The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 July 2020, 03:12 AM   #1
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Gosh!!!! What a view!

Where I’m from I don’t see many Rolex watches on people, or AP or anything else that is more expensive

Twice I’ve seen a SS Royal Oak, but mostly just the bracelet and it shines like nothing else under the sun

Yesterday I was walking outside at a small shopping mall, and a gentleman was walking the opposite direction to me.

He was wearing a SS (looked like SS) watch on a black rubber bracelet. It looked like a thin watch, so I kept looking.

My gosh....

The bezel reflected light like crazy, and when he got closer, even the tiny indexes reflected tons of light.

Up close it looked like a Royal Oak.

I want to say that I may have finally understood why AP is more expensive that Rolex.

Rolex is nice, hefty, reliable, and bulletproof...

But I’ve never seen a Rolex shine as much as a AP RO.

Without exaggeration, I feel like the indexes on the RO reflected light almost as good as the fluted bezel on my Datejust!

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 04:03 AM   #2
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Certainly the way the facets on the bracelet catches the light is quite unlike anything else.

The octagonal RO/ROO design also provides multiple opportunities for the light to reflect.

I would say that Rolex tends to sparkle more than AP. Whereas AP catches a bigger reflection giving a series of discrete flashes of reflected light.

A bit like comparing brilliant cut vs. Emerald cut.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 04:26 AM   #3
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Certainly the way the facets on the bracelet catches the light is quite unlike anything else.

The octagonal RO/ROO design also provides multiple opportunities for the light to reflect.

I would say that Rolex tends to sparkle more than AP. Whereas AP catches a bigger reflection giving a series of discrete flashes of reflected light.

I fee like Rolex sparkles mostly from the bezel or polished center links on the bracelet

This far, I haven’t experienced a sparkle from indexes on a Rolex

But who knows!

Old 10 July 2020, 04:27 AM   #4
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post

I agree about discrete flashes of reflected like

Beautiful way to put it

Old 10 July 2020, 06:56 AM   #5
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

I think with AP and VC, the sharp highly polished indexes they use in many models tend to elevate the perceived quality of the dials a lot over Rolex’s. Patek typically uses slightly rounded indexes, which makes the effect less obvious. The same is true for Lange. But in all Four of these, the gap in quality becomes obvious fairly quickly up close. It would be hard to justify their positioning if that were not the case though...

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 07:07 AM   #6
phow
"TRF" Member

Being an owner of both SS Rolex and SS AP, I can honestly say no other SS model (that I have seen) reflects like the AP. Especially on the SS bracelet. I know the OP saw ROO on rubber, which is still very impressive, but the full SS RO is just next level in terms of wow factor.

I also love the VC Overseas but it is definitely more understated and the reflections from the brushed/polished surfaces are definitely better than Rolex but not quite at the level of AP. When I eventually pick up a VC OS, it's all about the blue dial for me :)
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:06 AM   #7
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phow View Post
Being an owner of both SS Rolex and SS AP, I can honestly say no other SS model (that I have seen) reflects like the AP. Especially on the SS bracelet. I know the OP saw ROO on rubber, which is still very impressive, but the full SS RO is just next level in terms of wow factor.

I also love the VC Overseas but it is definitely more understated and the reflections from the brushed/polished surfaces are definitely better than Rolex but not quite at the level of AP. When I eventually pick up a VC OS, it's all about the blue dial for me :)
I assure you that’s something to look forward to. The bracelet doesn’t have any pretensions of competing with the AP though. With its sharp inner angles, it shines through evocation of the manufacturing process more than it does in the light and the continuous curvature of the links makes for a much more homogeneous diffusion of surrounding light sources. The dramatic and very fetching staggered contrast you get from the flat surfaces of the RO bracelet that are all angled differently when worn is another philosophy entirely. I’d argue that’s a difference in design though rather than a difference in quality.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:09 AM   #8
bibbi
"TRF" Member

I hope you had a good sleep and have no longer such “problems”...
bibbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:38 AM   #9
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
I hope you had a good sleep and have no longer such “problems”...

Old 11 July 2020, 12:52 AM   #10
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
I’d argue that’s a difference in design though rather than a difference in quality.
Absolutely. I agree 100%. The OP just seemed to be focused on the light reflection/bounce of the AP RO which just isn't as present in the VC OS. There are elements of the VC that I like better than the AP and vice versa.

Both are amazing watches and I wouldn't say one is better than the other. But one definitely bounces light more than the other :)
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 09:45 PM   #11
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I fee like Rolex sparkles mostly from the bezel or polished center links on the bracelet

This far, I haven’t experienced a sparkle from indexes on a Rolex

But who knows!

Deconstructed Romans sparkle. A lot.

Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 11:35 PM   #12
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
AP’s definitely reflect light like no other watch. There are a lot of beveled edges to bounce light.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 01:56 AM   #13
Ragnarok
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3714 Portugieser
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Where I’m from I don’t see many Rolex watches on people, or AP or anything else that is more expensive

Twice I’ve seen a SS Royal Oak, but mostly just the bracelet and it shines like nothing else under the sun

Yesterday I was walking outside at a small shopping mall, and a gentleman was walking the opposite direction to me.

He was wearing a SS (looked like SS) watch on a black rubber bracelet. It looked like a thin watch, so I kept looking.

My gosh....

The bezel reflected light like crazy, and when he got closer, even the tiny indexes reflected tons of light.

Up close it looked like a Royal Oak.

I want to say that I may have finally understood why AP is more expensive that Rolex.

Rolex is nice, hefty, reliable, and bulletproof...

But I’ve never seen a Rolex shine as much as a AP RO.

Without exaggeration, I feel like the indexes on the RO reflected light almost as good as the fluted bezel on my Datejust!

Thoughts?

Yes, while at Irvine, I saw a gentleman with a blue dial watched that shined like nothing! Upon close inspection, it was a royal oak. But man, you could have seen it from the opposite side of the marking lot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 12:10 PM   #14
redmonds214
Banned

Huge fan of AP, when the line hits ......Good Lord.. imo RO bracelet is the nicest in the game.. can't wait to grab mine
redmonds214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 05:33 PM   #15
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Theres some shine off my ap diver, i was wondering about this a while ago. Are the bezel screws and hands white gold ?
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 10:24 PM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Gosh!!!! What a view!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleven View Post
Theres some shine off my ap diver, i was wondering about this a while ago. Are the bezel screws and hands white gold ?

I believe offshores get steel screws and white gold hands whereas royal oaks get gold screws and hands.
Old 21 July 2020, 05:42 AM   #17
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleven View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I believe offshores get steel screws and white gold hands whereas royal oaks get gold screws and hands.

Yes that’s correct

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote