The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 17 February 2020, 01:16 PM   #1
hkwinger
"TRF" Member

Timegrapher is good but watch is still really fast

I purchased a near new Panerai from a well known dealer on this forum, and it was shipped and delivered perfectly. I set the watch and put it down and after a few hours I noticed that it was running about 3-4 seconds per hour fast. I demagnetized it and put it on the Timegrapher and saw that everything looked good. Next day I noticed it was still not keeping good time and a few minutes fast. I set it again and kept my eye on it. Still reading perfectly on the Timegrapher, the watch is still 2-3 seconds per hour fast. It’s a fly back chronometer so I ran the timer synced with the seconds and noticed that the chronometer is pretty accurate. The seconds subdial is still running fast, so after a few hours, the chronometer is noticeably out of sync and running behind the seconds hand.

Any thoughts as to what this could be? Trying to decide how to proceed. The seller states in the add that returns would be accepted if it was not as described, but I would really hate to do that. The seller has been, and continues to be, as helpful as possible and I’m considering whether or not to ask for the return. The watch is under the manufactures warranty, with it’s warranty card is dated less than 45 days ago. I absolutely love watch and and feel like I got a good deal on it. Any thoughts as to what this issues may be and if I should go through hassle and take the chance that this will be fixed under warranty?

Appreciate your guys help.
hkwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 02:05 PM   #2
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Chronograph.

I Don’t trust the chinese timegraphers but what orientation is the watch is for these test? If measured at dial up then do the physical test at dial up. Repeat this dial down, crown down, crown left, and crown right then report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 02:38 PM   #3
hkwinger
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the reply!! I measured in many different orientations. Dial up was what the watch was at resting. The only difference I see with any of the orientations is the amplitude which is ranging between 280 when on its side -310 when face up. Not sure If that means anything. The time was consistent at near perfect between the positions.
Old 17 February 2020, 02:39 PM   #4
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Can I see a photo of the demag tool used

Old 17 February 2020, 02:42 PM   #5
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Also it could be the hairspring. Sometimes a coil can get stuck on top of another from a good bump during shipping. Not a big deal and an easy fix for any watchmaker. Its a quick untangle with a tweezer.

Old 17 February 2020, 02:54 PM   #6
hkwinger
"TRF" Member

I appreciate your help. The demagnetizer is an amazon special haha. I sure hope it’s as simple as a tangled hairspring. In that case I have no problem sending it back to Panerai for a quick fix. Not sure if it would be covered under warranty though.

Old 17 February 2020, 03:35 PM   #7
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkwinger View Post
I appreciate your help. The demagnetizer is an amazon special haha. I sure hope it’s as simple as a tangled hairspring. In that case I have no problem sending it back to Panerai for a quick fix. Not sure if it would be covered under warranty though.

These are no good.

Old 17 February 2020, 08:45 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkwinger View Post
I purchased a near new Panerai from a well known dealer on this forum, and it was shipped and delivered perfectly. I set the watch and put it down and after a few hours I noticed that it was running about 3-4 seconds per hour fast. I demagnetized it and put it on the Timegrapher and saw that everything looked good. Next day I noticed it was still not keeping good time and a few minutes fast. I set it again and kept my eye on it. Still reading perfectly on the Timegrapher, the watch is still 2-3 seconds per hour fast. It’s a fly back chronometer so I ran the timer synced with the seconds and noticed that the chronometer is pretty accurate. The seconds subdial is still running fast, so after a few hours, the chronometer is noticeably out of sync and running behind the seconds hand.

Any thoughts as to what this could be? Trying to decide how to proceed. The seller states in the add that returns would be accepted if it was not as described, but I would really hate to do that. The seller has been, and continues to be, as helpful as possible and I’m considering whether or not to ask for the return. The watch is under the manufactures warranty, with it’s warranty card is dated less than 45 days ago. I absolutely love watch and and feel like I got a good deal on it. Any thoughts as to what this issues may be and if I should go through hassle and take the chance that this will be fixed under warranty?

Appreciate your guys help.
First you cannot test any watch for accuracy over few hour period how to test first give your watch a full manual wind thats 40 plus full crown turns clockwise only as they only wind on the forward wind.Then set your watch with say a quartz watch/clock thats accurate enough then wear your watch as normal for 8 hours plus a day.Check time once daily only with same setting source write down the lose or gain do this for 5 days.Then average out the loss or gain over the 5 days for a accurate result.I would expect your watch is fine and is running correctly.And today unless you are a watchmaker and use a Timegrapher connected with your work they are not really needed, as in most cases all they do is bring out the {CCTS}constant checking time syndrome.And when watches are magnetised in general they do speed up by several seconds or minutes or stop and refuse to start.

Now gravity affects mechanical watches the most thats why they are tested in 5 different positions.And in those different positions there will be very slight deviations in the timekeeping.Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times.On the wrist the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction,mainspring power-reserve, shocks, and so on.The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep perfect time,very close yes but perfect no, and remember there are 86400 seconds in a day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:15 PM   #9
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
These are no good.

Could you elaborate? I used a similar ebay thing and it worked magic for correcting accuracy on one of my APs after getting it magnetised. Maybe not ideal but it made my watch go from minutes fast a day down to a few seconds. Could the machine potentially have done some long term harm?
Old 17 February 2020, 09:17 PM   #10
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
These are no good.

I have one of those at my factory.

I use it to magnetise screwdrivers.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:32 PM   #11
scurfa
"TRF" Member

What is the timekeeping like when you wear the watch? +2-4 seconds a day face down will will be perfect, my work watch says +7 a day on the timer but the time keeping is perfect when I wear the watch.

Old 17 February 2020, 10:50 PM   #12
hkwinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
First you cannot test any watch for accuracy over few hour period how to test first give your watch a full manual wind thats 40 plus full crown turns clockwise only as they only wind on the forward wind.Then set your watch with say a quartz watch/clock thats accurate enough then wear your ........
Appreciate the response. I believe I understand what you are saying. The watch has been consistently running about a minute a day fast over the past 4 days. I’m not an expert, but the Timegrapher numbers look like the watch is running perfectly, but actual timing against an atomic clock has the watch consistently at about +2 seconds per hour.

Another huge concern that there could be an issue with the movement is the chronograph function. As I stated previously, it seems to be accurate. If I start the function exactly at zero seconds, in an hour the second hand will be 2 seconds faster than the chronograph hand and so on and so forth. If you run the chrono for 5 hours, the chrono will show 10 seconds slower than the watch. Any thoughts as to how in this could happen?

All of these weird results are super consistent.
Old 18 February 2020, 06:30 AM   #13
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Watches with very large springs, like a Panerai 8 days, will run fine if you time them over the full 8 days while not winding it. Depending on how wound the main spring is, it will run faster or slower, so it is timed to be fine on average over the full 8 days.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 06:37 AM   #14
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
The "elephant in the room" is the question of why when the chronograph seconds are accurate, the sub seconds are fast.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote