The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 August 2018, 11:38 PM   #1
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Panerai Due line

Im not in the market but my wife and kid tried this on yesterday as we were windo shopping. Its a realy cute watch. We both agree it looks perfect on a gal. Lady was telling me Richemont makes the movement and not panerai.

Was nice watch
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2018, 11:47 PM   #2
vivicorsi
Banned

Maybe for women ... I do like it on photos, but than tried it on the wirst... and naahh I just cannot get it. It just didn’t click , too thin, too dressy. Not the Panerai DNA I wish for.
vivicorsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 12:16 AM   #3
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I tried on the 42 and really liked it. 38 would be way too small for a Pam. Great alternative to dress up. The struggle for me is the water rating. Basically can’t get wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 03:36 AM   #4
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

No offense to anyone, but IMHO saying they’re cute, for women, and too small for a PAM will give some people the wrong impression of the Due line. I think a watch should fit the wrist, need, and personal style of its owner.

The 728 was my first PAM. I have a small wrist and was looking for a dress watch when I stumbled across this model, and honestly, the brand, as I didn’t know them at the time (always owned more modestly-priced watches). I didn’t learn about the water rating concerns some people have until later. Full disclosure, that did scare me a little as I read more about the brand’s history, but then I realized it fits my needs perfectly—size, water rating, and all.

The Due line might be great for someone with similar requirements to mine for a dress watch. I don’t need to take it near water other than when washing my hands, and it’s thinner than other current PAM models while maintaining the same unique styling.

I now have a number of PAMs from 42-47mm, Luminor and Radiomir. They all feel equally like PAMs to me.

rpjp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 03:44 AM   #5
synequano
Banned

Well,if I'm looking for a thin,smaller pams,I'd go and pick the older radiomirs in 40/42mm

Pam 62,40 mm radiomir WG with Zenith movement and 100m WR

Pam 338,42 mm radiomir titanio with P999 movt and also 100m WR
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 03:52 AM   #6
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Those also look like great options for some buyers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 1 September 2018, 05:02 AM   #7
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjp3 View Post
No offense to anyone, but IMHO saying they’re cute, for women, and too small for a PAM will give some people the wrong impression of the Due line. I think a watch should fit the wrist, need, and personal style of its owner.

The 728 was my first PAM. I have a small wrist and was looking for a dress watch when I stumbled across this model, and honestly, the brand, as I didn’t know them at the time (always owned more modestly-priced watches). I didn’t learn about the water rating concerns some people have until later. Full disclosure, that did scare me a little as I read more about the brand’s history, but then I realized it fits my needs perfectly—size, water rating, and all.

The Due line might be great for someone with similar requirements to mine for a dress watch. I don’t need to take it near water other than when washing my hands, and it’s thinner than other current PAM models while maintaining the same unique styling.

I now have a number of PAMs from 42-47mm, Luminor and Radiomir. They all feel equally like PAMs to me.

agree 100%, the due line has brought in many new customers who wanted the iconic 'look' without the bulk of the larger more traditional pams.

if i didn't already have a dress watch the due would be on my wrist as well.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 01:49 AM   #8
erik asher
"TRF" Member

The Due has expanded OP’s customer base significantly. And interestingly, a number of clients started with the Due but then went bigger and thicker for their next PAM. I think the Due at 42mm and 45mm was a brilliant move for OP. I completely disagree with the strategy around the 38mm Due. I think it erodes brand identity and the 38mm just looks too small to be a Panerai in person (even with the crown guard). Finally, I really don’t like the movement on the 38mm Due. It takes two turns of the crown to click the date and the watch just feels and looks completely insubstantial, IMHO.

So I overall applaud the Due line, but I think the 38mm Due went too far (could have stuck with 40mm to not have eroded brand identity)...
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 02:00 AM   #9
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Regarding the water rating, how do you wash it? Any issues? Can you run it under the tap (I assume not)?
Old 2 September 2018, 02:11 AM   #10
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Regarding the water rating, how do you wash it? Any issues? Can you run it under the tap (I assume not)?
guess it depends where you’re washing your hands

WATER RESISTANCE
"3 bar (~30 metres)"

98 feet 5.102 inches

always find these comments comical....

chgo_risti on IG
Old 2 September 2018, 02:14 AM   #11
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
guess it depends where you’re washing your hands

WATER RESISTANCE
"3 bar (~30 metres)"

98 feet 5.102 inches

always find these comments comical....
Exactly, no way this piece hits 30 meters.
Old 2 September 2018, 04:13 AM   #12
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly, no way this piece hits 30 meters.
the closest any of these watches get is an occasional shower or a car wash.

chgo_risti on IG
Old 2 September 2018, 04:16 AM   #13
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I haven’t had to wash it yet. I imagine I would wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth. I don’t tend to use my watches in any conditions that would require more though.

I’ve never actually run any watch under a tap, now that I think about it.

Some of what I read about water rating indicates that it’s the pressure of being submerged that really impacts the rating most if the watch is rated. I don’t know the extent to which this is correct. As a refresher, I’ll be sure to look in my manual for what Panerai says at some point.

Old 2 September 2018, 04:47 AM   #14
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
The Due has expanded OP’s customer base significantly. And interestingly, a number of clients started with the Due but then went bigger and thicker for their next PAM. I think the Due at 42mm and 45mm was a brilliant move for OP. I completely disagree with the strategy around the 38mm Due. I think it erodes brand identity and the 38mm just looks too small to be a Panerai in person (even with the crown guard). Finally, I really don’t like the movement on the 38mm Due. It takes two turns of the crown to click the date and the watch just feels and looks completely insubstantial, IMHO.

So I overall applaud the Due line, but I think the 38mm Due went too far (could have stuck with 40mm to not have eroded brand identity)...

I started with 42mm and went sideways and up to bigger pieces as well. I am limited by what I think fits my wrist size though. I’m not a small guy, but I have small wrists (6.3”) —which I only learned when I started buying these watches. It’s a good thing too or I’d have even more of them looming on the horizon.

I took some crude measurements of my watches, and one thing I think is interesting is the 42mm Due has about the same size dial as a 44mm bettarini luminor case. It’s possible that a 38mm Due could have the same dial presence as a 40mm, if that matters at all.

Personally, I still don’t understand why anything is too small to be a PAM if it still fits their design pattern. I’d like to think that someone, man or woman, with an even smaller wrist than mine can still feel that they bought a PAM even though it’s small and fits their body size. I understand though that I may be in the minority with that opinion.

Here is an interesting question. Is there a size that’s too big to be a PAM? Maybe that one needs its own thread.

Old 2 September 2018, 06:00 AM   #15
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I started with 42mm and went sideways and up to bigger pieces as well. I am limited by what I think fits my wrist size though. I’m not a small guy, but I have small wrists (6.3”) —which I only learned when I started buying these watches. It’s a good thing too or I’d have even more of them looming on the horizon.

I took some crude measurements of my watches, and one thing I think is interesting is the 42mm Due has about the same size dial as a 44mm bettarini luminor case. It’s possible that a 38mm Due could have the same dial presence as a 40mm, if that matters at all.

Personally, I still don’t understand why anything is too small to be a PAM if it still fits their design pattern. I’d like to think that someone, man or woman, with an even smaller wrist than mine can still feel that they bought a PAM even though it’s small and fits their body size. I understand though that I may be in the minority with that opinion.

Here is an interesting question. Is there a size that’s too big to be a PAM? Maybe that one needs its own thread.

It’s a fun philosophical question for us watch nerds and especially Paneristi. My issue with the 38mm Due is that while it keeps the essential case design elements in tact, it loses the essential element of brand identity—the presence and size of the watch and it’s masculine demeanor. Panerai wasn’t originally made or marketed to be a “woman’s watch.” What made Panerai an iconic watch brand was it’s big oversized dials. 38mm is mainstream; safe, and common. Panerai is anything but mainstream and common. When you wear a Panerai, you make a statement that you are going against the luxury watch grain. A 38mm PAM is simply ordinary, IMHO. It’s a Rolex datejust with a crown guard and a less substantial movement. Nothing wrong with that—but not what I think of when I think of Panerai. To me, the brand is about size, strength, and identity. The 38mm doesn’t tick any of those boxes to me.

With that said, Officine Panerai gives up brand identity to increase their customer base. The question for Richemont is which is more important—increased revenue (it is a public company afterall and the increase in revenue is a multiplier effect as a number of new clients will buy more than one) or strength and integrity of brand identity. For the moment, at least, the argument for increase in revenue won out. We will see if that continues in the future. I am hoping this is the end of the 38mm PAM watch experiment!
Old 2 September 2018, 07:09 AM   #16
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s a fun philosophical question for us watch nerds and especially Paneristi. My issue with the 38mm Due is that while it keeps the essential case design elements in tact, it loses the essential element of brand identity—the presence and size of the watch and it’s masculine demeanor. Panerai wasn’t originally made or marketed to be a “woman’s watch.” What made Panerai an iconic watch brand was it’s big oversized dials. 38mm is mainstream; safe, and common. Panerai is anything but mainstream and common. When you wear a Panerai, you make a statement that you are going against the luxury watch grain. A 38mm PAM is simply ordinary, IMHO. It’s a Rolex datejust with a crown guard and a less substantial movement. Nothing wrong with that—but not what I think of when I think of Panerai. To me, the brand is about size, strength, and identity. The 38mm doesn’t tick any of those boxes to me.

With that said, Officine Panerai gives up brand identity to increase their customer base. The question for Richemont is which is more important—increased revenue (it is a public company afterall and the increase in revenue is a multiplier effect as a number of new clients will buy more than one) or strength and integrity of brand identity. For the moment, at least, the argument for increase in revenue won out. We will see if that continues in the future. I am hoping this is the end of the 38mm PAM watch experiment!

Great thoughts Erik

Old 2 September 2018, 11:48 PM   #17
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:

Like you, the Due allows me to wear Pam on certain occasion that needs formal dressing. I have the 44mm Luminor for the casuals. Right now, I’m digging on a 47mm Radiomir as well. So Panerai doesn’t have to be one dimensional catering only to a specific segment. For me, it did right by expanding its product line to cater to more customer segments.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 11:57 PM   #18
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
My wife hates panerai... but she was actually okay with the due. One day for the gals it might be a coin flip between the 38mm Due or the bulgari octo infinitessimo
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 02:34 AM   #19
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Right now, I’m digging on a 47mm Radiomir as well.

Which Rad?

Old 3 September 2018, 02:38 AM   #20
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Have you tired the 45mm Due yet? I think it wears similar or smaller to the 44mm Luminor. I appreciate the thin profile of the Due. Considering getting the Due as a dress watch (for business meetings), but still undecided between a 45mm or a 42mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
Like you, the Due allows me to wear Pam on certain occasion that needs formal dressing. I have the 44mm Luminor for the casuals. Right now, I’m digging on a 47mm Radiomir as well. So Panerai doesn’t have to be one dimensional catering only to a specific segment. For me, it did right by expanding its product line to cater to more customer segments.

blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 02:41 AM   #21
blacke90
"TRF" Member

You caught the Panerai bug, but did so in a reserve order starting with the Due. Would’ve done the same as you if I didn’t know about Panerai and was looking for a dress watch. Congrats on your PAMs!

Quote:

Old 3 September 2018, 03:01 AM   #22
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
You caught the Panerai bug, but did so in a reserve order starting with the Due. Would’ve done the same as you if I didn’t know about Panerai and was looking for a dress watch. Congrats on your PAMs!

You ain’t kiddin’. I went into a store, not long ago, to browse IWC watches, and now I have a handful of Panerai. I’m buying new straps every 5 minutes, and I’ve spent the last 2 days staring at pictures of the 449, 720, and 721 trying to decide if I should sell/trade my 449 to move to a 72*

Old 3 September 2018, 03:09 AM   #23
blacke90
"TRF" Member

No straps for you for the next two weeks! Haha I bought three straps in a week last month. Those PAMs you mentioned below are gorgeous. What about the 448?

Quote:
You ain’t kiddin’. I went into a store, not long ago, to browse IWC watches, and now I have a handful of Panerai. I’m buying new straps every 5 minutes, and I’ve spent the last 2 days staring at pictures of the 449, 720, and 721 trying to decide if I should sell/trade my 449 to move to a 72*

Old 3 September 2018, 03:27 AM   #24
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No straps for you for the next two weeks! Haha I bought three straps in a week last month. Those PAMs you mentioned below are gorgeous. What about the 448?

Ha. That won’t work. I already have 4 on hold while waiting to make a decision on 2 others.

I’m not a big fan of the California dial...but it is very different than my others. Maybe I’ll stare at a pic of that one for the next 2 days

Old 5 September 2018, 12:45 PM   #25
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Have you tired the 45mm Due yet? I think it wears similar or smaller to the 44mm Luminor. I appreciate the thin profile of the Due. Considering getting the Due as a dress watch (for business meetings), but still undecided between a 45mm or a 42mm.

I tried also the 45mm Luminor Due with date. It also wears thinly on my wrist despite the additional 3mm and being automatic. It can tuck neatly under the shirt cuffs.

I however decided to go for the 42mm Due for the following reasons:

1. I prefer manual wind for my Panerai
2. I didn’t like the extra text of “Automatic” at 6 o’clock
3. I also don’t like a date window

So my choice is purely personal. Nothing wrong with the bigger automatic case.

I firmly believe that Panerai did right in issuing this model.

Obligatory wrist shot:

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 01:11 PM   #26
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You would have to be crazy to trade a 449 for either the 720 or 721!! But if you decided to be crazy, a trade for the 720 would be a saner choice than a trade for 721....IMHO, keep the beautiful 449
Old 5 September 2018, 02:24 PM   #27
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

if you decided to make a trade after seeing both I’d go for the 721, the clean dial is amazing imho

good luck with whatever you decide.

chgo_risti on IG
Old 5 September 2018, 02:51 PM   #28
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You would have to be crazy to trade a 449 for either the 720 or 721!! But if you decided to be crazy, a trade for the 720 would be a saner choice than a trade for 721....IMHO, keep the beautiful 449

We all need to be a little crazy sometimes.

Right now I’m actually leaning toward the 448 as I don’t have anything like a California dial. A 721 or 249 would be backup plans. Doing nothing is a possibility as well.

By the way, when researching the California dial models, I learned that the seemingly very popular 249 has the same 30m water rating as as the Due models!

Did the 249 take the same heat for the low water resistance rating as the Due models? I haven’t been around on the forum long enough to know.

Old 5 September 2018, 05:13 PM   #29
rpjp3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
if you decided to make a trade after seeing both I’d go for the 721, the clean dial is amazing imho

good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you!

Old 5 September 2018, 07:06 PM   #30
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Did the 249 take the same heat for the low water resistance rating as the Due models? I haven’t been around on the forum long enough to know.

Apples and oranges, with the Due being a regular production Luminor (crown guard) available in small (for Panerai) sizes, compared to the 249, which was a limited edition 47mm Radiomir with plexi.

The 249 is a special & beloved Rad along with the 232, while the Due line is, at best, controversial. Go figure.

In the end, buy what you like and don't worry about forums or so-called Paneristi.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote