The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2019, 09:46 PM   #91
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I don't mind the posts about what to buy. Depending where you are in the collecting/ownership game you may need some unbiased input. Filter the comments, as I always read some that are thoughtful and informative and some, not so much. I do think TRF is a community and most members here, that have been around for awhile, are thoughtful and provide perspectives that are based on experiences. I don't even mind reading this post and commenting, as that is what we do. I think members should ask away. Some of it will be good and other posts will be closed and I will move on to the next post. Such is TRF.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 09:51 PM   #92
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMilgauss View Post
I used to be indecisive but now I’m not so sure
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 09:52 PM   #93
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
But social media says you can 'make money' on a Rolex.

And that's when the light bulb lights up in their head!

Wow, a Rolex can make money, Wow, I'm stupid if don't get one!

One thing hasn't changed though, is the fact their savings cannot actually support a Rolex purchase, so what to do? CREDIT, whether interest free or via Credit card, it allows them to purchase one.

Then these customers split into 2 groups, those that do research (however annoying they are to us on this forum) and those that just go and buy a DJ from the AD as that's all they have (still thinking it's a Rolex and value will go up).

The ones that 'think' they are clever will post asking which one is best buy, best investment, best... blah blah blah

By finding out which one will give them the most profit for the Rolex they cannot afford in the first place. Then they complain they can't find one at an AD.

So in summary, the indecision is because they don't want to own a beautiful timepiece with years of history, they just want to know which Rolex will be maximum flex value versus ownership cost.
Well said .. and that is why the nature of the forum has changed .
Just go through the good posts and have fun with the rubbish threads.
TRF has a weath of info regarding Rolex.A lot of knowledge here
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 09:54 PM   #94
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomann View Post
Yes, this is going to be a rant. I'm sure I'm going to rub people the wrong way with this but too bad. My question to my fellow Rolex community is this, have men become so indecisive to the point the can't even choose or figure out what watch to buy without consulting the forum? I see post after post, day after day questions concerning what watch should I buy, even what color. It's making me ill.
Agree, drives me nuts, spending much less time here.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:00 PM   #95
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

If I couldn’t make up my own mind about which watches I liked and asked the forums opinion, I would have no watches. See below.
I decided what I liked and I bought it.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:15 PM   #96
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
The longer your here the more amazing it is that people cant make any decisions it seems on anything. I never have a problem deciding what watch is next on my radar. You would think someone buying a Rolex would be fairly well off and be somewhat successful. You would think they would have no problems making decisions. For me to keep my sanity I just dont click on any of those threads.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:25 PM   #97
2sInHot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
I just can't decide what to think about this post, so whatever you guys say is probably right. Maybe - but I gotta go as my wife's boyfriend is at the door.

This made me smile....
2sInHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:40 PM   #98
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Asking opinions is part of what the forum is about. Asking for investment advice is different
Yes, I agree but asking for opinion on this forum is just going to make it harder! Everyone has their opinions and tastes. For example, I never liked the Batman and with the current jubilee, I dislike it even more. Same with the Pepsi, I don't like it. I was dreaming of a day they would released a COKE, now that is something I would buy but if it's on a Jubilee, definitely not. That's why some times asking which is better to buy is opening a can of worms. Now if there are 2 identical models, one say used and one say brand new, then that's a different question entirely, which I would happily contribute my thoughts.

But what you will find, is most of these posts tend to be about 'value', it may not be in the title but will usually rear it's head in the post itself.
Old 26 May 2019, 11:03 PM   #99
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Yes, I agree but asking for opinion on this forum is just going to make it harder! Everyone has their opinions and tastes. For example, I never liked the Batman and with the current jubilee, I dislike it even more. Same with the Pepsi, I don't like it. I was dreaming of a day they would released a COKE, now that is something I would buy but if it's on a Jubilee, definitely not. That's why some times asking which is better to buy is opening a can of worms. Now if there are 2 identical models, one say used and one say brand new, then that's a different question entirely, which I would happily contribute my thoughts.

But what you will find, is most of these posts tend to be about 'value', it may not be in the title but will usually rear it's head in the post itself.
You are really overthinking it. I completely agree that it’s subjective and there is no right or wrong answer, but some people simply want to hear opinions. Shouldn’t bother you
Old 26 May 2019, 11:22 PM   #100
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
You are really overthinking it. I completely agree that it’s subjective and there is no right or wrong answer, but some people simply want to hear opinions. Shouldn’t bother you
Yes, you're right it doesn't bother me, I just skip and don't reply.

But the original post was about 'indecisive members' and I shared my view on the cause of this.

I have said and many share my view, Rolex has unfortunately become "the brand to flex" in the modern social media age.
Old 26 May 2019, 11:29 PM   #101
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Can I get back to you on that?
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 11:30 PM   #102
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Yes, this is going to be a rant. I'm sure I'm going to rub people the wrong way with this but too bad. My question to my fellow Rolex community is this, have men become so indecisive to the point the can't even choose or figure out what watch to buy without consulting the forum? I see post after post, day after day questions concerning what watch should I buy, even what color. It's making me ill.
Yes
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 12:04 AM   #103
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Are Guys that indecisive these days

This whole discussion kinda cracks me up.

This is a watch forum. I thought the point of it was to be able to discuss watches with other people who share an interest in watches as well. If the discussion doesn’t interest you maybe you should start a new forum called “My Forum, My Rules”

As for “flexing” I’m pretty sure I don’t come here to see panda videos, get medical advice, landscaping ideas or exchange recipes. Showing off your collections or asking questions is exactly what a forum is for. I enjoy seeing all of the collections, big and small, old or new, in my reach or way out of it. I don’t care if you disagree with me or vice versa. Life is way too short to be pissed off. I’m super happy to see other people enjoy themselves.

As for questioning someone’s manhood based on what they do on the internet - sounds like fake tough guy, punk talk I bet you wouldn’t hear face to face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 12:08 AM   #104
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
The more I read these posts on this particular thread, the sadder the reality is of the age of intolerance that we suddenly live in.
I don’t disagree at all that some of the stuff asked on TRF is silly but I choose to chuckle at it rather than get my panties in a wad.
What doesn’t interest me, I don’t open or read. If I open it and not what I expected, I move on.

Why don’t the whiners that can’t seem to ignore what doesn’t please them just simply list what is perfectly OK and acceptable to them to be a post on TRF? Then get the mods to approve and post it as a new rule and there you’ll have it, now it will be all your way.
Old 27 May 2019, 12:09 AM   #105
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:

Please add “is it safe to go to place x?” This is insulting to those members that live there. So, if you are worried, just don’t go.

Man Up!

fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 12:26 AM   #106
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_luck View Post
Two reasons.

1. More and more "men" can't do anything without help. It's the new way of living. Sad but true I deal with it all day where I work.
2. I suspect that a lot of these are people just wanting another way to show what they have or are getting. Think of it as Instagram with replies.
Exactly. My AD called me regarding a Deepsea, should I buy it. I want to trade my white Daytona C and BLRO plus cash for a 5711....Sometimes I wonder if it's just some kid on the other end of the keyboard trolling.
If I like the watch then I buy it, don't like, then it's gone, period. I've owned and sold the BLNR and LVC and broke even back before the madness, still no regrets.

I alone chose my career, my wife, where I live, where I travel, what foods I like, whether to wear a jacket when it's cold outside and my favorite color among other things. I don't understand this living life by public committee voting from a bunch of strangers.

Edit: I believe there's a distinction between seeking advice vs having no direction. For example, I'm going to Disney World, any tips? I'm considering buying a Range Rover, can you tell me about it's reliability during your ownership. Any suggestions for a good white wine at xyz restaurant...
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 12:31 AM   #107
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM914 View Post
This is a rolex forum and some people want to hear others opinions. Why is that so hard to understand? Dont read the threads if they bother you so much. If posts about watches are making you ill then i suggest you stay off the internet.
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 12:32 AM   #108
Brew
"TRF" Member

All of the tough, decisive men in this thread really impress me!
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 12:39 AM   #109
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I’m not going to lie to you guys... I got married so I wouldn’t have to make decisions
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 12:49 AM   #110
vicsdca
Banned

Quote:
I find it more interesting to talk about potential watch purchases than about the weather, which is what most people do in real life conversations. It's become difficult and awkward for men to interact with other human beings in a meaningful way so when you find people with passions similar to yours, you find great comfort in having these types of interactions. I see nothing wrong with consulting other people about a purchase. In fact, I have discovered many watches I did not know about when reading those kinds of threads. So it has an informative aspect to it as well. I much prefer reading those threads than the threads of people fishing for compliments when posting wrist shots of their new incomings. You feel no choice but to congratulate them even when the watch just looks like a big chunk of metal on a tiny wrist. Although a "Hulk" or a "Batman" looks sexy on a woman's wrist, it looks ridiculous on a man with 6.5-inch wrists. There's a lot of hypocrisy going on in these "incoming" threads whereas discussing purchases generates more genuine conversations in my opinion.
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 01:04 AM   #111
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I’m not going to lie to you guys... I got married so I wouldn’t have to make decisions

Brilliant

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 01:11 AM   #112
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I did that too! But it didn't work out!!!!
Old 27 May 2019, 01:14 AM   #113
Overwound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
I agree 100%. But since we're here anyway......

Do you think this SeaDweller makes my butt look big?
Only if it's a full moon.
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 01:17 AM   #114
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM914 View Post
This is a rolex forum and some people want to hear others opinions. Why is that so hard to understand? Dont read the threads if they bother you so much. If posts about watches are making you ill then i suggest you stay off the internet.
100% right.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 01:50 AM   #115
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sInHot View Post
This made me smile....
Can’t but help and think of the scene from Old School when Mitch (Luke Wilson) takes the early flight home from the conference.
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 01:53 AM   #116
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
It’s a watch forum, what exactly did you expect? No one is forcing you to be here, or read every thread. Maybe I’ll start a thread about how I hate when people start threads about not liking some of the threads that get started in here.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 01:58 AM   #117
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry for the long post but my view if you are interested:

When I first learnt what a Rolex was, it was a watch that people who were of a certain financial stature purchased. A bit like buying a Mercedes. This was in the late seventies.

These people could comfortably afford these luxury products and they did, and why shouldn't they. I believe, you work hard, you earn lots and spend how you wish.

These people didn't expect that their Rolex or Mercedes would go up in value, the car for sure would depreciate and the Rolex maybe hand down to one of the children.

As the years progress the Rolex product has been more revered by people who are not in the demographic of the Rolex buyer in the seventies. These buyers are no doubt attracted to the brand by exposure of Rolex (and other brands) on social media and news that they see online, whether it be a computer or more often than not, the mobile phone.

So the seed has been planted by what they have seen online, the next step of course is procurement. Now, there are still the genuine wealthy who can afford to drop $10K+ on a Rolex but the 'NEW' Rolex customer of this social media generation, is generally a person who has next to nothing in savings and spends the month's income as fast as it comes in.

This is an article that popped up first on google to highlight:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/09/a-gr...ing-saved.html

So, they want but cant afford........

But social media says you can 'make money' on a Rolex.

And that's when the light bulb lights up in their head!

Wow, a Rolex can make money, Wow, I'm stupid if don't get one!

One thing hasn't changed though, is the fact their savings cannot actually support a Rolex purchase, so what to do? CREDIT, whether interest free or via Credit card, it allows them to purchase one.

Then these customers split into 2 groups, those that do research (however annoying they are to us on this forum) and those that just go and buy a DJ from the AD as that's all they have (still thinking it's a Rolex and value will go up).

The ones that 'think' they are clever will post asking which one is best buy, best investment, best... blah blah blah

By finding out which one will give them the most profit for the Rolex they cannot afford in the first place. Then they complain they can't find one at an AD.

So in summary, the indecision is because they don't want to own a beautiful timepiece with years of history, they just want to know which Rolex will be maximum flex value versus ownership cost.
Explains some indecision but certainly not all. I think people can be genuinely on the fence between two great options. Advice from the forum can offer different perspectives/takes that maybe they had not thought about, and then they can use this info as additional inputs into the decision making process.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 02:01 AM   #118
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I don’t have a problem with it. Personally, I buy what I want first, then I tell everyone about it, but it’s ok to solicit feedback from others on these forums.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 02:06 AM   #119
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I actually agree with much of this.
I can understand people asking for factual advice between pieces, but the whole “hulk vs Batman” and “date or no date? Which should I buy?” Posts become tiresome.
Lots of people now want to know that the masses back their decision, rather than making their own informed decisions, and I have to say much of it is now due to the whole “investment” and value retention.
First off, lol at men in this modern age wanting their mothers. Sigmund Freud lived from 1856-1939. And when was Oedipus Rex written? BC?

But putting dates aside for a minute, the argument is that men want to marry their mothers therefore they ask a watch forum for advice? How does that make any sense? Wouldn't they be asking their wives to make the decision for them under this argument?

On the date vs no date, I asked another watch forum for advice on this - they introduced me to the SD4K. So glad I asked for opinions!
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 02:30 AM   #120
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

No harm asking for an opinion. But, I instinctively know what I like. Watches no exception: I know the steel Submariner is the ideal watch for me. And I never have to ask whether it’s too big!!
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote