The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 February 2020, 04:28 AM   #1
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
5726A v 5712G

Hi TRF,

Quick question for you all, especially the current and/or previous owners of one or both of these two watches: which do you prefer and why? Why did you buy one over the other (if you bought one)?

Both are stealth pieces, but what I like most about the 5726A (grey dial) is: (a) its SS, and thus harder wearing (although I wish it was WG as I like the heft); (b) the annual calendar function, which looks fantastic in the Nautilus case; and (c) best of all, the pure symmetry and user friendliness of the dial. It's perfect: day, date, month, moon phase, and good lume. Its absolutely perfect.

What I like most about the 5712G is: (1) the WG case gives it some heft, which I prefer over SS, and the lack of bracelet means not having to worry about dinging up the bracelet; (2) the date/moonphase functionality on the dial (although, often question the requirement for a power reserve on an automatic); and (3) best of all, I love the 240 movement. I could look at that all day.

The only issue with the 5726A is the 24 hour display. I know why its there, but don't see a need for it. The only issue with the 5712 is the lack of dial symmetry (love/hate) and the lack of lume markers at 4-5-7. These are small niggles in otherwise near flawless watches.

For the 5726A owners, it is a very light watch? I have always found the PP SS pieces to be very light. I imagine with a leather strap, this would be a feather on the wrist.

Thoughts?

Best,
TA
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 12:11 PM   #2
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Yep, I had a 5726 on a strap - traded it off after about 6mos. For me I thought it was way too thick ( compared to 5711 or 12) also didn’t like alligator strap on sports watch.0n a bracelet for either 12 or 26 would be much better. If you could get a 5726 Blue , that would be great! Just my thoughts.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 12:27 PM   #3
yoast
"TRF" Member

IMO nautilus should be on bracelet. Also white gold is softer so its easy to ding the case.
Old 15 February 2020, 12:41 PM   #4
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Yep, I had a 5726 on a strap - traded it off after about 6mos. For me I thought it was way too thick ( compared to 5711 or 12) also didn’t like alligator strap on sports watch.0n a bracelet for either 12 or 26 would be much better. If you could get a 5726 Blue , that would be great! Just my thoughts.
Much appreciated. I watched a really useful comparison video by Watchbox (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NWs5yiJW6w), and it does look a lot thicker.

Did you find the 5726A heavier compared with a 5712/26 on a bracelet?? I like the fact that it is thicker and SS.

Yes, the blue is something else. The release of the blue dial seemed to send the rest of the range into price orbit. I get the sense the 5726A is an acquired taste due to color and strap.
Old 15 February 2020, 07:25 PM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

If you have the slightest doubt about a Nautilus on a strap I would stay clear of either.

Between the two I would pick the 5712G by a country mile for its asymmetric dial and its thinness.

Apart from its thickness I don't like the AC dial design of the 5726... For one I dislike the 24h ring in contrast color which I also don't need. The fact that it is interrupted by an outsized date doesn't help. Why can't they use the same font size for the date and the day and month windows? To me this dial lacks balance and looks like an arrangement of stuff that doesn't belong together, the only requirement being symmetry.

Not that they don't know better... The dial of the 5320 PC with a date ring w/o contrast color plus a little 24h window (instead of 24h ring in contrast color and interrupted by an outsized date window) is worlds above in my eyes.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 08:16 PM   #6
andyol1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
If you have the slightest doubt about a Nautilus on a strap I would stay clear of either.

Between the two I would pick the 5712G by a country mile for its asymmetric dial and its thinness.

Apart from its thickness I don't like the AC dial design of the 5726... For one I dislike the 24h ring in contrast color which I also don't need. The fact that it is interrupted by an outsized date doesn't help. Why can't they use the same font size for the date and the day and month windows? To me this dial lacks balance and looks like an arrangement of stuff that doesn't belong together, the only requirement being symmetry.

Not that they don't know better... The dial of the 5320 PC with a date ring w/o contrast color plus a little 24h window (instead of 24h ring in contrast color and interrupted by an outsized date window) is worlds above in my eyes.
The blue dial 5726 24 hr ring has no contrast. The date window matches the size of the hour indices. I think the blue dial totally changes the 5726 IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F63ED2E5-9C6D-4221-A8FF-8019E79ACFCE.jpeg (121.0 KB, 334 views)
andyol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 09:51 PM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyol1966 View Post
The blue dial 5726 24 hr ring has no contrast. The date window matches the size of the hour indices. I think the blue dial totally changes the 5726 IMHO.
This is the best SS Nautilus after 5711. It's beautiful AF.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 10:32 PM   #8
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
You really really love the 5726 huh?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 10:36 PM   #9
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks. Some interesting thoughts. Having experienced the 5320G in the flesh a few times, this is the one watch I could be persuaded to pursue, but for the price. It is my grail PP, and until it comes down to the $40k mark, its out of reach
Old 15 February 2020, 11:41 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
You really really love the 5726 huh?
Affirmative sir. The blue is a slightly different one and the whole layout is balanced.

That watch in the pic is calling out to me. Bring me home it said.
Old 15 February 2020, 11:50 PM   #11
andyol1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
You could be right, it is stunning in the flesh, although there is a lot of love for the asymmetrical/quirky 5712. I think with time the blue dial 5726’s popularity will grow. I remember a time when the 5712 was not particularly in favour and now its arguably as popular as the 5711.
andyol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 12:04 AM   #12
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyol1966 View Post
You could be right, it is stunning in the flesh, although there is a lot of love for the asymmetrical/quirky 5712. I think with time the blue dial 5726’s popularity will grow. I remember a time when the 5712 was not particularly in favour and now its arguably as popular as the 5711.
All boats rise with the tide bro.
Old 16 February 2020, 12:15 AM   #13
dragonliondog
"TRF" Member

I have 5712 1a and just bought my 5712g one month ago. both are my love with different styles
dragonliondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 12:50 AM   #14
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Thanks. Some interesting thoughts. Having experienced the 5320G in the flesh a few times, this is the one watch I could be persuaded to pursue, but for the price. It is my grail PP, and until it comes down to the $40k mark, its out of reach
That will take a while for sure...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 02:09 AM   #15
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That will take a while for sure...

Indeed! Fear not, I’m not waiting for such an event. I think it would be 10-20 years before the watch is at the $40k mark. Then again, you never know these days. It’s crazy to think an $85K piece can be picked up for $60k. That’s one hell of a drop.

I’m keen to see what happens with the 5726A grey pricing. I think almost all who want a 5726 want it with a bracelet and blue dial. The 5726A grey pricing is clearly lifted by the blue dial, but it’s only $15k over MSRP and there are quite a few about. Yes, $15k is a lot, but a 37% mark up is a lot less than other Nautilus watches. I think the grey dial, leather strap, and bulkier case, put off many. I don’t see a robust secondary market for the A, and think there are only two kinds of buyers: (1) those who really want the 5726A, which I think is small for the reasons mentioned above; and (2) those who want the full SS bracelet and have settled for a 5726A while they wait for the chance to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 February 2020, 05:27 AM   #16
bob101
"TRF" Member

5712 if you want a slim profile and lightweight, pretty much exact with 5711. 5726 is heftier, and thicker. If it has to be strap naut, personally I’d go for 5712R on strap, the rose gold is stunning and love the dial. If you really want steel, wait for a bracelet 5712 or for more profile, a 5726 with bracelet. Personally I think the best 5726 is the white dial version including the new blue one. Now prices have dropped a bit I don’t think the asking price for white dial naut 5726 is that unreasonable.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote