The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2017, 05:06 PM   #1
historybuff714
"TRF" Member

Unworn Condition/ Protective Plastics in place

Does this mean that the watch is BNIB?
This is not to offend anyone. I'm looking at some of the watches on the internet and see this a lot. I'm looking for a specific model but want to make sure that it's a new and not used by someone with plastic still on.
Thanks
historybuff714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 05:23 PM   #2
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by historybuff714 View Post
Maybe/maybe not.

The 'unworn condition' description could be a red flag as there are some folks who are actually reluctant to remove the protective plastic coverings for various reasons of their own (i.e. scratch abatement, resale considerations etc.).

Check the green circle/label on the case back. Sometimes it will show some wear if the watch was previously worn due to friction, perspiration, grime etc.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 06:55 PM   #3
peterpl
Banned

You better becareful with this. There are plenty of dealers especially on Instragram that wear watches with the stickers in place and resell them as brand new.

I've seen a few fishy adds where the stickers are all peeling and/or there are dust and an excessive amount of finger prints or micro hairlines for a brand new watch.

All my new watches have been flawless with no signs of the stickers peeling or dust/micro scratches on it anywhere.

BNIB is not always BNIB.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 07:45 PM   #4
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1
Buy it from an authorized dealer if you want peace of mind.

If you buy it from anywhere else, there is always a risk that it won't actually be new. Going through a trusted seller minimizes that risk but it is still there.

Before anyone yells at me for dissing trusted sellers, yes I know ADs can mess up too. It is theoretically possible for anything to happen, I guess, but the risk of not getting a BNIB, unworn watch is lowest at an AD. It is the most direct route from Rolex to your wrist.
SevenWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:03 PM   #5
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
You better becareful with this. There are plenty of dealers especially on Instragram that wear watches with the stickers in place and resell them as brand new.

I've seen a few fishy adds where the stickers are all peeling and/or there are dust and an excessive amount of finger prints or micro hairlines for a brand new watch.

All my new watches have been flawless with no signs of the stickers peeling or dust/micro scratches on it anywhere.

BNIB is not always BNIB.
LOL. fake ballers on instagram trying to wear fancy watches for free. #sidehustle
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 09:03 PM   #6
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenways View Post
buy it from an authorized dealer if you want peace of mind.

If you buy it from anywhere else, there is always a risk that it won't actually be new. Going through a trusted seller minimizes that risk but it is still there.

Before anyone yells at me for dissing trusted sellers, yes i know ads can mess up too. It is theoretically possible for anything to happen, i guess, but the risk of not getting a bnib, unworn watch is lowest at an ad. It is the most direct route from rolex to your wrist.

^^^This assumes that you buy only from an AD's unopened inventory in the back. Anything purchased from the display case has been handled at least twice daily by the employees for the entire time it's been in stock, as well as countless times by prospective customers, tire kickers, and the curious. Some more carefully than others.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 09:17 PM   #7
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is not to offend anyone. I'm looking at some of the watches on the internet and see this a lot. I'm looking for a specific model but want to make sure that it's a new and not used by someone with plastic still on.
Thanks
You are right to be cautious with the phrase "unworn condition"
It does not necessarily mean "new", or the seller would likely have said so, but rather could be a marketing slight of hand to describe the condition in familiar favorable terms.

Think "cheese" vs "cheese product" ...

http://www.organicauthority.com/mojo...or-cheese.html

Doesn't mean it's bad, it's just not cheese.

Old 11 December 2017, 11:57 PM   #8
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
My understanding is that unworn is not the same as BNIB.

But, unworn with stickers should still be a flawless product.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 12:55 AM   #9
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I've been buying Rolexes from AD's (BNIB) since 2008 and have never seen/bought one that came with the green sticker on back. I think they stopped doing this in the early 2000's. Ask for many pictures of the actual watch from different angles. If it has truly never been worn, all the edges of the protective film will be in place. If someone has worn or frequently handled the watch, the edges will be slightly curled up and not attached. A few weeks ago, I was looking at a 116613LN at my local AD. Most of the stickers were curled up at the edges. It doesn't mean that it has been worn, just handled frequently. If you truly want unworn BNIB, you need to do what Dr. Tom and I have done. Buy from an AD and request that no one opens the sealed coffin (plastic bin, whatever you want to call it) but you. Not even store employees should open it.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 01:33 AM   #10
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
[/b]

^^^This assumes that you buy only from an AD's unopened inventory in the back. Anything purchased from the display case has been handled at least twice daily by the employees for the entire time it's been in stock, as well as countless times by prospective customers, tire kickers, and the curious. Some more carefully than others.

I have tried on a White Gold BLRO at an AD, which the stickers are yellow and peeling off. There is even a tiny little chip on the crystal, which the dealer told me it is a dust that can be wiped off. That watch must have been sitting in the case for a very very long time.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 02:06 AM   #11
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

That is why not only the mere presence of the protective plastics, but the specific condition of each of the protective plastics, is very very important.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 02:31 AM   #12
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
[/b]

Excellent point!!!
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 03:53 AM   #13
historybuff714
"TRF" Member

Excellent points!!
What do you guys think of DavidSW? If the watch comes from him, given his rep can I put my mind at ease?
historybuff714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 06:24 AM   #14
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Excellent points!!
What do you guys think of DavidSW? If the watch comes from him, given his rep can I put my mind at ease?
Yes. Any of the well established sellers here describe their watches honestly. If they say fully stickered and unworn, the watch will be exactly that. If a watch has been worn, it will clearly show signs of being worn. The protective plastics on the watch should appear pristine.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 06:28 AM   #15
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
just remember, you can add stickers after the watch has been case nesting for years or after being polished/refurbished.

i've seen it.

and unless you know how many, and where, the stickers should be on a rolex depending on the vintage, stickers don't mean much.

date, condition, cards/papers and seller rep matter more if newborns are sought, imop.

better yet, buy from an AD to be 100pct
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 06:33 AM   #16
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Retained stickers has been a selling point for a while. Condition is something else entirely. Who in the right mind places any significance in a stained, sweaty, possibly smelly discoloured hologram?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:02 AM   #17
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Retained stickers has been a selling point for a while. Condition is something else entirely. Who in the right mind places any significance in a stained, sweaty, possibly smelly discoloured hologram?
Well, I guess when you put it that way....
Old 12 December 2017, 07:06 AM   #18
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I literally just inquired about a "LNIB" watch, that had scuffs on the hesalite (not a Rolex). The seller had no problem disclosing the info to me, but it wasn't listed in the description.

Always ask questions! Unworn doesn't mean Undropped on the floor.

the first hulk I ever looked at buying was almost exactly 3 years ago. Seller described that one as LNIB too, with the stickers on. Frankly, the watch was disgusting. It may have been in great shape, but you'd never know cause the was was literally so dirty.

Again, ask questions and as always buy the seller :)
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:15 AM   #19
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Quote:
Excellent points!!
Yes.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:18 AM   #20
hulkalicious
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post

BNIB is not always BNIB.
you can tell from the clarity of the sticker i.e any graining and its picked up the dirt off the skin
hulkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 08:05 AM   #21
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
This is why I raise an eyebrow when I see stuff like "LNIB" or "plastics in place" since, as many have said, this can be a way of not being outright deceitful but not necessarily 100% forthcoming. This can be a big deal when dealers are asking $17k for an "unworn" 16610LV vs $8k for a worn one.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 08:29 AM   #22
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
just remember, you can add stickers after the watch has been case nesting for years or after being polished/refurbished.

i've seen it.

and unless you know how many, and where, the stickers should be on a rolex depending on the vintage, stickers don't mean much.

date, condition, cards/papers and seller rep matter more if newborns are sought, imop.

better yet, buy from an AD to be 100pct
In my experience with multiple BNIB stickered watches from a few sellers here when you peel the stickers off many get stretched and deformed. Especially the ones on the clasp blades, buckle, and such. You would need a complete set of brand new stickers and be really good at placing them on to pull off an appearance of a brand new watch. Anyone can replace the caseback sticker, but good luck finding all of them.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 08:55 AM   #23
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
This is why I raise an eyebrow when I see stuff like "LNIB" or "plastics in place" since, as many have said, this can be a way of not being outright deceitful but not necessarily 100% forthcoming. This can be a big deal when dealers are asking $17k for an "unworn" 16610LV vs $8k for a worn one.
That is why the condition of each protective plastic sticker must be evaluated and graded one by one.

As is clearly evident, not every unworn watch is the same.

This is the case with many collectibles. Condition down to the smallest detail is crucially important.

Coins, sports cards, comics, etc all have multi layered and precise grading.

If these watches are carrying high values due to being unworn, it's time to establish a grading system that is universally accepted, accurate and definable. That includes the stickers too.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 09:17 AM   #24
Left wrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP PATEK PAM ROLEX
I've purchased an "unworn/ brand new" DD2 218235 which was discontinued. It was brand new and unworn, but it was also dated back in 2015 when it was new. If you go with a trusted seller on here they'll be straight with you if its legitimately brand new. That being said, at the rates for a BLNR today, I'd probably just go to an AD as other mentioned, they go for retail generally and always come into ADs they unlike the ceramic bezel stainless daytona. Try to go out of your state to save on tax (if you're in the states). There isn't much discount on these anyway. good luck!
Left wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 10:04 AM   #25
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I always figured for the most part watches on display at AD's were a few stickers were peeled so you could see the potential buy.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 11:40 AM   #26
79280_116520
"TRF" Member

I would buy the seller's reputation any day. Just seeing listings of BNIB with peeling stickers or UNPOLISHED for vintage models (super faded/worn dials)with PERFECT chamfer lugs and case draws red flags.
79280_116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 12:46 PM   #27
Seanken
Banned

Quote:
Excellent points!!
I trust DavidSW. My deal with him was perfect. Watch was exactly as described.
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 07:39 PM   #28
flv112
"TRF" Member

A gray dealer owner was wearing a fully stickered 116710LN and asked me if I'd like to buy it "brand-new-in-box"!
flv112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 01:55 AM   #29
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
BNIB Maybe this guy doesn't know what that means?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=574720
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 06:34 AM   #30
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
BNIB Maybe this guy doesn't know what that means?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=574720
LOL, just spit up in my mouth a little bit...
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote