The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 12 July 2022, 03:09 AM   #1
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
<<< 321 tech question >>>

I'm hoping someone can help to answer a question I have . As a new owner I appreciate this may seem novice to some but here goes ...

I like to be able to enjoy seeing the applied logo at 12 and with the reset position the chrono seconds hand obscures the view. Therefore I like to stop the seconds hand at 6 o'clock.

Then I wondered, does this do any harm to the movement?

I asked my SA at the boutique and he says no. I also asked the omega service center, and they say it does ....

Where do those who may know, weigh in?

Thank you

20220711_130848.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 04:04 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You’ve likely completely destroyed it brian. I’ll send a label and wire.
Old 12 July 2022, 04:56 AM   #3
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

&lt;&lt;&lt; 321 tech question &gt;&gt;&gt;

If they say so…I would leave it at 6 or whatever you want to put it but ran the Chrono for couple of minutes every day.
Or make a 5 sec incremental each day :) so it is running not staying more than 24 hours but you also can see the omega applied logo

Anyway Brian if you feel uncomfortable I’m sure one of us can ease your pain and take the watch out of your hands :))))

On a more serious note I guess it can handle

https://revolutionwatch.com/rules-ch...ph-engagement/
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 05:42 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You’ve likely completely destroyed it brian. I’ll send a label and wire.

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of doing Tom.
Old 12 July 2022, 05:47 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
If they say so…I would leave it at 6 or whatever you want to put it but ran the Chrono for couple of minutes every day.
Or make a 5 sec incremental each day :) so it is running not staying more than 24 hours but you also can see the omega applied logo

Anyway Brian if you feel uncomfortable I’m sure one of us can ease your pain and take the watch out of your hands :))))

On a more serious note I guess it can handle

https://revolutionwatch.com/rules-ch...ph-engagement/
Thank you for the link Alex, great info.

So help me here... but from what I'm seeing, there's no good reason why the movement can't be stopped (Indefinitely) at any position and then restarted ...

I guess for now I'll cave it and send it back to the home position

Anyone else know the answer to this with certainty?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 12 July 2022, 06:49 AM   #6
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Well, on most of my chronos I use the second hand as a date function - I.e move to the required number of seconds and stop. Like you, I enjoy seeing the applied logo. My gut feel is that this makes no difference, but I’m no watchmaker. Certainly it’s never impacted any of my chronos.

You might get a good answer by posting on OF. The resident guru there (Archer) will 100% be able to confirm this or otherwise being an experienced omega watchmaker.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 07:37 AM   #7
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I've set my chrono hand on 14 seconds on my FOIS Speedmaster and had the power run down to 0. No problems when I rewind it and reset the chrono. I've done the same on my Silver Snoopy 3861 movement. Granted neither are a 321 movement but I don't really think this is an issue.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 07:50 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Well, on most of my chronos I use the second hand as a date function - I.e move to the required number of seconds and stop. Like you, I enjoy seeing the applied logo. My gut feel is that this makes no difference, but I’m no watchmaker. Certainly it’s never impacted any of my chronos.

You might get a good answer by posting on OF. The resident guru there (Archer) will 100% be able to confirm this or otherwise being an experienced omega watchmaker.
Thank you Steve, my gut is saying the same and thus far no issues.

Is Archer a member here?
Old 12 July 2022, 07:51 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I've set my chrono hand on 14 seconds on my FOIS Speedmaster and had the power run down to 0. No problems when I rewind it and reset the chrono. I've done the same on my Silver Snoopy 3861 movement. Granted neither are a 321 movement but I don't really think this is an issue.
Thank you Robert, I’m starting feel better about leaving it at 6 o’clock
Old 12 July 2022, 08:58 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have no idea.

Personally I would tend to think that the service department is correct. The reset position is like a stationary position whereas the 6 o’clock position is a temporary position. Not sure if I am explaining myself, I think being at six o’clock might cause stress as the chrono is waiting to be restarted? Kind of like hacking a movement indefinitely? There is still stress on the mainspring.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 09:20 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I have no idea.

Personally I would tend to think that the service department is correct. The reset position is like a stationary position whereas the 6 o’clock position is a temporary position. Not sure if I am explaining myself, I think being at six o’clock might cause stress as the chrono is waiting to be restarted? Kind of like hacking a movement indefinitely? There is still stress on the mainspring.
That’s where my thoughts go to as well Brian. Perhaps I’m overthinking it.

If I step back and pretend like someone else wrote this post, I’d probably say exactly as you … “service department is correct”.
Old 12 July 2022, 10:03 AM   #12
Aconitase
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC, Omega, GS, MG
I think you would have good luck on the Omegaforums posting this question. They are, respectfully, bigger geeks than the folks here.

It's clear that given the conflicting information, the service center likely has more expertise. However, I think they are also trained to give you the answer that minimizes risk, wear, and tear.

As a compromise, perhaps you could keep it at 6 when you're wearing it and just reset it back to 12 when you take it off? And run it a few minutes per day too.
Aconitase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 10:42 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconitase View Post
I think you would have good luck on the Omegaforums posting this question. They are, respectfully, bigger geeks than the folks here.

It's clear that given the conflicting information, the service center likely has more expertise. However, I think they are also trained to give you the answer that minimizes risk, wear, and tear.

As a compromise, perhaps you could keep it at 6 when you're wearing it and just reset it back to 12 when you take it off? And run it a few minutes per day too.
Thank you for this honestly for now, this is where I’m headed.

I just posted over on that forum now and am waiting to see what responses I get.
Old 12 July 2022, 10:52 PM   #14
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Archer (on Omega forums) will know the answer.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 10:56 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks guys … I posted over there, and Archer did indeed confirm that the chrono seconds hand can be left stopped at any position with no harm whatsoever to the movement.

Turns out my SA was right and the Omega Service Service Center was wrong … the exact opposite of what we usually see here on TRF
Old 13 July 2022, 04:44 AM   #16
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Glad you were able to have this confirmed, Brian! I've had Swatch Canada make a "mistake" servicing my watch in the past, things can happen, but I'm not surprised. Just glad you had this confirmed and can continue enjoying that fantastic watch worry free.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2022, 05:04 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Glad you were able to have this confirmed, Brian! I've had Swatch Canada make a "mistake" servicing my watch in the past, things can happen, but I'm not surprised. Just glad you had this confirmed and can continue enjoying that fantastic watch worry free.
Thank you Rommel This forum and the Omega forum have a wealth of information and experts.

Archer is a certified Omega watchmaker and an expert in servicing 321 movements, so I trust what god says
Old 15 July 2022, 05:14 AM   #18
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post

What a great idea, I can stop complains about the lack of date on these watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote