The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2019, 09:47 AM   #1
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Rolex pulling most indy parts accounts

So I currently have my 16014 being serviced with one of the highly recommended watchmakers on this forum, who has had a parts account and has been in the business over 30 years. When I checked in today about my watch I learned Rolex abruptly ended their relationship with him. They were allowing one final parts order for all current repairs he has going. The watchmaker told me he assumed this day would come, but that how sudden it was came as a surprise. He said everyone he knows who have been trusted watchmakers with accounts have lost them one by one, and that his understanding is Rolex is effectively ending all independent watchmaker relationships, forcing all repairs to be done through the RSC’s.

I have to say, I find this staggeringly disappointing and a major turn off to the brand. I absolutely love Rolex’s aesthetics, especially the classic pieces. But ending the independent watchmaker market when Rolex doesn’t really restore older and vintage pieces is just obnoxious. I assume Rolex has their reasons, and this likely is a decision meant to increase profit. Still, it makes me want to disassociate myself with them.
JeanGenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:29 AM   #2
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon15

It’s business... since they are going to lock up all the repair business, then they should lower their prices, OR treat the customers that have special requests with special processes. So if some doesn’t want a polish, they don’t get a polish

If they scratch someone’s watch, then don’t charge for the service.

Rolex RSC should follow exactly what the customer wants...

Are they doing this in Europe as well, or in other far away lands??

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Shameful behavior. I would question whether it is legal. It's like Toyota forcing all car owners to get servicing and repairs done through their dealerships or Samsung making you take your phone back to them every time. This is when the law needs to step in and protect the consumer.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:48 AM   #4
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
This would mean that the wait to get your watch back from RSC will certainly increase.
Old 23 May 2019, 10:52 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Interesting development if true everywhere.

I really like the idea of having boutique like businesses who specialize in vintage repairs especially.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 11:42 AM   #6
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
This is my opinion from from sources i know and trust. If any of you are paying attention Rolex USA is going to a new structure. They will be going to a lot less ADs and doing away with independent watchmaker accounts in the USA within the next 12 months (they did this globally already)The few ADs that will be left will have (newly trained) watchmakers in them and will be like mini service centers. They will not service anything with a 1570 or earlier movement. The Ads will offer 5 years service on top of the 5 years from Rolex. You will not have a choice were to service your watch other than them (no parts for newer calibers anywhere)and they will tell you how much and if they want to do it. How would you like to buy something knowing nobody can get parts for it? Well folks this is sad but imho true. They are not the first brand to do this but for those of us that want to buy a product and do as we like with it its terrible news. Rolex is a jewelery brand now focusing on 2 tones and precious metal watches. They make a great product but with prices more than the average car and no choices other than them for service i would think twice before purchasing another new watch.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 11:48 AM   #7
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Rolex needs to be very careful, especially in the United States and Europe. Antitrust laws look dangerously looming with this type of behavior.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 12:26 PM   #8
Zack1978
"TRF" Member

I hope Rikk still has his account....his service was beyond spectacular!
Zack1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Zack1978
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
This is my opinion from from sources i know and trust. If any of you are paying attention Rolex USA is going to a new structure. They will be going to a lot less ADs and doing away with independent watchmaker accounts in the USA within the next 12 months (they did this globally already)The few ADs that will be left will have (newly trained) watchmakers in them and will be like mini service centers. They will not service anything with a 1570 or earlier movement. The Ads will offer 5 years service on top of the 5 years from Rolex. You will not have a choice were to service your watch other than them (no parts for newer calibers anywhere)and they will tell you how much and if they want to do it. How would you like to buy something knowing nobody can get parts for it? Well folks this is sad but imho true. They are not the first brand to do this but for those of us that want to buy a product and do as we like with it its terrible news. Rolex is a jewelery brand now focusing on 2 tones and precious metal watches. They make a great product but with prices more than the average car and no choices other than them for service i would think twice before purchasing another new watch.
Based upon your response much of the "older" watches would be totally useless since no service can be done?
Old 23 May 2019, 12:35 PM   #10
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack1978 View Post
Based upon your response much of the "older" watches would be totally useless since no service can be done?
There’s lots of parts for these still around. The supply will go down every year and basically you’ll have to hunt for parts to fix your watch. Much better position than the new watches there are no parts around. I’m sure somebody will fill the void with Asian made parts not something I’d want but the opportunity is enormous for them.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 01:09 PM   #11
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
There’s lots of parts for these still around. The supply will go down every year and basically you’ll have to hunt for parts to fix your watch. Much better position than the new watches there are no parts around. I’m sure somebody will fill the void with Asian made parts not something I’d want but the opportunity is enormous for them.
That’s really too bad. I assume the 3035 and the like will be serviceable?
JeanGenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 01:18 PM   #12
exador
Banned

Omega started doing this a few years ago.

I wonder if California's Right to Repair bill would prevent this?
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 01:35 PM   #13
CalSRQ1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack1978 View Post
I hope Rikk still has his account....his service was beyond spectacular!
Amen
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 01:38 PM   #14
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
My indy just had his account pulled. His Dad original got the account back in the 60's. Rolex said they wanted their RCS to be the only people to have access to parts.

Luckily for right now parts are everywhere. That is until they start to dry up.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:21 PM   #15
Quamby
"TRF" Member

But what about those old and damaged Rolex which some Rolex Service Centers would refuse to even touch them? Owners of these watches will have nowhere to go now.

A friend of mine in Sydney had inherited a Rolex from his father and it suffered damage by seawater. The Rolex Service Center refused to touch it and at the end, it was repaired and brought back to working order by an independent Master Watchmaker who hand-made many replacement parts.
Quamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:37 PM   #16
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Personally, I’d think twice about a Rolex in the future. They have just gone too far if this policy is indeed true.
Old 23 May 2019, 02:45 PM   #17
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
So I currently have my 16014 being serviced with one of the highly recommended watchmakers on this forum, who has had a parts account and has been in the business over 30 years. When I checked in today about my watch I learned Rolex abruptly ended their relationship with him. They were allowing one final parts order for all current repairs he has going. The watchmaker told me he assumed this day would come, but that how sudden it was came as a surprise. He said everyone he knows who have been trusted watchmakers with accounts have lost them one by one, and that his understanding is Rolex is effectively ending all independent watchmaker relationships, forcing all repairs to be done through the RSC’s.

I have to say, I find this staggeringly disappointing and a major turn off to the brand. I absolutely love Rolex’s aesthetics, especially the classic pieces. But ending the independent watchmaker market when Rolex doesn’t really restore older and vintage pieces is just obnoxious. I assume Rolex has their reasons, and this likely is a decision meant to increase profit. Still, it makes me want to disassociate myself with them.
Rolex has become this giant that you can't F with anymore. Thus, if you want to get your watch fixed, they can bill you whatever they want to or you can take your broken watch back and put it in the drawer, because no one else will be able to fix it.

This doesn't even come as a surprise as Rolex has been doing some serious changes in pushing their brand name and cornering their business to within their own realm.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:46 PM   #18
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
Personally, I’d think twice about a Rolex in the future. They have just gone too far if this policy is indeed true.
Agreed
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:50 PM   #19
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
If true, (I don't doubt that it is), Rolex just "jumped the shark".
Old 23 May 2019, 03:01 PM   #20
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
It’s business... since they are going to lock up all the repair business, then they should lower their prices, OR treat the customers that have special requests with special processes. So if some doesn’t want a polish, they don’t get a polish

If they scratch someone’s watch, then don’t charge for the service.

Rolex RSC should follow exactly what the customer wants...

Are they doing this in Europe as well, or in other far away lands??
Europese doesn't have independent watchmakers with Rolex parts accounts. It is RSC and AD authorized service center only.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:32 PM   #21
kegan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
No need to give it a thought at all, if this is true I’ll toss my watches in the trash
Before i give Rolex another dime
kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:39 PM   #22
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Europese doesn't have independent watchmakers with Rolex parts accounts. It is RSC and AD authorized service center only.
I know off some in the UK
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:40 PM   #23
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
UK is a different thing than mainland EU.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 04:18 PM   #24
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegan View Post
No need to give it a thought at all, if this is true I’ll toss my watches in the trash
Before i give Rolex another dime
Well, I’m not going that far with my YM40, will continue to enjoy it, but will think harder about that Breguet I’ve had my eye on.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/br...17-introducing
Old 23 May 2019, 04:33 PM   #25
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
I’m just about to use William Rice because I want to get a 16710 serviced and have the seconds hand repaired without replacing the tritium with a new superluminova handset and dial that I don’t need (or want).

This is pretty sad news for me.

Concerns for me would be a monopoly could push service prices through the roof but a bigger fear is that they could one day decide they don’t like people buying five digit watches instead of six and either decline to service or give long wait times.

Or the nightmare of the AD supply and demand at the point of service too. Oh you want your 2001 sub serviced? There’s a three year wait for that but if you’d like a new matching his and hers DJ41/36 then we’ll see what we can do.

I can’t see this working out well for anyone.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 06:30 PM   #26
Brew
"TRF" Member

This will have next to zero impact on me and the average Rolex purchaser.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:10 PM   #27
kohe321
"TRF" Member

Shame that Rolex doesn't seem interested in having the "we will fix any old watch"-mentality that most other brands at this price level seem to have. As they keep pushing up to a new price segment, most of the competition take pride in the fact that they will not only service, but make parts for their watches no matter how old they are.

But, old Rolex watches will still be repairable by independent watchmakers. The parts will just have to be made on a one-off basis. I can see this resulting in a market opening up for making out of production wear-and-tear-parts of old movements that artisan watchmakers can tap into.

After a watch becomes old enough, knowing that a few of the cogs and gears inside are handmade by a watchmaker and not by the Rolex factory wouldn't really bother me too much. But this is all a shame nonetheless.

I guess forcing servicing through strict official channels is a move to restrict parts availability in "the wild", making it more difficult (and in the end near impossible) for folks with less than good intentions to build frankens and whatnot. Understandable move for the most copied brand in the world.

The problem is them deciding that the cutoff for servicing old watches will be the 1570 or earlier, if Greekbum is correct. Why not provide a vintage service option, where they can make parts at a premium for any of their old models. This is what you'd expect from a luxury brand at this price.
Old 23 May 2019, 09:12 PM   #28
Zack1978
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
This will have next to zero impact on me and the average Rolex purchaser.
Lol!
Old 23 May 2019, 09:17 PM   #29
watchmaker
TechXpert

Nothing ever happens for no reason.

That is not meant to disrespect the watchmaker that has lost his account, but something has prompted it. We only have one side of the story; second hand.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:17 PM   #30
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
UK is a different thing than mainland EU.
Ain’t that the truth! We just can’t quite decide how different at the moment