The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 January 2020, 12:10 PM   #1
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

JLC Questions

Exclusively Rolex owner, but interested in other brands ... including JLC. Hoping to better understand:

1) Is JLC considered haute horology?
2) Are service costs expensive?
3) Best to buy used?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:23 PM   #2
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Yes
Kind of (more then Rolex)
Yes or grey

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:36 PM   #3
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Yes
Not really when compared to other haut horology brands.
Yes, or reseller/gray

I have two JLC's and love the watches. Great fit and finish. The movements are where the brand really excel. Plus if you buy a watch that is still covered by the standard 2 year warranty you can extend it an additional 6 years. Find another brand that offers 8 years support.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 07:38 AM   #4
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
1) Yes
2) This doesn’t answer your question but I have owned several Rolex’s over the years and all have required service. Never had to service any of my JLCs.
3) Most ADs will discount JLC 20% or more, so at that point is it worth it to go used or grey, unless you are a flipper.
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 07:46 AM   #5
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne06 View Post
1) \
3) Most ADs will discount JLC 20% or more, so at that point is it worth it to go used or grey, unless you are a flipper.
Not my AD's (2 chains in DFW). Best offer I got was 5% if paying cash. Think it might depend on model, but the Geophysic TS, meteorite dial triple date and Sector dial Chrono which I was interested in buying were full retail. No negotiation. And tax on top.
Old 20 January 2020, 07:48 AM   #6
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Wife bought a Man's moon phase reverso two days ago. Yes, it is high horology. Don't know the service charges but 8 year warranty. Out AD asked us not to reveal the price we paid so I won't, but she was more comfortable buying from an AD. Plus I know the owner. And they sell Lange, Patek, Cartier, etc. Meaning it may help us with future purchases.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:05 AM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I bought a Reverso Duo from an AD 2-3 years ago. He detected I liked it and he made an offer that I could not refuse. PM me if you need the name.

The watch has been flawless. I have owned 4 JLCs, zero problems.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 10:00 PM   #8
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Exclusively Rolex owner, but interested in other brands ... including JLC. Hoping to better understand:

3) Best to buy used?
JLC are a terrific brand and are certainly in the upper levels of manufacturers.

Service costs are expensive - my Reverso Gran Sport was around £1,000 and needed servicing more regularly than any other watch. It used to stop after about 4 years. I have a 2008 Patek that's never been serviced and keeps amazing time.

JLC don't hold their values particularly well. So a good used example with all the paperwork etc is definitely worth considering.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:28 AM   #9
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
JLC don't hold their values particularly well. So a good used example with all the paperwork etc is definitely worth considering.
Depends on the model. The Geophysic 1958 Tribute as well as some other LE's sell well above retail on secondary market. And the original Geo is crazy money ($35-40K).
Old 22 January 2020, 06:37 AM   #10
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post

3) Best to buy used?
1) Yes, in my book. They have invented more movements than any company and have provided movements for other high end brands as well. Except for their very expensive models, their movements are mostly machined finished but they look very nice. In steel and even new from an AD, JLC is your least expensive way to get into haute horology today in a new watch. One could think of JLC as getting almost Patek quality at a Rolex price.

2) I paid about $900 to service my complicated Reverso, which is about average considering the movement and the brand. It's the only watch I've had to service yet, as the oils dried up, even though I have watches that are older. Unfortunately, it was a long and disappointing experience but it turned out okay after one year going back and forth and finally going back to Switzerland for replacement of a bunch of new parts that they scratched while servicing it in the US.

3) I would personally try to buy new with a heavy discount from an AD for the new long warranty and because some have had problems with their watches. Despite what some say, their resale isn't terrible but it's not like a stainless steel Rolex Professional either.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 07:53 AM   #11
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Its not necessary to be the original owner, purchasing from an AD, to get the 8 year warranty. I got my MC Sector Dial Chrono from a reseller, accompanied by the AD stamped warranty card, and had no issues registering it myself online for the 6 year extension.
Old 23 January 2020, 10:51 AM   #12
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, or grey.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 12:32 PM   #13
ajw45
"TRF" Member

1. Yes
2. Depends. More complicated models are more $$$ but comparable to other brands. Turn around time in the US is stellar cause upgraded Richemont service center in Dallas.
3. Yes or grey

Extra Credit. All my Rolexes are gone, my JLCs aren't going anywhere.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote