The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 March 2024, 11:17 AM   #1471
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Yep… was there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 11:20 AM   #1472
soulsea
2024 Pledge Member

That's awesome ... great for the charity and very cool for the owner to have a one off Journe.

They sent me the phone bidding form but I figured this would get crazy. I did offer to pop out of the cake but they respectfully declined. :)
Old 4 March 2024, 11:22 AM   #1473
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
The one off Elegante auction for breast cancer research set a world record price for a quartz watch last night ... I heard it went for $420k.

I was too embarrassed to bid. And I don’t think pink is my color.

So glad that it went well and the money is going to a good cause.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 10:56 PM   #1474
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Have to really have FU money to spend brass resonance money on a pink elegante.
Old 5 March 2024, 04:36 AM   #1475
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Still need to ask the boutique if indeed it was sold at $400k
Old 5 March 2024, 05:19 AM   #1476
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Isn't how these function, as a measuring contest. Brilliant way to get egos to keep bidding.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 05:29 AM   #1477
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

420k hammer no fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
tigerpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 06:04 AM   #1478
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
420k hammer no fees
Old 5 March 2024, 06:10 AM   #1479
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:

Well the live “hammer price” was 420

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 10:49 PM   #1480
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Isn't how these function, as a measuring contest. Brilliant way to get egos to keep bidding.

Absolutely. I still cannot imagine having that much money or that little sense whichever it is. Probably both.
Old 12 March 2024, 06:17 PM   #1481
rlxero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
Only Journe I have... just love it.

My favorite of all Journes, it may be simple but the multi dial layers are like nothing else
rlxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 06:21 PM   #1482
rlxero
Banned

Sadly I sold mine. And at a loss. But that was long before they were popular. It has to be my biggest regret in watches. Francois Paul wasn’t happy about that, but in those days they understood. Now you will be blacklisted
rlxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 03:29 PM   #1483
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Anyone catch the new Guy Ritchie show, The Gentleman on Netflix? Stanley Johnston (Giancarlo Esposito) seen wearing a Chronometre Souverain Platinum in introductory scene.
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomčtre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 04:11 AM   #1484
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
Anyone catch the new Guy Ritchie show, The Gentleman on Netflix? Stanley Johnston (Giancarlo Esposito) seen wearing a Chronometre Souverain Platinum in introductory scene.
Just started watching it. Had to go back and look. Good eye!
Skyrider01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2024, 06:01 AM   #1485
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 14060A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
There's more in this article:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/articl...n-watches-2024
F131F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 10:55 PM   #1486
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Interesting conversation.

One of the things that always concerned me about the brands that allowed customer input in design, will it undermine long term collector appreciation ?

The appreciation for watches among different manufacturers that stand the test of time is commonly those pieces that have a long history of slow and minimal variation through the decades.

In the end I guess I am one to say, let the watchmaker create the work, it’s their profession. There have been more than a few occasions that I was critical about a manufacturer design choice only to appreciate and understand it years later.

Very much in agreement with the comment that too much customization is a concern over the long term.

If every watch is one of one it does seem like establishing a solid / recognizable market level will be next to impossible.

Plus, as we have all seen, beauty is the definitely in the eye of the beholder when it comes to Kari as an example. I’ve seen enough of them that will require a dial replacement (or adjusted price) to find a new home when needed.

That said, with Kari I would assume most don’t care and spec their watch accordingly.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 11:14 PM   #1487
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Very much in agreement with the comment that too much customization is a concern over the long term.

If every watch is one of one it does seem like establishing a solid / recognizable market level will be next to impossible.

Plus, as we have all seen, beauty is the definitely in the eye of the beholder when it comes to Kari as an example. I’ve seen enough of them that will require a dial replacement (or adjusted price) to find a new home when needed.

That said, with Kari I would assume most don’t care and spec their watch accordingly.

Heck one guy on here had topless women engraved on the back of his V8 with an officers case back lol
Old 22 March 2024, 11:36 PM   #1488
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post

On our his/her set, we will be having personal message engraved on each piece. I try to do it on the bridge but only the case is allowed by Kari. Kari have to approve the design before it can go ahead. It is probably to prevent too many monster watches out there which can cause image issue for the brand.

And for a FPJ application piece, there is only first and last name as the serial number engraved on the back. I cannot use only family name nor my son’s name as I will pass it on to him. Not even my first name with my wife’s first name. Which probably will give reseller a pause.
Old 23 March 2024, 05:34 AM   #1489
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Heck one guy on here had topless women engraved on the back of his V8 with an officers case back lol

I remember that week, quite the odyssey.

We need a “Where are they now” thread.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 04:26 AM   #1490
crod
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ OPTIMUM
Quote:
On our his/her set, we will be having personal message engraved on each piece. I try to do it on the bridge but only the case is allowed by Kari. Kari have to approve the design before it can go ahead. It is probably to prevent too many monster watches out there which can cause image issue for the brand.

And for a FPJ application piece, there is only first and last name as the serial number engraved on the back. I cannot use only family name nor my son’s name as I will pass it on to him. Not even my first name with my wife’s first name. Which probably will give reseller a pause.
Hi do you mean FPJ wont put your name on the back of the watch?
Old 26 March 2024, 05:52 AM   #1491
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
Hi do you mean FPJ wont put your name on the back of the watch?

I can only engrave my own full name as in “John Doe”. I cannot use my name with my wife’s name like “John and Mary” nor just my last name.

For application piece, the engraved name is the serial number.
Old 26 March 2024, 02:06 PM   #1492
Slackergirl
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Everose
I am trying to make it to the LA Boutique next month. Anyone know if the 40mm Elegante has a slightly shorter waiting list then the 48mm. I am not expecting quick, but hoping at least the smaller size might keep the waitlist open to a new name. Read somewhere on this thread that the waitlist was closed - hoping just for the big boy size:-)
Slackergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 02:24 PM   #1493
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackergirl View Post
I am trying to make it to the LA Boutique next month. Anyone know if the 40mm Elegante has a slightly shorter waiting list then the 48mm. I am not expecting quick, but hoping at least the smaller size might keep the waitlist open to a new name. Read somewhere on this thread that the waitlist was closed - hoping just for the big boy size:-)

If you ask the boutique staff, they will tell you to wish for the one you love. I am not sure if the wait list for the 48mm is closed though. But if it is indeed closed, they will definitely let you know.

The staff there are nice and straightforward, you should be able to enjoy your visit.
Old 26 March 2024, 09:50 PM   #1494
soulsea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you want the 48 tell them you want the 48. Conviction registers with the brand … all other things being equal, as in two new customers walk in the same day, they will prioritize the one who is drawn to specific timepieces over one that has a ‘I’ll take whatever you’ll give me’ or ‘I’ll take when I can have first’ disposition. Not suggesting you would ever do this, but I was at a boutique when someone asked ‘what’s the one everyone wants’ and the conversation very politely ended soon after that. :)

———————————

In other news, my boutique piece apparently got stuck at US customs but should now be here any day. Sooo excited!
Old 27 March 2024, 01:00 PM   #1495
Slackergirl
"TRF" Member

I have a feeling I am more interested in the 40mm size wise for me. That is what I was curious about the difference if a bit easier to get. Seems like most previous posts were in reference to the 48mm Elegante & its waiting list being closed. Not as much posted on the smaller size. It is the only one I am interested in at the moment. Not that FP does not have a lot of cool pieces.
Old 27 March 2024, 02:47 PM   #1496
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a feeling I am more interested in the 40mm size wise for me. That is what I was curious about the difference if a bit easier to get. Seems like most previous posts were in reference to the 48mm Elegante & its waiting list being closed. Not as much posted on the smaller size. It is the only one I am interested in at the moment. Not that FP does not have a lot of cool pieces.
My wife got a 40mm two rows of diamond for last year. I doubt the list for 40 is closed.
Old 27 March 2024, 11:33 PM   #1497
Slackergirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My wife got a 40mm two rows of diamond for last year. I doubt the list for 40 is closed.
That is good to hear. I have a 6.5" wrist so I think the 48 would probably be huge on me. Like bigger watches just not longer then my wrist.
Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM   #1498
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is good to hear. I have a 6.5" wrist so I think the 48 would probably be huge on me. Like bigger watches just not longer then my wrist.

You may want to try both sizes. My wife has a 5.5” wrist and the 40 is perfect size for her. The size indicates the lug to lug size so 48 is not large at all. I do find the 48 more masculine due to the screws on the bezel though.
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM   #1499
Slackergirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You may want to try both sizes. My wife has a 5.5” wrist and the 40 is perfect size for her. The size indicates the lug to lug size so 48 is not large at all. I do find the 48 more masculine due to the screws on the bezel though.
Thanks that is good to know. I will get a chance to look at some exhibition models hopefully and find my goldilocks size.......then wait patiently
Old Yesterday, 01:29 AM   #1500
Skyrider01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks that is good to know. I will get a chance to look at some exhibition models hopefully and find my goldilocks size.......then wait patiently
Yes, try the exhibition pieces at a boutique. The 48mm wears like a 40mm watch, and the 40mm like a 31mm. I am pretty sure it will be easier to get an allocation for the 40mm.

Here is a size comparison. 48mm on 6.8" wrist and 40mm on 5.5" wrist.

Skyrider01 is online now   Reply With Quote