The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2020, 03:34 AM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
To my U.K. TRF brethren, can you explain meghanexit?

Just casually following this story in the news but I don’t understand what the heck is going on. So the Prince and Princess have asked to be removed from the Royal family? What does that mean? I have read suggestions that there was sever tension between the Queen and other members because the Prince married a bi-racial American, and they were never accepted in to the family, hence the request by the couple.

Is this true?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 03:38 AM   #2
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Paul - I think that it may have something to do with him being a rotorhead, and not a fixed wing guy....\

LOL!
Beo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 03:39 AM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
Paul - I think that it may have something to do with him being a rotorhead, and not a fixed wing guy....\

LOL!
You could be right Eddie
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 03:42 AM   #4
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
I don't speak UK but, I can do my best American:

Buddy of mine married into a family that hated him from day one. The wife decided after a couple of years that the best way to fix the problem would be to move closer to her family, both for the family help and because "getting to know you will help them love you."

Within six months of the move, she had filed for divorce and moved into a new house, where she lives with her parents and kids and he pays all the bills.

My buddy lives back in his hometown now; he couldn't quite make his unique skill set work anywhere else. The more I have talked to people about his story, the more common it seems to be. Who'd have thunk it? Classic American tale, I guess...

Slightly different situations, of course, so I'm sure the UK couple is just fine.
Cloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 03:50 AM   #5
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Harry has always had a strained relationship with the media stemming from his mother's death. He also seems to be the most "normal" out of a family of people a number of whom are eccentric, out of touch beyond belief and thicker than constipated bowel movements.

His marriage to a mixed race American of all people has brought more press scrutiny than ever and now he has an excuse to get away from the whole weird setup.

BTW I think the technical term is Megxit
Old 16 January 2020, 04:54 AM   #6
envuks

I am an American, but here is what I heard:

In exchange for their royal duties, members of the royal family receive a stipend from the queen. For Harry and Meghan, this is $5m annually (unclear on if that’s 5m each or combined).

They will be giving up that stipend and no longer participate in their royal duties (public appearances, events, etc).

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 05:26 AM   #7
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
It’s all a bit of a fuss about nothing.

Everyone loved Harry. We all felt sorry for him as a lad following his mothers coffin in the public eye, and that created a bond with the British people.

Harry then turned into a bit of a lad, did stuff that royals aren’t supposed to do, and was a bit of a ladies man.

Harry then did military service and saw action, firmly establishing himself as favourite royal. To add to that he did a bunch of stuff like the Invictus games. His stock could not have been higher.

Then he met Meghan. And that was good. We liked Suits. Meghan was nice and attractive. So we liked Meghan.

But...the British Press are a nasty bunch, and they love to tell a story. Harry hates the press following the blame apportioned to them for Diana’s death. And whilst the bloodline to King will largely be left alone, the brother of the the to-be king is fair game.

The press then tore into Meghan about her treatment of her father. And every headline had a negative bias. Unfortunately, over here, that sells papers.

Harry and Meghan have had a Royal strop and want to go from being major royals to minor royals (fewer duties. Fewer constraints, less cash). Something like that anyway.

There are now two sides to the British public on this, it seems to be the way we operate now over here, nobody can be in the middle, must be extreme.

Side one. British press are a disgrace and racist, and the royal family don’t like Meghan because they too are racist.

Side two. Harry and Meghan want their cake and eat it. They want to be partially funded by the tax payer whilst selling themselves for commercial gain.

So...take your pick.

Personally, I can see both sides. I would however say that I don’t like the way people are using the race card. This exact same things happened to Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson. Hard to believe now, but Prince Andrew was once the one everyone liked. Good looking man when younger, ladies man (known as randy Andy), served in the military (falklands I think).

All a bit rushed and on my phone, sorry. But hopefully you get the gist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 06:52 AM   #8
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post

Everyone loved Harry. We all felt sorry for him as a lad following his mothers coffin in the public eye, and that created a bond with the British people.

Harry then turned into a bit of a lad, did stuff that royals aren’t supposed to do, and was a bit of a ladies man.

Harry then did military service and saw action, firmly establishing himself as favourite royal. To add to that he did a bunch of stuff like the Invictus games. His stock could not have been higher.

Then he met Meghan. And that was good. We liked Suits. Meghan was nice and attractive. So we liked Meghan.

But...the British Press are a nasty bunch, and they love to tell a story. Harry hates the press following the blame apportioned to them for Diana’s death. And whilst the bloodline to King will largely be left alone, the brother of the the to-be king is fair game.

The press then tore into Meghan about her treatment of her father. And every headline had a negative bias. Unfortunately, over here, that sells papers.

Harry and Meghan have had a Royal strop and want to go from being major royals to minor royals (fewer duties. Fewer constraints, less cash). Something like that anyway.

There are now two sides to the British public on this, it seems to be the way we operate now over here, nobody can be in the middle, must be extreme.

Side one. British press are a disgrace and racist, and the royal family don’t like Meghan because they too are racist.

Side two. Harry and Meghan want their cake and eat it. They want to be partially funded by the tax payer whilst selling themselves for commercial gain.

So...take your pick.

Personally, I can see both sides. I would however say that I don’t like the way people are using the race card. This exact same things happened to Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson. Hard to believe now, but Prince Andrew was once the one everyone liked. Good looking man when younger, ladies man (known as randy Andy), served in the military (falklands I think).

Nice post. Thanks.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 07:51 AM   #9
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:

So...take your pick.

Thanks!
Old 16 January 2020, 08:29 AM   #10
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:

So...take your pick.

Thanks for this. I was curious, but not to the point of finding out on my own.
Old 16 January 2020, 12:59 PM   #11
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great post and fun read thx for sharing. As a German living on the west coast I’m a it detached from good ol Europe
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:52 PM   #12
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So...take your pick.

This is quite nice journalism. Thanks for sharing.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 05:56 AM   #13
THC

Watch: 16610M
Careful, everyone ... lol
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 06:22 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Careful, everyone ... lol
Good point, though shouldn't the castle, like many in Europe, be made into a public museum so their citizens who paid for it get to enjoy it. Just seems weird that just because you are born into a family means you get preferential treatment in this day and age. Have enjoyed visiting many castles owned by 'rulers', and they're wonderful. Perhaps it's time England does the same as many other EU countries.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 06:32 AM   #15
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure I buy the racism angle either (aside from Phil the Greek, natch). Of course it’s possible especially as a lot of folk of the Queen’s generation can be unwittingly prejudiced but there’s no evidence for it. Also Liz isn’t stupid enough to ever let her facade slip to anybody who would tell tales.

It’s far more likely that Meghan is looked down on for being a commoner i.e. not a chinless, gormless member of the aristocracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Good point, though shouldn't the castle, like many in Europe, be made into a public museum so their citizens who paid for it get to enjoy it.
They’ve got quite a few castles

The biggest one, Windsor, is open to the public. Buckingham Palace is also partially available to tour.
Old 16 January 2020, 06:44 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
They’ve got quite a few castles

The biggest one, Windsor, is open to the public. Buckingham Palace is also partially available to tour.
Excellent point and yes as a youth toured a few, saw the Royal jewelry, etc. Sure the family members have 'a job' at visiting British companies and do the whole 'royal thing', yet perhaps it is time to slowly migrate away from that to a more modern society. No one voted them in as Royals or anything like that.

A nice solution would be to have citizens of England put it up for vote to continue, or to slowly migrate away and hand everything back to the people who paid for it all.

Am truly happy that the couple are choosing each other over continuing what i see as very outdated ways. Many countries have long moved away from such a structure.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 16 January 2020, 06:59 AM   #17
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A nice solution would be to have citizens of England put it up for vote to continue, or to slowly migrate away and hand everything back to the people who paid for it all.
The Queen has had a perfect reign, the royal family are very popular in the UK and would vote overwhelmingly to keep them, but it wouldn't take a lot for the public to turn, that's why it doesn't need any more upheaval.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 09:23 AM   #18
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
...They’ve got quite a few castles

I visited Warwick Castle in 1988 on a trip from the Colonies. Locked our keys in the rental and borrowed a wire hanger from a Castle Guard to break back into the car. My buddy took a picture of the whole crazy event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The Queen is clever. She knows how to manage this and Charles was going to cull the paid roles anyway when he's King...
I keep thinking the Queen will outlive Charles...

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 06:04 AM   #19
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

The French got it right.

There are ways to deal with all that blue blood stuff.

Hey look, it's not really blue.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 06:46 AM   #20
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Here’s my theory:
William was naughty. Meghan hung out to dry to divert press. Harry unhappy. Threatens to reveal who his Dad really is. Queen panics. Sends them fully-paid anywhere they like.
Old 16 January 2020, 06:53 AM   #21
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Megan can't take the scrutiny which comes with the territory marrying into the royal family, she would of been warned.

With the royal family you are either in or out, you toe the line and do your duty or you're out.

Watch the crown, it's fantastic.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 07:08 AM   #22
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent point and yes as a youth toured a few, saw the Royal jewelry, etc. Sure the family members have 'a job' at visiting British companies and do the whole 'royal thing', yet perhaps it is time to slowly migrate away from that to a more modern society. No one voted them in as Royals or anything like that.

Am truly happy that the couple are choosing each other over continuing what i see as very outdated ways. Many countries have long moved away from such a structure.
If I agree with you as vehemently as I want the thread might go down the pan. But The Joker is correct, there would only be one winner in a vote.
Old 16 January 2020, 07:50 AM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Good points, I'll bow out. Thanks for being patient with me.

Old 16 January 2020, 08:04 AM   #24
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 08:21 AM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
There's you answer Paul!

Fwiw, I think this is was all brilliantly timed and planned on H&M's part well before the wedding. If it was a traditional business move, it would be a solid case study on strategy.

It's also a win for the full time Royals if you take a step back and see the mutual benefits and opportunities.

The Queen is clever. She knows how to manage this and Charles was going to cull the paid roles anyway when he's King.

Kudos to all.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 08:30 AM   #26
Brew
"TRF" Member

Try as I might, I can't seem to muster the energy to give a hoot. Best wishes to the couple and their family.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 08:44 AM   #27
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Try as I might, I can't seem to muster the energy to give a hoot. Best wishes to the couple and their family.
This.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 08:46 AM   #28
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
I found this interesting:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tandards-royal

The Danny Baker thing was, um, something. If you don't know you are better off.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 09:31 AM   #29
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I found this interesting:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tandards-royal

The Danny Baker thing was, um, something. If you don't know you are better off.
Here in the US, we're lucky the press is unbiased and would never play favorites.
Old 17 January 2020, 10:44 AM   #30
Cesium137
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Here in the US, we're lucky the press is unbiased and would never play favorites.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote