The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 January 2023, 03:40 AM   #181
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
My wife cuts my hair, and often. Don't pay a barber, less spent on hair care products, shorter showers.
Agree. Corded Wahl trimmer for me. The ROI was one haircut. I’ve had it 15 years.
Maleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 04:20 AM   #182
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It’s ok, I think we have a failure to communicate.
First of all, sorry for wrong about your home coutry, it was my fault.

About your questions, no, I'm not against the public funded education or healthcare system. However in my opinion the public funding not necessary equalst to an absolutely free services for everybody. Therefore I'm against to the free of charge systems, because in my experience these systems leds to inequality and expensive services if we want to take a quality based solution.

Quote:
Share your ideas with us about simple every day things you do to save money.
I've already did it, but I will do in a little bit different form for you too

I simply stopped wasting. Also, I don't spend for things, which doesn't make me feel good. I don't care about the advertisements. I stopped the impulsive purchasing. And I figured out that even these minor looking things added a remarkable huge savings for me.

Also, I don't purchase things one by one in a shop, but purchase a lot if it's possible. This way I can better manage the needs for my household. Also, this way I can purchase a lot for less against to purchasing the single items. Upon this, it takes less time too.

This way I can SAVE TIME. And after I figured out this, so I'm saving more and more TIME, which makes me feel better, as I don't have to hurry as much as I had in the past.

However in the same time I also decided to force myself to never let me save on the small items which makes me smiling or which makes me feel better. If it could be a question to purchase these or a luxury item, then without any doubt I will choose the hundreds of small things, instead to start to save money again for example for another watch.

I like to live my life, and I don't want to wait for the so called "big things".

I found, that anything you purchase will makes you happy only as long, as there will be no other goals in your life. And that time you start again the saving + waiting circles. I had enough from this, so I also dropped out the waiting for the "big things" from my life. I decided to live a lifestyle I could easily manage and which makes me fully satisfied. And it's a far easier thing to achieve then the majority of the people thinks to:

Don't waste your time and money, but never ever save on anything which could make you smile. Simply live your OWN life.

Enjoy it
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 04:21 AM   #183
SearChart
TechXpert

Don't smoke weed, it'll save quite a bit.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 04:31 AM   #184
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Agree. Corded Wahl trimmer for me. The ROI was one haircut. I’ve had it 15 years.
Absolutely correct! Also, when the pandemic started back in 2020 it was amazing how much we saved by not going out to eat, working from home and the cars sat in the garage for weeks on end, little to no dry-cleaning bills, and on and on..... We saved a ton of money because of lifestyle changes and even with pandemic easing, these savings continue. We have basically adapted to a necessity only lifestyle and we are still saving.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 06:19 AM   #185
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Don't smoke weed, it'll save quite a bit.
I gave it up, but at $1.50-$5/Gram USD at the dispensary when you buy half oz- ounce. It certainly wasn't affecting my bottom line. Had to be the cheapest entertainment money could buy. Got so cheap I wasn't even sure how they grew it for the price.

Legalizing it tanked the market here.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 04:06 PM   #186
KBWard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Interested in hearing the ways people from around the world save money (without being a cheapskate — not interested in ripping people off, stiffing tipped workers, haggling with tradesmen who are asking their standard rate, etc.)

Here’s a few.

— Brewing coffee at home
— renting movies at home. typically costs me around $5 a movie.
— Going on a diet. Less food cost and makes me less fat.
— Not owning a car currently. feasible for me due to location in Manhattan.
I have lived in Manhattan with my family for 40 years and been into American muscle cars for that entire time. I kept a a variety of Camaro's, Mustangs and Corvettes, one at a time, in indoor storage for that time period, typically driving about 3,000 miles per year.
I sold my latest, a 2013 Corvette Grand Sport in 2021 when Covid made owning such a car less enjoyable. Since then, I have saved considerably without having a car in the city and enjoyed life without being saddled with the cost and responsibility of maintaining these cars.

Now that being able to purchase a new iteration of one of these V8 performance models is lessening considerably due to the electrification of so many cars, I am considering the purchase of a new Camaro or Corvette and holding on to it for a long, long time.

Thanks,
Ken
KBWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 04:11 PM   #187
KBWard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interested in hearing the ways people from around the world save money (without being a cheapskate — not interested in ripping people off, stiffing tipped workers, haggling with tradesmen who are asking their standard rate, etc.)

Here’s a few.

— Brewing coffee at home
I have lived in Manhattan with my family for 40 years and been into American muscle cars for that entire time. I kept a a variety of Camaro's, Mustangs and Corvettes, one at a time, in indoor storage for that time period, typically driving about 3,000 miles per year.
I sold my latest, a 2013 Corvette Grand Sport in 2021 when Covid made owning such a car less enjoyable. Since then, I have saved considerably without having a car in the city and enjoyed life without being saddled with the cost and responsibility of maintaining these cars.

Now that being able to purchase a new iteration of one of these V8 performance models is lessening considerably due to the electrification of so many cars, I am considering the purchase of a new Camaro or Corvette and holding on to it for a long, long time.

Thanks,
Ken
KBWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 05:24 PM   #188
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Here’s a few.

— Brewing coffee at home
Pay yourself first. Auto withdrawal into investment accounts. Less money in checking to discretionary spend. Also means less watches.
illiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 05:32 PM   #189
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Choose your girlfriend/fiance/wife with the utmost care
Old 27 January 2023, 05:34 PM   #190
AkshayArgade
"TRF" Member

don't eat outside-

no alcohol

no smoking
AkshayArgade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 06:34 PM   #191
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
When you are young, find someone you hate and give them a house, after that stay single and have random cuddles, you’ll save a fortune.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 08:58 PM   #192
TRS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Correct, and I was fortunate. I see this as the downfall of many of my friends.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 09:41 PM   #193
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Streaming IPTV service. Cut the outrageous cable bills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 10:16 PM   #194
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I tried going to stop n shop instead of kings.

At first I was thrilled. Saved 1/3 or more.

But I mostly only eat fruit and veggies. Not much boxed food.

And there is a huge difference in quality. I was very surprised.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2023, 11:03 PM   #195
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Well said. My bro's first wife was a Train Wreck and almost brought him to bankruptcy.

On the other side of this, you could choose to be someone's arm candy. It's fun while it lasts too
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 01:51 AM   #196
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

On the other side of this, you could choose to be someone's arm candy. It's fun while it lasts too :
That was the route I took, and it's been great.

Started out as a remittance man, and evolved into arm candy. Of course the weekly waxing can be a bit painful but no pain no gain.
Old 28 January 2023, 02:06 AM   #197
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Waxing? Never heard of that. We need details... and pics.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 02:28 AM   #198
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I tried going to stop n shop instead of kings.

At first I was thrilled. Saved 1/3 or more.

But I mostly only eat fruit and veggies. Not much boxed food.

And there is a huge difference in quality. I was very surprised.
Similar story here with clothes. Tried buying a cheaper shirt last week and was disappointed how it aged after one wash (and I hang dry everything). Ended up being a bit of a false economy.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 02:30 AM   #199
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Waxing? Never heard of that. We need details... and pics.
Some things a gentleman never discusses.

Not sure where I fit into that but....

Working the cruise ships can be challenging as well. I get sea sick easily.
Old 28 January 2023, 02:51 AM   #200
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Similar story here with clothes. Tried buying a cheaper shirt last week and was disappointed how it aged after one wash (and I hang dry everything). Ended up being a bit of a false economy.
I must say, when I wore dress shirts regularly. Stuff from TJ Maxx felt like sand paper compared to the stuff from Saks.

Aziz Ansaris "Hotel luxury linens" skit comes to mind.

Never failed to garner compliments wearing Paper Denim & cloth shirts that rarely cost over $15 though.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 03:05 AM   #201
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The false economy is the challenging thing.

Pay more for quality that lasts has always been a pretty tried and true statement which usually works out better in the long run if you can swing it.

These days it seems to get iffy, in that the stuff coming out that used to be "quality" is just marketing and can be as crappy as the cheap stuff.

Built in obsolescence has been a major factor in companies "maximizing profits" thinking.
Old 28 January 2023, 03:10 AM   #202
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Don't leave the missus alone in Harvey Nichols sale while one gets a haircut. Goodness me, I'm still in shock, even after she told me how much she had saved.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 03:54 AM   #203
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Don't leave the missus alone in Harvey Nichols sale while one gets a haircut. Goodness me, I'm still in shock, even after she told me how much she had saved.

My wife is very frugal. But I struggle with the argument that spending money somehow saved money. Would she have saved more had she not attended the sale in the first place?
Old 28 January 2023, 07:03 AM   #204
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My wife is very frugal. But I struggle with the argument that spending money somehow saved money. Would she have saved more had she not attended the sale in the first place?
We know that.

In all honesty, I don't begrudge her, she is normally very frugal as well, it was more tongue in cheek post.

DAVE

Old 28 January 2023, 09:34 AM   #205
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
We know that.

In all honesty, I don't begrudge her, she is normally very frugal as well, it was more tongue in cheek post.
Oh no. My apologies. I was referring to my wife. She will go to a sale and buy something we don’t need, at substantial discount, and tell me how much money she saved.
Old 28 January 2023, 09:48 AM   #206
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh no. My apologies. I was referring to my wife. She will go to a sale and buy something we don’t need, at substantial discount, and tell me how much money she saved.
Absolutely no need for an apology my friend, my reply was badly worded.

DAVE

Old 28 January 2023, 11:34 PM   #207
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Wife: I got it because it is 50% off.

Me: If you don’t buy it, it is 100% off.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:57 AM   #208
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post
Wife: I got it because it is 50% off.

Me: If you don’t buy it, it is 100% off.
It is very hard to get snarky at the wife buying on sale stuff, when we have 10 watches (that she knows about), and are looking for new ones every day.

I'm pretty gentle with the MRS making purchases, because it just gives me more leeway in getting watches, because who really needs 10 watches (besides me).
Old 29 January 2023, 02:13 AM   #209
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
I must say, when I wore dress shirts regularly. Stuff from TJ Maxx felt like sand paper compared to the stuff from Saks.

Aziz Ansaris "Hotel luxury linens" skit comes to mind.

Never failed to garner compliments wearing Paper Denim & cloth shirts that rarely cost over $15 though.
The sad thing is the “cheaper” item was a $100+ flannel shirt from Polo Ralph Lauren. I normally buy RRL (a higher end Ralph Lauren sub-brand with a western/Americana vibe). I’ve always been happy with RRL, but the Polo line felt like just paying for the brand. At least I tried.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 05:04 AM   #210
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
I feel the same way, especially after my father who did everything right in terms of eating healthy, exercising, not drinking/smoking etc. still passed away from cancer in his 60s. Life is just too short and you never know when it's your time.

I got pretty lucky investing early on and felt I'd made enough that I decided to just retire in my 30s. I've never been very ambitious or motivated, and feel like I'd rather enjoy my life than do something that makes me miserable everyday (that's just me, some people are career oriented and love their job and that's perfectly fine). So now my wife and I have all the time in the world, we can go traveling anytime, sleep weird hours, play with our dogs, go out for dinner, none of it affects the big picture and we don't have to worry about the next day... it's honestly amazing.

So basically to sum up a long-winded rant that no one asked for, just do what makes you happy if you can afford it and don't worry about the small things. If you're not going into debt and it doesn't make a difference in the long run, have fun with your life and do all the things that put a smile on your face or takes away that little bit of stress. Those little things everyday can add up, and you never know when you won't have the chance to do them again.
Wow we both have many things in common specially losing our fathers at same age and circumstances, my father died in my arms (healthy non smoker / drinker , cancer) and I realized my own mortality that instance. My friends always look at me and feel , why Im not so motivated or over ambitious. I do sometimes get conscious of my living my live easy and relaxed pace (waking up without an alarm, starting my day post lunch ... 3-4 hours relaxed work hours) , thanks I felt much better reading your post and sort of an affirmation for me. I guess our similar life experience gave us this awareness.