The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2019, 08:48 PM   #31
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

A genuine suggestion Peter, based on something you said on one of those recurrent threads that understandably piss you off.

Have you considered just giving up the moderating rather than TRF as a whole?

That way you wouldn’t be forced to wade through all the BS like that bloke in A Clockwork Orange having his eyes torturously held wide open. You’d then be free to peruse the forum for content that doesn’t make you want to smash your computer up and hopefully get more out of this place.

Best wishes for your health and thanks for the time you’ve given to the forum.
Old 23 May 2019, 08:49 PM   #32
RolexInMelbourne
"TRF" Member

Totally respect!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RolexInMelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:50 PM   #33
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Something tells me you loved every minute of it. Stay with us.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:51 PM   #34
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I have been thinking quite seriously in hanging my hat up on forum,not in the best of health and on high doses of morphine now to cut down my everyday pain.Afraid today Rolex knowledge takes second place on forum.Now most topics it safe, will this go up in value,silly nicknames,if they discontinue this or that, and the rest of the daily flood of ££££$$$ posts. But forum has given me great pleasure over the past 14 odd years,and over the past two to three years kept me focused and taken my mind off my health problems ,and once again many thanks to all those who sent me past and future get well cards.Now over these forum years I have seen a great change in today's Rolex watch owners,today forum is getting more like Facebook with, is it safe, can I wear my Rolex doing this or that.Or things like alignments points,will this or that go up in value what size box,plastic stickers, even bezel protectors, watch running 3 seconds fast should I send it in .Gone now are the days of buying and wearing one of the finest mechanical watches on this planet because its a Rolex.I sometimes wonder why some buy a Rolex perhaps to wear the brand, or again perhaps look at me I am wearing a Rolex.The history of the brand seems to me to be forgotten on forum, as now Rolex watches are seen as little more than alignments or ££££$$$$$ by many.And being a mod just like the rest of the mods and admin have to read most of these threads daily,and sometimes I have a chuckle but many times it bring a tear to this old gits eyes to see what Rolex means today to many of the members on forum.With many of these types of questions they should already know or research before even thinking of buying a Rolex.Afraid as you get to my mature age my brain is like a big store cupboard, I know it is all in there, but sometimes now takes longer to get the right stuff out.And will add just hope I have brought a bit of Rolex knowledge to the forum and some have learnt a bit over the years.And if I have offended any member then I sincerely apologise but I always give a no bullsh#te answer and believe in calling a spade a spade.
Although a rolex owner since 2000, I didn't join this forum till very recently.
For you to be here 14years and to MOD aswell is an achievement. Health has priority over everything in life (apparently not to some, as ROLEX procurement is everything it seems) and I bid you farewell if you do decide to leave. How about just staying hands off, give up the MOD work and just pop in when you are free and if have the chance share your valuable knowledge.

Even though I have only been here for a short time, even I get really bored of all "where can I buy at retail price..., where has stock etc etc" questions.

Maybe we should just put a sticky at the start to answer this, as in reality, the reply is the same.

Recently, some generous members have offered up their allocation of hot items they don't want to purchase from the AD. This is what a forum should be, a community to share, the good the bad and the ugly.

As a percentage, we don't see enough threads discussing the watches themselves, the beautful sunburst dial, the crisp fluted bezels etc etc. I'm here because I have answers to share and knowlege I wish to absorb.

The main content is AD bashing, Grey price bashing and 'where can I buy Stainless Steel' etc etc. What you'll notice is these questions tend to eminate from the same demographic. First time buyers (which I can accept, everyone has to learn from somewhere) and also people who can see the margin on flipping a hot model.

Hence, my suggestion for a sticky at the top of the forum where if anyone asks about procurement, we just point them to that thread.

Anyway, enough off topic discussion, whichever way, you have a good one and thanks for all your input over the past 14years.
Old 23 May 2019, 08:53 PM   #35
Edward leef
"TRF" Member

Even though i am not a big time poster, i am sorry to read you post!
First of all i wish you the best with your health!

I do understand what you are writing, on the other hand i would really miss the frog combine with a remark that puts each discussion in to perspective.
Edward leef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:56 PM   #36
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I hope you continue to stick around Peter, I think TRF needs you.

Be well my friend
I agree Peter, who will remind us that we already have 2 watchwinders, our wrists
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:00 PM   #37
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Have always enjoyed your erudite posts. Best wishes.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:10 PM   #38
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear of your health issue and wish you all the very best. Thoroughly enjoyed reading every word of your post, you are true to yourself and that is VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thank you for your many years, and thousands of posts, that have been of great service to our community. We need more gentlemen like you!

Take care of you, be with family and friends, and as always...

In the end what REALLY matters is YOU... enjoy your time
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:13 PM   #39
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Peter,

You have do do what's right for you. Always appreciated your ability to cut thru the nonsense and bring things back to reality. Hoping you stay but understand if you don't.

Wishing you nothing but the best and hope your future is fulled with comfort and satisfaction.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:13 PM   #40
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I wish you the best on your health issues. I think it would be a significant loss to have you stop participating but you have to put yourself first. Thank you for all you have done and I hope you will consider staying.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:13 PM   #41
77T

No, I don’t think it is time for you to depart yet, friend...I say friend although we’ve never met. That’s because Steve has created a place where you have thousands of friends who are on TRF. We can’t stop by for a spot of tea or a talk - but we can chat here.

Sure there are some more wankers here than before. Same is true at the grocery store but I still go there

Why do I say it isn’t your time to depart?

See what you just did for a new member who joined just 30 minutes after you authored Post #1 in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinski View Post
Hi, I bought an Oyster Perpetual Date 34mm from an auction and picked it up today. The serial starts with X, which would point to 1991, but the case is without pinholes. Clasp code is T2. What doesn't match? As the piece doesn't have papers, I will get it to the AD for authenticity check. Qualit measures that I can think of indicates it being real deal.

Quote:
If its just X with six numbers then yes the case was stamped around 1991, but if serial has a total of 8 digits case was stamped from latter part on 2010 on to present time.

Yes some here are acting like 8 y.o.’s and misguided in the collecting sport - but we still appreciate your patience with the newbies who are genuinely needing help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:14 PM   #42
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Well that's about the shittiest thing I'll read all day. The forum will take a huge loss.
I am sincerely sorry to hear about your continued health concerns Peter, and as a medical professional sometimes the best things to help in mental health is participating in positive and enjoyable activities so I must admit that as of late, the forum does not provide that in most cases for a simple old school watch enthusiast.
I log on less now a days because people literally buy watches they don't even really like....anyways...enough about that, as you've said it all.
I wish there was a no bullshit, valuation or nick name sub forum where traditional old school wis could go and share their joy and talk about watches like we did ten years ago.

This forum and I will surely miss your presence, and very dearly in my case. I sincerely hope you can get some relief with your ailing health. You brought many smiles and laughter to me personally from afar and filled my brain with encyclopedic level details.
Thank you so much for your contributions and your knowledge. In my opinion the forum is in dire need of your presence but your health and family more, so I have to respect that. I'm definitely saddened by this.

Needless to say I have great admiration and respect for you, a person I have never formally met. I am grateful and honestly feel fortunate to have been able to share time with you on this forum. I love your posts, dry and curt at times, but always to the point, always saying exactly what I was also thinking. Nothing like seeing your triple and quadruple facepalm memes as a response. Your seat will remain unfilled, stop by once a while....

Get well my friend, my thoughts are with you.
Kind Regards,
J
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:14 PM   #43
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Sir, you’ve been an anchor on this forum since the day I first logged on and no matter your decision I’d respect it. And I too hope the forum gets back to what it once was. Right now I take a glance each day, but the countless repetitive, meaningless, threads leave much to be desired.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:15 PM   #44
chazadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner / GMT
I have only been around a few short years on TRF, but I always enjoy your takes sir. Blatant and no nonsense. You are true "old school" in the best form of the term.

There is a lot of "noise" on this forum but also an INCREDIBLE wealth of knowledge from all over the planet in regards to Rolex watches. I feel very fortunate to have stumbled on it as it has increased my knowledge and horological passion for Rolex. Thank you for that sir.

I see you as one of the major threads that weaves the fabric here. Thank you for all your contributions and best to your health sir.
chazadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:20 PM   #45
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
A genuine suggestion Peter, based on something you said on one of those recurrent threads that understandably piss you off.

Have you considered just giving up the moderating rather than TRF as a whole?

