The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2019, 08:39 AM   #61
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_luck View Post
Two reasons.

1. More and more "men" can't do anything without help. It's the new way of living. Sad but true I deal with it all day where I work.
2. I suspect that a lot of these are people just wanting another way to show what they have or are getting. Think of it as Instagram with replies.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 08:40 AM   #62
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomann View Post
yes, this is going to be a rant. I'm sure i'm going to rub people the wrong way with this but too bad. My question to my fellow rolex community is this, have men become so indecisive to the point the can't even choose or figure out what watch to buy without consulting the forum? I see post after post, day after day questions concerning what watch should i buy, even what color. It's making me ill.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 08:54 AM   #63
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

Well, these ”what should I buy” -threads are the most annoying ones. Grow a pair.

Luckily, I have the choice to not respond when I feel like it.

Anyhow, the big problem with any dicussion forum is meta-discussion, ie. discussion about the quality of discussion. Just made myself a promise to not to engage in it.
Old 26 May 2019, 09:01 AM   #64
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one
I am really new here, and this forum has been invaluable in helping me make decisions around my first Rolex purchase. From the generosity of the forum members here, I learned the difference between the 16200 versus the 116200, which I would not have known had I not asked...That being said, I am perfectly capable of choosing the watch style, bracelet, dial color, on my own. I am tending to seek knowledge about nuances such as differences between older models and current models, and of course pricing. With no frame of reference, how was a new person supposed to know if the price he is looking at is reasonable or exorbitant? Hence the importance of the interactions here.
skhan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 09:16 AM   #65
g_luck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
I am really new here, and this forum has been invaluable in helping me make decisions around my first Rolex purchase. From the generosity of the forum members here, I learned the difference between the 16200 versus the 116200, which I would not have known had I not asked...That being said, I am perfectly capable of choosing the watch style, bracelet, dial color, on my own. I am tending to seek knowledge about nuances such as differences between older models and current models, and of course pricing. With no frame of reference, how was a new person supposed to know if the price he is looking at is reasonable or exorbitant? Hence the importance of the interactions here.
Glad the forum can help with those decisions but......paying anywhere near what we pay for watches is exorbitant. Especially through Grey dealers. CRAZY!
g_luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:02 AM   #66
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Yes, this is going to be a rant. I'm sure I'm going to rub people the wrong way with this but too bad. My question to my fellow Rolex community is this, have men become so indecisive to the point the can't even choose or figure out what watch to buy without consulting the forum? I see post after post, day after day questions concerning what watch should I buy, even what color. It's making me ill.
You're not alone. I guess we do see some men who can't think for their own....and need help from strangers to make a decision. It's sad but oh well I'm learning to ignore them.

Should I wear pink or blue underwear today? :) . What should I do?
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:14 AM   #67
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
That's great that you can make your own decision. You can't learn anything if someone ask - What should I buy Submariner or GMT or Daytona? Really? I like Daytona, you like GMT, Joe likes Rainbow, etc. How is that going to help a member make a decision? It doesn't! And that's why it's just stupid to ask these subjective questions. Who is wearing the watch?

But like some said, we have a choice to ignore them. It sucks I have to comb through each thread to ignore them. Like you said, knowledge is everything, but I won't gain anything from those thread.

I can see more and more veterans leaving the forum because of this.... And when they take their knowledge with them, then we're stuck with members asking each other which models to buy. Imagine a blind mouse leading in a maze. Maybe there should be a section called "NEWBIES QUESTIONS SECTION"
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:16 AM   #68
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Alright, who I going to start the poll: “Will you poll TRF for pre-purchase approval or confirmation on your next Rolex purchase?”
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:33 AM   #69
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I’m waiting from someone to ask us if his wife’s new lingerie looks nice because she asked him...

Lol
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:52 AM   #70
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I just can't decide what to think about this post, so whatever you guys say is probably right. Maybe - but I gotta go as my wife's boyfriend is at the door.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 11:00 AM   #71
aparker973
"TRF" Member

Some also want to "pitch their book". Basically, if prices stabilize or soften then creating some chatter around it will firm up demand again. Its not just a TRF thing, of course.

Pay close attention. There are a few models that have no business being bid up right now, but chatter around them helps the bid.
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 11:05 AM   #72
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
There is definitely more sad, pathetic, complaining troll threads & posts now then anything real. This forum is going downhill with a quickness!
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 11:08 AM   #73
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I think it is not odd to ask experienced people before making a big purchase.
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 11:20 AM   #74
911NBK
Banned

Watch: A Rolex
I don't think it's odd asking the forum about a watch reference, or something technical in regards to a watch to make a decision. But it's weird asking this color or that color, or this bracelet or that dial. Buy what you like once you've chosen the actual watch.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
911NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 11:23 AM   #75
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Well there wouldn’t be a whole lot to talk about here otherwise ... being a watch forum and all
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 11:28 AM   #76
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Yes, this is going to be a rant. I'm sure I'm going to rub people the wrong way with this but too bad. My question to my fellow Rolex community is this, have men become so indecisive to the point the can't even choose or figure out what watch to buy without consulting the forum? I see post after post, day after day questions concerning what watch should I buy, even what color. It's making me ill.
It could just be posters looking for attention.

Just like you?

Ok, ok, get well soon.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 12:03 PM   #77
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
I also think it may have something to do with the fact that such a purchase represents a substantial outlay for many, hence the indecision and hesitancy.

Also, as other have pointed out, just don’t read whatever doesn’t interest one as long as it isn’t click bait.

I am interested in discussions pertaining to the brand, it’s availability etc. It is fascinating to me in a way WRUW/driving/smoking is not, hence I simply avoid those threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 12:07 PM   #78
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
....along with “I have to ask my wife before I buy a watch...” and “ I ask my wife which watch I should wear tonight...”
Unfortunately in this modern age many men want their wives to be their "mothers", and consequently treat them that way. Many men have lost the "alpha" and most are "beta". The whole "toxic masculinity" thing perpetuated by today's society certainly doesn't help. I have always researched my watch purchases and were 100% positive before pulling the trigger. No need to come on a forum of strangers to ask for decision reinforcements.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 12:08 PM   #79
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
I also think it may have something to do with the fact that such a purchase represents a substantial outlay for many, hence the indecision and hesitancy.

Also, as other have pointed out, just don’t read whatever doesn’t interest one as long as it isn’t click bait.

I am interested in discussions pertaining to the brand, it’s availability etc. It is fascinating to me in a way WRUW/driving/smoking is not, hence I simply avoid those threads.

But you engage in the “AD’s should maximize profit even if it means being unethical”.
Alrighty then,
Old 26 May 2019, 12:14 PM   #80
teck21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
But you engage in the “AD’s should maximize profit even if it means being unethical”.

Alrighty then,

Of course, I absolutely stand by my position that they should make profit in whatever way they can short of engaging in fraudulent practices.

I also encouraged an individual to purchase a new SS GMT he might not even want on the basis that it is ‘free money’.

He doesn’t ‘owe’ anyone a watch, neither does an AD.

No one is more deserving of a watch than anyone else, why should ones ability to pay not be used as the ultimate method of distribution?

I digress, back to OP’s post, he is entitled to post his feelings, and everyone is entitled to respond, or not.

Old 26 May 2019, 12:17 PM   #81
huba01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Relax buddy
huba01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 01:13 PM   #82
zetaplus93
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 & 116710LN
Quote:
Yes, this is going to be a rant...

Yup agreed. Sure we can ignore it, but sucks to need to shift through ~80% of posts to get to good ones.

People should do research before asking questions. With the plethora of reviews and insights out there, baffles the mind that people don’t do so...
Old 26 May 2019, 01:49 PM   #83
teck21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetaplus93 View Post
Yup agreed. Sure we can ignore it, but sucks to need to shift through ~80% of posts to get to good ones....

Ah, but who decides what is good?

Old 26 May 2019, 02:31 PM   #84
IR201
"TRF" Member

I'm honestly amazed at how ridiculous some forum members, many with thousands of posts, are sounding on this topic. So just to be clear - this forum, to you, is just some random compilation of strangers? Then why are you here? Serious question. If you think of people on here as strangers, as no different and as adding nothing else than any random person on the street, then why use this forum? Why use any forum?

The reality is that forums, on Rolex or on other specific matters, offer a way of joining up people who are similarly situated, have similar interests, are facing similar experiences etc. You could easily argue that someone you don't know personally on a Rolex forum could provide a more valuable opinion than your best friend who knows nothing about watches.

So according to some, it is ridiculous to ask an opinion on a difficult watch choice. So what is the forum good for? Should it just be incoming threads where people congratulate you for new pieces? Because if you think that is fine, you still run into your stranger problem. Need validation from strangers for a purchase? That's fine, but opinions from 'strangers' aren't? Got it.

Then there's the notion that people should do their research on previous threads. I believe that to some extent but honestly people prefer personal advice on their own situations. It is human nature. And in fact, what percentage of 'new' daily threads actually rehash topics that have already been covered? I'd submit more than most. So I guess we have to eliminate all those too.

Basically we should just shut down this forum so we can all reclaim our manhood. Real men don't need support, contact, advice, discussion, interaction or anything from anyone!
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 05:10 PM   #85
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Unfortunately in this modern age many men want their wives to be their "mothers", and consequently treat them that way. Many men have lost the "alpha" and most are "beta". The whole "toxic masculinity" thing perpetuated by today's society certainly doesn't help. I have always researched my watch purchases and were 100% positive before pulling the trigger. No need to come on a forum of strangers to ask for decision reinforcements.
I actually agree with much of this.
I can understand people asking for factual advice between pieces, but the whole “hulk vs Batman” and “date or no date? Which should I buy?” Posts become tiresome.
Lots of people now want to know that the masses back their decision, rather than making their own informed decisions, and I have to say much of it is now due to the whole “investment” and value retention.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 08:59 PM   #86
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT, YM,
Perhaps we feel more comfortable asking the question to the Rolex forum community instead of asking our friends because it can come across as bragging. Must of my friends can’t afford this hobby or understand the passion for watches. Must of my friends are happy with their Smart watch and their Casio.
Cesarmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 09:17 PM   #87
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

People don't ask because they are so keen to listen to others, I guess - it's just a part of the "fun" getting a watch and searching for one and make the journey to the purchase. Most people have already made up their mind every time they ask a question really.

People just looking for confirmation of their own choice. That's psychology. Peoples favourite subject is themselves. Many people also search for reviews of the watch they just bought. It's meaningless really, but they want the confirmation that they picked "the right watch".

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 09:19 PM   #88
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

I used to be indecisive but now I’m not so sure
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 09:40 PM   #89
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Sorry for the long post but my view if you are interested:

When I first learnt what a Rolex was, it was a watch that people who were of a certain financial stature purchased. A bit like buying a Mercedes. This was in the late seventies.

These people could comfortably afford these luxury products and they did, and why shouldn't they. I believe, you work hard, you earn lots and spend how you wish.

These people didn't expect that their Rolex or Mercedes would go up in value, the car for sure would depreciate and the Rolex maybe hand down to one of the children.

As the years progress the Rolex product has been more revered by people who are not in the demographic of the Rolex buyer in the seventies. These buyers are no doubt attracted to the brand by exposure of Rolex (and other brands) on social media and news that they see online, whether it be a computer or more often than not, the mobile phone.

So the seed has been planted by what they have seen online, the next step of course is procurement. Now, there are still the genuine wealthy who can afford to drop $10K+ on a Rolex but the 'NEW' Rolex customer of this social media generation, is generally a person who has next to nothing in savings and spends the month's income as fast as it comes in.

This is an article that popped up first on google to highlight:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/09/a-gr...ing-saved.html

So, they want but cant afford........

But social media says you can 'make money' on a Rolex.

And that's when the light bulb lights up in their head!

Wow, a Rolex can make money, Wow, I'm stupid if don't get one!

One thing hasn't changed though, is the fact their savings cannot actually support a Rolex purchase, so what to do? CREDIT, whether interest free or via Credit card, it allows them to purchase one.

Then these customers split into 2 groups, those that do research (however annoying they are to us on this forum) and those that just go and buy a DJ from the AD as that's all they have (still thinking it's a Rolex and value will go up).

The ones that 'think' they are clever will post asking which one is best buy, best investment, best... blah blah blah

By finding out which one will give them the most profit for the Rolex they cannot afford in the first place. Then they complain they can't find one at an AD.

So in summary, the indecision is because they don't want to own a beautiful timepiece with years of history, they just want to know which Rolex will be maximum flex value versus ownership cost.
Old 26 May 2019, 09:45 PM   #90
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Asking opinions is part of what the forum is about. Asking for investment advice is different