The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 30 October 2018, 09:39 AM   #1
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Getting bit by the Panerai bug - Panerai Lingo?

I’m learning more and more about Panerai and the more I learn, the more I love them. But the more I learn, the more I realize there is so much to learn. Every time I hear a new term, I end up on an expedition to research it and learn what it means. Some were obvious. Some were obvious only now that I know them. And some terms I just can’t find answers to.

At first, I was a little overwhelmed with all the Panerai lingo but as I catch on, I’m just hoping to learn more and more and hoping to find a more centralized resource.

Having to research differences between luminor and Radiomir was easy. Trying to figure out the difference bwtween a 1940 case. And a 1950case was a little more involved. And it’s things like that, I’m hoping can be found relatively easily.

Or should I just start a thread with every new question and dip into the collective knowledge of TRF with each question/term?
~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 10:00 AM   #2
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Haze~ View Post
I’m learning more and more about Panerai and the more I learn, the more I love them. But the more I learn, the more I realize there is so much to learn. Every time I hear a new term, I end up on an expedition to research it and learn what it means. Some were obvious. Some were obvious only now that I know them. And some terms I just can’t find answers to.

At first, I was a little overwhelmed with all the Panerai lingo but as I catch on, I’m just hoping to learn more and more and hoping to find a more centralized resource.

Having to research differences between luminor and Radiomir was easy. Trying to figure out the difference bwtween a 1940 case. And a 1950case was a little more involved. And it’s things like that, I’m hoping can be found relatively easily.

Or should I just start a thread with every new question and dip into the collective knowledge of TRF with each question/term?
ask away....

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 10:14 AM   #3
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Is there any type of system to they model numbers and how they determine case size? Is there any method to the madness or is it just madness!

I know how to identify the luminor line over the Radiomir line, but what about the Marina Militare or submersibles? Is this based on the casing? Or how much does the case, crown, and cover factor into the classifying of each line?

Best I can tell, 1950 case is a case made from one solid piece of steel. Is a 1940 just a case with integrated lugs?

I had a million questions but I got lost on google and forgot where I was as I shopped watches so I’m sure I’ll be posting them as I remember them? And even more as I hear more terms that I don’t know.

Probably like most watch enthusiasts, I’m a pretty analytical person and (for instance, with Rolex, I know, follow and understand the lines and models very well) ultimaltey, I think I’m looking To eventually understand (and be able to at least converse with) Panerai the same way I understand Rolex.
Old 30 October 2018, 04:57 PM   #4
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
There is so much history involved in so many of the models. And some are more historically correct than others. Before I got my Marina Militare PAM 673, for example, which is a Luminor 1950, I did quite a bit of digging about it's history. It looked like quite a unique model in the display case, and I had to know more about it. That's when I ended up getting it. For me, the exciting thing about Panerai is that you have basically, in so many models, got a watch that pretty much looks identical to the original models.

Anyway, I am constantly looking up references to various models, some that I have and some that other members post. Just to get a better idea. I'm still learning as well, both from online reviews and articles, and many of the more informed members on this forum.

Basically, from what I see, is that the Luminor 1950 is the same case as the Radiomir 1940 but with the large crown guard with lever mechanism.

Anyway, take your time, there is a heck of a lot to learn and enjoy. I have five now, and I really have a difficult time deciding which is my favorite. I have never owned as many models of a single brand, and love each one of them.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 30 October 2018, 05:17 PM   #5
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Take a look at this website, www.perezcope.com
Loads of fascinating info' on there about the history of Panerai.

Enjoy!
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 08:21 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Is there any type of system to they model numbers and how they determine case size? Is there any method to the madness or is it just madness!

100% madness, but, that's part of the fun.

The best would be to go to a boutique and try a bunch on. Some of the differences are subtle, but important.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 08:30 PM   #7
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Panerai is a great brand and can be a lot of fun. Years ago I got frustrated with the LE releases and the availability of certain models. Sound familiar. Moved away but always had a special place for them. I currently have three 47 mm models and could not be more pleased. I own the 690, 422 and 389. Just search and read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181021_132824 (002).jpg (226.7 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg 20180221_093617 (002).jpg (202.7 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg 20180717_100230 (002).jpg (181.7 KB, 315 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 10:54 PM   #8
nick c
Banned

The best system, go try them all on. To see which one fits best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 06:10 AM   #9
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the posts. Everyone. I especially appreciate you posting your Panerai watches because it puts things in perspective and let's me view several next to each other.

I was always somewhat intrigued by Panerai but never knowledgeable enough to know what I was looking at or knowledgeable enough to appreciate a watch with such history. Not that any of that is a deciding factor - it all just adds to the appeal.

For me, I was sitting with a friend and as we just talked watches, we tried on each other's watches. My sea dweller for his Luminor GMT 8 day acciaio. The way it worked, the way it felt, the design, the weight.... I instantly just fell in love with it.

And as time goes on, I'm poking around more and more and talking to people.Every bit I learn is great. My main thing is, as I mentioned, being a very analytical, curious person. I have this annoying habit of trying learn everything... About everything.

But for now, at least I know more than the basics and can convenes on the topic. I'll pick up details as time goes on and I see different features and watches that I like.

With Rolex, I run across it all the time where people will notice a Rolex I'm wearing but other than the crown, they know nothing to the point where they don't know the difference between an Air King or a Smurf.

I've already learned so much and it is a maddening Brand with so much history (thus so many models) that it's a lot to Take in.

But thank you for the welcome and posting your watches. Please, feel free to keep showing your watches and I'd love to hear what you like about each piece.in the mean time. I'll be reading along.
Old 31 October 2018, 09:05 AM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

^ 233 is one of the best. If you get serious about that model, you’ll have to decide if you want the AM/PM dial or the “dot” dial (few early series).... goes to show you, yes, there’s a lot of details to learn. :-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 11:38 PM   #11
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
^ 233 is one of the best. If you get serious about that model, you’ll have to decide if you want the AM/PM dial or the “dot” dial (few early series).... goes to show you, yes, there’s a lot of details to learn. :-)
Lol.. oh, so true. I was trying to find information on what you even meant by the “dot dial” so off too google I go. I search and search and search and what happens? It brings me to a thread right here on this very topic. A thread from 2009. But Relevant to this discussion.

It jut goes to show you, there really is.... no place like home.
Old 1 November 2018, 06:42 AM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

233 dot dial. An incredible piece. 1950 case, dome, dot dial (notice half moon shape below seconds hand which shows night/day) and useful complications
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BAAB743F-EB73-437B-9462-05FC378CF13C.jpeg (168.9 KB, 239 views)
Old 2 November 2018, 08:49 AM   #13
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Panerai is a fascinating brand with a rich & varied history that's intertwined with Rolex which gives it an extra special appeal to me as I love both brands.

Here's a pic of my 673 for your continued education..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 11:54 AM   #14
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the pics and info. I’ve been looking into the 233 and the dot is blowing my mind. Also the way some seem to have a gmt hand and some don’t. And some have it on the main dial and some on the sub dial. Considering how many models they have, with so many slight variations, you think they’d just make that a different model.
Old 5 November 2018, 06:00 PM   #15
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for the pics and info. I’ve been looking into the 233 and the dot is blowing my mind. Also the way some seem to have a gmt hand and some don’t. And some have it on the main dial and some on the sub dial. Considering how many models they have, with so many slight variations, you think they’d just make that a different model.
In my image above, the GMT hand is hidden below hour hand. That way dial is less cluttered. It’s a clever idea.
Old 7 November 2018, 05:47 AM   #16
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Since most of your questions revolve around the cases, I'll give you a very oversimplified version. The cases essentially evolve chronologically; Radiomir > Radiomir 1940 > Luminor 1950 > Luminor > Luminor Due. There are some other cases out there but these are the main ones.

The Radiomir is a cushion case with wire lugs that must be removed to change the strap. The Radiomir is the oldest of the case designs and the most "formal" looking.

The Radiomir 1940 is a hybrid of the Radiomir and Luminor. It's kind of a transition piece. It's a Radiomir case but with fixed lugs. This makes strap changes much easier to perform. Panerai re-introduced this case a few years back and have been making a lot of models in this case lately.

The Luminor 1950 has a similar case to the Radiomir 1940 in that it has compound curves. This gives it a more refined look when compared to the Luminor case. The biggest change here is the addition of the device protecting the crown. This is the signature design cue for Panerai. The 1950 case models tend to be more expensive because the cases have a little more detail.

The Luminor is case shape that was a modernized version of the Luminor 1950 case released in the 90s. It is less curvy and more of a block. Some describe it as a "tuna can." This was the case design that brought Panerai back to prominence in the 90s. Most of the models in this case run around 44mm. This particular case is a great starting point for people interested in Panerai because the size is reasonable, the case has the device protecting the crown, and the costs aren't astronomical.

The Luminor Due is the newest Panerai case design. It's a thinner Luminor 1950 case. Many have micro-rotors and come in smaller sizes. The idea was to offer the same Panerai DNA in a smaller package with more refinement. Of all the "Luminor" cases, the Luminor Due is the most refined and dressy.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2018, 02:20 AM   #17
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Since most of your questions revolve around the cases, I'll give you a very oversimplified version. The cases essentially evolve chronologically; Radiomir > Radiomir 1940 > Luminor 1950 > Luminor > Luminor Due. There are some other cases out there but these are the main ones.

The Radiomir is a cushion case with wire lugs that must be removed to change the strap. The Radiomir is the oldest of the case designs and the most "formal" looking.

The Radiomir 1940 is a hybrid of the Radiomir and Luminor. It's kind of a transition piece. It's a Radiomir case but with fixed lugs. This makes strap changes much easier to perform. Panerai re-introduced this case a few years back and have been making a lot of models in this case lately.

The Luminor 1950 has a similar case to the Radiomir 1940 in that it has compound curves. This gives it a more refined look when compared to the Luminor case. The biggest change here is the addition of the device protecting the crown. This is the signature design cue for Panerai. The 1950 case models tend to be more expensive because the cases have a little more detail.

The Luminor is case shape that was a modernized version of the Luminor 1950 case released in the 90s. It is less curvy and more of a block. Some describe it as a "tuna can." This was the case design that brought Panerai back to prominence in the 90s. Most of the models in this case run around 44mm. This particular case is a great starting point for people interested in Panerai because the size is reasonable, the case has the device protecting the crown, and the costs aren't astronomical.

The Luminor Due is the newest Panerai case design. It's a thinner Luminor 1950 case. Many have micro-rotors and come in smaller sizes. The idea was to offer the same Panerai DNA in a smaller package with more refinement. Of all the "Luminor" cases, the Luminor Due is the most refined and dressy.

Yes, that’s pretty much what I’ve been trying to learn and gives me a perfect jumping off point. And that’s what I’ve been curious about is the cases. I have an understanding of the different lines now, and all the questions I had on the dials was easily searchable but it was the questions on the cases that were leading me no where.

Great post. Thank you.
Old 9 November 2018, 12:55 AM   #18
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, that’s pretty much what I’ve been trying to learn and gives me a perfect jumping off point. And that’s what I’ve been curious about is the cases. I have an understanding of the different lines now, and all the questions I had on the dials was easily searchable but it was the questions on the cases that were leading me no where.

Great post. Thank you.
Not a problem. Dials typically come with either applied numerals (also known as sausage dials) or cut-out numerals (also known as sandwich dials). The sandwich dials tend to be the more desired dials. The higher end models typically have sandwich dials. This is the second layer of choices after case choice when choosing Panerai. Once you have these two things figured out, all you need to do is determine what complications you want and what dial color you want. In the past the dials were more or less limited to black and white. Now Panerai offers limited edition green and blue dials in addition to black and white. Typically most people go with a black dial as it is the most "classic."
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote