The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 September 2018, 06:33 AM   #61
gr4ndp4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Red
I'm looking for a beater and had narrowed it down to a Carrera Calibre 5, a Link Calibre 5, a Tudor North Flag or Classic. After reading this thread I'll take a step back and think again.
gr4ndp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:37 PM   #62
BumperX
"TRF" Member

My watch habit started 20 years ago and went like: Casio/digital/Timex > Seiko (first nice watch)> Tissot > Oris > Rolex >Rolex > AP > Grand Seiko > $500 G-Shock > Tag which I just got. I must be digressing, because my buy path is going down...ahh Bleeeeh. I try to buy all my watches at a price that I think is at or near a steal of a deal.

Wanted to revive this thread because I think Tag should get more love because like it was mentioned earlier Heuer & Tag Heuer have a lot of racing history. Plus I just got my pre loved Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 6 (whatever that means) today and can't keep my eyes off it. The dial looks white in some light and champagne in others, the high polish of the hands and markers attract my eyes, and the sweeping seconds wheel at the 6 O'clock is very unique and mesmerizing to me. Purchased at about 66% of retail. Full set.

BumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #63
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesclub View Post

I stopped by my local Tag AD (also Omega, Hamilton, Oris) and found a couple nice pieces that came with a discount.
Largely because they discount so heavily. Then the prices fall even further if you want to sell later on. It did not help when TAG liquidated thousands of watches at Costco for $399

Their image needs a lot of work and they need to stop the massive discounting to move product, they are just another department store watch.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 09:20 PM   #64
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Not a fan, I’d buy a Seiko or Tudor, for me I like the history behind a brand and tag just doesn’t do it for me.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 05:58 AM   #65
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Largely because they discount so heavily. Then the prices fall even further if you want to sell later on. It did not help when TAG liquidated thousands of watches at Costco for $399

Their image needs a lot of work and they need to stop the massive discounting to move product, they are just another department store watch.
Department store watch - i think this is exactly it.
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 02:00 PM   #66
Micro Wrist
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!
Micro Wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 07:18 AM   #67
MohiMedia
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26405CE
As everyone in this forum knows, brands utilize successful design concepts from other brands.
At entry level you have invictas made to look exactly like submariners and what not.
On the high end, you can see watches that were influenced by each other, but were made into their own thing for that specific brand.

Unfortunately, I feel like Tag doesn't do enough to their designs that are similar to others in order to make them standout. Just my opinion.

That all aside, I love the Tag Heuer Carrera line, especially the Calibre 5 and think Tag should do more with it.
MohiMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 03:57 PM   #68
BumperX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
It did not help when TAG liquidated thousands of watches at Costco for $399

Yea, makes sense, once a watch hits Costco it does lose merit. But if a watch gets "Costco'd," then why is Omega still revered ? I was there last week and saw several for sale albeit, not for $399 (I assume the Tag's that sold for that were quartz movements).

I am fully aware of Tag's lack of "cool" factor but saw this Cal 6 stacked with some online promotions and couldn't resist it. Have no regrets because I love this watch. 41mm is my sweet spot and this does not hurt my wrist after several hours like my Explorer II (which has been sitting in the box since I got this Tag).
BumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 04:18 PM   #69
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

I have a CAF2110 chrono. I loved the look of this aquaracer from the word go. Again always watches formula 1 and was introduced to the brand through watching. It has been in my possession since new, never missed a beat and will be mine forever. I have other watches and it is special to me as it holds sentimental value but that aside it has been a sturdy work horse.
Timekeep111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 09:57 AM   #70
Marchy
"TRF" Member

I've had several Tags and I really like a lot of their models (visually). My current beater is an aquaracer. As much as I like the look, the quality leaves a lot to be desired, I feel its less value than its price. The power reserve is 1 day (if manually wound), and if you don't wear it long enough, it will stop. The crown feels flimsy. It does not keep very good time. I know maybe I need to get it serviced, but it has been this way since I bought it a few years back.
Marchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 10:00 AM   #71
DHPSU
"TRF" Member

I have a fondness for Tag. This is my first watch, 25 years old and going strong, never serviced. I would buy another. I think they are well priced for what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DHPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 01:45 PM   #72
snyde
"TRF" Member

The Tag hate is irrational and only in the WIS community. I wear my Aquaracer as much as my 114300 and Blackbay. I also have a Carerra 5 black dial and it’s a beauty.
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 06:26 PM   #73
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Pics or we won’t believe you
Timekeep111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 06:58 PM   #74
Marchy
"TRF" Member

Well in fairness to Tag, I am literally abusing my aquaracer and it is still holding up. I work in harsh environments. My most abused watch was the SMP which gave up on me after many years of service. This is my 2nd most abused. I guess it has paid me back on its cost years ago.
Marchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 07:45 AM   #75
Tom5518
Banned

Watch: Air King

I must like TAG as I think I have 8-9 of them, the Autavia being the most recent as I got it a couple of days ago. I can’t argue with many of the negatives listed here, but a watch doesn’t have to fit some image for it to sing to me.

I was watching the Steve McQueen movie Le Mans the other night and caught a glimpse of the Autavia on a driver’s wrist and had to have it. So I did.
Tom5518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 08:34 AM   #76
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperX View Post
Yea, makes sense, once a watch hits Costco it does lose merit. But if a watch gets "Costco'd," then why is Omega still revered ? I was there last week and saw several for sale albeit, not for $399 (I assume the Tag's that sold for that were quartz movements).
Some Costco's sell Rolex also.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 02:46 AM   #77
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I think it was the late 90s, early 2000s advertising that put off some.
Old 25 July 2019, 02:49 AM   #78
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Some Costco's sell Rolex also.

Not in the quantity that Tag dumped products on the market
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 25 July 2019, 02:50 AM   #79
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperX View Post

I am fully aware of Tag's lack of "cool" factor but saw this Cal 6 stacked with some online promotions and couldn't resist it. Have no regrets because I love this watch. 41mm is my sweet spot and this does not hurt my wrist after several hours like my Explorer II (which has been sitting in the box since I got this Tag).
Because they sold a variant of the formula one with a red dial for $399 by the case load, take the card to register style, just like Casio or Swiss Army. I saw hundreds of cards at my Costco alone.

One piece here or there is not an issue
Old 25 July 2019, 03:26 AM   #80
John S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesclub View Post
Why the lack of interest in Tag? I’m in the market for a nice Automatic sports watch, but with the current bubble pricing on Rolex, I’m starting to look at other brands. Omega pre-owned are also starting to creep up there in price.

I stopped by my local Tag AD (also Omega, Hamilton, Oris) and found a couple nice pieces that came with a discount.

Why no love from the watch fanatics?
See expert opinions:
Attached Images
File Type: png TAG1.PNG (66.4 KB, 194 views)
File Type: png TAG2.PNG (54.2 KB, 200 views)
Old 7 June 2020, 12:11 PM   #81
Dayton ssb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona ss b
Love this watch.

Certain Models are hot. Others look generic. Buy what you like and what makes you happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5079.jpg (63.4 KB, 171 views)
Dayton ssb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 03:01 PM   #82
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I bought an Aquaracer 10 years ago when this model first came out. I remember walking in and the dealer had one left as they'd been selling really well. I scored an incredible discount (I paid little over $1k at the time).

I was younger and less well off then and the only reason I bought it was because it looked like a Submariner. I promised myself i'd save up for the real deal one day.

In the 10 years I've never had it serviced and its been everywhere with me. It has also been used as a functioning dive watch - which I dare say most subs never have been. It's honestly never missed a beat. Still keeps good time but the power reserve is shot so it definitely needs a service.

So, I can attest that they're workhorses. Although I wouldn't buy another Tag as their appeal as a brand doesn't do anything for me. I'm more into Omega these days.

Not my photo - but identical....

Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 06:58 PM   #83
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
Near where I live there is a TAG boutique at a discount place, sells most for upto 50 off RRP.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 08:28 AM   #84
Pouring2010
"TRF" Member

Must admit to a sneaky love for the current Autavia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pouring2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2020, 05:12 AM   #85
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Have been looking for a bronze piece and don’t want to go the Tudor route as I already own a BB so started looking at several bronze case options including a few micro brands and came across the new Autavia and just love the looks of the brown and green on leather but honestly I like the green a tad more.

Tried both on a the local AD, I don’t own any Tags so can’t say anything bad but apparently the new release of the Autavia gets high marks for the new movement
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5337196C-08F2-44A2-8A9C-9062B368EAD5.jpeg (136.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpeg 084D7CD2-F6A2-4B41-8F9F-522EA31B3D1B.jpeg (157.6 KB, 83 views)
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 06:10 AM   #86
Enyaw1
Banned

Owned an F1 mid size 1210 for 15 years which was my go to daily wearer work watch. It used to get the wrong attention from the wrong people.
TH spend more on advertising and promotion than development, they had a few quality issues like the time I was in Key West and the plastic or composite detail on the side of the case and around the winder melted in the sun��

Last edited by Enyaw1; 26 July 2020 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Typo
Enyaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 08:18 AM   #87
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

The logo looks horrible IMO. Very 1970s/80s.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 09:36 PM   #88
Enyaw1
Banned

In my opinion I think the logo is one of the plus points. Everyone, even non watch freaks recognises the logo.
Enyaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 11:13 PM   #89
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
From my experience with an Aquaracer they’re way too heavy and the screw down crown is very poorly designed. It’s only a matter of time before it fails and you need to send it for service.
The calibre used in that watch is noisy as hell (probably a 7750), and isn’t very accurate.
For me, buying a Tag was my biggest mistake in my watch journey so far.

Old 27 July 2020, 01:08 AM   #90
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Am interested. I have the Monaco. And am eyeing the carrera telemeter next.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote