The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2019, 03:47 AM   #1
toomann
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Are Guys that indecisive these days

Yes, this is going to be a rant. I'm sure I'm going to rub people the wrong way with this but too bad. My question to my fellow Rolex community is this, have men become so indecisive to the point the can't even choose or figure out what watch to buy without consulting the forum? I see post after post, day after day questions concerning what watch should I buy, even what color. It's making me ill.
toomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:49 AM   #2
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomann View Post
Yes, this is going to be a rant. I'm sure I'm going to rub people the wrong way with this but too bad. My question to my fellow Rolex community is this, have men become so indecisive to the point the can't even choose or figure out what watch to buy without consulting the forum? I see post after post, day after day questions concerning what watch should I buy, even what color. It's making me ill.
Ahhh,its not about the watch or wearing it ...its about commodity price.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:50 AM   #3
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
I agree with you and have always wondered about this. I have never had a problem figuring out what watch I want. Or, what watch to wear on a trip. It boggles my mind when I see these posts.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:51 AM   #4
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

It has always struck me as being a bit odd.
Old 26 May 2019, 03:53 AM   #5
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Ahhh,its not about the watch or wearing it ...its about commodity price.
My thoughts exactly in most cases.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:54 AM   #6
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
It's always nice to have a second opinion. For example if somebody took a wristshot asking if it fits their wrist properly etc.

Personally, I would ask my wife or a close friend before asking publicly here....
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:55 AM   #7
Socalwatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Nothing wrong with crowd sourcing to make an informed decision in my opinion
Socalwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 03:56 AM   #8
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
This is a rolex forum and some people want to hear others opinions. Why is that so hard to understand? Dont read the threads if they bother you so much. If posts about watches are making you ill then i suggest you stay off the internet.
Old 26 May 2019, 03:57 AM   #9
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Its not odd at all. It’s a watch form. We come here to talk. Sometimes it’s just the experience of speaking what’s in your mind and asking for opinions. We all know it’s our watch and our money so buy what we like. But it’s just fun to bring up subjects to talk about. It’s def better than what’s it worth? Or is it safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 May 2019, 03:59 AM   #10
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
I did this type of post just this morning. Not necessarily because I was feeling indecisive, but because I am sure others have had the same thoughts and I was curious how I turned out for them. There are many repetitive posts on here but it’s a “forum” for any kind of Rolex questions. People get shamed on here for asking what many wonder but don’t ask themselves.
Old 26 May 2019, 03:59 AM   #11
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Well, one issue is that models can be impossible to try on beforehand. I myself have just this week weighing up between a 16600 and 116610ln. Neither are available in my local market so I’d be ordering online sight unseen. It’s great to get impressions from others, ideally those that have had experience owning these models.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:00 AM   #12
g_luck
"TRF" Member

Two reasons.

1. More and more "men" can't do anything without help. It's the new way of living. Sad but true I deal with it all day where I work.
2. I suspect that a lot of these are people just wanting another way to show what they have or are getting. Think of it as Instagram with replies.
g_luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:00 AM   #13
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Some have to be told what to like..
..the same folk that need told where to go to work, told what to do when they get there, told when they can go for a break, told when they can go home.. some folk just need directed 24/7..

..not me, I have no trouble choosing things I like or employing my self.
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:01 AM   #14
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
We’re (mainly) all watch obsessed. My friends aren’t so I would love to ask the forum if anything just to back up initial thoughts etc if we don’t ask here then where else I suppose haha
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:05 AM   #15
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

....along with “I have to ask my wife before I buy a watch...” and “ I ask my wife which watch I should wear tonight...”
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:07 AM   #16
pepsiretail
Banned

“Have men become”? What were they in the past?

Is the premise that men are fundamentally different than what they were?

By and large people follow the fashion and norms of the day. Very few purposely go their own route. Seeking acceptance and admiration from ones peers has been and will always be a human trait, and not necessarily a bad one at that.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:10 AM   #17
MercedesHand
"TRF" Member

Many are probably 1st time Rolex buyers.

Aside from their house, or car that watch is probably the most expensive item they've bought. Cut em some reassurance slack. Also, if they are first time buyer they are probably buying sight unseen on popular SS models.

Big difference seeing images of watch and then on your wrist. For example, it looks very marginal in pictures but there is a WORLD of difference between Maxi case/dial on current Sub and previous case, even though they're both 40mm.

Nothing like buyers remorse. If pics,forum, poster recommendations can help them, whats the worry?

Now the "is it safe to go outside with my Submariner" threads
MercedesHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:20 AM   #18
timeisfathaoftruth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Daytona,GMT,YM
What surprises me more then the question, is the number of responses that focus the OP on what they would buy for themselves, rather than on what the OP should buy for himself based on the parameters and preferences set by the OP
Old 26 May 2019, 04:22 AM   #19
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

It’s because for many of us, it’s a massive investment and we want to be as informed as possible before pulling the trigger.

I’ve learned tremendous amount from this forum. There are many watches I would’ve pulled the trigger on, but decided against it after learning more from the fellow members here.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:30 AM   #20
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Well, one issue is that models can be impossible to try on beforehand. I myself have just this week weighing up between a 16600 and 116610ln. Neither are available in my local market so I’d be ordering online sight unseen. It’s great to get impressions from others, ideally those that have had experience owning these models.
Agree with this. It can be helpful to get impressions from owners/former owners of certain models of interest, since in many cases they are not available to try on in person. Particularly, for those who have bought and then later flipped, it's great to know their reasoning.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:31 AM   #21
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

It’s just a forum. Reading any given thread isn’t mandatory.

I don’t understand the angst. Sick of certain topics? Don’t read them. Think the content on the forum is deteriorating? Post something interesting. Forum pushing up your blood pressure? Put the tablet down, crack open a beer and get some fresh air
Old 26 May 2019, 04:35 AM   #22
Eatapp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 Blue
It’s just a watch forum, a place to discuss watches. I don’t see it as a reflection of men these days.
Eatapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:42 AM   #23
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

It's always good to have 2nd, 3rd,... opinions.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 04:58 AM   #24
rbox
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
There was never any question for me. I think every man has a watch that’s appropriate to who they are and what they do, and for me that has always been the GMT. I could bore you with all the reasons why but I won’t. Of course, my first Rolex was a new 5 digit Explorer II, which as you know has the GMT movement. I chose it out of practicality at the time, and I have had another Exp II since. I love that watch about as much as the GMT.

It would be silly for me to entertain a Sub or a Daytona. Why? Because I’m not a diver or boater and I’m not involved in racing or timing anything. I’m confident wearing a GMT or Exp II because it’s suitable to who I am and my lifestyle. It fits and looks good on me because it’s part of who I am. If I end up in a conversation with someone about it, I can easily explain it’s origin, my history with it, how it functions, how it’s made, why I like it and how I use it. There’s no problem connecting the watch to who I am. I would not have this congruency with many other models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 05:01 AM   #25
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
It has always struck me as being a bit odd.
Agree!

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 05:05 AM   #26
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I’ll never understand this complaint. Just because someone is discussing watches they are considering does not mean they are incapable of making a decision. Nor does it mean they are asking the forum to decide for them.

Purchasing a watch is a process, and I don’t believe there is anything wrong with talking through that process with other enthusiasts.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 05:08 AM   #27
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
So many fragile egos here and people with narrow minded standards of “men.”

The only posts that bother me are the posts complaining about other posts. Meta.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 05:10 AM   #28
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Much easier to just not read what doesn’t interest me than question others.

I have never had any difficulty knowing what watch I want and have never sold one once I have purchased it. However, I recently posted a thread regarding a poll on a DD. I know I wanted one of the three dial options. Was curious what others thought to see if coincided with what wife suggested. Shoot me for asking in a watch forum.
Old 26 May 2019, 05:12 AM   #29
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
I think men has always seeks other opinions since the beginning of time....
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 05:14 AM   #30
desmomini
"TRF" Member

People on watch forums like to discuss watches.
desmomini is offline   Reply With Quote