this week and they were not getting very excited about it at all! Too many, too expensive.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 12:28 AM   #177
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadmiral2 View Post
Friend of mine works in omega boutique and they reckon this is going to be the omega that everyone wants to collect.
It will stand head and shoulders above any limited editions they have produced in the last 10 years.
People are actually flipping these watches before they have even received them.
I’ve been offered £2,000.00 abov retail price but I’m buying it to keep.
With it being a 50 year anniversary it’s hitting the sweet spot of 50 plus year olds I was 6 when the moon landing took place and remember it quite well in the early hours after my father got me up to watch it in good old black and white.
This was the same comment I got at my local Omega Boutique. It has even gone beyond popularity of the last Snoopy. And I had the same experience with my Dad 50 years ago. I was 19 at the time, and it was overall a banner year for me.

There are always things with any watch that we think could have been done better. I will wait until I see it in real life, to make that judgment. Regardless of what Omega does with this watch, it still brings back amazing memories for me, and will likely be one I will always treasure.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 5 June 2019, 11:02 AM   #178
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
I got the rare chance to see the 50th in the flesh today I'm not 100% sold (...yet ) and there is that small detail of a €9.1K price tag...

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 11:35 AM   #179
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
I got the rare chance to see the 50th in the flesh today I'm not 100% sold (...yet ) and there is that small detail of a €9.1K price tag...
Cool! Would love to hear more.....What are you not sold on? What did you like? Does it look better in person than the photo's? I think the price is a sticking point for a lot of people, yet no one blinks an eye spending twice that on a similar Rolex??? Yes, I know Rolex retains their value but I think the moonwatch is actually very cheap by todays standards so the price of this piece is slightly alarming compared to the regular one but if you just take the watch for what it is, it isn't over priced IMO.

Anyway, I would love to hear and see more.
Old 5 June 2019, 11:42 AM   #180
psv
"TRF" Member

The last thing I want is someone's ass on the dial of my watch.

This is a missed opportunity from Omega. Huge miss.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote