The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 7 July 2022, 05:33 AM   #31
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleNavigator View Post
Why do you keep complaining and coming back here everyday then? I remember last year you wanted to retire. Must be a glutton for punishment. And what value do you add with constant complaining?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 7 July 2022, 05:34 AM   #32
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclowe View Post
Interesting data and analysis:

https://www.watchpro.com/prices-slum...rolex-watches/

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not even close to what I have just seen
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 7 July 2022, 05:35 AM   #33
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
This was a forum started mainly for about the history and watches made by the RWC over the past 100 odd years. Now today Rolex watches have become little more than ££$$€€ object things and nothing more. The history of the brand has gone, now its value this or that, and silly nicknames, or worring and fretting over the slightest scratch, or a second or so out of 86400 seconds in a day.
Completely agree Peter and after what I saw today, Rolex is nothing more than a commodity. Hope you are well
Old 7 July 2022, 05:43 AM   #34
MiloDiThernan
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15400 OR
Quote:
This was a forum started mainly for about the history and watches made by the RWC over the past 100 odd years. Now today Rolex watches have become little more than ££$$€€ object things and nothing more. The history of the brand has gone, now its value this or that, and silly nicknames, or worring and fretting over the slightest scratch, or a second or so out of 86400 seconds in a day.
I agree with you. Few things are less attractive than narrow minded, single issue, old men. Who have no ability to listen and adapt. I understand, as an old man myself, that an excessive emphasis on money, rather than beauty, is one dimensional. And boring. But all the posts here addressing the value that others perceive in Rolex (in other words, what does the market think) are of much greater interest than the bad-tempered ‘stop talking about money” oldies with thousands of ‘what are you wearing?’ posts. I expect an infraction warning. Or this to be deleted. But if the old lions don’t give way to the young lions, the pride dies. And the youngsters on this forum have far more insight and colour to offer than the old complainers.
Old 7 July 2022, 05:45 AM   #35
MiloDiThernan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can assure you added more value over the past 17 odd years than yourself, I am entitled to my opinion if you dont like my opinion dont reply its that simple.
I attached my rant against your bad-tempered attitude to the wrong post. So here is a correction.
Old 7 July 2022, 05:48 AM   #36
link517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloDiThernan View Post
I agree with you. Few things are less attractive than narrow minded, single issue, old men. Who have no ability to listen and adapt. I understand, as an old man myself, that an excessive emphasis on money, rather than beauty, is one dimensional. And boring. But all the posts here addressing the value that others perceive in Rolex (in other words, what does the market think) are of much greater interest than the bad-tempered ‘stop talking about money” oldies with thousands of ‘what are you wearing?’ posts. I expect an infraction warning. Or this to be deleted. But if the old lions don’t give way to the young lions, the pride dies. And the youngsters on this forum have far more insight and colour to offer than the old complainers.
Well said. I would add that I use the value/market price topics/posts to get a feel on ability to source new watches, which has nothing to do investment. For instance, white gold latest generation sub can be had around retail on secondary market, that tells me it might be worth going to my AD to inquire about a piece.

Without this forum, I would have never discovered Moda Facebook group and how would I know that Chrono24 posted prices are overly optimistic.
Old 7 July 2022, 05:52 AM   #37
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It looks like it may revert. There’s always hope
Old 7 July 2022, 05:53 AM   #38
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
All due respect, you have been here for a few years you should know who Peter is and what he brings to this community. He is 100% correct, as this forum should be used for gaining knowledge on the brand, and talk amongst friends rather than discussing prices and valuations all day.
Old 7 July 2022, 06:10 AM   #39
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby View Post
Most of the newer members, complaining about the crazy prices of the past two years and whining about how they can’t afford to buy Rolex are now not interested as prices are dropping. Truly, they had no interest in these watches other than for the potential profit they they missed out on by flipping. They’re not interested in buying a Daytona $50,000 nor at $25,000.
im a new member, bought a couple of watches in the last year and believe me when I can buy at retail I will be getting a few more - no intention of selling but also no intention of paying silly grey prices unless of course less then retail and new in box
Old 7 July 2022, 06:11 AM   #40
GoWarriors
"TRF" Member

Things are what you think of them.
Old 7 July 2022, 06:16 AM   #41
Fred_Tan
Banned

Watch: Bumble Bee
We forget ppl are still paying $20G for what was $0.00 less than 15yrs ago, for something DeFi supporters are calling the “true value”, in form of BitCoin.
Let’s not even go into NFT.

If ppl can pay thousands and millions for things which only exist as block-chain decimals, it wouldn’t be far fetched to ask why not Rolex?

Especially amidst hyperinflation risk
Old 7 July 2022, 06:37 AM   #42
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby View Post
Most of the newer members, complaining about the crazy prices of the past two years and whining about how they can’t afford to buy Rolex are now not interested as prices are dropping. Truly, they had no interest in these watches other than for the potential profit they they missed out on by flipping. They’re not interested in buying a Daytona $50,000 nor at $25,000.
Is this a fact? How do you know this?
Old 7 July 2022, 07:08 AM   #43
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
But if the old lions don’t give way to the young lions, the pride dies. And the youngsters on this forum have far more insight and colour to offer than the old complainers.
Milo, my friend, last time I checked this was not a political party or a sports team so the pride analogy is not really getting it for me.

But if you are truly concerned about the health of this form, you might try:
  • Contributing membership dues.
  • Writing a watch review.
  • Or, maybe answering even a tiny percentage of the questions about the history and workings of Rolex watches that Padi has for many, many years and continues to do so.

As far as adding "colour" to the forum, I have reviewed Padi's post which you ask us to believe offends you so much you feel compelled to pontificate so passionately as to how it will be the downfall of this forum. Seriously? I must ask you, if Padi's post is is not the very definition of "colour" then what is? And if anyone is so offended by the post as to swear off the forum, well they must have led a pretty sheltered and pampered life. But I digress.

Again, if you are serious about the health of the forum there are more constructive things you can do than throw stones at those who continue to add to its value.

If not, then by all means feel free to keep quasi-lurking and bless us with your wisdom. But you might be more persuasive if you had a tad thicker skin and a just a wee bit more perspective. And were a might bit more respectful to the people who add so much to this forum.
Old 7 July 2022, 07:15 AM   #44
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I’ve always felt that we shouldn’t tell people how to joy the watch hobby. Some people like to collect to wear, some just to have, some to trade. Who am I to judge? It’s not my money. Live and let live. Plus it likely will be a self correcting issue. If the prices continue to rise, it will literally be unavoidable to talk about. If they fall people will eventually stop talking about it.
In the meantime, there are literally hundreds of non watch value/invest,ent threads. Why get so worked up about the ones that are. I personally am much more annoy d at the “is it safe to wear my Rolex to ….”, because usually they are little more than dog whistles, but I can skip them if I want and respond if I want. I’ve done both.
Old 7 July 2022, 07:36 AM   #45
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
For what it's worth, padi, your knowledge of Rolex and Tudor is peerless on this forum.

I would love to see you start some good threads, maybe one a week, about these brands, with stories or facts that we might not otherwise get to learn.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
Old 7 July 2022, 07:40 AM   #46
MiloDiThernan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Milo, my friend, last time I checked this was not a political party or a sports team so the pride analogy is not really getting it for me.

But if you are truly concerned about the health of this form, you might try:
  • Contributing membership dues.
  • Writing a watch review.
  • Or, maybe answering even a tiny percentage of the questions about the history and workings of Rolex watches that Padi has for many, many years and continues to do so.

As far as adding "colour" to the forum, I have reviewed Padi's post which you ask us to believe offends you so much you feel compelled to pontificate so passionately as to how it will be the downfall of this forum. Seriously? I must ask you, if Padi's post is is not the very definition of "colour" then what is? And if anyone is so offended by the post as to swear off the forum, well they must have led a pretty sheltered and pampered life. But I digress.

Again, if you are serious about the health of the forum there are more constructive things you can do than throw stones at those who continue to add to its value.

If not, then by all means feel free to keep quasi-lurking and bless us with your wisdom. But you might be more persuasive if you had a tad thicker skin and a just a wee bit more perspective. And were a might bit more respectful to the people who add so much to this forum.
Understood. And taken in a positive way. I’ll try and listen and learn. Completely agree that we should respect an institution created for years by people like padi, from which youngsters benefit. Because without padi and the oldies, the youngsters would have nowhere to go to learn, ask and, perhaps, vent. I’m just making a plea for tolerance and sponsorship, by the old in particular (who are stuck in their ways), to give a little latitude to the excitability of the youngsters. Let people discuss the market. They’ll eventually get bored by the money aspect too. And then they’ll want to learn. Just don’t cut them off on arrival, with “this forum used to be…..now it’s all about (uninformed youngsters obsessed about) money….!’ Live and let live. Thanks for penning an admonition which I’ve tried to take to heart.
Old 7 July 2022, 07:40 AM   #47
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Yea show me a nice 5 digit sub or gmt that has dropped in value at all…..they haven’t…..maybe stop going up but not dropped
I have to say, from what I see, this is really accurate. It does appear nice 5 digits subs/GMT are holding if not increasing in price.

Last edited by ny_yeti; 7 July 2022 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: missed a word
Old 7 July 2022, 07:51 AM   #48
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Used market prices for goods rise and fall due to supply and demand. There is no MSRP, just an equilibrium price. Falling prices should be great for everyone. More supply and more and more buyers at the lower prices. The narrowing gap in MSRP and used retail, should deter those just looking to park money in an investment and free up more inventory at ADs. Everything is good.
Old 7 July 2022, 07:55 AM   #49
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Used market prices for goods rise and fall due to supply and demand. There is no MSRP, just an equilibrium price. Falling prices should be great for everyone. More supply and more and more buyers at the lower prices. The narrowing gap in MSRP and used retail, should deter those just looking to park money in an investment and free up more inventory at ADs. Everything is good.
Except the catalyst for failing prices is the collapse of the world economy. It’s shocking how many people seem giddy at this because it means it will be easier to get a watch.
Old 7 July 2022, 08:03 AM   #50
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Let's just read each post as they come. Generally, aged lifelong collectors and a first-time owner with an incoming can both add warmth and insight to the discussions.
Old 7 July 2022, 08:12 AM   #51
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Except the catalyst for failing prices is the collapse of the world economy. It’s shocking how many people seem giddy at this because it means it will be easier to get a watch.
I agree with you from many posts here in various threads. However, with luck, any downturn will be short-lived economy wide wise but with a healthy repricing of used luxury goods which got way ahead of itself. A re-ordering of priorities. Remember many folks were stuck at home for a year with a computer full of hype and nothing to spend money on but luxury goods.
Old 7 July 2022, 08:15 AM   #52
pursang_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_yeti View Post
I have to say, from what I see, this is really accurate. It does appear nice 5 digits subs/GMT are holding if not increasing in price.
It makes perfect sense. Neovintage crowd is a bit more obsessive and those references are in their own different world.

The article linked is covering freshly discontinued pieces that saw hype.

My first Rolex is a 2 liner 14060M bought two months ago. Paid a generous market value. Second one is a 16710 or 16700 upcoming. Waiting for the right one. Will pay whatever is market price. It's entirely possible that 5 digit prices will eventually soften. But it has no bearing on my choices or outlook.
Old 7 July 2022, 09:02 AM   #53
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
i (and a few others) got flamed for saying the economy would have to collapse 2008 style for watches to come down in price (to msrp) when everyone was begging and cheering for them to come down to msrp. someone even wrote a giant condescending paragraph using a thesaurus for half of it. well...here we are

ironically it aged terribly while attempting to be a smartass and because i'm petty i dug it up lol :

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...&postcount=215

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirth
It borders on grandiosity to stipulate that a global economic meltdown is necessary for the Rolex market to suffer. Worse still to portray someone who would like to see prices dip below the stratosphere as a supervillain or sociopath. Wanting a Rolex is not an inclination toward eschatology.

The logic of the narrative goes something like this:
The Rolex market can’t return to an approximation of MSRP unless the economy collapses.
You want Rolexes to come down in price; therefore, you want the economy to crash.
In conclusion, you want people to lose their houses, eat rats, and die of scurvy.

Of course, none of the above is true. To elevate watches as an asset class to such Icarian heights is pure hubris, plain and simple.
Old 7 July 2022, 09:22 AM   #54
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
I think it’s unrealistic and a bit unfair to crap on those that choose to discuss value with Rolex watches. This type of discussion is commonplace in other high end commodity forums, be it classic cars, luxury cars, jewelry, antiques, etc.
Sure, as collectors we discuss the various nuances related to our particular genre, but value, real or perceived, is always on peoples minds. I think the flipping craze has really touched a nerve but to ignore value when talking about watches, new or vintage, especially when we are taking multi-thousands of dollars is a bit silly, no?
Just IMHO
Old 7 July 2022, 10:10 AM   #55
Fred_Tan
Banned

Watch: Bumble Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
I think it’s unrealistic and a bit unfair to crap on those that choose to discuss value with Rolex watches. This type of discussion is commonplace in other high end commodity forums, be it classic cars, luxury cars, jewelry, antiques, etc.
Sure, as collectors we discuss the various nuances related to our particular genre, but value, real or perceived, is always on peoples minds. I think the flipping craze has really touched a nerve but to ignore value when talking about watches, new or vintage, especially when we are taking multi-thousands of dollars is a bit silly, no?
Just IMHO
Ditto.
Those who crap on ppl who value luxury items are probably just selfish folks who thinks only about emselves & want everything avail at their pleasure without much effort.

I observe same negativity among collectors who can’t land their current issue/release of regular comic, bourbon, handbag, scotch, wine, sneaker, coin, stamp, trading cards & Japanese denim; and these negativity are reflected in the way they diss so call investors who value their wishlists thus displacing them from priority lists.

I regard these negative folks as those envious of others for being able to get things they wanted, especially those who can afford to pay above MSRP.

I wonder if half of former, current and future Rolex owners would even patiently queue outside AD to wait their turns to enter, or wait for years and painstakingly follow-up with their SA, on monthly basis with face to face meetings - for their wishlist, or pay above MSRP if they can’t no longer wait; if Rolex is just another Citizen/Rado (no disrespect to these brands).
Just saying.

A good example will be Panerai after the craze is over post-2010.
Before Panerai switched to in-house mvmt; almost 1/2 of the oldies here in this forum rush to call their AD every year minutes after Panerai drop their new PAM249, 232 and dozens more models.

As soon as the 3xx series roll out with inflated in-house mvmt price & maybe too many homage models which look similar to past years, the music died
Old 7 July 2022, 10:18 AM   #56
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Lol… I wouldn’t even pay MSRP for a new OP.
Old 7 July 2022, 10:20 AM   #57
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I’m ruined!
Old 7 July 2022, 04:20 PM   #58
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

This thread needs a JacksonRain market/valuation update on some hot watches.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Old 7 July 2022, 05:30 PM   #59
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I'd rather go through two years of Covid again then pay over MRSP.
Old 7 July 2022, 09:53 PM   #60
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Back to the topic at hand……..5 digits haven’t dropped much at all……..exp 2 possibly and some of the daytonas that went bonkers(16520)…..but 16600/16710/16610lv are all holding strong in their respected fields.
Closed Thread