That way you wouldn’t be forced to wade through all the BS like that bloke in A Clockwork Orange having his eyes torturously held wide open. You’d then be free to peruse the forum for content that doesn’t make you want to smash your computer up and hopefully get more out of this place.

Best wishes for your health and thanks for the time you’ve given to the forum.
The mods are great friends, Peter contributes as needed, I don't imagine he has to "punch a clock". As a mod I would imagine the burden is having to participate specifically in otherwise absurd threads, because when a mod speaks, we have to take note. His responsibilities aren't the issue imo.
Old 23 May 2019, 09:24 PM   #46
thomas311
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD/LV
Thank You... for everything. Wishing you the very best.

Wear your Rolex in great health.
Old 23 May 2019, 09:30 PM   #47
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
The mods are great friends, Peter contributes as needed, I don't imagine he has to "punch a clock". As a mod I would imagine the burden is having to participate specifically in otherwise absurd threads, because when a mod speaks, we have to take note. His responsibilities aren't the issue imo.
I’m sure you’re right about him not having to punch the clock and your conclusion may also be accurate.

My post was in response to his spoof “is it safe” thread recently where a couple of disrespectful new posters had a go at Peter for calling BS out when he sees it and he responded as follows...

Quote:
Yes many things annoy me especially many of the posts on forum lately but unfortunately I have to read most all of them.And if you had to read all of them I am sure many would annoy you.But thank you for your reply now you have a nice day is that negative enough for you both.
Old 23 May 2019, 09:37 PM   #48
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Peter,
NO WAY should you leave.
I have recently been in a similar predicament to you. I have had 2 bouts of surgery on my spine.

I used to be very active on TZ and was a moderator on the Rolex forums. I stopped when things git a bit much for me at the time and did not return. I am there very little nowadays.
I re-discovered this forum a short while ago and since have had my second session of spinal surgery. I was stuck in a hospital bed and then bed at home. I found this forum a great place to come and read about watches and even ask a few questions myself and post a few replies.

I am, thankfully, now up and about and as i am retired i have around 16 hours a day to fill. I don't want to own up to how many hours i spend here, my wife might read the post and shoot me. HaHa.
I found this a great place to pass the time whilst in bed. It's pretty darn good now I'm up as well.

Sometimes I have to agree some of the questions asked are a bit daft or tedious but in general the forum is good and certainly has life to it. You have to take some of the bad to get at the good.

hang on in here, or if you need a break take a break. But in NO circumstances should you just leave. You would miss it more than you know and you would also be sorely missed.

Get well soon and stay put here.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:39 PM   #49
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

My best wishes for your health and my sincere thanks for the knowledge you have shared with us. I hope you stick around for longer!!
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:40 PM   #50
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Well that's about the shittiest thing I'll read all day. The forum will take a huge loss.
I am sincerely sorry to hear about your continued health concerns Peter, and as a medical professional sometimes the best things to help in mental health is participating in positive and enjoyable activities so I must admit that as of late, the forum does not provide that in most cases for a simple old school watch enthusiast.
I log on less now a days because people literally buy watches they don't even really like....anyways...enough about that, as you've said it all.
I wish there was a no bullshit, valuation or nick name sub forum where traditional old school wis could go and share their joy and talk about watches like we did ten years ago.

This forum and I will surely miss your presence, and very dearly in my case. I sincerely hope you can get some relief with your ailing health. You brought many smiles and laughter to me personally from afar and filled my brain with encyclopedic level details.
Thank you so much for your contributions and your knowledge. In my opinion the forum is in dire need of your presence but your health and family more, so I have to respect that. I'm definitely saddened by this.

Needless to say I have great admiration and respect for you, a person I have never formally met. I am grateful and honestly feel fortunate to have been able to share time with you on this forum. I love your posts, dry and curt at times, but always to the point, always saying exactly what I was also thinking. Nothing like seeing your triple and quadruple facepalm memes as a response. Your seat will remain unfilled, stop by once a while....

Get well my friend, my thoughts are with you.
Kind Regards,
J
Unfortunately many of the other contributing longtime members have also exited stage left from the forum because of many of the nonsense threads that have been started in the last few years because of the current situation with Rolex and it's supply versus demand. Sad.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:44 PM   #51
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
You have always been a wealth of knowledge in all of your posts and comments. As an active member on several forums involving other collections of things, it can definitely be too much over time. Hope to see your return! Enjoy your watches and thank you for all you've done and shared!
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:50 PM   #52
Oldfellow

Truly sorry to learn of your poor health Peter and hope you are able to comfortably cope with the challenges you are facing.
You should give priority to your health and well-being for your sake and that of your loved ones.
I’ve only been around here for a relatively short while and have gained a lot of knowledge from people like yourself who have willingly shared a wealth of experience for the benefit of this community.
I enjoy my daily activity on this forum and most of all the posts that relate to the fundamentals of this very enjoyable pastime. Sure, a lot of the topics do depart from what we would like to be reading, and some people are somewhat trying, but on on balance, I feel that this is a great place to be.
Moreover, I can understand your frustration from time to time, but you have given so much to this place and I have enjoyed your posts and certainly gained much from them.
Thank you sincerely for your wonderful contribution, and I hope that whatever you decide is best for you.
Cheers W.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:50 PM   #53
Trazor
"TRF" Member

Your common sense posts have been outstanding, in a sea of dross.

Thank you for your time, may you enjoy better health in the future.
Trazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:59 PM   #54
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Peter, I am a new poster but a very long time lurker and have always enjoyed your forthright and honest assessments of the Rolex/watch world. Your wisdom reminds me of when I got my first Rolex in 1970, I put it on and wore it 24/7 not caring or even thinking about scratches or timing. I'd make a phone call to get the time signal twice a year when going to and from DST and set it. Those were the good old days.

I appreciate your health issues as I am 70 and have been flat on my back with prostrate issues and kidney stones so I feel for you. I hope you will stay around as a Voice of Reason in the Madness that is now the Rolex world.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:00 PM   #55
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Unfortunately many of the other contributing longtime members have also exited stage left from the forum because of many of the nonsense threads that have been started in the last few years because of the current situation with Rolex and it's supply versus demand. Sad.
Yes, I noticed this as well. I learned a lot of technical knowledge about Rolex when I came because people flocked to Rolex for history, heritage and tech. Today there other concerns, then ironically the same crowd wonders why a Rolex isn't a "tool watch"....how can it be when say it's batgirl, ridiculous.
Old 23 May 2019, 10:05 PM   #56
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Yes, forum has gotten stale. I don't come on much either. Concentrate on your health, enjoy the time you do have, watches this forum, doesn't matter unless it gives you joy. All the best man. Shouldn't this be in the open discussion forum though?
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:13 PM   #57
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

Thank you for 14++years of wisdom and time taken to help everyone here. I wish you all the best Peter and it would be a loss for this forum to see you go ...
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:23 PM   #58
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Wanted to stay thanks and that I really appreciated the time you took/take to answer my (no doubt) amateurish quest for knowledge.

Learning from the old guard is what makes this forum great and in general what sets Rolex apart from other watchmakers - it’s the community.

Wishing you the best of health and hope that you’ll stick around (or come back).

Thank you.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:38 PM   #59
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I started on the board about five years ago when I was finally able to buy my first Rolex mid way into my 40's. I have learned so much from being here and so much from your posts specifically. It has helped me expand my interests into other brands and styles. But I have noticed a continuing change in this board starting 2+ years ago. Seemed to coincide with scarcity in the Rolex SS market and the huge jump in price. Now we are being flooded with "my watch is better than yours" posts and "how much is it worth." I agree with your post. With the move up the financial ladder for Rolex, especially in the secondary market, it seems like the love of Swiss watches and their history is being replaced by those simply trying to acquire the hot model, without even caring if they actually like it or not. Guess what I'm saying is this change is a product of the current marketplace and when the market cools off the board will hopefully regain its sanity. Please stick around buddy, we'll get through this together. You knowledge is appreciated and invaluable to this forum! And I truly wish the best for your health...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:40 PM   #60
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well, Peter. I hope things get better for you. I always value your comments and advice about watches. You are a very important resource in the watch collecting community. I agree with what you're saying about forum topics. Things have changed a lot since 2008 when I joined Timezone, Watchnet, and the Rolex Forums. Some things still stay the same, though. There are lots of really neat people on this forum and my only regret is that I can't meet them all in person.

Hang in there, hope you feel better, and I hope I still get to read your posts here. Take care.