The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 20 January 2023, 07:46 PM   #1
Jacubi
Banned

Watchtrader & Co caught money laundering

They are quite big on Youtube. It seems you can never be safe when going grey. Apparently 10 million worth of consignment watches have been seized.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-probe.html
Jacubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 08:06 PM   #2
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Yikes.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 08:14 PM   #3
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
suspected of money laundering and 10 million worth of consignment watches have been seized back in October last year. but seems like their business still running normally as of now. am I missing something ?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 07:56 AM   #4
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacubi View Post
They are quite big on Youtube. It seems you can never be safe when going grey. Apparently 10 million worth of consignment watches have been seized.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-probe.html
Britain’s FBI
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 07:59 AM   #5
RollieNZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date YG
They're only 'suspected'.

If you read the article it appears to be the owners of the watches that the NCA are targeting.
RollieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 03:36 PM   #6
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watchtrader & Co caught money laundering

So were any of the seized watches previously reported stolen? If not, wouldn’t that suggest that they were lawfully held by the consignor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 05:00 PM   #7
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
So were any of the seized watches previously reported stolen? If not, wouldn’t that suggest that they were lawfully held by the consignor?

my concern is if a legit customer bought a consignment watch which involves money laundering from this grey dealer, does he need to return the watch?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 12:59 AM   #8
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Interesting theoretical question. Would that not depend on the watch? If the watch itself is stolen, obviously it’s likely a problem.

I’m not a lawyer but if dirty money buys a genuine bona fide watch which is then sold on consignment to an innocent person with valid funds just to conceal the source of the cash for the seller, I’d like to think the watch itself would be fine.

The issue should be the “clean” cash itself which went to the business and the seller which looked clean but isn’t?
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 06:27 AM   #9
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Article says the NCA is looking for tax returns from the consigned watches owners to see if the sellers have the means to buy the watch with clean money. I don't think Watchtrader is at fault here, they are just a medium used by potential launderers to unload hot commodities for clean money.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 07:02 AM   #10
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goupax View Post
Article says the NCA is looking for tax returns from the consigned watches owners to see if the sellers have the means to buy the watch with clean money. I don't think Watchtrader is at fault here, they are just a medium used by potential launderers to unload hot commodities for clean money.
What a crock of sh*t. I’m not familiar with the applicable UK law but it’s troubling that the burden isn’t on the govt to prove they are connected to laundering.
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:23 AM   #11
RollieNZ
"TRF" Member

I think, generally in most jurisdictions, when it comes to money laundering, the ownus is on the accused to prove that the item was purchased with legally acquired funds.

And when you think about it that's the only way anti-money laundering laws can work.

It would be very difficult, if not impossible, for the state to prosecute otherwise.
Old 22 January 2023, 11:28 AM   #12
RollieNZ
"TRF" Member

In New Zealand, even if you are prosecuted criminally and found not guilty, the law enforcement agencies can apply to the court for an order freezing your assets until you are able to prove they were obtained legally.

If you are unable to prove this they can then apply for a forfeiture order and your property, be it watches, cars etc, are confiscated by the government.

This law has been very effective in targeting money laundering, particularly with respect to big time drug suppliers.
Old 22 January 2023, 12:29 PM   #13
77T

Regardless of the charges, anytime property is seized by police here in US, the person claiming ownership may be asked to validate their ownership (might be a pawnbroker gone bad, or burgled property recovered, or even recovered via RSC seizure).

Now on the money laundering enhanced regs. in some countries, one might be required to prove it was acquired lawfully. But this should be easily bypassed…all my really expensive watches were gifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 04:12 PM   #14
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Regardless of the charges, anytime property is seized by police here in US, the person claiming ownership may be asked to validate their ownership (might be a pawnbroker gone bad, or burgled property recovered, or even recovered via RSC seizure).

Now on the money laundering enhanced regs. in some countries, one might be required to prove it was acquired lawfully. But this should be easily bypassed…all my really expensive watches were gifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is basically a case of civil forfeiture right? Which has been shown countless times to be bad policy and just a way for government to make money. If I make 50k a year and buy an 8k Rolex because I saved money or have very little expenses is the government really going to believe I had the means to afford it? I feel like this is the same thing that happened not long ago in LA when the FBI seized a bunch of safety deposit boxes they claimed were connected to drugs/laundering despite have no proof.
Old 24 January 2023, 01:47 PM   #15
southtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieNZ View Post
In New Zealand, even if you are prosecuted criminally and found not guilty, the law enforcement agencies can apply to the court for an order freezing your assets until you are able to prove they were obtained legally.

If you are unable to prove this they can then apply for a forfeiture order and your property, be it watches, cars etc, are confiscated by the government.

This law has been very effective in targeting money laundering, particularly with respect to big time drug suppliers.

That sounds terrifying.

Old 24 January 2023, 04:42 PM   #16
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
This is going to be a little offtopic, but I have to revise my previous opinion. This is the first time when I started to understood why many are talking about the advantages of the cryptos.

However this was a completly new to me thinking, as this kind of way of interpert the law would be completely unacceptable in the European Union, as it would unacceptably violate the European Citizen's fundamental rights. This logic would not even arise.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 06:18 PM   #17
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
What a crock of sh*t. I’m not familiar with the applicable UK law but it’s troubling that the burden isn’t on the govt to prove they are connected to laundering.
It will be ultimately, I suspect the watches have been seized as evidence for a future case, and if they weren't bought with dirty money then they will be returned to their legal owners.

IFAIK the relevant legislation is the Proceeds of Crime Act.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 06:39 AM   #18
southtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
This is basically a case of civil forfeiture right? Which has been shown countless times to be bad policy and just a way for government to make money. If I make 50k a year and buy an 8k Rolex because I saved money or have very little expenses is the government really going to believe I had the means to afford it? I feel like this is the same thing that happened not long ago in LA when the FBI seized a bunch of safety deposit boxes they claimed were connected to drugs/laundering despite have no proof.
Interesting parallel. I recall that story; seemed incredibly strange at the time.

Old 25 January 2023, 07:07 AM   #19
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Interesting parallel. I recall that story; seemed incredibly strange at the time.
Yeah and that case is currently making its way to the 9th circuit court on appeal.

I mean maybe the law allows for this, but I just don't see how it is good public policy to mandate that if your property is suspect to be connected to a crime (despite little to no proof) YOU have the burden of proof to prove otherwise. It's guilty until proven innocent.

These civil forfeiture laws are guised as designed to stop money laundering and drug trade but in reality they are huge cash cows for law enforcement entities to generate revenue and are used for that purpose.
Old 31 January 2023, 06:39 PM   #20
rcwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rose Daytona
Too much click bait misleading articles these days.