The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2019, 07:07 AM   #91
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
For the 3035 and 3135 -despite all the bad news we are discussing- it sounds like worst case scenario Rolex will be servicing those movements for the foreseeable future? Not to mention the indies out there should have some pets for years to come?
Rik is a smart man. Pretty sure he seen the writing on the wall and is stocked up.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:17 AM   #92
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
For the 3035 and 3135 -despite all the bad news we are discussing- it sounds like worst case scenario Rolex will be servicing those movements for the foreseeable future? Not to mention the indies out there should have some pets for years to come?
3135 definitely since it's still being produced. 3035 I'm not sure, but I'd imagine they'd keep servicing those for a while.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:27 AM   #93
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
3135 definitely since it's still being produced. 3035 I'm not sure, but I'd imagine they'd keep servicing those for a while.
Google tells me the difference between the two is not all that big. Maybe others can chime in who know?
JeanGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:07 PM   #94
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Rolex just seems to be adopting a business plan that will make other watches more attractive. It seems like a dangerous game!
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:33 PM   #95
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Rolex pulling most indy parts accounts

If there’s demand for something the ADs can’t deliver, surely someone will figure out how to do it, probably with AD support... People are people after all...

How do you think all SS watches end up at greys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:37 PM   #96
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
My entire career was as a repair person and parts distributor for a large company.
After my retirement they changed their policy, no more parts sold to anyone, and repairs only at the 'factory'
Several years went by, and now NO MORE 'FACTORY SERVICE' and no parts sold.
They have obsoleted the entire market of anything not in current production. 'Factory service' for one year after first purchaser "registers" their warranty.
If car companies did this, we would all need bicycles, or great shoes.
What on earth is the industry? So when the product breaks it has to be thrown away? That seems crazy.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:05 PM   #97
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Keep in mind that for every Rik or Vanessa or Rolliworks, there are hacks who use substandard parts, incorrect lubes and gaskets and yada. Or do terrible polishing/refinishing and so on. You could see this as Rolex wanting to clamp down on free enterprise. OR... You could see this as Rolex wanting to exert a lasting degree of quality control over its product during the products lifespan. I'm a nobody so I have no idea. But I do know that plenty of specialty products are only servicable by the places that make them, both to make sure the job is done right and to ensure that the products perform as they should so as not to damage the reputation of said product.

It would be great if Rolex could find a way to work with long-standing independents with impeccable track records but it's just not going to happen. Anymore than Ferrari is going to work with brilliant but unauthorized mechanics who have deep understanding and love of the design.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:26 PM   #98
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Keep in mind that for every Rik or Vanessa or Rolliworks, there are hacks who use substandard parts, incorrect lubes and gaskets and yada.
Rolex parts accounts were not given to hacks. Rolex has certain guidelines that have to met or you do not have an account with them. They also do onsite inspections of the repairs facilities and make you buy certain types of equipment they reacquire you to have.

Quote:
to make sure the job is done right and to ensure that the products perform as they should so as not to damage the reputation of said product.
RSC's in the US do not have the best track record it seems when it comes to great repairs consistently.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:51 PM   #99
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Is this true for Tudor as well?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:54 PM   #100
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Is this true for Tudor as well?
I have never seen a parts account for Tudor. So I have no idea.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:11 PM   #101
rbox
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Law.... Just because the law can “fix” something doesn’t mean it should.

When you purchase a watch, a piece of software, a printer, a vehicle, whatever it may be, you are purchasing solely that item. Buying a manufacturer’s product doesn’t logically or otherwise entitle you to further rights to purchase parts or other items in the future from that manufacturer.

Now some governments have stepped in to force private businesses to do these things and this is madness. How do you possibly force a business to sell something they don’t want to sell? What happens if the business runs out, stops production, retires machinery, shuts down entirely? At what point do we draw the line? Who will Rolex be forced to sell to? My neighbor, the shade-tree watchmaker?? Myself? Why not? Is the government now in the business of deciding who is smart enough or deserving of parts?

If Rolex has shipped all of a certain part to its AD’s and then shut down production, should they be forced to spend a quarter million to spin the machinery back up and make another production run just because an independent orders one, or face penalties?

Should Rolex be forced to produce and publish a service manual for it’s references? If Rolex can be forced to then why wouldn’t Bob’s Custom Watches? But Rolex can afford it and Bob can’t. Better ask Daddy Government who should be forced to comply and who shouldn’t.... Or maybe screw Bob’s Custom Watches and he should quit and go to work for Rolex. Maybe we should all quit and go to work for the big boys who can afford to deal with regulations and requirements.

This can absolutely devolve into insanity. Rolex can sell what they want to who they want. They owe you nothing past the product you purchased and honoring any associated agreements and warranties.

rbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:52 PM   #102
mitch57
"TRF" Member

IMHO, If no one but Rolex can service their watches the used market on Rolex's will die a slow painful death.

Why would anyone buy a 10 or 15 year old watch that Rolex probably won't service if it's that old.

I love it! Rolex will become the new throw away watch just like Timex! But I suspect that their prices will either have to come down or most sane people will just quit buying them.

Looks to me like a really bad business decision considering the clout Rolex currently has. Especially in the used resale value market. Time will tell...
mitch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:04 PM   #103
capital
"TRF" Member

Sad and scary to read this.

When you inherit an old Patek you know nothing about, you can go to them and they will handle your request with utmost seriousness.
They'll provide you with advisory (dial is damaged but we don't recommend to change it), estimation, repair instead of changing parts.
In short, Patek advises its clients, they take into consideration the heritage of the watch and the owner.

I would love Rolex to follow the same approach.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 09:34 PM   #104
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by capital View Post

When you inherit an old Patek you know nothing about, you can go to them and they will handle your request with utmost seriousness.
They'll provide you with advisory (dial is damaged but we don't recommend to change it), estimation, repair instead of changing parts.
In short, Patek advises its clients, they take into consideration the heritage of the watch and the owner.

What makes you think they won't?
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:00 PM   #105
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Lousy move for the watchmakers, for the average Rolex owner does not change anything
Old 24 May 2019, 10:08 PM   #106
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
What makes you think they won't?
Would be absolutely awesome if it happens
But patek produced what, 50k watches a year vs 800000 rolex?
Logistical nightmare, especially with so many franken and even fake watches around nowadays that will get requested
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:24 PM   #107
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohe321 View Post
Yeah, that's not going to happen. I'd wager Rolex will continue to service all movements currently in production for several decades following the last sample leaving the factory after discontinuation.

And who knows what their strategy will be in the future. Many things can change in half a century, which is when this will become an issue. They might do a complete reversal along the way and start offering to make parts and repair all their old references again, for all we know.

When/if the day eventually comes where an official RSC turns down your current generation Submariner for being too old, it still won't be a paperweight. I mean, right now there are several watchmakers that have the tools and knowhow to make parts and keep your watch running, even if Rolex themselves won't. And with the way production technology is advancing (3d-printing and whatnot), the capacity to produce parts will only become more accessible for new independents as time goes on.

So if Rolex refuses to make vintage parts for their own watches, they create a demand and subsequently a market for it that third parties will inevitably tap into. And they will have no one else to blame but themselves.

These things always work themselves out somehow. The ideal would of course be for Rolex to start acting as a truly premium watchmaker and offer parts and service for any watch they've ever made, no matter how old. But hey, what can you do with these boomers that are in charge at the moment.
Interesting point about others filling the void in terms of parts manufacturing and servicing should our worst fears be realised. The capability and the appetitite for same are presumably out there? Probably will just come down to whether we want to take the risk and wait and see?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:32 PM   #108
Cheld
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Yes, I am sure Mark Zuckerberg would be less restrictive if he ran Rolex.
Zuck would remotely disable your watch if you used it to figure out when Alex Jones's show was coming on
Cheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:53 PM   #109
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregShakeshaft View Post
Shameful behavior. I would question whether it is legal. It's like Toyota forcing all car owners to get servicing and repairs done through their dealerships or Samsung making you take your phone back to them every time. This is when the law needs to step in and protect the consumer.

Of course its legal - Rolex SA can sell parts (or not) to whomsoever Rolex decides to sell parts to

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:58 PM   #110
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Keep in mind that for every Rik or Vanessa or Rolliworks, there are hacks who use substandard parts, incorrect lubes and gaskets and yada. Or do terrible polishing/refinishing and so on. You could see this as Rolex wanting to clamp down on free enterprise. OR... You could see this as Rolex wanting to exert a lasting degree of quality control over its product during the products lifespan. I'm a nobody so I have no idea. But I do know that plenty of specialty products are only servicable by the places that make them, both to make sure the job is done right and to ensure that the products perform as they should so as not to damage the reputation of said product.

It would be great if Rolex could find a way to work with long-standing independents with impeccable track records but it's just not going to happen. Anymore than Ferrari is going to work with brilliant but unauthorized mechanics who have deep understanding and love of the design.
This is a good post and very thought-provoking. I still don’t agree with Rolex doing this (I want to know who’s working on my watch, not a random watchmaker at RSC), but I wouldn’t be surprised if the reasons you posted are some of the reasons Rolex is doing this.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:02 PM   #111
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Ahhh........the 2019, Rolex buyer perspective.
Watches flipped and stored in safes, probably don't need too much servicing.

Selfish stick, anyone?
Not really. 99.9% of Rolex owners have zero need of independent servicing, because they care not about maintaining originality or "polishing". They just want their watch fixed when it stops, and RSC is where they will go for that.

Its just a fact of life.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:36 PM   #112
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Not really. 99.9% of Rolex owners have zero need of independent servicing, because they care not about maintaining originality or "polishing". They just want their watch fixed when it stops, and RSC is where they will go for that.

Its just a fact of life.
Yes, thanks, exactly.

But my failure to acknowledge the impact on folks who make their livelihoods servicing watches that will be impacted deserved the dummy hammer.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:37 PM   #113
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
What was the final outcome of Swatch/ETA stopping the supply of watch parts to other small manufacturers?
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:12 AM   #114
platinum574
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date, SD43, DJ
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by capital View Post

Could not agree with you more
platinum574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:36 AM   #115
kohe321
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Interesting point about others filling the void in terms of parts manufacturing and servicing should our worst fears be realised. The capability and the appetitite for same are presumably out there? Probably will just come down to whether we want to take the risk and wait and see?
Well, this is already happening. Most vintage watches are not serviced by the official service centres of their respective makers, unless we're talking about the very high-end brands. Old vintage watches are mostly kept going by independents who clean, lubricate and perhaps re-shape/sharpen the original parts if needed. If a cog does become so worn down that the entire gear needs to be replaced, the part can be made again from scratch. There are many vintage watches out there with such aftermarket parts in them. It's no issue per se, but it needs to be documented that the watch contains them as it does affect the value of the watch. With regards to Rolex calibers, the rotor axle is a known wear and tear part that is relatively easy to make from scratch.

I mean, if it becomes a question of keeping your vintage watch with lots of sentimental value functional with a couple of unoriginal parts, or retiring it because you only want original parts in it, I know what I'd choose. It's part of the charm of mechanical watches that they can always be kept running, and if Rolex won't do it for their 50+ year old watches (which they should, but never did), someone else can. Again, it's not like it's a new thing that Rolex stops production of parts for their old calibers. The production of the 1575 ended in 1981, 38 years ago, so the time for spare parts production coming to an end was due after Rolex standards. Let's say the 3135 is finally discontinued in 2020, that means it will be in a similar situation around 2058. Unless Rolex changes their practice of spare part availability, of course.

So many of these movements have been produced that parts will probably be sourceable for a long time after spare part production stops. Making parts won't be a necessity for the forseeable future, even for a movement like the 1575 which was first intoduced in the 60’s and ended production in the 80’s.
Old 25 May 2019, 12:58 AM   #116
kohe321
"TRF" Member

That said, if Rolex now starts reducing spare part availability to official RSCs, a lot less parts will be out there "in the wild" than before, as they were with the old movements. That could mean that making parts for a 3135 will become a more acute necessity the day RSCs decides to stop servicing it, if independents haven't been able to order parts for decades and no spares are in circulation. But then again, that could be around the year 2060 for all we know, and who knows what could change by then. Not to mention what the production capabilities of independent watchmakers will be like. Regardless of any of this, the important point is that your watch doesn't need to become a paperweight.
Old 25 May 2019, 01:49 AM   #117
Littletommy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Rolex needs to be very careful, especially in the United States and Europe. Antitrust laws look dangerously looming with this type of behavior.

Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 02:00 AM   #118
Swede71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II, BB41,
Heard from a Rolex AD that Rolex normally is able to deliver movement-parts some 30 years after they are discontinued, when asking for service vintage watches. Don’t know if there is any right or wrong to the claim?!

Swede71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 02:35 AM   #119
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Personally, I have little doubt that Rolex will do whatever it takes to ensure the brand status is maintained and that would include providing parts for older models. It seems obvious that they are favoring watchmakers associated with an AD - just as specialty automakers have reduced or eliminated the selling of parts and diagnostic equipment to independents, favoring their dealers.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 02:51 AM   #120
g_luck
"TRF" Member

I just got back from two Rolex AD's in my area that informed me they cannot and won't change my Rolex band from the original to a RubberB. They claim that it's direct from Rolex they can't do it.

What a joke. I buy an 8K$ watch and the AD won't change the band if I request it. This from a company that partially became famous from 007 wearing a Sub on Nato that didn't even fit the watch!

Let's hope those independent Rolex shops stick around for a while.

BTW.....Before I hear, you could just change it yourself.....you are correct. However, I don't own the tools, didn't want to order them, and don't have the desire to do it myself.
g_luck is offline   Reply With Quote