The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 January 2020, 11:18 AM   #1
austinp
"TRF" Member

Indoor Golf Simulator.

I know we have a bunch of golfers on TRF. Anybody set up a simulator in your house? I'm starting to research products. From netting, mats, projectors and launch monitors. It's a lot to learn. I would love some feedback. Pretty set on the Skytrac launce monitor. But haven't decided on software.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 11:40 AM   #2
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Put this one in my office gym https://rainorshinegolf.com/products...BoCGl4QAvD_BwE

and it’s pretty good for the price. Distance seems good but dispersion seems a little greater than out on the course. Ok if you’re more accurate on the course anyway. Only downside is the lag and the sensor also doesn’t pick up every shot when hitting off a tee. It’s great for irons, wedges and even hybrids or fairway woods however just so so for driving. I do like that it’s portable and you can take it to the range with you as well.

Got the full WGT package too and didn’t like it because I could never get used to the putting. Just adjusted it so everything was pretty much a gimme.

I see your SDSU logo. The office is in carlsbad if you’re nearby and want to try it out.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:39 PM   #3
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Put this one in my office gym https://rainorshinegolf.com/products...BoCGl4QAvD_BwE

and it’s pretty good for the price. Distance seems good but dispersion seems a little greater than out on the course. Ok if you’re more accurate on the course anyway. Only downside is the lag and the sensor also doesn’t pick up every shot when hitting off a tee. It’s great for irons, wedges and even hybrids or fairway woods however just so so for driving. I do like that it’s portable and you can take it to the range with you as well.

Got the full WGT package too and didn’t like it because I could never get used to the putting. Just adjusted it so everything was pretty much a gimme.

I see your SDSU logo. The office is in carlsbad if you’re nearby and want to try it out.
Very cool!
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:42 PM   #4
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I have actually been looking at this set up. Which mat did you choose? Does it feel fairly realistic? Does the skytrac stream the content to the projector or does it need HDMI?

Old 10 January 2020, 01:08 PM   #5
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I have actually been looking at this set up. Which mat did you choose? Does it feel fairly realistic? Does the skytrac stream the content to the projector or does it need HDMI?

We’re on our 3rd or 4th mat now and don’t remember exactly what one it is. The one that came with it didn’t last long and was very hard. We have rubber floor underneath it as well. The mat we have now has a rug thing underneath it to make it feel more realistic. I can ask the guys if they remember where they got this mat from.

Skytrak connects via wifi to an iPad and the iPad has an HDMI cord to the projector. If you want to take it to the range just take the skytrak and the iPad.
Old 10 January 2020, 02:09 PM   #6
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Indoor Golf Simulator.

Quote:

SkyTrak SwingBay Golf Simulator is definitely a Good One! I'm not seriously in the market for one but have looked around. Technology is getting faster and higher speed chips + 5G will close the gap in lag time soon!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 02:50 PM   #7
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
SkyTrak SwingBay Golf Simulator is definitely a Good One! I'm not seriously in the market for one but have looked around. Technology is getting faster and higher speed chips + 5G will close the gap in lag time soon!
Less lag would be awesome!

I’ll also add that it’s really really useful for club adjustment. I play a taylormade M3 and adjusting loft, weight and even different shaft weights is fun.

Also fun trying different irons. I play P790s and my buddy plays AP2s and I’m 10-15 yards longer on average with the P790s. Great program for gapping your clubs as well.
Old 11 January 2020, 01:16 AM   #8
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
My father-in-law and myself build a golf simulator this summer. We use EZ-tee poly as the mat in the floor and it's awesome you can place a tee right in it.

We got a trackman 4 as our device for tracking swing info / simulator software which can also be paired up with e6 golf simulator for more courses.

We built our own net using piping from home depot to set up the cage and then put netting over it. Projectors are the pain, hanging them and calibrating them correctly to the type of screen you have is a bit of a pain but we eventually got something we were happy with.

Either way as long as you're taking swings it will be worth it =)
mannyv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 03:40 AM   #9
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

I built my own simulator with galvanized pipe in the basement with netting and a custom screen for a Skytrak. Setting up a projector was a bit of a pain and in the end not entirely necessary since I'm only interested in the basic Skytrak range rather than full course simulation.

I went with a real feel mat but it can be really harsh on joints and might've turned me into a picker so I would suggest something from fiber built.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 01:15 AM   #10
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Trackman here. Make the investment into a Trackman, or Foresight. Otherwise don’t bother. Might as well play Wii golf.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 02:29 AM   #11
sickened1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
My wife's uncle built his own outdoor driving range.

sickened1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 02:48 PM   #12
Stayourself
"TRF" Member

I've never thought about it, but after I found this thread I decided I need it immediately.
Stayourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 10:24 PM   #13
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
Trackman here. Make the investment into a Trackman, or Foresight. Otherwise don’t bother. Might as well play Wii golf.
Man. For 20k it better be good.

Old 14 January 2020, 12:35 AM   #14
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:

It is =)
mannyv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 02:15 PM   #15
saturdayAMswingers
"TRF" Member

Happy to talk Foresight with anyone interested!
saturdayAMswingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 06:20 PM   #16
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Smarter to try out a initial setup with a 2k Skytrak then decide later whether or not to shell out 20k for some professional setup. I'd rather a Skytrak collect dust.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 10:16 PM   #17
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
Smarter to try out a initial setup with a 2k Skytrak then decide later whether or not to shell out 20k for some professional setup. I'd rather a Skytrak collect dust.
Agree

Old 15 January 2020, 06:33 AM   #18
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

It depends on what you want out of the data. If it is to keep you swinging the club during the off-season that is one thing.

If you are into all of the analytics and utilize it to your overall improvement of delivering your club head in a specific fashion and testing equipment set ups I wouldn’t rely on anything else other than a Trackman or Foresight system.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 07:27 AM   #19
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Buddy just did a custom home with a nice set up in garage. Trugolf is the unit he put in. This is a full size built in unit--like 15x20ft. It works well, but not like a trackman. I think he's 20K+ on his set up. You can play a bunch of different courses and different games so it is fun. Good to stay lose in the winter and provides some excitement doing it. I have not spent as much time on it as some of the homies as we have not had snow, so I am still playing outside!
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote