The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 January 2023, 12:02 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Watches I Respect

A couple threads got me thinking.

And please don’t flame me. If you don’t like the thread, please move on. As most of you folks know, I do try and keep it positive as much as possible. It’s a daily struggle, but it’s a worthy fight imho.

So I’m going to go with what I respect rather than the opposite direction.

That out of the way, there are a few watches that I tend to very much respect. And therefore, right or wrong, my first impression of the wearer reflects that. Certainly, that is not a good barometer as I’ve learned from experience. But even so, my thoughts still stand.

Why? I’m not sure. Providence maybe. History of the watch and brand. Proof that the individual wearing it is not following the pack, but rather the beat of their own drum. Maybe even it’s simply my own bias based on what I like.

Even so, some of these I respect greatly, but have no desire to own or wear. Would love to hear feedback and learn the watches other folks respect and think are cool.

In no particular order:

Omega Speedmaster
Breitling Navitimer
Any Rolex GMT (less so on jubilee, sorry).
Cartier Santos or Tank
Pretty much anything from IWC
Tudor Black Bay
Hueur Monaco
Any perpetual calendar

I think that’s it. But I feel like I’m forgetting a few. I’m sure there are more.

And to be sure, there are tons of cool watches out there. These are just the ones that stand out to me personally.

I happen to think Bremont is a neat brand as a whole. But not enough so to put on the list.

And yes, if I see someone wearing one of these, and the situation feels right, I’ll start a conversation by giving a compliment. Or, if the wearer looks grumpy, I’ll move on.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:08 AM   #2
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I like your list, and feel the same on most of them. I would add JLC Reverso, not for me personally but if I see someone wearing one I am intrigued!
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:09 AM   #3
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
I would say rolex explorer 1 36mm. Smaller watches in general. Breguet and simple Lange. Omega 1957 trilogy. Older vintage type stuff. That's where my head went.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:10 AM   #4
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I would have a significantly broader list of watches that would suggest to me that an interesting conversation was a possibility...but I get your point. It's also one of the few instances where a car analogy would work.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:20 AM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I like your list, and feel the same on most of them. I would add JLC Reverso, not for me personally but if I see someone wearing one I am intrigued!
Oh yes!!!

Great call!!

Old 29 January 2023, 12:21 AM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk552502 View Post
I would say rolex explorer 1 36mm. Smaller watches in general. Breguet and simple Lange. Omega 1957 trilogy. Older vintage type stuff. That's where my head went.
Also great additions.

Old 29 January 2023, 12:21 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I would have a significantly broader list of watches that would suggest to me that an interesting conversation was a possibility...but I get your point. It's also one of the few instances where a car analogy would work.
Let’s hear em!!

Old 29 January 2023, 12:48 AM   #8
Star Ferry
Banned

anyone wearing a Grand Seiko or other high-end Seiko. These folks tend to be (or at least were in the past) enthusiasts, or to have a connection to Asia, where Seiko has a bit more brand cachet.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:50 AM   #9
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Watches I Respect

I pretty much respect all watches and all brands, including Hublot and Tag Heuer, which get a lot of hate on the internet. However, I do respect some brands more than others. I’m definitely more of a Rolex/Omega kind of a guy than a Cartier/JLC kind of a guy.

Also, a lot of the German and Micro brands deserve a lot of respect too, because you just know the person that wears these watches are watch enthusiasts. Plus, they’re great watches. For example, Sinn, Damasko, Nomos, Monta, Farer, et al.

When it comes to brands like MVMT & Invicta, that’s when things start to go off the rails for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:56 AM   #10
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Great list. I would add a thin eloquent time only dress watch in PM on a strap in a traditional size of 33 to 38mm.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 12:57 AM   #11
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Good list Seth.

But I feel compelled to ask. Why no respect for the sub?
Old 29 January 2023, 01:03 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Initially this was how I decided to go about building a collection.

I can respect names on the list and still not own them, some were watches I could never bond with like the JLC Reverso which is an icon it its own right.

Omega Speedmaster
Rolex GMT
Breitling Navitimer
Heuer Chrono
Patek Perpetual Calendar Chronograph
Vacheron Complete Calendar
Lange 1

Theses would be a basic list for me

To me at its core, this is what watches, horology and collecting should be about.

Thanks for a great thread
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:04 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Good list Seth.

I am sure I will catch heat but this forum is very low on quality discussion.

To me the Submariner is the Toyota of the watch world. Popular, robust, efficient and boring. I have had one and I prefer my GMT although I am nearly done with the brand entirely.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:11 AM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I pretty much respect all watches and all brands, including Hublot and Tag Heuer, which get a lot of hate on the internet. However, I do respect some brands more than others. I’m definitely more of a Rolex/Omega kind of a guy than a Cartier/JLC kind of a guy.

Also, a lot of the German and Micro brands deserve a lot of respect too, because you just know the person that wears these watches are watch enthusiasts. Plus, they’re great watches. For example, Sinn, Damasko, Nomos, Monta, Farer, et al.

When it comes to brands like MVMT & Invicta, that’s when things start to go off the rails for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please know, I too respect all brands. And actually have a hublot. Tag was my first love alongside movado.

This list is just what resonates with me.

Old 29 January 2023, 01:12 AM   #15
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Great list. I would add a thin eloquent time only dress watch in PM on a strap in a traditional size of 33 to 38mm.
Absolutely with you. I’d likely say patek dress of some sort. Or JLC

Old 29 January 2023, 01:14 AM   #16
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Good list Seth.

I respect it. It’s a good watch. Clearly a legend really.

For me though, it’s the quintessential Rolex. A ton of folks wear the sub simply because of what it is. A Rolex. Not due to a real love of watches and horological passions.

I think that’s one of the reasons I prefer the gmt. It’s more of a “if you know, you know” watch.

Old 29 January 2023, 01:20 AM   #17
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

To me the Submariner is the Toyota of the watch world. Popular, robust, efficient and boring. I have had one and I prefer my GMT although I am nearly done with the brand entirely.
Agree. Subs are ubiquitous, but not very interesting. I bought mine decades ago for diving, and it’s an excellent watch for old school diving. But Subs are boring compared to the watches on the list. Today’s colored subs, ceramic, and PM are lipstick on a pig. The basic design of the watch is still a boring utilitarian tool watch.
Maleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:22 AM   #18
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I will second ALS Lange 1. An aficionado’s watch.
Maleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 01:51 AM   #19
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I respect every watch I own.

Except for the one that the hands fell off.

He's a two timer (dual time) so he already had a reputation.

But after a spa visit and surgery he's climbing back into the respect column.

But I'm keeping a wary eye on him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2742.JPG (29.5 KB, 384 views)
Old 29 January 2023, 01:57 AM   #20
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Agree. Subs are ubiquitous, but not very interesting. I bought mine decades ago for diving, and it’s an excellent watch for old school diving. But Subs are boring compared to the watches on the list. Today’s colored subs, ceramic, and PM are lipstick on a pig. The basic design of the watch is still a boring utilitarian tool watch.

I bought my sub specifically because I can beat the hell out of it and it will stay with me through every step of the way. Thanks for the tool watch reference as I agree, nothing better for beating the crap out of and still keeping time.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 02:03 AM   #21
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I bought my sub specifically because I can beat the hell out of it and it will stay with me through every step of the way. Thanks for the tool watch reference as I agree, nothing better for beating the crap out of and still keeping time.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
I think that's a very good point about a tool watch garnering and deserving respect. More so than some pretty and often fragile dress watch.

Personally I'd never consider a Sub style boring. Classic to me is not boring. It's iconic for a reason and has barely been changed visually in 70 years.

I rotate 10 watches and always look forward to my SeaDweller, and marvel at it's perfection.
Old 29 January 2023, 02:06 AM   #22
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Understand Brian, and horologically and objectively, your position has merit. But subjectively, except for popular, I respect the other attributes - robust, efficient, and yes, perhaps most of all, boring.

At work, I am the guy in a traditional cut charcoal suit, button down collar white shirt, with a rep tie. If I am feeling sporty, a blue shirt.

At play, plain Levis and plain t-shirt. Makes my day. So, the sub fits right in.

I like simple, sturdy and boring. It is in my DNA. So, I respect the Sub, particularly without a date.

However, I have misgivings about where the Rolex brand is going. The hype is anathema to a person who values boring. The popularity is a detraction in my book. And the AD games and barriers to entry are down right silly.
Old 29 January 2023, 02:10 AM   #23
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
For me though, it’s the quintessential Rolex. A ton of folks wear the sub simply because of what it is. A Rolex. Not due to a real love of watches and horological passions.
Unfortunately this is true and becoming truer every day. It is my only issue with wearing a sub. But I still wear it and try to ignore the hype.
Old 29 January 2023, 02:15 AM   #24
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Definitely support the idea of a positive thread!

My list would include well-kept vintage watches worn by the original owner and still functioning military watches that have seen action and lived to tell the tale.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 02:16 AM   #25
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Nice list.

My collection is built on watches that have some type of history and “persona/look” that can be recognized. There are many that fall under this that I respect but wouldn’t buy, Reverso perfect example.

For example, a Daytona, Big Pilot, and a Pam Submersible all have “classic” looks us watch nerds recognize.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 02:17 AM   #26
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think that's a very good point about a tool watch garnering and deserving respect. More so than some pretty and often fragile dress watch.

Personally I'd never consider a Sub style boring. Classic to me is not boring. It's iconic for a reason and has barely been changed visually in 70 years.

I rotate 10 watches and always look forward to my SeaDweller, and marvel at it's perfection.
The Sub has a great design I think. It’s attractive, legible and durable. Also, how “ubiquitous” a sub is depends on the environment. At Goldman Sachs NY HQ? Totally ubiquitous. But in other contexts, it’s not all that common to see them.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 02:19 AM   #27
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
anyone wearing a Grand Seiko or other high-end Seiko. These folks tend to be (or at least were in the past) enthusiasts, or to have a connection to Asia, where Seiko has a bit more brand cachet.
This. If you're wearing a GS, you're generally someone that understands the watch game. I would say same with Tudor, for the most part.

I'm a social person and will start a conversation with anyone , but I've noticed most of the Rolex wearers either don't know what they're wearing (model) or don't care - it's about the Rolex name more than anything to them. Having said that, there were a select few that I struck up an excellent conversation with, but that's few and far between.
JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 02:24 AM   #28
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParm View Post
This. If you're wearing a GS, you're generally someone that understands the watch game. I would say same with Tudor, for the most part.

I'm a social person and will start a conversation with anyone , but I've noticed most of the Rolex wearers either don't know what they're wearing (model) or don't care - it's about the Rolex name more than anything to them. Having said that, there were a select few that I struck up an excellent conversation with, but that's few and far between.
Great call out on GS.

Absolutely should be on my list. I see one, I know that person knows.

Old 29 January 2023, 02:26 AM   #29
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParm View Post

And that’s my problem with Rolex today.

Imo, they took the best branding in the world, and went a bit too far. Too far for a business? Not likely. I’m sure the bean counters love it. But imo, it’s now tacky. I know they are amazing watches. And imho, the best all around watches. Bar none. But…

I don’t love that everyone wants a Rolex. Turns me off.

Old 29 January 2023, 02:36 AM   #30
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
And that’s my problem with Rolex today.

Imo, they took the best branding in the world, and went a bit too far. Too far for a business? Not likely. I’m sure the bean counters love it. But imo, it’s now tacky. I know they are amazing watches. And imho, the best all around watches. Bar none. But…

I don’t love that everyone wants a Rolex. Turns me off.

While I tend to agree with you on the modern fare, vintage are another matter, IMO.

Oh, don’t forget this is a positive thread!
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote