The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 June 2020, 09:12 AM   #61
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
I recently bought a 5127 having opted out of the newer 5227 because I find the latter’s size a touch too big for a simple Calatrava - despite it being a beautiful watch.

Now my Rolexes have gone, bar a Tag bought for me by my father when I was 12 and a Breitling he gave me when I was 24, my Collection is entirely Patek (that’s another 8 watches.) I’m telling you this to let you know that I’m a massive Patek fanboy.

So when I picked my 5127 I was delighted. I think it’s perfect. A beautiful simple and timeless watch with a lovely movement......
......and then, for similar money, my brother showed me his new ALS Saxonia in RG with outsized date, and I fell off my chair.

The ALS is SPECTACULAR. The quality of the finish, dial and movement, is on another planet to my (admittedly old) Calatrava. It looks like twice the watch. Three times the watch. The movement finish is sensational. The lustre of the hands, the dial, the details is something else. My PP has no answer.

It’s clear to me that ALS are finishing their cheapest watches to the same standard as they’re finishing their split seconds Chronos. It’s self evident.
By any objective measure the ALS is a superior watch (design being subjective IMO).
And to me ALS are perfectly capable of prizing Patek fanboys like me away. Their brand isn’t strong so their residuals suffer, but if they manage to carefully nurture that brand, Patek will have a true long term competitor that’s not a small independent manufacturer.

Have a bought an ALS yet? No.
Would I? I have to consider them. They’re just too good not to, especially used...

To the OP: I think at lower level Pateks, for the same money, the ALS pieces are in a league of their own.....
Thank you for this insight - as owner of both brands with 2 Pateks to 1 ALS, I concur with your views. They both have a place in any serious watch collection and rather than pitching them against each other perhaps we should enjoy them both in their uniqueness of what they bring to the table.
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 01:22 PM   #62
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post
Thank you for this insight - as owner of both brands with 2 Pateks to 1 ALS, I concur with your views. They both have a place in any serious watch collection and rather than pitching them against each other perhaps we should enjoy them both in their uniqueness of what they bring to the table.
Most people are lucky to afford one. For them it is an ''either/or'' situation.
In that case, I think you want to weigh the differences to make a decision.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 04:13 PM   #63
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Most people are lucky to afford one. For them it is an ''either/or'' situation.

In that case, I think you want to weigh the differences to make a decision.

Absolutely fair point. Was referring to watch collectors demographic in particular. In my experience most go on to add more than one Patek to their collection hence they could have added a Lange if they wished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 07:45 PM   #64
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I find the L1 an acquired taste with its dial layout, and somewhat pricey for its basic complications. At that price range, I will go for 5146 instead.
It’s not exactly as if the 5146 didn’t have a bit of a wild dial layout itself (which I happen to like a lot). Actually had both the 5227 and 5146 in front of me at the Patek Salon as recently as yesterday afternoon, because I‘m making a bit of a similar decision to the OP... except that while I was there, I was wearing my Lange 1 which I prefer over both Pateks.

But the fact remains that I found myself at the Patek Salon after purchasing the Lange... so obviously there are aspects it doesn’t cover.

Very different watches. The Calatravas, especially the rounder ones like the 5227 or 5146 are very French in character, the Lange is very Teutonic. A good collection should have room for both without risk of repetition. If one can have only one though, the L1 is my preference.

PS: personally decided in favor of a 5146g over a 5227r

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 06:37 AM   #65
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
Both are absolute high-end offerings with fantastic movements and level of finishing representing the best Switzerland and Germany (Glashuette), respectively. Both are iconic in their own way. The design language is quite different, one very no-nonsense German the other very elegant Swiss/French style. Patek is the stronger and more wellknown brand with resulting status / prestige. Whereas Lange is the more rare (approx. 5k watches a year vs. approx. 60k for Patek) and technically interesting brand, a real connoisseur's watch. For the specific references in questions, I feel that the Lange 1 is the most iconic of the two while the 5227 impresses with its very nice sculpted case and hunter back. The 5227 is indeed a little more a dress watch, but can still be "dressed down" with the right strap.

You cannot go wrong with either!

Disclaimer: Own both brands and would not trade one for the other...both are fantastic in their own way.
very well said, couldn't agree more
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 06:40 AM   #66
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Agree it's not an icon of the industry. I will say that if (big if) Lange were ever able to attain the status of Patek or AP in the future, this would be an icon.
agreed, and amazing collection btw !!!
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 07:55 AM   #67
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

There are many Pateks I would take over ALS and many ALS over Pateks.. Again here I would go with the ALS.. My personal choice
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote