The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 July 2020, 11:17 AM   #1
blabus
"TRF" Member

What is the 5711/1R actually trading for?

I've long wanted a 5711/1R rose gold Nautilus. They generally list on Chrono24 for $85k+, but I've heard many people say that Chrono24 prices are not indicative of what pieces are actually selling for, and are instead inflated by gray dealers to try to pump up the overall perceived value of said pieces. If that's true, can anyone share insight into what the 5711/1R is actually going for? Can they be had for $75k? $65k? lower? Or is there really a market for the watch at $85k-90k? I realize the waitlist is quite long for them as with many other Nautiluses, but there is a lot of other interesting stuff to look at once you're in the ~$100k price range.
blabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 02:25 PM   #2
michael23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabus View Post
I've long wanted a 5711/1R rose gold Nautilus. They generally list on Chrono24 for $85k+, but I've heard many people say that Chrono24 prices are not indicative of what pieces are actually selling for, and are instead inflated by gray dealers to try to pump up the overall perceived value of said pieces. If that's true, can anyone share insight into what the 5711/1R is actually going for? Can they be had for $75k? $65k? lower? Or is there really a market for the watch at $85k-90k? I realize the waitlist is quite long for them as with many other Nautiluses, but there is a lot of other interesting stuff to look at once you're in the ~$100k price range.
I believe for a brand new full set 5711/1R, the price on the grey market is around $90k USD.
michael23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 03:19 PM   #3
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
If you try to sell a 5711/r to a dealer, they will most likely ask to sell it on consignement. 70k-90k is a lot of cash for them to risk. Most usually charge 5-15% of sales price. How fast it will sell will vary quite a bit.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:03 PM   #4
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My experience is the actual selling price is always quite a bit below what you see on Chrono24.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 05:58 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't think many serious greys are going to do you a good deal on these, these were hot before Covid and the greys will be ready to wait and look to get back to that now the crisis is over in most places. Same for all the hot pieces.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:31 AM   #6
blabus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't think many serious greys are going to do you a good deal on these, these were hot before Covid and the greys will be ready to wait and look to get back to that now the crisis is over in most places. Same for all the hot pieces.
So you're saying the asking prices on Chrono24 for this watch are actually what they're selling for, rather than being inflated?
blabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 12:37 PM   #7
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
My experience is the actual selling price is always quite a bit below what you see on Chrono24.
I have never bought from that website, but I tend to agree that some asking prices on their are high and I bet lots of negotiations happen.
Old 11 July 2020, 12:51 PM   #8
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
I also agree Chrono24 prices are higher than actual selling price
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 12:58 PM   #9
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestucker View Post
I also agree Chrono24 prices are higher than actual selling price

+1. Their prices are way high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 07:15 PM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
So you're saying the asking prices on Chrono24 for this watch are actually what they're selling for, rather than being inflated?
There will be some movement, but for example the big UK grey, Watchfinder, wanted £85-90K for a newish one in Dec, highest advertised price was well over £100K at one point, and offered to buy mine at a very good price, so now a few months later and they are not going to be asking £60-70K, a new one is still over £90K, esp while this could be the bottom before the resilient luxury watch market moves up again. If demand fails to return by next year then smaller illiquid greys will be running out of time and will be more flexible.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:18 AM   #11
Reign
"TRF" Member

I would agree with $90k being trading price for a new one.

A grey I follow moved one at list of $81k for a pre owned but immaculate condition. Assuming there’s some room to move, I’d guess that one was moved between $75k-$81k

Very reputable Greys like watches.de will likely command closer to $100k list
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:54 AM   #12
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
I have never bought from that website, but I tend to agree that some asking prices on their are high and I bet lots of negotiations happen.
Neither have I, but the Pateks I bought from my trusted grey is always lower than what I see on Chrono24.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 08:01 AM   #13
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
There will be some movement, but for example the big UK grey, Watchfinder, wanted £85-90K for a newish one in Dec, highest advertised price was well over £100K at one point, and offered to buy mine at a very good price, so now a few months later and they are not going to be asking £60-70K, a new one is still over £90K, esp while this could be the bottom before the resilient luxury watch market moves up again. If demand fails to return by next year then smaller illiquid greys will be running out of time and will be more flexible.
Those watches are not moving. I don't think they will offer you the same if you asked for a quotation again
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote