The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 July 2020, 02:16 AM   #181
HedgeHogger
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-PAM-GS-Ω-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanxi View Post
Sorry and I certainly don’t want to offend anyone but I seriously don’t understand all the hype behind GS, I tried the snowflake once not to die stupid and ignorant as I was being hit by a heavy case of FOMO. The watch felt like the opposite of luxury more like FMCG, the case design is bulky and not elegant, the dial was not profound, no depth and completely sterile and the bracelet was the biggest disappointment I ever experienced in my life of watch lover...the bracelet has the looseness of a 1970s badly beaten up Rolex, I was not impressed at all! Seiko and GS are the Toyota and Lexus of the industry, good engineering, affordable and functional! For true luxury look elsewhere! Again very personal and own opinion, nothing against Japan on the contrary I love the culture and I travel there quite often both for business and holidays. I so wanted to like GS but it just doesn’t click...

I know I am not crazy because I have discussed this with other fellow watch enthusiasts who think the same...anyone out there also thinks GS is completely overrated?
You sure it wasn't a fake? This is the exact opposite of my experience with GS. I also make watches as a side hobby so I am used to looking at the details of a watch under magnification and the GS's I've inspected (and the one I own) have been essentially flawless. The clasps are the only part that lets them down.
HedgeHogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 02:25 AM   #182
HedgeHogger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
.... Again, Patek has never claimed Aquanauts to be paragons of haute horlogerie. ....
On the PP website there are many places where they self praise about their build quality, none of those have a footnote saying "this does not apply to the Aquanauts, or other models under $100K."
Old 15 July 2020, 02:31 AM   #183
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeHogger View Post
I also make watches as a side hobby so I am used to looking at the details of a watch under magnification and the GS's I've inspected (and the one I own) have been essentially flawless.

What power loupe do you use when working on watches?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 02:31 AM   #184
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
You sure it wasn't a fake? This is the exact opposite of my experience with GS. I also make watches as a side hobby so I am used to looking at the details of a watch under magnification and the GS's I've inspected (and the one I own) have been essentially flawless. The clasps are the only part that lets them down.
to be flawless doesn t doesn t mean perfect ( for me ) , TBH I really like to notice some imperfections on handmade stuff as the proof of human fabrication.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 02:43 AM   #185
HedgeHogger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfinger View Post
Inspired by the other thread on the quality of 5167a. I decided to give macro shots a try for my 5164a. I figured more efforts will be put it to a less "entry-level" model of Aquanaut.

I took time to align all three hands so that their back and sides could be seen on one shot.

To my surprise, all three hands have issues. Hour and minute hands sides seems unpolished and "stamped". Second hands just looked like painted by a three years old. Also for lume, i have two different shades of brightness for the numbers. No. 5 1 8 2 was much brighter than the rest

Let you gents judge by the pictures.

The part that disturbs me the most about these photos is it appears the center wheel pinion is not centered on the dial. I'm not sure if that is an illusion of perspective or not, but it sure looks that way in these photos.
Old 15 July 2020, 02:49 AM   #186
HedgeHogger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post

What power loupe do you use when working on watches?
I had to go check, I generally use from 1x to 6x, I do own a 10x but I hardly ever use it. I also wear my reading glasses that are +1.5, so not sure if that is a multiplicative or additive addition.
Old 15 July 2020, 03:26 AM   #187
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On the PP website there are many places where they self praise about their build quality, none of those have a footnote saying "this does not apply to the Aquanauts, or other models under $100K."

My point all along whether or not the watch in question is on the lower end of what that brand produces doesn’t matter when one prides itself as a the end all be all of watch brands....
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 09:43 AM   #188
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Tried it at the GS corner at Haneda airport in Tokyo (this February), I seriously wish for them it is not fake!
I have absolutely no complaints about finishing, indeed it is very crisp and clean. It is just the overall feel of the watch which feels more like a plain very entry level watch, didn’t get any depth from it and especially not from the dial that a lot of people seem crazy about, looked like a plastic dashboard (to be fair I didn’t experience it under different light conditions), the bracelet again was subpar in terms of rigidity and the clasp was not even worth mentioning. Again very personal opinion and perception. I love Japan and have huge respect for their craft, they are also great engineers, but I will leave luxury to Europeans! And to everyone saying that GS is not trying to be a luxury watch...well they are opening their biggest ever flagship store right across Patek Place Vendôme in Paris (the heart of world luxury retail) meaning that they definitely want to be associated with luxury!
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 06:12 PM   #189
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanxi View Post
Tried it at the GS corner at Haneda airport in Tokyo (this February), I seriously wish for them it is not fake!
I have absolutely no complaints about finishing, indeed it is very crisp and clean. It is just the overall feel of the watch which feels more like a plain very entry level watch, didn’t get any depth from it and especially not from the dial that a lot of people seem crazy about, looked like a plastic dashboard (to be fair I didn’t experience it under different light conditions), the bracelet again was subpar in terms of rigidity and the clasp was not even worth mentioning. Again very personal opinion and perception. I love Japan and have huge respect for their craft, they are also great engineers, but I will leave luxury to Europeans! And to everyone saying that GS is not trying to be a luxury watch...well they are opening their biggest ever flagship store right across Patek Place Vendôme in Paris (the heart of world luxury retail) meaning that they definitely want to be associated with luxury!
Snowflake is in my opinion not a good watch to judge GS. I have the same feeling as you when I hold a snowflake, it doesn't have that hefty quality feel.

Ti is not my preferred material when it comes to dressy watches, maybe fine in a big sporty watch, but it just feels flimsy to me in general, doesn't matter which brand makes them, same goes for ceramic.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 07:25 AM   #190
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Snowflake is in my opinion not a good watch to judge GS. I have the same feeling as you when I hold a snowflake, it doesn't have that hefty quality feel.

Ti is not my preferred material when it comes to dressy watches, maybe fine in a big sporty watch, but it just feels flimsy to me in general, doesn't matter which brand makes them, same goes for ceramic.
Agree. Tried the Showflake recently and was not fully impressed. Not as nice as photos and TI made it too light and "flimsy" for my liking. However, I also tried the Skyflake (SBGA407) which for me did "pop" a lot more with the light blue dial and it also had a much more satisfying "heft". GS movement finishing on the automatic spring drive looks clean but feels very machine made and a bit "flat", not even close to the likes of JLC and IWC, and in a very diffrent league to VC, PP, ALS etc. However, at its price point I feel the Skyflake on balance represents excellent value due to the high quality of dial, hands and case finishing. I would have preferred movement finishing more in the style of the manual wind spring drive in SBGY003 which while still mostly machine finished has more aesthetic depth.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:01 PM   #191
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
Agree. Tried the Showflake recently and was not fully impressed. Not as nice as photos and TI made it too light and "flimsy" for my liking. However, I also tried the Skyflake (SBGA407) which for me did "pop" a lot more with the light blue dial and it also had a much more satisfying "heft". GS movement finishing on the automatic spring drive looks clean but feels very machine made and a bit "flat", not even close to the likes of JLC and IWC, and in a very diffrent league to VC, PP, ALS etc. However, at its price point I feel the Skyflake on balance represents excellent value due to the high quality of dial, hands and case finishing. I would have preferred movement finishing more in the style of the manual wind spring drive in SBGY003 which while still mostly machine finished has more aesthetic depth.
Micro Artist Studio spent a year training the Shiojiri studio on finishing techniques, the incoming newer GS will have better finishing than the current machine finished movements, but unfortunately at a higher price point.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 04:29 AM   #192
nikloer
Banned

Watch: 5167A
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfinger View Post
So I should expect Grand Seiko a watch which is 83% cheaper to have better finishing?

Sent from my SM-G9750 using Tapatalk
Well, yes.
nikloer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 05:43 AM   #193
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
to be flawless doesn t doesn t mean perfect ( for me ) , TBH I really like to notice some imperfections on handmade stuff as the proof of human fabrication.
i agree but the hands of the aquanauts are surely not hand-made. those are machine-made imperfections which are less nice.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 05:44 AM   #194
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i agree but the hands of the aquanauts are surely not hand-made. those are machine-made imperfections which are less nice.
i guess the problem of the OP not the manufacturing process rather the lack of polishing and the QC.

how r u my great friend ?All fine ?

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 02:08 AM   #195
Sulituan
"TRF" Member

Where is the OP actually?
Sulituan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 08:16 AM   #196
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
this thread first world problems af
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 10:12 AM   #197
Offline99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5164a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulituan View Post
Where is the OP actually?

Assassinated by Thierry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Offline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 10:52 PM   #198
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
Quite. Wondering about the build quality at 10 x macro. "I found a hairline underneath the seconds hand, and am pissed off about it."
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 06:59 AM   #199
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Quite. Wondering about the build quality at 10 x macro. "I found a hairline underneath the seconds hand, and am pissed off about it."
Not good, hard to un-see
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 08:10 AM   #200
rayshipley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
This is a Patek Discussion Forum so...
rayshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 09:31 PM   #201
HedgeHogger
"TRF" Member

I wish the original photos had not been taken down... there was something wrong about that example. The center wheel pinion was not centered on the dial, which would normally lead me to think it was a fake. Would have liked to seen more shots from other angles.
Old 2 August 2020, 08:22 PM   #202
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wish the original photos had not been taken down... there was something wrong about that example. The center wheel pinion was not centered on the dial, which would normally lead me to think it was a fake. Would have liked to seen more shots from other angles.
I still see the original pictures, unlikely to get more pictures as OP wanted to close this thread down.
Old 2 August 2020, 08:34 PM   #203
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
I still see the original pictures, unlikely to get more pictures as OP wanted to close this thread down.
Same for me.

if i look at my 64, I have even lume and none of the problems addressed by OP.
Old 2 August 2020, 08:52 PM   #204
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
same for me.

If i look at my 64, i have even lume and none of the problems addressed by op.

+1
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 10:34 PM   #205
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

I think they changed the colour of the lume, older versions like my 5167 have a greenish tint and newer models are more white. Perhaps a few during the transition period could have a mixture of both, but not likely as it would standout.

My own view is they used some of the old greenish numerals left over on demo/sample models and that what the reviewer had in the video on the other thread.
Old 3 August 2020, 01:35 AM   #206
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
Same for me.

if i look at my 64, I have even lume and none of the problems addressed by OP.
Same, had mine on yesterday and lumed up and nothing jumped out, obviously the lume is not as good as with other brands but it was fine enough.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 06:06 AM   #207
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

I think my 5167 is positively radioactive, glow’s strong and all night.
Old 3 August 2020, 07:14 AM   #208
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
I think OP's timepiece is a rare case for Patek. I've heard similar stories for Rolex, but none of my timepieces, from both brands, had quality control issues...
0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 07:34 AM   #209
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzhenghao View Post
I think OP's timepiece is a rare case for Patek. I've heard similar stories for Rolex, but none of my timepieces, from both brands, had quality control issues...
Not a rare case. Several pictures in other threads showing issues, particularly with white painted hands. My 5205G has similar issues, which were quickly spotted when I took it for my own personal macro photoshoot I do for my new additions. Why they would leave the factory with such obvious issues is anyone's guess.

As others have stated before, the true reality of PP finishing falls short of brand perception. Maybe not every piece has these issues, but isn't that what quality control is for? Still make some beautiful pieces, though...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 05:03 PM   #210
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

The OP’s watch looks normal and is looking good, to check your own watch you will need good eyesight and a decent 6x loupe or better. The Patek branded loupe they use in the AD and give to “some” good customer’s is only 1.5x.