The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 June 2020, 08:14 AM   #1
Johnny Crystal
"TRF" Member

Vintage Service

Who are the recommended independent people to service a vintage Sub from 1968? I'm afraid RSC might replace parts with new ones and keep the old ones...they tried this with the bracelet years ago.
I heard Bob Ridley was good but then a forum search brought up some disturbing things from years ago.
Thanks
JC
Johnny Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 08:22 AM   #2
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Crystal View Post
Who are the recommended independent people to service a vintage Sub from 1968? I'm afraid RSC might replace parts with new ones and keep the old ones...they tried this with the bracelet years ago.
I heard Bob Ridley was good but then a forum search brought up some disturbing things from years ago.
Thanks
JC
With regards to "what you've heard," I feel you need to take in the totality of the reputation and take with a grain of salt the anecdotal "disturbing" things you've read. Many on the Internet have axes to grind, are generally miserable, or might be in the wrong but willing to lie to feel vindicated in some sense.

Overall, The Ridley team, father and son, have a stellar reputation and many here would feel comfortable recommending them. You can even view their work here. I've never used them and from what I've seen and read, I wouldn't hesitate recommending a healthy look at them.

With that said, I have used RolliWorks for a full service, case polish, and bracelet restoration of a vintage DateJust and was over the moon happy with the results, price paid, and customer service. Mike is great to talk to, knows his stuff, understands the vintage mindset, and is willing to engage and satisfy any inquiries you may have.

You can feel comfortable with the recommendations you receive here as the circle is small and of course, always do your due diligence.
Old 5 June 2020, 08:45 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rik Dietel at Time Care in FLA is on your side of the world.
Old 5 June 2020, 08:57 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Did your search also bring up that he and his son are active forum members?

Yes, they are professionals, and have to take the bad with the good. But still, some discretion wouldn't go amiss.
Old 5 June 2020, 09:01 AM   #5
Johnny Crystal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Did your search also bring up that he and his son are active forum members?
I did but it was super vague about what the issues are. I feel like i'm operating in a "black hole" of info and just trying to find someone skilled, with no trust issues.
Old 5 June 2020, 09:44 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
I did but it was super vague about what the issues are. I feel like i'm operating in a "black hole" of info and just trying to find someone skilled, with no trust issues.
Give Giovani Passalacqua a call in San Francisco. Ran the top notch independent Rolex Service Center there for decades

210 Post St, San Francisco, CA 94108

(415) 982-9830
Old 6 June 2020, 01:14 AM   #7
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rik Dietel at Time Care in FLA is on your side of the world.
I had him service a Rolex for me, I would not recommend him.
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 02:41 AM   #8
Johnny Crystal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circles View Post
I had him service a Rolex for me, I would not recommend him.
Who would you then? You see why I am confused and frightened to send it off.
Old 6 June 2020, 02:55 AM   #9
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Who would you then? You see why I am confused and frightened to send it off.
I like both of the guys in Los Angeles;
LA Watchworks and ABC Watchwerks have both been consistently good. Be prepared to wait quite a while, they are very popular.
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 03:43 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Vague "issues" would be meaningless to me, like anonymous complaints. If the issue/complaint is real, a client should give details and stand behind it, or not mention it.

I've used the Ridleys several times through the years for service on some very valuable vintage Rolexes, and I have only high praise for them. Everything was done flawlessly, from relatively minor work, like installing crystals or bezels, to full chronograph movement service. (Prices are perhaps a little high, but you get what you pay for.)
swish77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 07:03 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I would never use Rolliworks again and would discourage anyone from doing so. I know several others that have used them and have never gone back.

I would recommend Phillip Ridley to anyone here for a service.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 09:31 AM   #12
Blueline226
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV, DaytonaC
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I would never use Rolliworks again and would discourage anyone from doing so. I know several others that have used them and have never gone back.

I would recommend Phillip Ridley to anyone here for a service.
May I ask why? I’m curious to know what issues you had with Rolliworks. You can DM me if you don’t want to discuss it here. I was considering sending a watch there to have the lugs done at some point. For the record, I’m sending my watch to Ridley next week. Phillipe has been nothing but professional this entire time. He’s not worked on a watch for me yet so I can’t attest to his services. However, after researcH, I have the upmost confidence in his ability.
Blueline226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 11:09 AM   #13
statsman
"TRF" Member

Phillip Ridley has serviced three watches for my wife and me. Very, very happy with the work. Another thing- Phillip is exceptional about communication on details and service decisions for them.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 01:05 PM   #14
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

I highly recommend Phillip Ridley as well. I only have experience with Phillip so can't comment on any others, but I really value Phillip's expertise and great communication. He has been, and continues to be, a great source of knowledge in my vintage pursuits.
bradleyt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 02:08 PM   #15
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline226 View Post
May I ask why? I’m curious to know what issues you had with Rolliworks. You can DM me if you don’t want to discuss it here. I was considering sending a watch there to have the lugs done at some point. For the record, I’m sending my watch to Ridley next week. Phillipe has been nothing but professional this entire time. He’s not worked on a watch for me yet so I can’t attest to his services. However, after researcH, I have the upmost confidence in his ability.
Phillip will take care of your watch needs - you won't have any issues with him. He's very reliable and honest.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 08:57 PM   #16
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Bob Ridley is a great guy, been using him for a decade and still use him till this day. I also use LAWW, they do great work as well, can’t go wrong with either.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 10:43 PM   #17
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
I own a Ridley redial watch. GREAT work to my untrained eye but even proper experts say so...I'd send him a watch with no reservations.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote