The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 November 2018, 03:52 AM   #1
ghw7
"TRF" Member

First Panerai - Advice

Hi all,

I'm on the verge of buying my first Panerai, and the one I've narrowed in on is the Luminor 1950 3 Days GMT Automatic Accacio (PAM01320). I like how clean the face is, the GMT function, and the small seconds hand in blue.

I'm not as familiar with Panerai as I am with Rolex so wanted to get people's POV on how this watch fits into their lineup. Is it considered a desirable reference (i.e. will it hold its value as well or better than others)?

Would also be open to hearing suggestions on other references to take a look at for my first purchase.

Lastly, what type of discount should I be negotiating for, if one at all? I'm buying for the first time from a high-end AD in San Francisco. Again, I'm not familiar with the Panerai market but from what I've read, anywhere from 25% down seems to be possible though I'm not sure if that information is dated. I'm trying to establish a relationship with this AD to get myself on their Rolex lists so don't want to ask for something that's ridiculous.

Thanks in advance for your help.
ghw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 07:15 AM   #2
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Nice looking reference. Since you are familiar with Rolex you understand that certain watches are thought to be closer to the history/roots of the brand.
Panerai is very similar...check out some of the base model references and some of the historic editions. No wrong choice...whatever you like
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 09:28 AM   #3
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
It's a great reference, but at the end of the day buy what sings to you. I prefer the extra hand but I majority like the cleaner simplier dials. The hand is hidden at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181101_1633486-768x1152.jpg (230.7 KB, 215 views)
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 12:40 PM   #4
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I know this is blasphemy on a Rolex forum, but once I got my 111, my Subs took a backseat. I wear my Panerai 90% of the time now; I love it.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 12:44 PM   #5
ghw7
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the advice. Went ahead and pulled the trigger tonight, it's a great feeling. I had it shipped back east and will pick it up when I'm out there next week. Pics coming soon!
ghw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 01:20 PM   #6
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghw7 View Post
Thanks all for the advice. Went ahead and pulled the trigger tonight, it's a great feeling. I had it shipped back east and will pick it up when I'm out there next week. Pics coming soon!
Congrats
...find a comfy place for your Rolex to take a break, lol
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:42 AM   #7
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

It's definitely a great Panerai to start with. People tend to gravitate towards the 1312 as a more basic 44mm Luminor 1950, or they go all out and get the 233 if they want the GMT function. There is nothing wrong with your choice however if you want a less cluttered dial with a GMT function. It's 44mm, has a sandwich dial, and is a Luminor. These are great starting points for a Panerai collection.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 06:01 AM   #8
DripCassanova
"TRF" Member

That model looks nice. I just bought my first Panerai in the 1950 3 days 320
DripCassanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:41 AM   #9
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I suggest going to AD to try it on. the 44mm 1950 case is not for everyone, at least not for me.

I wear 44mm Luminor case just fine, but the 1950 felt big. But that was before they put a slimmer movement inside.

Anyway, go try it and see. :)

Otherwise, there is always the 1088 GMT.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 05:39 AM   #10
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Very cool looking watches.. try it on and if it works out then go for it! 20% should be attainable on most models, but aim for 25% and see what happens! I recently helped another member get approx 21% off his Pam i believe. GOod Luck!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote