The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2020, 04:54 AM   #1
Bobby T
Banned

Which is Harder to Get - Part II

So, it was quite apparent that amongst the 3 highly sought after SS Sport Model Watches.......Daytona, Aquanaut and Nautilus, Nautilus was the clear choice as to the most difficult to attain at retail price from an AD.. Knowing that to be true, how much of a time difference do you believe there is as well as how many more hoops does one have to jump through to get a Nautilus versus a Daytona or Aquanaut???

Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 05:15 AM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

There is no general answer to this question as it will be very AD specific. You should talk to some ADs if you want any of those pieces. War stories of others will mean next to nothing when it comes to how long you will have to wait or which hoops you have to jump through.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 05:58 AM   #3
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
I tried to get a Daytona from my AD but they wouldn’t even let me wait. So I asked for an Aquanaut on a bracelet and that arrived in 11 months. But that order was put in when Aquanauts for still 20000 usd brand new at grey. Which was early 2018 I guess.

I still want a White Daytona and 5711/12 (can’t decide which) but am currently waiting for a 5164.
It’s frustrating to be a genuine collector that just cannot get hold of what they want.

My first interest in watches was over 10 years ago and still struggle to get pieces. Then I’ll see some knob on you tube that as a BLRO, Daytona white, blue skyD, hulk, seaD, Batman and says “I’ve built this collection over the last 3 years of being a watch enthusiast”

What?! I have been waiting for just a Daytona for 4 years haha.

It really depends on luck sometimes I guess. And of course spends

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 06:22 AM   #4
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
There is no general answer to this question as it will be very AD specific. You should talk to some ADs if you want any of those pieces. War stories of others will mean next to nothing when it comes to how long you will have to wait or which hoops you have to jump through.
I own these watches....I was just curious as to what others have/had gone through, in terms of wait times and purchases, in order to get their hands on these watches at retail.
Old 7 July 2020, 08:45 AM   #5
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
I got my 5711 after 2 years wait, and this was with a good relationship. I guess it depends on the ratio of AD to wealthy individuals and how you rank. NYC/London/LA you can almost forget about getting it in a reasonable time unless you are ready to spend 2+ million. FYI I have a buddy who is getting the 5726 nautilus, this will be his 4th Patek. He had to buy 2 less desirable models and a ladies watch to get on the list (1 year wait).
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 08:53 AM   #6
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
I tried to get a Daytona from my AD but they wouldn’t even let me wait. So I asked for an Aquanaut on a bracelet and that arrived in 11 months. But that order was put in when Aquanauts for still 20000 usd brand new at grey. Which was early 2018 I guess.

I still want a White Daytona and 5711/12 (can’t decide which) but am currently waiting for a 5164.
It’s frustrating to be a genuine collector that just cannot get hold of what they want.

My first interest in watches was over 10 years ago and still struggle to get pieces. Then I’ll see some knob on you tube that as a BLRO, Daytona white, blue skyD, hulk, seaD, Batman and says “I’ve built this collection over the last 3 years of being a watch enthusiast”

What?! I have been waiting for just a Daytona for 4 years haha.

It really depends on luck sometimes I guess. And of course spends
Those guys probably didn’t build their collections via ADs at list price? With a matching bankroll you could get that exact same collection by tomorrow through LW on Grev Ture.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 09:23 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by karasus View Post
I got my 5711 after 2 years wait, and this was with a good relationship. I guess it depends on the ratio of AD to wealthy individuals and how you rank. NYC/London/LA you can almost forget about getting it in a reasonable time unless you are ready to spend 2+ million. FYI I have a buddy who is getting the 5726 nautilus, this will be his 4th Patek. He had to buy 2 less desirable models and a ladies watch to get on the list (1 year wait).
Seems much less expensive simply to go gray....

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:17 AM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Once you cross a magical line with your AD, you can get all these 3 watches in no particular order. The sports Pateks, in theory, have longer waiting time because their production numbers are less than the Daytona.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 03:48 PM   #9
Denvertimeguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
Those guys probably didn’t build their collections via ADs at list price? With a matching bankroll you could get that exact same collection by tomorrow through LW on Grev Ture.
Things have been crazy lately and going against everything people have told me... I’m 29, tattooed and was told I would have little luck at AD’s... well I’ve had luck with 3 since February this year when I started collecting and have already received a Batman (declined one from another AD also), TT SD43, Bluesy, and date sub all within 5 months. Batman was 2 weeks after a 6k purchase on vacation for the fiancé, SD was on the spot last Monday, and Bluesy is being delivered Monday and took 5 mins after sending the AD that had the SD my “list”... so at this point I honestly believe it’s just the relationship between client and SA.....???
Denvertimeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 06:58 PM   #10
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Never understand these threads, there is no standard answer, all that matters is how long ‘you’ have to wait for the piece you want and that is all about your AD and your relationship with them, no more - no less!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 07:40 PM   #11
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Never understand these threads, there is no standard answer, all that matters is how long ‘you’ have to wait for the piece you want and that is all about your AD and your relationship with them, no more - no less!
That argument can be applied to every single thread in the entire forum. What’s the point of discussing the merits of watches, all that matters is how ”you” feel about the watch. No more, no less

Gee, if only all of these threads could be gathered in a place where those interested could discuss the subject and exchange their personal experiences. Perhaps a web-based forum of some kind.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:34 PM   #12
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Seems you don’t understand the point of message boards and forums in general. The exchange of thoughts, ideas, information, experiences, etc., on any given subject, is the point of this thread and all others......no more, no less!
Old 8 July 2020, 12:01 AM   #13
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Quote:
Yeah but he had just said “don’t pay over retail” so I guess they just bought tons of gold models hehe.
LW have a massive selection. No idea who pays those crazy prices though.
They also list unworn pieces that clearly have been scratched up and used.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 02:45 AM   #14
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I hope there isn't a part III to this lame thread.
myporsche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 03:23 AM   #15
rayshipley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
How many of these threads are about status vs. appreciation of horology? Too many I’m afraid.
rayshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 04:20 AM   #16
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayshipley View Post
How many of these threads are about status vs. appreciation of horology? Too many I’m afraid.
Your insights are much appreciated........thanks for sharing!!
Old 8 July 2020, 04:21 AM   #17
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
I was kind of hoping there'd be no more lame comments but, there you are!!
Old 8 July 2020, 04:24 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The number of hoops to jump through is clearly AD specific.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 04:36 AM   #19
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
The biggest dummy is you for doubling down on your original post. Hopefully it gets washed away soon from the sea of millions of other similar posts.
myporsche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:55 AM   #20
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That argument can be applied to every single thread in the entire forum. What’s the point of discussing the merits of watches, all that matters is how ”you” feel about the watch. No more, no less

Gee, if only all of these threads could be gathered in a place where those interested could discuss the subject and exchange their personal experiences. Perhaps a web-based forum of some kind.
Quote:
Seems you don’t understand the point of message boards and forums in general. The exchange of thoughts, ideas, information, experiences, etc., on any given subject, is the point of this thread and all others......no more, no less!
I think I understand perfectly, asking a question that has no answer is in my opinion pointless. I can tell you how long I have to wait for a piece but that has no bearing on how long someone else will have to wait and vice versa.

Discussing the merits of a particular piece is of course not pointless and gathering opinions on something where others input can bring greater knowledge has great meaning and adds to the forum.
Old 8 July 2020, 09:02 AM   #21
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
I think I understand perfectly, asking a question that has no answer is in my opinion pointless. I can tell you how long I have to wait for a piece but that has no bearing on how long someone else will have to wait and vice versa.

Discussing the merits of a particular piece is of course not pointless and gathering opinions on something where others input can bring greater knowledge has great meaning and adds to the forum.
Totally agree with your second point..........as far as asking a question that has no answer.............of course there's an answer!!!! I was searching for everyone's individual experience in trying to obtain these timepieces at retail and what it took to get there. I was never looking for a finite wait time answer or how much one needs to spend. I know what it took for me....was interested in others........yours tooo, btw nothing more than sharing experiences and my own curiosity.........
Old 8 July 2020, 09:12 AM   #22
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Totally agree with your second point..........as far as asking a question that has no answer.............of course there's an answer!!!! I was searching for everyone's individual experience in trying to obtain these timepieces at retail and what it took to get there. I was never looking for a finite wait time answer or how much one needs to spend. I know what it took for me....was interested in others........yours tooo, btw nothing more than sharing experiences and my own curiosity.........
Ok, well happy to share my experience of getting my first Patek - I waited patiently for 8 years.
Old 8 July 2020, 09:23 AM   #23
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
I own these watches....I was just curious as to what others have/had gone through, in terms of wait times and purchases, in order to get their hands on these watches at retail.
Please share your experience on the 3 timepeices that you own..^^^..

How long did you wait for the 5711,5167, and D500......??

And don't forget to post a picture of the three awesome timepieces that you own......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 09:55 AM   #24
mrscuderia
Banned

Watch: ing the market
Quote:
It's ok I made a similar thread and was ridiculed by 85% of the commentators
mrscuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:10 AM   #25
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:57 PM   #26
WWC
"TRF" Member

3 weeks wait for the 5167a and 14 months for the 5712/1A.

No prior relationship with the AD. Only bought these two watches and never had to buy any slow moving pieces.
Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | DEEPSEA 126660 | Explorer 214270 | GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | GMT Master II VTNR 126720 | Submariner LV 16610 | Sky-Dweller 326139 | Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote