The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 June 2019, 01:20 PM   #1
maanba
"TRF" Member

First Panerai

Exhausting but super interesting learning about the brand and figuring out all the options. I think i have boiled down to two choices. Thoughts or recommendations for first Panerai? 1312 or 795 are current top 2 (and their brown / Ti equivalents). Tried on the 795 / 797 in store and started to really like the look but then started seeing and reading about the 1312 and I also really like the cleaner look with just the date. Plus it seems slightly more "classic" PAM based on knowing nothing. They have different cases so curious which is more comfortable and easy to wear and which one just looks cooler in everyday use. I am way too small to pull off a 47 but i think i could dig deep and handle a 44. Thanks!
maanba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 07:00 PM   #2
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
I went through the same process as you and had my heart set on the 1312, however it didn’t sit comfortably on my wrist. It rubbed on my wrist bone. I also looked at the 1359 (too small), the 312 (really nice, however I decided I wanted a new watch) and various others. I then came across the newly released 797 which I fell in love with and purchased two weeks ago. I was drawn to the fact that it’s a titanium case and the first watch fashioned from this material in my collection. I am wearing it on the rubber strap which is surprisingly super comfortable.
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 08:21 PM   #3
erik asher
"TRF" Member

I love the PAM 1351, which is the same as 1312 but a much lighter TI case and a beautiful tobacco brown dial with gold hands...the brown, gold and blue second hand just works so well together, especially on the assoulamente strap, brown rubber or any brown after market strap...it’s a real winner!

The 795 is nice—it will sit a bit higher on the wrist and is a bit heavier—the 797 will be lighter like the 1351 but will also sit a bit higher in the wrist as it’s a better one case v the 1950 Luminor case...

You can’t go wrong with any of these choices! Good luck with your decision!

Where in CT are you?
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 09:13 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Go try on as many Panerai's as you can find. Over 400 different models and counting. When you find the one you like, go find it pre-owned from one of our Trusted Sellers or have the TS seller source it new at a significant discount. Except for a few LE models and some historic pieces, Panerai values are in the tank. You will get crushed on a later trade or sell so do yourself a favor and do your research. I would look at a base model 000 or 104 as a starter watch and some good examples are out the for sub 4k. Buy a couple of straps and enjoy. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 11:18 PM   #5
nick c
Banned

IMG_0022.jpg
As William said, go try as many as possible to see which one will fit best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 12:39 AM   #6
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Those are both good initial choices. I think most will guide you towards the 1312 as the 795 is newer and some do not like the power reserve indicator. I think they are both great looking. I think if I were forced to choose I would go with the 1312. The design is a little more "tried and true," the 1950 case is considered "higher end," and it's less faux vintage than the 795. I think either is fantastic and a good decision at 44mm. I just think you'll end up finding that more aficionados will guide you towards the 1312 and you'll likely discover in time it is a preferred model in the 1950 line.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 01:27 AM   #7
maanba
"TRF" Member

Thanks

so much for the responses! I appreciate the advice and your time, i really do. A little more info about my journey to give you sense of why i have these 2 as choices (for now). I have been to a few shops now to try these on...don't know where i would go to try on all 400 options..if only i had the time! What got me interested in the brand was an unplanned stop at a boutique (needed a break from wife's shopping) where i saw a 311 and fell in love (had no idea that watch wasn't being made anymore). The more i tried that watch on however the more the multiple complications kind of wore off for me but at that point i was hooked on the brand. I really loved the brown dial as an interesting addition to my collection because i have 2 steel bracelet (omega and Rolex) and one formal black leather band watch (IWC) so i liked the fact that this was different. I also loved the sandwich dial. Finally, i really preferred the luminor look to the radiomir. So the brown dial initially pulled my attention, but as i see more the black dial with the beige numbering is very close because they pair so beautifully with brown leather straps (I am learning about how straps are kind of a thing here...I love the panerai brown suede straps!) that it is still a cool difference. In fact i think i have a slight preference now for black / brown instead of brown / brown but it is very close. Same with Steel / Titanium. The advice on here on comfort and size is invaluable to me since i will turn this immediately into my daily watch (sorry omega). So to give more background on how i got here...i love the sandwich dial, i love either brown or black dial but i really like the beige numbering, and i don't think i could do more than 44. I really prefer new (personality flaw) but i am open to pre-owned. those are my basic parameters. frankly the 372 and 422 are really perfect but i just can not pull off that big of a watch. I have tried them on several times hoping but nope. nothing quite that clean and pure on a new 44.
Old 8 June 2019, 05:39 AM   #8
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Those are both good initial choices. I think most will guide you towards the 1312 as the 795 is newer and some do not like the power reserve indicator. I think they are both great looking. I think if I were forced to choose I would go with the 1312. The design is a little more "tried and true," the 1950 case is considered "higher end," and it's less faux vintage than the 795. I think either is fantastic and a good decision at 44mm. I just think you'll end up finding that more aficionados will guide you towards the 1312 and you'll likely discover in time it is a preferred model in the 1950 line.
Interestingly, I don’t think the 1312 is overly practical , when you can get a 723 for a few hundred more (which is the 1312 on a bracelet that can be converted to straps).

So if you have your heart set on a 1312, look at the 723 before pulling the trigger!
Old 8 June 2019, 06:05 AM   #9
maanba
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice erik...i don't need a bracelet for this watch are the any other differences between the 1312 and 723?
Old 8 June 2019, 11:20 AM   #10
synequano
Banned

Clean,pure with patina on 44mm case...probably 390 or 590

Personally I find bettarini case to fit better on my wrist in comparison to the 44mm 1950 (47mm 1950 fits better for me)
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 12:01 PM   #11
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maanba View Post
Thanks for the advice erik...i don't need a bracelet for this watch are the any other differences between the 1312 and 723?
The 723 and 1312 are exactly the same. The only difference is that the 723 comes with a bracelet (it takes two minutes to change from SS bracelet to straps).

When you sell your Rolex and Omega (lol) to but more PAMs, you will be happy to have the bracelet for occasional wear. If you do decide you don’t want the bracelet, I would still go 1351 over 1312. The gold hands make the 1351 very special.

Where in CT are you?
Old 9 June 2019, 12:35 AM   #12
maanba
"TRF" Member

thanks all. I will go and try again the 1312, 1351 and 795 and let you know what i think. synequano thanks for the advice...the 390 is nice but right or wrong i really like the sandwich dial. the 590 looks very cool and it was on my early list but i figured as long as i was having something on the dial at the 3 i might as well get a date. I will definitely try on the 590 as well since i haven't seen in person. erik thanks fairfield.
Old 13 June 2019, 01:39 AM   #13
maanba
"TRF" Member

Wrapped up my process today! went in to AD to look at all of the above and really try to decide between 1312 and 1351 and ended up walking out with a 1320. This wasn't on my list but i loved the look and i don't have anything with GMT currently so figured i would go for it. I love it! these are really beautiful watches in person. obviously day 1 so i am radically biased. Thanks for your advice!
Old 13 June 2019, 04:25 AM   #14
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wrapped up my process today! went in to AD to look at all of the above and really try to decide between 1312 and 1351 and ended up walking out with a 1320. This wasn't on my list but i loved the look and i don't have anything with GMT currently so figured i would go for it. I love it! these are really beautiful watches in person. obviously day 1 so i am radically biased. Thanks for your advice!
That’s awesome! The 1320 is a great choice! Enjoy!
Old 13 June 2019, 10:49 AM   #15
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Wrapped up my process today! went in to AD ... and ended up walking out with a 1320...
Congrats!!!

Enjoy your new beauty
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 01:02 PM   #16
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:

You will love the 1320. Congratulations! I love mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190413_1525151-768x1152.jpg (211.7 KB, 214 views)
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:11 PM   #17
lexflana
Banned

Nice! Beautiful watch!
lexflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 02:00 AM   #18
maanba
"TRF" Member

Thanks!!!
Old 27 June 2019, 10:39 PM   #19