The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 December 2017, 09:23 AM   #1
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Tips for Home Security to Prevent a Burglary

I know you cannot stop someone from breaking into your house; however, what are some tips that you have to deter a criminal from choosing your home as a target or at least slow them down?
Old 3 December 2017, 09:29 AM   #2
pborkstrom
"TRF" Member

https://youtu.be/ajwJSsRmDhA

Check this video out. One guy is a green beret. He does security consulting. This video is a demonstration of what a thief looks for when selecting a target. If the right person wants in, they'll get in. But if a burglar is selecting a target, make your house seem like too much of a hassle. They'll select someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pborkstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 09:29 AM   #3
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
#1 dog, then car in drive, beware of dog sign, Security cameras and alarm system is about last. they know alarms are not set or dont work and if they do the time the police get the alarm call from the alarm company and then have to respond there will be several minutes at least. All the time they need for a smash and grab. Get a dog, a BIG dog!
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:27 AM   #4
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Big dog or three

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:30 AM   #5
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
The biggest thing besides a dog, cameras and security systems, is an item we can’t discuss. It’s also good to let everyone know you have that CCL!

IBTL!
Old 3 December 2017, 11:23 AM   #6
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
The biggest thing besides a dog, cameras and security systems, is an item we can’t discuss. It’s also good to let everyone know you have that CCL!

IBTL!
That goes without saying for me. But I am assuming that he is concerned when he is not home. And can not protect it. A lot of these criminals will knock or ring the bell to see if someone is home and if not break in. If you answer they make up something (Looking for someone, lost, ect.) and then get out of dodge to the next victims home.
Old 3 December 2017, 11:27 AM   #7
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Being armed is not going to help unless it is 'home invasion' with which you are concerned.
This is a better option.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:41 AM   #8
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

I was thinking more this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog.jpg (10.0 KB, 452 views)
Old 3 December 2017, 11:46 AM   #9
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
An alarm and a security camera system is the best way to slow them down if not deter them completely. We've accidentally triggered our alarm a few times and the police were at our door within minutes. The system will also call the fire department if the main smoke detector is triggered and at night you can put the system in 'stay' mode and you'll sleep so much better at night. We still have a few baseball bats under the bed though...

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:56 AM   #10
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

I will disagree, an alarm and cameras do nothing to slow them down. If anything they know they have to work faster to get out before the police arrive. On a good day maybe a cop is close and can get there quickly but most of these incidents are done in 3-5 minutes or less. Very few are ever caught in the act because of the alarm alerting the police.
Old 3 December 2017, 12:17 PM   #11
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Audible++ radio on in garage and in house, when out, whether on errands or out of town.
Do have a barker.
Signs in windows x 3, "hidden cameras on".
Security alarm signage.
Neighborhood Watch signs.
Nightlights every room.
Lights on each side of house exterior.
Mailbox always clear, no mail pileup.
No newspapers remain in driveway.

BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:26 PM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Lights and dogs..
Old 3 December 2017, 12:29 PM   #13
goin camping
"TRF" Member

2 100lbs plus German Shepherds. Many signs on the outer perimeter that say K-9 on duty. door latch plates are 4 feet long and the screws go into the wall studs not just the door latch piece of wood. All exterior doors are solid.

More cars than people here so "extra" vehicles are moved around every couple of days.

Motion lights on all sides.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:45 PM   #14
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddog359 View Post
I will disagree, an alarm and cameras do nothing to slow them down. If anything they know they have to work faster to get out before the police arrive. On a good day maybe a cop is close and can get there quickly but most of these incidents are done in 3-5 minutes or less. Very few are ever caught in the act because of the alarm alerting the police.
I guess what you're saying is I should be knocking on wood?

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 12:53 PM   #15
AP8ESQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Being armed is not going to help unless it is 'home invasion' with which you are concerned.
This is a better option.

Looks just like mine. 145 pounds of Rottweil's finest export and he is always home... and hungry.
AP8ESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 01:43 PM   #16
s14roller
"TRF" Member

German Shepherd at home here. Dog barks anytime someone walks up the driveway. If a large dog isn't an option, I'd say motion detection floodlights, make sure a car is parked in driveway as much as possible, get something like a RING doorbell as they say it's a high chance thieves will ring doorbell first to see if anyone is home.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 02:44 PM   #17
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I have 10 dogs, yes 10. They aren’t large but just the barking is a great deterrent. We also don’t have a set work schedule.
Old 3 December 2017, 09:48 PM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
We have a GSD and a Rott.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:14 PM   #19
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I had three Great Danes at one time. They would surround any car that drove up. I never got tired of the look on people’s face when three 180lbs dogs were staring down at them. The downside being my yard was a “mine field” if you know what I mean.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:29 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
#1 dog, then car in drive, beware of dog sign, Security cameras and alarm system is about last. they know alarms are not set or dont work and if they do the time the police get the alarm call from the alarm company and then have to respond there will be several minutes at least. All the time they need for a smash and grab. Get a dog, a BIG dog!
does this count? 200+ pounds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02461.jpg (144.0 KB, 336 views)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:40 PM   #21
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
The alarm sign works as well as the alarm itself. If the thief plans to do anything more than a smash and grab he's not going to pick the house with the alarm system.

My doors have steel frames and three-point locks, which makes them really hard to break in to. They also have dual cylinder deadbolts, which means the thief will need a key to get back out if he comes through a window. Anything small enough to fit through a window is in the safe.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:59 PM   #22
tamiya
"TRF" Member

You fellas are amateurs

You don't know proper home security until you've seen how some Asians do it.

Firstly they are within a gated community... armed guard at community main gate.

Then their own house compound has their own guard detail.

House compound is 20' above the street level, sheer retaining wall facing the road. At the edge of the wall is surrounded by 6' high double fence... the space between fences is a dog run... freerange dobermans I think, not particularly housetrained either.

House building itself looks fairly conventional... but pretty sure the window glass is thick enough to survive small arms fire - because unlike other houses, they don't have security grilles. Roof has spikes that I initially thought were lightning rods ... I now suspect they're high voltage electrified.

And if any burglars manage to get thru thinking they'll have a vault full of fancy watches to steal... let's just say each one of the koi carp in their indoor fishpond is probably worth more than a PM timepiece. And there's a whole shoal of them in there swimming around gracefully.

Interesting way of life living in such a fortress, lucky I'm just a visitor.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:01 PM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
You fellas are amateurs

Firstly they are within a gated community... armed guard at community main gate.

House compound is 20' above the street level, sheer retaining wall facing the road. At the edge of the wall is surrounded by 6' high double fence... the space between fences is a dog run... freerange dobermans I think, not particularly housetrained either.

House building itself looks fairly conventional... but pretty sure the window glass is thick enough to survive small arms fire - because unlike other houses, they don't have security grilles. Roof has spikes that I initially thought were lightning rods ... I now suspect they're high voltage electrified.

And if any burglars manage to get thru thinking they'll have a vault full of fancy watches to steal... let's just say each one of the koi carp in their indoor fishpond is probably worth more than a PM timepiece. And there's a whole shoal of them in there swimming around gracefully.

not sure i would want to live in a place where that was thought to be necessary.
Old 3 December 2017, 11:12 PM   #24
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
You fellas are amateurs

You could have all that here, but why would you want to? I'd prefer to live somewhere that didn't cost the equivalent of a GMT a week to pay for security.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 12:45 AM   #25
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
does this count? 200+ pounds
I will say 200lbs of slobber will count!
But he is too cute and looks like a big baby lap dog. I bet he is spolied rotten. Keep the slobber towel handy too, my friend!
Old 4 December 2017, 02:33 AM   #26
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
We live in a semi "affluent" sub in far NW Houston/Cypress area....my neighbor spent thousands on home security system with camera's LED lights etc. They travel to Europe and are gone maybe 40 percent of the time. Last summer he knocked on my door asking if I had seen anything because he knows we stay home 99 percent of the time . They disabled his hightech system came in through the garage which sets 60ft from my bedroom and cleaned him out. I told him unless i was at doctor that day i saw zip and heard nothing.
They were nice enough to shut the doors etc. He lost over 35k in reported stolen stuff...his wife's Cartier watch was stolen also.They cut power to the house and the backup failed to work.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 03:38 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
We live in a semi "affluent" sub in far NW Houston/Cypress area....my neighbor spent thousands on home security system with camera's LED lights etc. They travel to Europe and are gone maybe 40 percent of the time. Last summer he knocked on my door asking if I had seen anything because he knows we stay home 99 percent of the time . They disabled his hightech system came in through the garage which sets 60ft from my bedroom and cleaned him out. I told him unless i was at doctor that day i saw zip and heard nothing.
They were nice enough to shut the doors etc. He lost over 35k in reported stolen stuff...his wife's Cartier watch was stolen also.They cut power to the house and the backup failed to work.
sounds like an inside job and they knew what to look for and coincidentally (or most likely not) the backup power failed.
Old 4 December 2017, 03:49 AM   #28
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
1) Alarm;
2) No set pattern or routine makes it very difficult to know when the house is empty.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:21 AM   #29
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
sounds like an inside job and they knew what to look for and coincidentally (or most likely not) the backup power failed.
Maybe? she is a Realtor and flashes that Cartier watch and love bracelet around to much. I think the bracelet was worth more than the watch its like 10 grand....
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 04:25 AM   #30
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Has anyone used the 3M Window Security Film to help protect the windows from breakage?