The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 September 2015, 01:41 AM   #1
Speed
"TRF" Member

Any experience with Zenith El Primero 1969 Chrono?

I know the movement's reputation and the history with Daytona...

Wondering if anyone can speak to the quality, fit & finish of this Zenith watch itself? I have yet to see one in the metal, though I have seen some similar models.

I know they don't retain value as well as Rolex - what does? - but like the styling and 38mm size of this model. Hate the brown band...would have to switch out for black...but other than that, I am really liking it.

https://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-...ic-chronograph
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2015, 02:00 AM   #2
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
It gets a lot of love on WUS, and it looks nice. The movement is great and obviously has passed the test of time. I've only seen one in a display case once but didn't have time to try it on. I think if you can get one in the 4k range (preowned), it's a good buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2015, 02:09 AM   #3
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
It gets a lot of love on WUS, and it looks nice. The movement is great and obviously has passed the test of time. I've only seen one in a display case once but didn't have time to try it on. I think if you can get one in the 4k range (preowned), it's a good buy.

Thanks Steve.

Yes. I was thinking pre-owned. A Trusted seller was estimating more like $5K... but that's in the zone.

I don't have a hi beat movement...this would be cool from that perspective as well.
Old 6 September 2015, 10:21 AM   #4
maiko
"TRF" Member

I think it's my next Zenith. Tried on the 42mm model of that watch (model called 36,000VPH) and it wears very much bigger than my 42mm El Primero Captain Chronograph because it has such beefy lugs. I still need to try one on in 38mm but i am hoping it wears similar to a 40mm Rolex, which is about perfect for me.
maiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2015, 11:11 AM   #5
Speed
"TRF" Member

I like my Speedy - 42mm - but would love this size in a Chrono. I've been eyeing vintage Heuers. These are 36mm. More expensive now than the new Zenith.

Choices!?!
Old 8 September 2015, 02:52 AM   #6
Speed
"TRF" Member

Hmm. So not too many TRFers with hands on experience with Zenith?
Old 8 September 2015, 07:17 AM   #7
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Thanks Steve.

Yes. I was thinking pre-owned. A Trusted seller was estimating more like $5K... but that's in the zone.

I don't have a hi beat movement...this would be cool from that perspective as well.

To me it's an iconic Zenith look in a more wearable size. The lugs on the 42mm versions are so long my wrist just doesn't handle it. I've had good luck with my Panerai 121 which has the same movement. Just have to be patient really. Probably not many in the wild.

Old 8 September 2015, 08:08 AM   #8
maiko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To me it's an iconic Zenith look in a more wearable size. The lugs on the 42mm versions are so long my wrist just doesn't handle it. I've had good luck with my Panerai 121 which has the same movement. Just have to be patient really. Probably not many in the wild.

Agreed that the lugs make them wear much bigger than their size would suggest. While the lugs are long, it's really their shape that make them seem so big. A side-profile shot of the lugs shows this pretty well.

As for the OPs question re quality, I would expect this model to be no different than other modern Zenith EP models in that area--top notch quality inside and out.

I'm a big fan of Zeniths deployant clasps for their leather straps. I think their modern bracelets look great but are not quite up to Rolex quality.

Picture or my 42mm EP Chronograph below, which has much thinner and rounded lugs than the 42mm tricolor.
Old 8 September 2015, 08:29 AM   #9
Speed
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I'm sold on the size. I did manage to see another El Primero with the cut out dial. Pretty sweet...but at 42mm, it felt large.

Love that white dial EP Maiko!

Yes. Never seen one in the wild. That's part of the attraction really.

A black gator or a perforated black racing strap would have to replace that brown stock strap.
Old 8 September 2015, 08:45 AM   #10
maiko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm sold on the size. I did manage to see another El Primero with the cut out dial. Pretty sweet...but at 42mm, it felt large.

Love that white dial EP Maiko!

Yes. Never seen one in the wild. That's part of the attraction really.

A black gator or a perforated black racing strap would have to replace that brown stock strap.

Looks like you're ready to pull the trigger...let's see some pics soon!

Like your thinking on strap choices. There's a thread on the Zenith forum WuS comparing strap options for this watch.

The EP I just posted is actually silver sunburst dial, which I think is the same as the 1969. Different lighting conditions produce some pretty drastic differences between creamy white and brilliant metallic.
Old 8 September 2015, 10:30 AM   #11
ck1109
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many...
I have the Zenith 1969. Owned mine for ~1 year now and love it. I don't think I will ever sell/flip it. I have skinny wrists and the 38mm size is perfect.
Between 4.5-5k is a good price for new and you will not see a lot of depreciation. I believe joma has them at 4.7k new as part of their labor day sale.
I purchased mine from Topper jewelers, they were great to deal with and prices were competitive.

The movement is non-hacking which may take some time to get used to (or if you have a speedy, you're probably already familiar). Timekeeping for me has been great as well.
The leather strap + deployant is amazing as well, one of the best straps out there. It has a rubberized lining on the underside, so you'll have no problems wearing it even in the summer.
And oh, its a 19mm lug size - not ideal for aftermarket straps.

Some pics:

ck1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 11:09 AM   #12
maiko
"TRF" Member

Ck---looks great! How do you think it "feels" size-wise compared to your Daytona or other 40mm Rolex?
Old 8 September 2015, 11:34 AM   #13
Speed
"TRF" Member

That looks great on you. $4.5-5k new? Hmm. That's much lower than I thought.

Thanks for the tip on the mutant strap size. That's one way to make you buy OEM. I like the Black Gator on the larger Zeniths. I better investigate options ahead of any purchase..
Old 8 September 2015, 11:54 AM   #14
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Big fan of the El Primero. I own both the true-color in 42mm and the 410 Triple calendar. Both wear large for their size so I suggest trying on the 38mm which is pretty much a duplicate of the vintage and classic A386. The movement is small for the case size of 42 but looks right at home at 38mm. Hacking, finished nicely, very accurate, and nice depth to the architecture. Great value for the price too.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 12:00 PM   #15
Speed
"TRF" Member

Speaking of Price...MSRP with strap is $8600 I see.

It it really possible to get one new - from a good source - for $5k? That's 40% off. I can't believe I am talking discounts. :-/
Old 8 September 2015, 12:35 PM   #16
cervantes
"TRF" Member

25-30% sounds more realistic. But resale will be weak.
Old 8 September 2015, 04:55 PM   #17
ck1109
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiko View Post
Ck---looks great! How do you think it "feels" size-wise compared to your Daytona or other 40mm Rolex?
Compared to the Daytona it's definitely lighter (no bracelet) and has a slightly smaller lug-to-lug (~2mm probably). It has quite a few sharp edges on the case, compared to the Daytona, so I'm more careful with it.
The case is less polished compared to the Daytona, so its less shiny overall. The dial also pops more in sunlight.
Old 8 September 2015, 05:00 PM   #18
ck1109
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That looks great on you. $4.5-5k new? Hmm. That's much lower than I thought.

Thanks for the tip on the mutant strap size. That's one way to make you buy OEM. I like the Black Gator on the larger Zeniths. I better investigate options ahead of any purchase..
Quote:
Speaking of Price...MSRP with strap is $8600 I see.

It it really possible to get one new - from a good source - for $5k? That's 40% off. I can't believe I am talking discounts. :-/
For price, check this link here. It's good to know what it sells for in GM when talking to other sellers.

For 19mm straps, I just prefer to go custom. For my skinny wrists I need 110/65 length straps which are nearly impossible to find in 19mm length.
Old 8 September 2015, 05:59 PM   #19
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Didn't know this model came in 38mm. Been considering the 42mm with the cut out dial and there's one now being offered to me LNIB for a really great price (1 yr old). I just can't wrap my arms around there is no date function. So, thinking about getting one off and on.

If you really really want one, get it.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2015, 10:14 PM   #20
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1109 View Post
For price, check this link here. It's good to know what it sells for in GM when talking to other sellers.

For 19mm straps, I just prefer to go custom. For my skinny wrists I need 110/65 length straps which are nearly impossible to find in 19mm length.

Thanks for the link. I've heard mixed things re Joma Shop. The link says usually ships in 6-12 weeks? Clearly they don't have the watch now...3 mos is a bit of a wait no?

Where do you get your custom straps?

Cheers.
Old 9 September 2015, 02:44 AM   #21
ck1109
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I've heard mixed things re Joma Shop. The link says usually ships in 6-12 weeks? Clearly they don't have the watch now...3 mos is a bit of a wait no?

Where do you get your custom straps?

Cheers.
I've purchased an Aqua Terra from them and it was fine. If you call them, they'll probably be more upfront about inventory and wait times. Regardless of whether you purchase from them or not, it still gives you a reference for when you talk to ADs about pricing. Unlike Rolex, Zenith depreciates a lot (from MSRP) and is harder to move/flip, so you want to make sure you get it at the best price possible.

For custom straps, I normally go with basandlokes, drunkartstraps and strap makers on etsy. For formal, I've ordered from Camille Fournet (~1+ month wait). Bulang and sons also offers 19mm straps, but I've not ordered from them yet.
Old 9 September 2015, 03:22 AM   #22
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've purchased an Aqua Terra from them and it was fine. If you call them, they'll probably be more upfront about inventory and wait times. Regardless of whether you purchase from them or not, it still gives you a reference for when you talk to ADs about pricing. Unlike Rolex, Zenith depreciates a lot (from MSRP) and is harder to move/flip, so you want to make sure you get it at the best price possible.

For custom straps, I normally go with basandlokes, drunkartstraps and strap makers on etsy. For formal, I've ordered from Camille Fournet (~1+ month wait). Bulang and sons also offers 19mm straps, but I've not ordered from them yet.

Good to know re: Joma. Agreed...a reference point for some ADs, although we all know they disparage on line sellers etc ;-)

Yes. Understood re: post purchase hit. Zenith as a watch is certainly not a known quantity to the public at large.

Thanks for the names of custom strap makers. I've purchased from others when I had a Panerai, but that's it.

The more I think of it, 19mm is so odd. I've never heard of this size...though perhaps other boutique watchmakers use an odd size as well.
Old 9 September 2015, 03:43 AM   #23
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The more I think of it, 19mm is so odd. I've never heard of this size...though perhaps other boutique watchmakers use an odd size as well.
I use to have a Glashutte Original that was 19mm, so there's another possible source if you pick this Zenith up. Sirtoli makes them I believe but their website looks to be in the process of being remodeled.
Old 9 September 2015, 10:24 AM   #24
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I use to have a Glashutte Original that was 19mm, so there's another possible source if you pick this Zenith up. Sirtoli makes them I believe but their website looks to be in the process of being remodeled.

Thanks. Good to know. That's a high quality company. I'm sure they make nice straps. I know the 42mm Zeniths come with a black strap. Wonder if they are 19mm as well.
Old 9 September 2015, 11:43 AM   #25
ck1109
"TRF" Member

Quote:
19mm is not that uncommon. Omega uses it across their range. The 38.5mm AT has 19mm lug width. I believe Tissot and Citizen also use 19mm lugs.
Old 9 September 2015, 11:46 AM   #26
ck1109
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Good to know. That's a high quality company. I'm sure they make nice straps. I know the 42mm Zeniths come with a black strap. Wonder if they are 19mm as well.
Camille Fournet makes JLC's straps. Their straps are pretty darn good.
Old 9 September 2015, 12:28 PM   #27
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
19mm is not that uncommon. Omega uses it across their range. The 38.5mm AT has 19mm lug width. I believe Tissot and Citizen also use 19mm lugs.

Ah. OK. Clearly I need to get out more.

Quote:
Camille Fournet makes JLC's straps. Their straps are pretty darn good.
Yes. I've handled JLC.

The one 42mm Zenith I tried on had a nice black gator strap. Wonder if it was 19MM?
Old 9 September 2015, 02:16 PM   #28
cervantes
"TRF" Member

The 42mm take a 21mm strap.
Old 9 September 2015, 10:49 PM   #29
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
The 42mm take a 21mm strap.

Twenty one? Naturally. ;-)

Thank you for confirming.

I guess I should look to see if Zenith makes a black 19mm gator for another model.
Old 26 September 2015, 06:39 AM   #30
maiko
"TRF" Member

Speed - Did you get the watch? Did you choose a strap?