The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 June 2019, 08:40 PM   #1
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Panerai Lumnor Due 904

Just discovered this one, was surprised on how well it fit my wrist. Love the anthractite dial and the strap. Trying to find out more but info seems sparse.

Any owners want to chime in with their thoughts?

Thanks.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 11:21 PM   #2
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Might sound harsh, but that aint no Panerai. At least not in my book. ;)

Crown guard together with a 30m water resistance. Plus the back = no screw down.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 25 June 2019, 11:25 PM   #3
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post

Crown guard together with a 30m water resistance. Plus the back = no screw down.

Cheers,
Joe
it will only be 3m water resistance without the crown guard.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2019, 11:34 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post

Cheers,
Joe
Fair point and I have been reading this a lot.

On this strap it is not going in the water, not buying it to take in the water at all. The 72 hour power reserve is nice on the in house calibre and it was very comfortable and legible.

Prior to this I have never even given Panerai a passing glance, perhaps this is a good direction for them in a few models?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F6C0639F-C5B3-439D-A536-EAA4A9372DD0-2-2-2.jpg (249.6 KB, 275 views)
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 25 June 2019, 11:46 PM   #5
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Nice watch, I tried it on recently and really liked it on the wrist
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 12:47 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
Nice watch, I tried it on recently and really liked it on the wrist
That was how I felt, maybe not like other Panerai but I cannot wear the other models
Old 26 June 2019, 01:12 AM   #7
dmb359
2024 Pledge Member

I have one and it's great.

I've had 44 Luminor's too in the past, and also like them. They are a little more sporty and bulky than the 904.

The size and dial are great, and I love how thin it is.

I couldn't care less about water resistance, it's a great watch. I love luminor cases and sandwich dials.
Old 26 June 2019, 01:49 AM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Nice dial. If you are okay with the Due line, then, why not?

It really depends on what you want it for. Would this one be great on a beat up ammo strap or rubber diver strap? Probably not.... But, that’s what a second Panerai is for. ;-)
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 02:27 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like the Due line in general Brian. I know they are largely unloved here due to their snap casebacks but as you stated, if it’s not going in the water anyways ...

I like how they feel on the wrist as well, and they really do have great dials.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 04:18 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I like the Due line in general Brian. I know they are largely unloved here due to their snap casebacks but as you stated, if it’s not going in the water anyways ...

I like how they feel on the wrist as well, and they really do have great dials.
Thanks, not feeling the love for this piece, I think it is very wearable and great looking.
Old 26 June 2019, 06:58 AM   #11
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Thanks, not feeling the love for this piece, I think it is very wearable and great looking.
It's a good looking watch, but that's because it looks like a Panerai.

I don't think the history books will be kind to the Due line.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 08:51 AM   #12
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Not a Due fan as card carrying Paneristi. It’s the Porsche 914 VW line of Panerai. The Due line was a major black eye to the brand and totally unnecessary as there were Base models that fit the entry level slot. The cam lock crown guard with a snap back case is like putting a helium relief valve on a dress watch. The Due is good looking because it looks like a Panerai dive watch from a distance and here lies the rub.
The level of contempt from the Paneristis for the Due is enough to seal its future fate.
There are better genuine Panerai pre loved watches out there.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 09:32 AM   #13
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

I think it's a good looking watch and the Due line doesn't bother me at all. I've been into the brand and owned many Panerai's over the last 20 years.
itsjknight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 10:09 AM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Not a Due fan as card carrying Paneristi. It’s the Porsche 914 VW line of Panerai. The Due line was a major black eye to the brand and totally unnecessary as there were Base models that fit the entry level slot. The cam lock crown guard with a snap back case is like putting a helium relief valve on a dress watch. The Due is good looking because it looks like a Panerai dive watch from a distance and here lies the rub.
The level of contempt from the Paneristis for the Due is enough to seal its future fate.
There are better genuine Panerai pre loved watches out there.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjknight View Post
I think it's a good looking watch and the Due line doesn't bother me at all. I've been into the brand and owned many Panerai's over the last 20 years.
I like the look as well
Old 26 June 2019, 10:29 AM   #15
multimedia
"TRF" Member

To add to my comment above. Even if I personally have a hard time liking this piece, I still do think it's a smart move from Panerai. Obviously far from all their custumers are into the brand like many of us are on this forum, Paneristi. etc. Watches like this one gives them the opportunity to introduce the brand to a completely different custumer, who are maybe not familiar with Panerai and its history = don't get all wind up when it comes to "the problems" mentioned above. (One example, among many; remember all the fuss when Rolex released the current 126600 SeaDweller... Doesn't seem to be that much of a problem anymore. Sure, it's not exactly the same, but still there were some pretty strong word said.) What I mean with this, is that the "nerds/hardcore community" often get all wind up about things that the average customer never would have paid any attention to.

It will be interesting to see where Panerai goes from here. It's probably at an all time low, at least among its loyal fanbase. Still, I'm (want to be) hopeful.

As always, if the piece sings to you, go for it.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 27 June 2019, 12:36 AM   #16
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

The Due line is polarizing. Panerai itself is polarizing. Hardcore Panerai fans tend to like 44mm+ Luminor models with classic design cues. This Due has few of those.

Conversely, Panerai really hasn't really been a dive watch brand in some time. Most of their models come on leather straps (with rubber becoming an increasingly reserved spare strap) that don't work in water. There really isn't much practicality for most Panerai other than Submersibles as any sort of dive instrument. I love Panerai for their design.

If you are pursuing a Due model you are doing so for aesthetic reasons; this is why most people chose almost any watch brand anyway. I think the Due line is actually a smart way for Panerai to offer scaled down, less traditional designs to the public. I'd like to see them leave most of the other Luminor and Radiomir lines alone and scale back the offerings.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 04:40 AM   #17
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

The due line looks fine to me in the pics... but when I tried them on, they felt too light and slim.
Not what I look for in Panerai, and I would not pay the $$$ for em. Ymmv
Old 27 June 2019, 06:14 AM   #18
synequano
Banned

I have 10+ panerais and was somewhat interested when they announced the due

However when I tried the due,I was surprised in a bad way...I’ve handled and tried numerous smaller,thinner radiomirs (my mom has 62,184,338) but the due felt too thin and somewhat cheap...but it seems the general public like the due as the pre owned price are somewhat stable (I saw 728,729)

On the “regular” pam line,I feel the same thing about carbotech...the case felt plasticky light...I was about to buy an almost new 661 (the first owner sold the watch only after 2 weeks of buying it) but I simply didn’t like how it felt on my wrist...
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 06:27 AM   #19
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Great comments here.
My take on the Due line is simple. It’s not for the ‘Ristis’ but it certainly has opened the door to a whole new customer base and therefore what is the problem.
Rolex has a Sports line, a dress/sports hybrid (I’m thinking 41mm Datejust on Oyster) and then the Cellini range. Cellini not for me, but it doesn’t mean I hate the brand.
Old 27 June 2019, 07:50 AM   #20
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Great comments here.
My take on the Due line is simple. It’s not for the ‘Ristis’ but it certainly has opened the door to a whole new customer base and therefore what is the problem.
Rolex has a Sports line, a dress/sports hybrid (I’m thinking 41mm Datejust on Oyster) and then the Cellini range. Cellini not for me, but it doesn’t mean I hate the brand.
I agree. I don't like how Panerai has cluttered up their more traditional case lines. I've argued over and over than Panerai needs to simplify the Radiomir and Luminor offerings. They need to stop making "special editions" only to release something eerily similar a year later.

The Duo line should be the line where the tinkering can take place. Where the brand can appeal to the consumer who isn't looking for a hyper-masculine 44-47mm piece.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 09:19 AM   #21
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post

If you are pursuing a Due model you are doing so for aesthetic reasons; this is why most people chose almost any watch brand anyway. I think the Due line is actually a smart way for Panerai to offer scaled down, less traditional designs to the public. I'd like to see them leave most of the other Luminor and Radiomir lines alone and scale back the offerings.
I agree on the fact that most watches are bought for aesthetic reasons, but a dive watch should still do what it says on the tin. 30m water resistance is pathetic. Many dress watches can do better, but on a dive watch? And still with the crown protector?

If Ferrari released one of their V12 offerings with a 1.3l four banger because "no one really drives that fast anyway" you'd laugh. Just as you should laugh at a dive watch that'll you'd be well advised to take off before doing the washing up.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 08:43 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Great thoughts, thanks all.

I still like the watch, not sure if I am buying anything this year but this one will remain on my list either way
Old 8 July 2019, 10:42 AM   #23
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I think the due have their place. I look at it as a “dress watch” for Panerai. Personally, I wear my 47 and 44 regular Panerai with a shirt cuff, but this makes it even easier while still holding onto the look. I like the 42mm blue dial. Great watch for business casual
Old 8 July 2019, 11:26 AM   #24
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
The DUE means 2 in Italian. With this range Panerai did a number 2 on its brand and credibility. Since the launch of this DUE line, has anyone else noticed that Panerai prices have crashed and purists have abandoned the brand? Paneristi, once busier than TRF, is like a ghost town. Used prices have also taken a massive hit. Big shame, richmont...

OP pls don’t buy that watch. If you buy a Panerai, buy a used variant from a true historical line.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 11:33 AM   #25
zd550
"TRF" Member

The Due line doesn't bother me in anyway, I think the watch looks even better when seen in person.
zd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2019, 12:15 PM   #26
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
love the due line, it's bringing in many new customers who can't/won't wear the traditional larger/thicker pieces. if i didn't already have a nice 'dress watch' i'd buy one in a heartbeat.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote