The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 July 2020, 04:00 AM   #31
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
We have a running joke that if you’re only working 12 hours a day you’re only working half days. Usually start around 6am and end whenever the work lets me. I was on a call Monday night with one of my clients at 1am his time 10pm my time. Last night I finished my last call around 10:30pm.

Really never turn off but block off time to get my workouts in and focus on family. The work life balance for me isn’t 8-5 with a bunch of free time. That would make me insane. For me its making sure you don’t get burnt out while staying on top of your health and spending quality time with the family. Now if I was doing 12+ hour shifts in the ICU right now I’m sure I would get burnt out.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 05:40 AM   #32
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I wouldn’t do your graveyard shift for $1M/yr. I give away at least 1/2 my calls to avoid a single overnight shift. Though it’s not clear that the shift is a problem for you. It seems like you don’t like the work and the people you work with. That’s something you can change.
I’m the opposite of a work-a-haulic and I chose a career and job that allowed me to practice the way I want and be done before 3 often. I’m happy to sacrifice more money for less time. If I owned a business and was trying to grow it, etc. it would make sense to work hard, long hours, 6-7 days a week. Killing yourself for someone else, nope.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:05 PM   #33
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Since beginning work from home 16 weeks ago it’s been 50-60 hours consistently. Travel accounted for many hours before but never really see that as work despite it being so.

Things are now calming down a little as we enter the summer period as many European counties are slowing down.

Our boy has been with us at home throughout, my wife also works, so effectively we have been working 3 people’s work between us taking care of him too, meaning many many late nights and not logging off until gone midnight. Then an hour watching something to unwind before bed, until our boy wakes up, then starting over again.

Need to get back to some fitness training time now though !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:27 PM   #34
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Burlington, that is intense man!
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:45 PM   #35
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I think it depends on your outlook.

I have been running my engineering business since 1983.

It has varied from days off to 15hr days.

But someone said ‘if you enjoy your work you won’t have to work a day in your life’.

E.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:52 PM   #36
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Can’t relate.

I’m up and working everyday at 5:00. Work until about 9:30 every night.

Granted, I fit gym and other things on the middle. But I’m always on. Checking and responding to email and phone calls.

I like it this way. I prefer it. But I do mix personal into it. I just make sure I am “on” at all times.

Likewise. I’ve always done this. My wife moans about being too busy and stressed because she can’t cope with everything she has to do. And yet she starts at 8am and finishes at 4pm! Drives me nuts!

That said, we’re all different. For me it’s all about having a clear purpose and goal, and not about completing hours. When I have something to achieve, it’s easy to put the time in and it flies by. If however I had a job which was just cranking the handle and every day was Groundhog Day, 60hrs a week would be tough.

I’m also lucky enough that I can be flexible, so do the hours when my mind is working! If I get ‘writers block’ at 2pm and find myself just moving files around, then I can go for a round of golf and clear my head. I may then be at my desk from 6pm to 2am but it’s generally a more productive time for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 07:02 PM   #37
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloncap78 View Post
I was talking to my parents the other day about it and their response was “you’re lucky to have a job during these times”.
As a parent, I agree with your parents, in these times you are lucky to have a job. When some normalcy returns, then is a good time to have another look at your circumstances.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 09:32 PM   #38
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I worked like that from 1993 to 2014 .
22 years.
Age 24 to 45 .
1 week holiday a year ,most of the times.

It can be done .

...and then I decided its BS !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 01:23 AM   #39
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
I worked like that from 1993 to 2014 .
22 years.
Age 24 to 45 .
1 week holiday a year ,most of the times.

It can be done .

...and then I decided its BS !!
We need to talk about that one week holiday for that much dedication my friend.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 03:05 AM   #40
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I can see by some of the martyrs, and some of the others, that many have differing definitions of a balanced life.

But that’s always an individual opinion.

I have yet to see an epitaph in the cemetery saying, “was in the office 12 hours a day”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 03:27 AM   #41
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I can see by some of the martyrs, and some of the others, that many have differing definitions of a balanced life.

But that’s always an individual opinion.

I have yet to see an epitaph in the cemetery saying, “was in the office 12 hours a day”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol. I agree. Some hamsters are happy in their cage spinning and spinning, life is predictable that way. They never learned how to live off the hamster wheel.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 03:29 AM   #42
3 Putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Working a lot of hours and being happy are not mutually exclusive.
Old 17 July 2020, 04:20 AM   #43
RWH
"TRF" Member

Not sure what your age is but those were rookie numbers compared to when I was 18-21 I regularly worked 80+ hour weeks. I'm a workaholic though I have no issues with long hours because I was working for myself so that might make a difference. Now 10 years later I still sometimes do 20 hour days every now and then but definitely less frequent. I worked my ass off early so now I only work maybe on average 7-8 days out of the month. Hoping to be able to completely retire for good when I'm 40.

However if you are saying it is starting to affect your mental health then I would be in the reconsidering your job crowd. I was always happily working and I look forward to work so for me pulling long hours was not an issue.
RWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 06:00 AM   #44
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Attached Images
File Type: gif Time-vs-Money.gif (22.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 17 July 2020, 06:08 AM   #45
Uggi
Banned

It's not the hours OP - it's the job. 80 hours a week in a job you love is easier than 30 hours a week in a job you hate
In my experience.
Change your job and be happy. Good luck.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 06:45 AM   #46
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Eyes View Post
Burlington, that is intense man!

It’s been busy that’s for sure. Our boy is coming up to 2 now so needs to be watched constantly.

It’s been great spending so much time with him - almost like a second paternity leave, just with a stack of work around it.

Will miss it once he is back in kindergarten but he will benefit being around other kids now.

I’m lucky to enjoy my work immensely and it’s a job that makes a difference to many across Europe, especially right now, so pulling back wasn’t an option and have a team counting on some support. My wife and I also work together, so we have a partnership at home and the office which makes things easier.

I’m pleased we are heading into the summer slowdown now though as it’s been intense and can hopefully take a few days off and enjoy the sun and some more time at the beach :)

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 06:52 AM   #47
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
60+ hour workweeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloncap78 View Post
... I’m starting to feel like my mental health is more important than whatever this rabbit hole is that I’m going down.
Money is a necessity but if your mind, body and spirit are suffering in the pursuit of money, it is time to really look at what is most important in your life. IMHO

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 06:53 AM   #48
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Fact is, if you let yourself be a workaholic nobody is going to stop you. If you want to live an actual life, then YOU have to take the initiative to change things. You get one shot at life.....don’t waste it. Company recognition, titles, money, etc are great but don’t ever sacrifice things you can’t get back for it. Dates with the wife, kids practices, your health, fitness, hobbies, etc are what make life worth living. Oh and it’s one thing to always be “available” or “on” people. It’s entirely different to be strapped to a desk for 60-80hrs. I’ve done it too.......being the only one in the office at 2:30am isn’t where it’s at. To me, for those kind of hours you should be building your own business..... something I personally look forward to.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 07:08 AM   #49
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I subscribe to the philosophy of work smarter not harder. Now, sometimes working smarter requires working hard but I have found this often not the case. Working for the sake of working or for someone else to see you is a fools errand. If your job does not reward by the quality of your work but by the quantity of it then I would find a different path. When started my business I routinely put in 55-65 hours weeks put I always had a plan to move on from that. My goal was to never be the hamster in the wheel but to manage hamsters. My dad, a business owner himself, told me as a young man to "Work on my business not in my business." Now, with a young family providing for them is important but so is spending time with them. Just my view from the top of my mole hill.
Old 17 July 2020, 07:52 AM   #50
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

To the OP, over the course of my career I’ve always started to feel out of balance and “is it worth it?” when I do 60+ hours a week for longer than 4-6 weeks. The difference between 50 hours and 60 hours feels drastic to me on my mental health. I can do 50-55 forever. 60+ I start to lose myself

Is there a way to get a temporary break to less hours for a couple weeks so you can recharge your batteries?

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 10:26 PM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Have been working @ home for decades. It'd be nice to get it down to a 60 hour work week. 60 hours is only 4 days of work.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote