The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 March 2024, 07:18 PM   #1
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

How tough to get a 16202 Jumbo?

No prior AP purchase history. I've visited the boutiques and tried on lots of options but I only like the 16202 ultra thin.

How tough would it be for me to get one of these new from a UK AD/Boutique? I am happy with steel or rose gold. What would be the best advice for me to make it happen? I don't see myself buying the Code 11:59.

Forgive the naive question, but I hear things are opening up a bit to new customers in holy trinity brands and Rolex.
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 07:22 PM   #2
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxUK View Post
No prior AP purchase history. I've visited the boutiques and tried on lots of options but I only like the 16202 ultra thin.

How tough would it be for me to get one of these new from a UK AD/Boutique? I am happy with steel or rose gold. What would be the best advice for me to make it happen? I don't see myself buying the Code 11:59.

Forgive the naive question, but I hear things are opening up a bit to new customers in holy trinity brands and Rolex.

Just go grey. You’re not getting a jumbo as a first piece (and not likely as a second or third piece). Things may be relaxing, but not enough that you are getting close to a jumbo any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 07:29 PM   #3
Atmwireless
"TRF" Member

People hit the lottery all the time…. Buy your ticket and try.

Chances are low… but it’s happened

from what I understand, jumbos need approval from corporate and management…. Why would they pick you is the question you need to ask yourself. They would rather give it to a customer who buys codes and offshores before they offer it to a first time buyer
Atmwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 07:54 PM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

IMG_6305.jpeg
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 09:02 PM   #5
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Just go grey, the rose gold variant is not much about MSRP
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 01:10 AM   #6
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega

Just wait it out and look on the gray market later this year. Several APs are on a path to MSRP except for the truly limited skeletons, ceramics, and exotic QPs that will always be in demand and desirable.

There’s zero reason to play with an AP AD unless you’re truly into the brand and are willing to purchase Codes or Offshores. Which, are lovely watches for sure, but that’s where you’ll be for years while you wait for a Jumbo.

One can get the 26574st below retail price now. 15202s can be found very easily in the mid/upper $50s (16202s in the low $60s), which yes is still a premium but far less than the money you’ll lose on those Codes and Offshores.

Old 10 March 2024, 03:32 AM   #7
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

zero chance with no purchase history. jumbo is typically a 4th or 5th piece from AP so you're much better off just going grey and paying 50-60k for one than spending 6 figures with AP for a chance to get one
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 03:55 AM   #8
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Thanks folks - so things have not changed that much then... looks like grey may be the way. No harm in asking at a boutique, but basically unless things change a lot more I would not expect a call for a 16202.
Old 10 March 2024, 04:01 AM   #9
Timo_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
This xD
Timo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 04:10 AM   #10
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=938302
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 04:41 AM   #11
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

The Audemars Piguet 16202 ,Jumbo, 39mm ,stainless steel, time and date,no seconds hand, royal oak is pretty difficult to get.
Potawatomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 05:14 AM   #12
Narbeh
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP
Quote:

The answer is never with zero history.
Narbeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 07:54 AM   #13
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
“I’m a true watch enthusiast btw and I only buy what I love and have no intention of flipping.”
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 08:22 AM   #14
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I got my 15202 for a good price prehype but even before the explosion they weren't commonly found in the display case. I felt bad, a guy was trying on all the different RO when they were all readily availabe, and asked the SA if he should wait for the 15202 I butted in to say absolutely. Then a few months later nothing would be available.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 08:26 AM   #15
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was at a patek dealer and this guy came in and had all these numbers written on a post it note. Uhhh the only watches I like are uhhh (reading the note). 5712 5711 5167. Steel preferable but maybe gold if that is all you have....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 10:33 AM   #16
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
What you are describing about your goals. It is exactly what AP as a company doesn't want as a customer. So it's literally gonna take a miracle.
Old 10 March 2024, 10:37 AM   #17
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Best advice would be not to go to any AD / AP boutique and ask for one cuz it's never gonna happen.

If that is REALLY the only one you want (hard to believe frankly) then go grey. Otherwise this is a non-starter and unfortunately not available for flipping
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 10:56 AM   #18
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:

There is a reason they trade so far over retail. Unfortunately you need to buy second hand if you don’t want to give AP a new Ferrari amount of money, for watches you don’t want. Plus second hand gets you the timepiece right now.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 11:21 AM   #19
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I waited 7 years for my blue 26715st. I think it will be another 700 years before the 16202 comes. Hopefully some parts of my bones get to see the incoming.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 11:41 AM   #20
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
What you are describing about your goals. It is exactly what AP as a company doesn't want as a customer. So it's literally gonna take a miracle.

Based on the recent post here they don’t like customers that buy all of the other stuff as well :)

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 01:01 PM   #21
noobs
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your 6
1 (or 2?) members got a jumbo as their first item. Chances are low, but doesn't hurt to try.
noobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 02:41 PM   #22
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Based on the recent post here they don’t like customers that buy all of the other stuff as well :)

lmaf .that's so true
Old 10 March 2024, 03:01 PM   #23
7sins
"TRF" Member

While rare, I have seen it before, almost entirely predicated by that customer was a family member of a VVVIP and AP wanted to take care of them. Short of that, there is 0% chance you will be granted a jumbo with no purchase history. Zero.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 05:14 PM   #24
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
Thanks for chipping in. I used to have 'goals' for my collection and have spent a lot of money on watches over the years, just not AP watches. I try something on and if I don't LOVE it, I would not spend hard-earned money on it, so my goals evolve based on how things feel and look on the wrist. I happen to love thin case watches as they fit my wrist better, which is not large, so I found 41mm Royal Oaks are not for me, and the ROO's are definitely not for me. I don't think it is so 'hard to believe frankly' that the 16202 felt just right on my wrist when I tried one on.

As many kindly point out, my requirements as a customer are secondary to AP's requirements of a customer. The ball is in their court and they don't have to sell me anything.
Old 10 March 2024, 05:29 PM   #25
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for chipping in. I used to have 'goals' for my collection and have spent a lot of money on watches over the years, just not AP watches. I try something on and if I don't LOVE it, I would not spend hard-earned money on it, so my goals evolve based on how things feel and look on the wrist. I happen to love thin case watches as they fit my wrist better, which is not large, so I found 41mm Royal Oaks are not for me, and the ROO's are definitely not for me. I don't think it is so 'hard to believe frankly' that the 16202 felt just right on my wrist when I tried one on.

As many kindly point out, my requirements as a customer are secondary to AP's requirements of a customer. The ball is in their court and they don't have to sell me anything.

Understandable - here is your solution

https://nashvillewatch.com/product/a...22-box-papers/

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 08:54 PM   #26
Uros
"TRF" Member

In large cities no way

Bought my Jumbo (15202) in small city AD in 2017 zero purchase history with them. Few months later had also opportunity to buy rose gold one in small city AD in Italy but stupid to pass it, now with boutiques only and AP houses guess much more difficult

Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 11:43 PM   #27
Lemarp
"TRF" Member

I'm looking to buy my 4th AP and hopefully a Jumbo or Skeleton but even then I feel like I have no chance.

Would be awesome to add it for my 40th bday. All I can do is shoot my shot.
Lemarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 12:24 AM   #28
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Super rare.

Put simply it's like getting a SS Daytona as your first watch from a dealer. Not a GMT, not a Green Sub (those are more like getting a 15510), but to get a 16202 these are going nearly exclusively to existing collectors.

Suggest if you are truly interested only in this piece and don't have the time or connections, just buy grey market.

There have been a few super rare instances where the individual has been appropriately but positively obsessive and persistent of their interest in a Jumbo, and in those cases, you essentially have to be "the customer" the boutique manager really wants to have as an AP customer...not just for one piece but for pieces after their first purchase. Like someone who understands the history of the watch, the history of AP, goes to events and the boutique consistently, over some period of time. A lot of effort...

Alternatively, one other fast track I've seen is when the AP boutique is a joint venture, and if you are a VVIP from the partner company, you can find a way to get a fantastic first piece from the AP boutique. The one caveat here is it would only be the pieces that are "boutique manager approval" only, and don't require HQ approval.

Another fast track - is to know and get advocacy from an AP Ambassador. TS pieces I know got in hands of some first timers - so it's definitely a way to get in quickly...

Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 04:05 AM   #29
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfang56 View Post
There have been a few super rare instances where the individual has been appropriately but positively obsessive and persistent of their interest in a Jumbo, and in those cases, you essentially have to be "the customer" the boutique manager really wants to have as an AP customer...not just for one piece but for pieces after their first purchase. Like someone who understands the history of the watch, the history of AP, goes to events and the boutique consistently, over some period of time. A lot of effort...

Alternatively, one other fast track I've seen is when the AP boutique is a joint venture, and if you are a VVIP from the partner company, you can find a way to get a fantastic first piece from the AP boutique. The one caveat here is it would only be the pieces that are "boutique manager approval" only, and don't require HQ approval.

Another fast track - is to know and get advocacy from an AP Ambassador. TS pieces I know got in hands of some first timers - so it's definitely a way to get in quickly...
There is going to be a particular reason why a boutique manager would decide to hand a Jumbo to a new client, instead of one of dozens of established clients or one of hundreds of would-be buyers that requested one - it's not a lottery.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 07:00 AM   #30
Jon B
"TRF" Member

My first AP was a 15202ST which I bought in 2018 from AP London. I had to wait about a year, but I had no previous purchase history. I know this is clearly pre-hype, but there’s always a chance!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote