The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2020, 09:17 AM   #151
stevec0
"TRF" Member

If anyone is interested, Mayors Aventura has a Stainless Day Date black dial and Air King in stock. Along with a slew of PM and diamond references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevec0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 09:28 AM   #152
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Welcome to the new world order. Sad as it is.
You may be correct. But I still don't get it.

Where does this sense of entitlement to a luxury good come from?

And the paradoxical fixation with hoping that the one they buy goes up in value?

I mean, how does this make any sense?

Do people in this echo chamber have a clue how this would sound to the average person?
Old 22 January 2020, 11:18 AM   #153
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
So I really don't get what many of the TRFers want.

Do you want to be able to walk into any AD and pick up any reference possible with minimal or low wait?

Or, do you want secondary market prices to stay strong?

Because you can't have both...

But I suspect many of us want the best of both worlds. Rolex to be unobtainable at retail, but still get the call.

Me personally, I don't care one bit about secondary prices. I own watches that might not sell for half of what I paid.
Exactly.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 08:33 PM   #154
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Do you want to be able to walk into any AD and pick up any reference possible with minimal or low wait?
Yes

Quote:
Or, do you want secondary market prices to stay strong?
Don't care.

Quote:
But I suspect many of us want the best of both worlds. Rolex to be unobtainable at retail, but still get the call.
And as you and I both know, for the vast majority of Rolex owners and those who would aspire to own one, that's ridiculous.

But that's people for you. We come in all shapes and sizes, and have diverse views of the world and our place in it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 08:41 PM   #155
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Yes

Don't care.

And as you and I both know, for the vast majority of Rolex owners and those who would aspire to own one, that's ridiculous.

But that's people for you. We come in all shapes and sizes, and have diverse views of the world and our place in it.

For better or for worse I love TRF. Such a diverse crowd.

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 08:59 PM   #156
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post

The big sea-change has been that while Rolex is still perceived as a high status luxury good to most people, esp on Insta, the actual ability to buy one is not one of a luxury good any more, ie as instant profits can be made anyone with a credit card or two can buy one without any financial hardship which thus makes this just a normal good/investment.

This unique twin dynamic, that even Patek doesn't have as their retails are too high for the typical credit card owner, is what is sustaining this hype.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 10:42 PM   #157
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

And the paradoxical fixation with hoping that the one they buy goes up in value?

Do people in this echo chamber have a clue how this would sound to the average person?
I do not have these answers.

No, it makes no sense, which is why trying to discuss watches on this forum has become very difficult.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:09 AM   #158
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
The sad sad current state of Rolex at Retail

Quote:
I am constantly amazed a the righteous indignation and entitled whining by those who purport to honestly believe that Rolex is obligated to increase production so that they can buy what they want, when they want, at the price they want. And also have their purchase hold value, if not appreciate as an "investment."

Where does this attitude come from?

The smug sense of self entitlement that pervades this forum?

Btw. Datejust. Probably the leader in it’s style of watch, price point. Versatility.

Not sure why this line is viewed with such disdain on this forum. It was good enough for Ike and Winston Churchill. As well as countless actors, artists and executives.

NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:23 AM   #159
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
The smug sense of self entitlement that pervades this forum?

Btw. Datejust. Probably the leader in it’s style of watch, price point. Versatility.

Not sure why this line is viewed with such disdain on this forum. It was good enough for Ike and Winston Churchill. As well as countless actors, artists and executives.

Most everyone in the world today acts entitled. Unfortunately just the times we’re in. But I’m sure most just want to be able to buy a Sub or GMT Master wIthout the games. We’re the exception here and collect multiple Rolex but many others are one and done and I don’t blame them if they don’t want a DJ. Much of it today is Rolex manufactured hype (they learned from the Daytona) sales process and secondly Rolex has routed many SS watches to the “hot” Chinese/HK market over the last 3-4 years. Other places they’ve somewhat avoided currency such as the GBP post unpegging of the Euro/Franc. The latter is a real reason this all started and is often overlooked here.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:32 AM   #160
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Entitlement seems to be the prevailing cultural zeitgeist at the moment.

I saw a survey published in the UK today that addressed this. Apparently (in the sample analysed) the careers that younger (but not exclusively young) people think they are entitled to do not match up with those jobs and careers that actually exist and need to be filled. So instead of becoming a development executive for a film studio at 25, you end up punching a till and waiting for your big break. This causes resentment.

Where are they getting this nonsense from? We never fed our kids this shit. Sure, we encouraged them to reach, sweat and go for it. Never take no for an answer, achieve goals and all that. Of course we did. And, in so far as was practical, we shared our own personal experiences as examples of what could be achieved (and sometimes what could not). But that's different. Who made all these people confuse day dreams with life?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:40 AM   #161
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Datejust. Not sure why this line is viewed with such disdain on this forum.
I haven't seen any disdain. It used to be the bracelet was a bit mature but everyone loves it now.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:14 AM   #162
exador
Banned

Quote:

Does walking into a Rolex store and asking to buy a watch you’ve seen on the Rolex website only to be told “Sorry, we can’t sell you one of those” make any sense?
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:29 AM   #163
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Does walking into a Rolex store and asking to buy a watch you’ve seen on the Rolex website only to be told “Sorry, we can’t sell you one of those” make any sense?
Yes.

And when the answer is you cannot buy it, you don't run to the internet to throw and e-tantrum and post conspiracy theories and malign secondary market sellers.

You move on with your life.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:46 AM   #164
Alastris
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree with this. Rolex is just reshaping their brand name and image. Nowadays you see 'average middle class joes' with a job in insurance or real estate rocking Rolex, because they can only afford SS sports models and took years to save up for it. I think the direction they want to take is to predominantly sell expensive pieces in precious metal, with a SS model available for PM customers.

It creates frustration because average middle class joe looks at the MSRP and feels it's within reach, when in reality the cost of admission is much higher.
Alastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:00 AM   #165
Paradox1
"TRF" Member

Watch: M79733N-0008
I’m still learning things here but have a question for those who immediately know the answer. If one were to visit an AD and order a SS Daytona, willing to probably wait well over a year, would they still be able to pay retail or are AD’s charging similar prices to what we see online and here in the sales forum?

I can only speak for myself but I’m finally at a place where I am looking to add a new Rolex to my small 2 Breitling watch collection but I’m considering a Datejust in 18k/SS, jubilee, fluted bezel and Wimbledon face. I’ve always liked and wanted a Daytona but the current markups have me being just as happy with my second favorite, the Datejust.
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:04 AM   #166
exador
Banned

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:12 AM   #167
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Yes.

And when the answer is you cannot buy it, you don't run to the internet to throw and e-tantrum and post conspiracy theories and malign secondary market sellers.

You move on with your life.
What’s so wrong with people actually expecting to be able to purchase what they see in ads? Imo those aren’t unrealistic expectations. I have plenty of Rolex myself so I have no skin in the game, but it’s kind of a misleading marketing practice. Even Patek has moved their generations campaign focus to ACs instead of Nautilus and Aquanauts. Rolex learned a lot from the Daytona hype it seems. Check out this GMT Master on the giant billboard Rolex says, then come in and buy a DJ. Let’s see how Rolex is going when the economy isn’t as robust and the DJ aren’t fresh off a revision. I imagine that’s when we’ll see updates to the full Sub line and the rest will look at lot more like 2016 displays again. It’s not really conspiracy that Rolex is strongly incentivized to recoup R&D from the 3235 development in the form of DJ sales. That’s why imo this is temporary.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:26 AM   #168
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I wish Rolex success in its quest to navigate this constantly evolving market.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:40 AM   #169
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
What’s so wrong with people actually expecting to be able to purchase what they see in ads? Imo those aren’t unrealistic expectations. I have plenty of Rolex myself so I have no skin in the game, but it’s kind of a misleading marketing practice. Even Patek has moved their generations campaign focus to ACs instead of Nautilus and Aquanauts. Rolex learned a lot from the Daytona hype it seems. Check out this GMT Master on the giant billboard Rolex says, then come in and buy a DJ. Let’s see how Rolex is going when the economy isn’t as robust and the DJ aren’t fresh off a revision. I imagine that’s when we’ll see updates to the full Sub line and the rest will look at lot more like 2016 displays again. It’s not really conspiracy that Rolex is strongly incentivized to recoup R&D from the 3235 development in the form of DJ sales. That’s why imo this is temporary.
Oh this is temporary alright.

Huge Rolex boutiques filled with a handful of lady datejusts can't go on forever. If barely any product is leaving the front door, just what exactly are Rolex selling?
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:41 AM   #170
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
"Mass Marketing Does Not Mean Mass Purchase"

The product promotion on Rolex website is to stoke brand awareness but that doesn't mean accessibility.

What's interesting is that the whole watch market is abuzz and infatuated with acquiring ROLEX and their sales are at stratospheric levels...

Other brands have limitless watches in stock in all their distribution channels, but oddly, no body talks about them (except grey marketers shilling a contrarian viewpoint to improve their margins)....why is that?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 04:43 AM   #171
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
"Mass Marketing Does Not Mean Mass Purchase"

The product promotion on Rolex website is to stoke brand awareness but that doesn't mean accessibility.

This is very well said and bears emphasizing. It makes absolutely no sense for people to link the two things together.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:03 AM   #172
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec0 View Post
If anyone is interested, Mayors Aventura has a Stainless Day Date black dial and Air King in stock. Along with a slew of PM and diamond references.

Stainless steel day date? That’s a new one on me
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:33 AM   #173
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
you may be correct. But i still don't get it.

💯
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 09:27 AM   #174
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Stainless steel day date? That’s a new one on me

I'm on the list for one at my AD. Should be here before my Daytona.
Old 23 January 2020, 05:05 PM   #175
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I'm on the list for one at my AD. Should be here before my Daytona.
So true
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:43 PM   #176
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Entitlement seems to be the prevailing cultural zeitgeist at the moment.

I saw a survey published in the UK today that addressed this. Apparently (in the sample analysed) the careers that younger (but not exclusively young) people think they are entitled to do not match up with those jobs and careers that actually exist and need to be filled. So instead of becoming a development executive for a film studio at 25, you end up punching a till and waiting for your big break. This causes resentment.

Where are they getting this nonsense from? We never fed our kids this shit. Sure, we encouraged them to reach, sweat and go for it. Never take no for an answer, achieve goals and all that. Of course we did. And, in so far as was practical, we shared our own personal experiences as examples of what could be achieved (and sometimes what could not). But that's different. Who made all these people confuse day dreams with life?
I hear you!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote