The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 4 April 2020, 11:39 PM   #5101
statsman
"TRF" Member

In Texas,, Gov. Abbot has not directed a state wide closure, leaving it to counties to decide. I believe he is correct to do so. Texas is the second most populous state, with the 12th most cases (was 11th, but Georgia passed us and Connecticut is challenging) and 15th most deaths. There are 100 counties with no cases.

The social distancing strategy has an element of magical thinking to it. We all know the idea is to flatten the curve, but at the cost of extending it, because the area under the curve doesn’t change unless a vaccine is developed. For us, “hope” is a strategy.

Plans must be made for that hope to not come to fruition. There is a human cost to this shutdown. I have a co-worker with a young son at the top of the kidney transplant list (his failed due to type 1 diabetes). Transplants are curtailed until this passes. Donor organs have a short shelf life, and there is no telling how many have been discarded the past few weeks. When does this young man’s life start to count?
Old 4 April 2020, 11:39 PM   #5102
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Maybe. But to say with certainly is simply wishful thinking.

No matter how you slice this, things will be very different going forward.

You guys can all name the various things we’ve gotten through before. But those same people have mentioned in this thread that this is unprecedented.

Yes, I too am confident that we will eventually overcome. Things will normalize and our species will continue. But the new normal will be very different.

How that is defined remains to be seen.

Im not being negative. I’m being pragmatic.

We currently have no end in sight. That’s a fact. So we can’t state that things will get back to normal. Until an actual end is defined, it is just impossible to say what will be.

Edit to add I agree we need to stay the course. I’m not disputing that. But in this ever evolving situation we also need to be dynamic and open minded. A new way will emerge and we need to be ready to make the best future we can.
I agree that life may be different after this pandemic. But it’s not a guarantee that the changes will be negative. The Great Plague of the 14th century brought down the feudal system in Europe. The French Revolution resulted in more individual freedoms, women’s rights and political justice.

No one who knows me would call me Suzy Sunshine, but I think there is a possibility that this pandemic could result in positive changes in societies in addition to the obvious negatives we see now.
Old 4 April 2020, 11:40 PM   #5103
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I agree with everything you say, as per usual.

And I appreciate your attitude and perspective, as per usual.

This would be a better discussion over a meal.
Me as well Seth.

I have a customer in your neck of the woods (Trenton) so whenever I get out that way, would love to buy you a steak and swap some stories
Old 4 April 2020, 11:41 PM   #5104
FWK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Does anyone wake up in the morning and struggle to believe this is all happening?

My mental health is starting to suffer pretty badly, I just can’t take all this in at times. It’s so surreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. Every morning feels weird.

Especially since you can’t actually see, touch and feel the crises expect through the media. It’s surreal.

One thing that’s bothering me big time is the lack of focus on kids during this crisis. I’ve tried to organise some attention and help but still feel it’s a drop in the ocean. Everyone is focusing on economy or the elders.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-vulne...cp+share-sheet
Old 4 April 2020, 11:47 PM   #5105
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
... I have a co-worker with a young son at the top of the kidney transplant list (his failed due to type 1 diabetes). Transplants are curtailed until this passes. Donor organs have a short shelf life, and there is no telling how many have been discarded the past few weeks. When does this young man’s life start to count?
I agree with this part of your post, and I’m very saddened to hear this. Every life matters and I hope somehow he and others will continue to receive lifesaving surgeries. Here, only elective surgeries have been postponed but lifesaving ones such as this continue as far as I know ...

I don’t understand US Politics and how/why each state is left up to its own to decide how to handle this pandemic as it knows no borders. We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Hope you and yours stay safe.
Old 4 April 2020, 11:48 PM   #5106
Kainz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The 6 month staycation on mortgages is a creative idea and I’ve heard as of yesterday that over 500,000 applications have been received. I’m curious what sort of proof if any, the applicants must show to qualify.

FWIW most of our bank branches are closed here in Waterloo Ontario.

Stay safe
As someone said, you can do it online, call the customer service(it's a long wait) or call his advisor, tbh, I asked why they want to skip their payments, usually it's due to a job loss and I quickly check their mortgage to see if they have any late payments. that's pretty much it. The thing that many do not know, the interest doesn't stop and you still have to pay the insurance and taxes on your mortgage.

Envoyé de mon VOG-L04 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 4 April 2020, 11:49 PM   #5107
Kainz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I just said that to my wife. Exact same words.
For sure! Even tho I am working today, I'm grateful to be here. Take care

(Sorry for double post)

Old 5 April 2020, 12:05 AM   #5108
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainz View Post
As someone said, you can do it online, call the customer service(it's a long wait) or call his advisor, tbh, I asked why they want to skip their payments, usually it's due to a job loss and I quickly check their mortgage to see if they have any late payments. that's pretty much it. The thing that many do not know, the interest doesn't stop and you still have to pay the insurance and taxes on your mortgage.

Sounds like a simple process and a creative approach to helping clients during this tough time.
Old 5 April 2020, 12:23 AM   #5109
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I agree with this part of your post, and I’m very saddened to hear this. Every life matters and I hope somehow he and others will continue to receive lifesaving surgeries. Here, only elective surgeries have been postponed but lifesaving ones such as this continue as far as I know ...

I don’t understand US Politics and how/why each state is left up to its own to decide how to handle this pandemic as it knows no borders. We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Hope you and yours stay safe.
Thanks. I think it’s good to leave it to the states. Every state’s situation is different, and Texas has different situations all over. Dallas, for example, is pretty well shut down. Van Horn doesn’t need to be.

I was thinking about my friend’s son more. As I understand it, after a transplant you get immunity suppressing drugs, to help your body accept it. Perhaps we just can’t do that kind of treatment with COVID-19 all around. Or perhaps we need to develop a plan to get stronger transplant patients infected and immune first.
Old 5 April 2020, 12:35 AM   #5110
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
This kind of proves my point - it’s never their fault, everyone else has a duty to give them anything they want and to make them happy.

If they screw up, then blame the older generation

Victim culture
It seems that it's not only an Italian thing, then. 100% agree.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2020, 12:47 AM   #5111
Star Ferry
Banned

A few nice things I things I saw here in Chicago.

-- CVS giving out free masks to police officers and first reaponders.

-- Cop using his own money to give coffee/water/donut to a homeless man. The cop said that with the distancing guidelines, homeless are getting less help thrown their way. I tried to give him some cash so he could continue to do so throughout the rest of his patrol -- he said he really appreciates the gesture but (understandably) cannot take cash from the public. Seemed like a kind guy.
Old 5 April 2020, 12:55 AM   #5112
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Thanks. I think it’s good to leave it to the states. Every state’s situation is different, and Texas has different situations all over. Dallas, for example, is pretty well shut down. Van Horn doesn’t need to be.

I was thinking about my friend’s son more. As I understand it, after a transplant you get immunity suppressing drugs, to help your body accept it. Perhaps we just can’t do that kind of treatment with COVID-19 all around. Or perhaps we need to develop a plan to get stronger transplant patients infected and immune first.
There is more to the story than meets the eye as to why states at the moment are in charge of the action taken towards the pandemic. It is very unfortunate because it is very simple to take a collaborative approach between states add transparency and make whole. Politics shouldn’t take a role, but there is a black book for a reason and I believe there is a lot of reasons for why the actions that have been taken have been taken. A Nationwide approach should of been taken a long time ago. As I said this war was lost a long time ago now we must let it run its course with what little misinformation is passed along to us. I know they are educating them selves as they go do to it being a new strain of corona virus but the whole approach thus far has been wrong and wether you believe it or not its hard to believe it wasn’t lax and or intentional. There are a lot of reasons that come to mine why such lack of restraints.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 5 April 2020, 01:04 AM   #5113
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
There is more to the story than meets the eye as to why states at the moment are in charge of the action taken towards the pandemic. It is very unfortunate because it is very simple to take a collaborative approach between states add transparency and make whole. Politics shouldn’t take a role, but there is a black book for a reason and I believe there is a lot of reasons for why the actions that have been taken have been taken. A Nationwide approach should of been taken a long time ago. As I said this war was lost a long time ago now we must let it run its course with what little misinformation is passed along to us. I know they are educating them selves as they go do to it being a new strain of corona virus but the whole approach thus far has been wrong and weather you believe it or not its hard to believe it wasn’t laced and or intentional. There are a lot of reasons that come to mine why such lack of restraints.

This event happened just 6 weeks before the
initial outbreak in Wuhan !
Coincidence? Anyone’s guess at this point I presume...
Just sharing some info I learned of recently.

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/about
Old 5 April 2020, 01:12 AM   #5114
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
This kind of proves my point - it’s never their fault, everyone else has a duty to give them anything they want and to make them happy.

If they screw up, then blame the older generation

Victim culture

Why are we pointing fingers at certain generations? This problem isn’t a generational thing. I’ve seen as many young as older people acting irresponsibly during this pandemic. I don’t think it’s an age thing but a mentality thing.

Old 5 April 2020, 01:21 AM   #5115
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Why are we pointing fingers at certain generations? This problem isn’t a generational thing. I’ve seen as many young as older people acting irresponsibly during this pandemic. I don’t think it’s an age thing but a mentality thing.

Agree to a point. But the spring break pictures are what make people think that the younger generation at the problem.

The crowds were mainly kids. But I take your point, the older generation was in charge of the beaches.

And a ton of older people got on cruises when it was not smart or considerate of others. Many had to be rescued at tax payer expense. And many are still stuck on the boats.

Stay safe.
Old 5 April 2020, 01:26 AM   #5116
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post

I too am starting this think there is a lot more than meets the eye.

I’m hoping at a minimum our “leaders” are entertaining these ideas as well.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 5 April 2020, 01:29 AM   #5117
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Agree to a point. But the spring break pictures are what make people think that the younger generation at the problem.

The crowds were mainly kids. But I take your point, the older generation was in charge of the beaches.

And a ton of older people got on cruises when it was not smart or considerate of others. Many had to be rescued at tax payer expense. And many are still stuck on the boats.

Stay safe.
So many older folks out and about being stupid.

My father went out to McDonald’s to get breakfast. My aunt went to play cards in a room full of seniors while those spring breakers were on the beach.

If I would venture a guess, it’s mostly seniors and juniors acting irresponsibly. With a smattering if everyone else.

Old 5 April 2020, 01:32 AM   #5118
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post

Stay safe.

I’m not even sure what spring break is?! I saw the pictures but it’s a US thing I guess?

I think blaming a certain age group is counter productive and I’m not sure how the topic got there to be honest. Just didn’t want it developing into hostility between young and old. I’m exempt as I’m middle aged

Now I think a particular country needs to look at their dinning habits as this is not the first time this has happened. Last time we dodged a bullet but this time it was a direct hit

Old 5 April 2020, 01:48 AM   #5119
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This also took place in NY. Very interesting.

SM-N960U
Old 5 April 2020, 01:51 AM   #5120
superstarmar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post

SM-N960U
Yes, very interesting I agree .
Old 5 April 2020, 01:54 AM   #5121
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

I wasn't going to mention it, for this isn't always a receptive group. It reads like a damn playbook (or instruction manual.)
Old 5 April 2020, 01:55 AM   #5122
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post

SM-N960U
I don't see a conspiracy here. Zoonotic disease from bats to pigs to people is the plot of the movie Contagion. It's not that far fetched. The simulation would not have involved any use of viruses or other dangerous materials. Bill Gates, a sponsor of the simulation, has been discussing pandemic risk for years, as he did in a 2015 "TED" presentation.
Old 5 April 2020, 02:08 AM   #5123
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

There are just way to many inconsistencies for you not to trot the thought there is more to it than meets the eye. If you really sit back and spend ample time going thru all the data and I mean just about everything you have to wonder why we are where we are today. I mean waiting till cases pop up till there is a voluntary quarantine or self isolation enacted is a questionable response. Self Isolate immediate to mitigate the spread before, No? That’s just one of many. I find the lack of action deeply troubling from a citizen stand-point.

RIP Mikey
Old 5 April 2020, 02:10 AM   #5124
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
There are just way to many inconsistencies for you not to trot the thought there is more to it than meets the eye. If you really sit back and spend ample time going thru all the data and I mean just about everything you have to wonder why we are where we are today. I mean waiting till cases pop up till there is a voluntary quarantine or self isolation enacted is a questionable response. Self Isolate immediate to mitigate the spread before, No? That’s just one of many. I find the lack of action deeply troubling from a citizen stand-point.
Just curious. Do you think perhaps the police and military should round people up and force them to stay home?

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 5 April 2020, 02:15 AM   #5125
superstarmar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I don't see a conspiracy here. Zoonotic disease from bats to pigs to people is the plot of the movie Contagion. It's not that far fetched. The simulation would not have involved any use of viruses or other dangerous materials. Bill Gates, a sponsor of the simulation, has been discussing pandemic risk for years, as he did in a 2015 "TED" presentation.
Glad you mentioned Bill Gates .
2 articles relating the Bill and Melinda Gates
foundation and Johnson and Johnson.
Both took part in event 201 and sponsored by
B and M Gates Foundation.

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/medi...seases-by-2020

https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/ar...ww.newsmax.com
Old 5 April 2020, 02:22 AM   #5126
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think that’s a good way to look at it. And yes, you are very lucky. Me too.

But we all have our own perspective. I want to be on the front lines. I want to do what I can to help. I want to be a part of the solution. Even if it’s just a small cog in the wheel.

So it’s incredibly challenging mentally for me to be sitting in my home watching other people, including some of my own team, take risks. I’ve been out to show support and do certain things for my customers when required and I’m completely wrapped up in mask and gloves and I’m washing and following all protocols.

However, 99% of the time I’m inside. Watching. Instead of doing.

Partially because I don’t want to infect anyone if I’m asymptomatic. Partially because I don’t want to bring home anything to my amazing wife.

The idea of watching her sick, destroys me. The idea of watching her watch me be sick, I can’t quite put the pain that conjure into words.

The worst part about this for me is not being able to help.
YOU ARE A PART OF THE SOLUTION!

Change your mindset. Unless you’re an essential worker, by staying home, you are giving all those people in the frontline breathing room to save more lives.

Thank you for staying home and doing what you can to slow this virus.
Old 5 April 2020, 02:27 AM   #5127
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
YOU ARE A PART OF THE SOLUTION!

Change your mindset. Unless you’re an essential worker, by staying home, you are giving all those people in the frontline breathing room to save more lives.

Thank you for staying home and doing what you can to slow this virus.
My company is construction support of supply chain.

So my teams are out. And they need a leader. I’m not turning a wrench, but I am keeping them on track.

Even so, I’m still barely ever out. My mindset won’t change. I want to help. But even with that fact, I’ll do my part and stay in unless absolutely necessary to keep the operation running.

Old 5 April 2020, 02:28 AM   #5128
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post

I certainly agree - this is no conspiracy.

In fact, the simulation being cited took the basic 2009 Swine Flu real world pandemic into case work. Changed the venue from Asia and/or Mexico to Brazil and made it more virulent than other options to build resilient brainstorming among the participants.

Kudos to Johns Hopkins for their prescience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 5 April 2020, 02:40 AM   #5129
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I certainly agree - this is no conspiracy.

In fact, the simulation being cited took the basic 2009 Swine Flu real world pandemic into case work. Changed the venue from Asia and/or to Brazil and made it more virulent than other options to build resilient brainstorming among the participants.

Kudos to Johns Hopkins for their prescience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree, no conspiracy. This was either zoonotic or accidental discharge from a health lab. There is no evidence of a conspiracy.

In the end, all conspiracy theories are based on a group of people being smart enough to conspire and disciplined enough to keep a secret. My experience is that most people are neither.

Stay Safe.
Old 5 April 2020, 02:40 AM   #5130
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Just curious. Do you think perhaps the police and military should round people up and force them to stay home?
I understand your sarcasm but feel it is unwarranted. I am just baffled at the response as clearly mistakes have been made and continue to be made at a lot of costs, lives being the greatest.

RIP Mikey
Closed Thread