The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2017, 04:30 AM   #31
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I have a couple Arlo Pro security cameras. In a lot of ways, I think these consumer-grade cameras (Arlo, Nest, etc..) are better than the professional cctv systems. If the camera detect motion, they start recording and send a notification to my phone. I am able to open the app and livestream to see if anything is going on. If I see anything suspicious, I can trigger an alarm through the Arlo base station in my house (it's really loud). The alarm, of course, doesn't alert the police, but burglars don't know that. Plus, I would call 911 if I see anything fishy.

The best part about the Arlo system is that it is wireless so the setup is super easy.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:47 AM   #32
larsr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
The biggest thing besides a dog, cameras and security systems, is an item we can’t discuss. It’s also good to let everyone know you have that CCL!

IBTL!
You know I wonder about this. I say this because it lets a would be thief know there is something of real "value" worth breaking in to find.
larsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 05:26 AM   #33
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
Some good tips to be had in this thread.
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 05:29 AM   #34
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I have a couple Arlo Pro security cameras. In a lot of ways, I think these consumer-grade cameras (Arlo, Nest, etc..) are better than the professional cctv systems. If the camera detect motion, they start recording and send a notification to my phone. I am able to open the app and livestream to see if anything is going on. If I see anything suspicious, I can trigger an alarm through the Arlo base station in my house (it's really loud). The alarm, of course, doesn't alert the police, but burglars don't know that. Plus, I would call 911 if I see anything fishy.

The best part about the Arlo system is that it is wireless so the setup is super easy.
I have a bunch of these too, work great for me.
Old 4 December 2017, 05:48 AM   #35
cm10005
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk Sub
I wouldn't suggest a Bulldog. IF they wake up they still probably wouldn't bark at an intruder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5574.jpg (139.0 KB, 196 views)
cm10005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 06:09 AM   #36
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm10005 View Post
I wouldn't suggest a Bulldog. IF they wake up they still probably wouldn't bark at an intruder

Haha nice bully!
Mine actually goes nuts when someone opens the door in any sort of fast fashion, any loud noises etc etc
Old 4 December 2017, 06:24 AM   #37
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm10005 View Post
No, but it might distract the thief by licking and playing with him.
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 06:48 AM   #38
BravoOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex75216 View Post
Has anyone used the 3M Window Security Film to help protect the windows from breakage?
Yes I have this on my home along with an alarm. Also have a 400+ safe for significant items of value. The safe is added fire protection as well. You will never stop all attempted break ins but you will reduce the bulk of them.
IMO dog are nothing more than a distraction and if they are known barkers probably are just another annoyance to be dealt with.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 07:28 AM   #39
larsr
"TRF" Member

Don’t forget on house alarms if you have them to have cellular calling to alarm Center. So even if power/phone line is cut to house Alarm will do its thing.
larsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 10:06 AM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If you’re really concerned get a couple of cane corso. Or any mastiff for that matter.

Don’t think anyone wants to see this coming at them in the dark.
Old 4 December 2017, 11:28 AM   #41
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If you’re really concerned get a couple of cane corso. Or any mastiff for that matter.

Don’t think anyone wants to see this coming at them in the dark.
would LOVE a French mastiff, wife is having none of it though. Still working her over.... a bully and a FM would be perfect!
Old 4 December 2017, 11:32 AM   #42
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
would LOVE a French mastiff, wife is having none of it though. Still working her over.... a bully and a FM would be perfect!
A tiger would be perfect.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 11:54 AM   #43
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
A tiger would be perfect.

Too friendly
Old 4 December 2017, 03:15 PM   #44
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsr View Post
You know I wonder about this. I say this because it lets a would be thief know there is something of real "value" worth breaking in to find.
I live in the South. It’s always a good thing for criminals to know who not to mess with. Looting during hurricanes isn’t tolerated either.
Old 10 December 2017, 02:06 PM   #45
Larry302
"TRF" Member

A tv station here did a good story on break ins and interviewed a number of burgers in jail .
The forms filed out by them were put online , at first I thought well they would just lie, but most of the responses were the same .

They alway knocked to see if folks were home if they were they made up a story about doing odd jobs or were answering a Craigslist add but wold give you the wrong address .

TV's and radios left on did not matter , lights did not matter , cars did not matter ,dogs sometimes, alarms sometimes , but if no one answered all bets were off .

As a firefighter I've forced entry 100's of time, not always fires, but check the welfare calls,
alarms with no sign of fire, water problems , fumes calls and so,on .

It's pretty easy to get in with little,force or damage to most homes.

Most break ins are through the front door. It's easy to kick most in . Dead bolts are nice
But if you did not reinforce the jamb, it's in a half inch piece of pine that a fat 12 year old can break with a kick or two.

Replace the strike plate with a 5 or 6 inch one mortised into the wood and use 4 inch screws so,they reach into the stud . There are also whole door length strips of metal that you can use .

Lock your windows! I guess 50% of bathroom windows are unlocked , that's the first place I try to get in if we don't need to get in fast and want to limit damage .

A large number of break ins are by folks who,have been inside your home , or someone who,has told them about what you have . My gun safes are not in view of casual visitors , I hire mostly other firefighters to,work on my home .

Get to know your neighbors , a noisy retired neighbor can be a good thing .

One guy I work,with used to work for a bank on the side, cleaning out houses the bank " took back." He'd go in daylight drill out the lock and enter , only one time in years of doing this was he ever questioned .

Oh and that's another thing the screws in your deadbolt are all at "9" and "3" and can be drilled out in seconds . You can buy ones that can't be .
Larry302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 03:03 PM   #46
BristolCavendish
Banned

Not owning anything worth stealing helps. Sometimes.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 10:12 PM   #47
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Has anyone used the 3M Window Security Film to help protect the windows from breakage?
Don't think that would help much, but hurricane impact windows and doors would.

If you live in a hurricane prone area it's a good idea anyway, and a burgler will have a very difficult entry. Plus you'll get the benefit of reduced insurance premiums which will help offset the cost, more efficient heating and cooling retention, and noise reduction.

It's similar conceptually to what many businesses use that have a storefront window exposure. A would be thief won't simply be able to take a hammer and break your window.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 10:55 PM   #48
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
I know you cannot stop someone from breaking into your house; however, what are some tips that you have to deter a criminal from choosing your home as a target or at least slow them down?
location location location

live in a gated neighborhood. get an alarm. get a dog. run electricity through the door handles as a last resort while away. get cameras. live next door to a police officer.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 01:47 AM   #49
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I hang an ISIS flag on my house, so I know I'm being watched by multiple government agencies.
Old 11 December 2017, 02:13 AM   #50
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
I hang an ISIS flag on my house, so I know I'm being watched by multiple government agencies.
Or practice Syariah law... where thieves get their hands chopped off
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:16 AM   #51
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post

better yet, just forgo having a home at all.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:16 AM   #52
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
not sure i would want to live in a place where that was thought to be necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
You could have all that here, but why would you want to? I'd prefer to live somewhere that didn't cost the equivalent of a GMT a week to pay for security.
I'd agree too.

However these days these home intruders aren't smashing in only looking for goods to steal, but actively targeting your loved ones inside...
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:53 AM   #53
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
I'd agree too.

However these days these home intruders aren't smashing in only looking for goods to steal, but actively targeting your loved ones inside...
Just make sure no one loves you.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 11:57 AM   #54
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Tips for Home Security to Prevent a Burglary

Believe me I’m not allowed to talk about my deterrents on here. By the time the alarm went off and they tried to make it upstairs it would be a very very very bad day for a home intruder at my house. Only choice would be what I decided to use as the deterrent. Thank goodness Alabama has no issues with the 2nd amendment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 10:46 PM   #55
YoTechBoii
"TRF" Member

perhaps arlo pro is worth checking? this has got 2way communication, night vision and motion sensor. I find it costly tho, lol so friendly to the pockets.
YoTechBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 11:33 PM   #56
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsr View Post
They did a story years ago where they actually interviewed guys behind bars and the #1 thing they said they feared was a person home with a gun. They almost all said pass and go to an easier target. Not sure how they would know unless you put NRA stickers all over the door.

I used to have a job on the county line border, which was basically in farm area. Almost all the people that had houses close to to fields had break ins once the corn was high, some 2-3 times in a season. Personally I wouldn't want forest growth coming too close to my perimeter without some distance and good flood light coverage.

I agree with Larry 302. I knew a guy that fell on hard times and teamed up with a career criminal to break into houses. They basically did the same thing. Wore a brown suit to look like a UPS guy, carried and clip board, knocked on all doors then broke in when no one answered. Needless to say we parted ways real fast.

So I guess the best thing is get a dog, preferably a big one that is loud. Make sure doors are secure and have proper jams. Windows locked. Alert neighbors that won't hesitate to call the police is invaluable too.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 12:03 AM   #57
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I was once told that a dog, no matter the size, was the best deterrent.

Things that go boom are not a deterrent at all, because typically the thief is complete unaware that you have them. And unless you are home to use them, they are useless.

Alarm systems are OK, but a good thief can get through that easy.

Lights and cameras are good, but also easy to get around.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 12:24 AM   #58
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Dogs won't do much,sorry. If someone is targeting your home all they need to do is grab one of those cotton coffee bags,wrap it around a female dog during those " heat" days for a day and then throw it at your vicious dogs,they will just go crazy. Power of pussy.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote