The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 July 2020, 10:44 PM   #31
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Hahaha! Thanks APAP. I appreciate the honesty. Just curious, what of the watch misses out for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lack of character.

The design is as generic as it gets. The crystal they brag about only cheapens the watch. There isn’t anything right about it really.

It seems they wanted to capitalize on the brand to sell the watch and it’s definitely not working and at some point it needs to be put to bed.
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:05 PM   #32
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wait a minute... is this Tim Mosso? Either way, thanks Nav. Really thoughtful look at movements which is something that I at times overlook. I will be researching your comments.

You just revived an old flame I have with the 6006. My one issue is the black dial which is just ok (there I go being superficial). I really wish it was caramel brown in rose gold case like a gorgeous one off Calatrava I saw for the PP AD store in Switzerland: Zigerli+Iff, 5153.

The good people at K2 Luxury just sold one whip I missed on.

Haha, almost, I believe Tim is a former Navyman who‘s looking to become an employment lawyer, while I‘m an employment lawyer who wishes he’d had an opportunity to become a naval officer earlier in his life. But that about ends the similarities I’m afraid, as I‘m sure Tim would leave me far behind on a bicycle.

The 6006 is truly a fantastic watch. Always liked it a lot for its underdog charm. I hear you on the rose gold though. But doesn’t the 6000r get pretty close to merging the 6006 with the color scheme you‘re describing?

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:44 PM   #33
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
It’s not my cup of tea but if you do get it, make sure you get commitment on a 15500st which is a reasonable ask and should help you jump the waitlist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 01:41 AM   #34
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Haha, almost, I believe Tim is a former Navyman who‘s looking to become an employment lawyer, while I‘m an employment lawyer who wishes he’d had an opportunity to become a naval officer earlier in his life. But that about ends the similarities I’m afraid, as I‘m sure Tim would leave me far behind on a bicycle.

The 6006 is truly a fantastic watch. Always liked it a lot for its underdog charm. I hear you on the rose gold though. But doesn’t the 6000r get pretty close to merging the 6006 with the color scheme you‘re describing?

Wow. Didn’t event know that 6000R existed. It is the one. Nav, thanks a million for the advise. This is the reason why I love these forums and appreciate your input.

rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 02:09 AM   #35
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow. Didn’t event know that 6000R existed. It is the one. Nav, thanks a million for the advise. This is the reason why I love these forums and appreciate your input.

Cheers my friend, always happy if I can give an input.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 11 July 2020, 03:53 AM   #36
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

I'm also one that likes the Code 11.59 and think it has a lot of unique features. The case, sapphire, lugs, but it seems like a model that some people just enjoy hating. I understand a lot of people genuinely don't like it, but I feel like some people are just jumping on the bandwagon because it seems to be cool to hate it.

Anyway, this model is a little out there for me, but if you can rock it, do it! I am also happy to see AP expanding the lineup even though I won't even be the potential owner of one of these for many years to come!
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 07:57 PM   #37
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Still absolutely not for me. Even more so in purple, yuk.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 09:03 PM   #38
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
From the people who do it. AP doesn’t make much of a secret of it, also, you can see it. It’s obvious at first glance. A diamond cutter gets you an entirely different result as a hand guided touret. But don’t take my word for it, a brief research around the web should get you all you need to know about that. As for the unfinished undersides, you’ll need to take the movement apart. But luckily, someone has done that for you. Check Peter Speake Marine‘s Website for his very instructive strip-down.

Well finished is always a relative affair. Not saying the 4302 is poorly finished. It’s typically AP, which is ok. But it’s not on par with the even better finishing standard of brands that do things with more traditional inclinations and more thoroughly, such as Patek and VC, or Lange, or many independents. And for that, AP‘s pricing expectations are, let’s call them: ambitious. Then again, AP is likely correct in assuming that many people who buy these things won’t care because the movements are either in a RO or people are buying them in the 1159 in order to get an RO... that’s their strategy and that’s fine.
Thanks for the explanation. I’ve read quite a bit online about movement finishing, including the deconstruction on the Naked Watchmaker website, but I guess I’ve somehow missed all the discussions of how AP does significantly less hand finishing than Patek or VC. In fact, Peter Speakers Marin’s deconstruction was one place that said the 4302 is “well finished,” though I recognize that this is a vague statement. In any case, next time I get a chance, I’ll definitely have to use a loupe and look for the tell tale signs of machine finishing in my AP movements and also compare them to a Patek 324 movement.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:05 AM   #39
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I’ve read quite a bit online about movement finishing, including the deconstruction on the Naked Watchmaker website, but I guess I’ve somehow missed all the discussions of how AP does significantly less hand finishing than Patek or VC. In fact, Peter Speakers Marin’s deconstruction was one place that said the 4302 is “well finished,” though I recognize that this is a vague statement. In any case, next time I get a chance, I’ll definitely have to use a loupe and look for the tell tale signs of machine finishing in my AP movements and also compare them to a Patek 324 movement.
I have seen the Code is person and just quickly glanced at the deconstructed article and it looks fine, I don't understand how it is vastly different than its peers. It looks fine to me, highly detailed and finished, and really is a beautiful movement. Surface side on the dial I didn't see any flaws with a loupe, was really impressed.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 07:28 PM   #40
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
Just from PSM‘s deconstruction:

- anglage: caseback side only, diamond head milled (in fact PSM mentions the latter in the description, but it’s also fairly obvious visually);

- underside of the bridges over wheels: raw milling, no finish (most VCs I‘ve seen taken apart would have had perlage there;

- underside of the balance wheel: You tell me, but that scratched up bonanza doesn’t strike me as particularly well looked after.

Of course the finish is not generally bad by any description, but in typical AP fashion, it’s a bit more „dress to impress“ than „made for the pride of making it“. All of the three large houses are seeking to automate more and more to increase efficiency and cut costs, that’s normal... but AP is certainly more aggressive than its peers in this regard. Then again, the 4302 remains, in many ways, an improvement over the 3120 and, in the greater scope of things, is certainly not a bad movement. It’s just a matter of what is important to each of us individually. Some prefer the design, some like the two letters on the dial and some like things to be done thoroughly and are willing to relegate market value and prestige to the back row over that. Not saying any of it is wrong, just expressing my preference.

And just to make that clear, I too have seen the Code in person and am still not convinced I won’t eventually purchase one. But I remain fairly determined that I will not pay the price they’re asking for a movement that’s neither particularly slender, nor finished to the level I personally would expect in a watch costing 27k, based on wha you’ll get elsewhere for that money.

Old 14 July 2020, 02:08 PM   #41
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Speaking of price, anyone received discounts on these CODE models from AP boutiques? The price is steep and would like to objectively compare. Would never contemplate asking discounts on RO but CODEs , perhaps.

Old 14 July 2020, 03:35 PM   #42
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Speaking of price, anyone received discounts on these CODE models from AP boutiques? The price is steep and would like to objectively compare. Would never contemplate asking discounts on RO but CODEs , perhaps.

Indeed am interesting questions but I would need 50 percent discount to be honest...
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 08:26 AM   #43
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Guess not the only one that likes the purple. Awesome interview with AP CEO. Francois is definitely future driven.

https://youtu.be/Lt97c84XUEw

Old 2 August 2020, 11:52 AM   #44
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

They sell those are Michael Kors, no wait list.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 12:01 PM   #45
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Stirs a lot of mixed feelings around these parts but I'm beginning to seriously consider the smoked blue & RG.
Old 2 August 2020, 12:09 PM   #46
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Apple Watch
Quote:
That’s a fair point if you buy watches for other people (i.e. keep them for a little while before you resell them at what you’d hope to be a profit). Indeed, many people do that because they cannot or don’t want to truly afford a watch. They park the money, but eventually want or need it back and must hence rely on what people are or will be willing to give them for a watch down the road. And to them, as you state, value as perceived by the market is much more important than the actual value of the substance, i.e. how much went into making it and how thoroughly it was made.

Personally, I don’t collect watches for anyone other than myself and perhaps my future grandkids if I‘m ever fortunate enough to get any. When I pay for a watch, the money - in my mind - is gone and it’s thus important to me to get something that has enough substance to justify what I expended for it. But I recognize that such an approach to collecting is very 2005... no longer the gout du jour in a world where all that seems to count is for a watch to be hot and waitlisted.

Would you believe that, back when more people looked at watches the way I do, you’d get discounts on 15202s because they were just sitting at dealers and the 15400 was but the stand in you bought to wear something that looks like a RO while protecting your Jumbo from inevitably breaking if you’d take it out into the world too much?

But you’re right, my views are entirely personal. I’m not entirely sure I ever said otherwise though, nor do I believe that I confused an informed opinion on substance with a watch‘s market value or the multitude of factors informing the underlying demand.
I think you're missing the point. I understand that you perceive the value to of substance but that's only 1 part of the picture. If Picasso painted using a $1 brush on a cheap canvas, how much do you think this would cost? I would reckon it would go for a lot. For items considered as art, which what I think of when I see a AP Royal Oak Jumbo, together with it's history and movement and construction, that it's on par with what I am willing to pay for at retail. Now, if you talk getting a Jumbo for double the prices in the grey market, then I'd have to pass.
westoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 04:32 PM   #47
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Stirs a lot of mixed feelings around these parts but I'm beginning to seriously consider the smoked blue & RG.
It's very hard for some folks to admit, certain colors, metals and dials really make it a nice looking watch and make it a nice alternative to the RO shape we all know (and love). If they only produce ROs they are a one trick pony if they try to be innovative they get bashed, so what gives? It WAY better looking than the boring Jules line.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 10:05 PM   #48
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoque View Post
I think you're missing the point. I understand that you perceive the value to of substance but that's only 1 part of the picture. If Picasso painted using a $1 brush on a cheap canvas, how much do you think this would cost? I would reckon it would go for a lot. For items considered as art, which what I think of when I see a AP Royal Oak Jumbo, together with it's history and movement and construction, that it's on par with what I am willing to pay for at retail. Now, if you talk getting a Jumbo for double the prices in the grey market, then I'd have to pass.
Yes but in AP‘s case much of your Picasso is coming out of a laser printer... nobody buys art for the value of the canvas, and I‘m not arguing you should buy a watch for the price of the steel and brass either... you buy a painting for the work of the artist‘s hand, a watch, you buy for the work of the good people sitting in Plan les Ouattes or Le Brassus/Le Sentier, who have honed their skills over years. My problem is that these people get increasingly replaced by heart- and soul-less cnc mills that don’t have any skills other than those dictated by their circuits, and no high horology house has progressed further along this deplorable path than AP. So respectfully, before you assess whether I missed my point, please make sure you understand it properly first.

Old 3 August 2020, 02:43 AM   #49
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes but in AP‘s case much of your Picasso is coming out of a laser printer... nobody buys art for the value of the canvas, and I‘m not arguing you should buy a watch for the price of the steel and brass either... you buy a painting for the work of the artist‘s hand, a watch, you buy for the work of the good people sitting in Plan les Ouattes or Le Brassus/Le Sentier, who have honed their skills over years. My problem is that these people get increasingly replaced by heart- and soul-less cnc mills that don’t have any skills other than those dictated by their circuits, and no high horology house has progressed further along this deplorable path than AP. So respectfully, before you assess whether I missed my point, please make sure you understand it properly first.

Well said! Unfortunately, the cnc mills and any machined/automated part degrade this “value” and when most is done this way, in turn, the prices should go down as well. If AP watches are completely done using machines, and priced at it’s current value, then there’s no way I would pay retail.

Old 4 August 2020, 01:53 AM   #50
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
+1. The more AP releases that come, the more disinterested I become in the brand. They are really going in the wrong direction in my opinion, which is a shame.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:03 AM   #51
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
+1. The more AP releases that come, the more disinterested I become in the brand. They are really going in the wrong direction in my opinion, which is a shame.

So true. I listened to talks from their CEO and he emphasizes focus that they need to listen to the “younger generation” and change in the market. I think this is the opposite of what they need to be. They need to stick with their values/identity and be a timeless brand. That’s where Patek I think shines.

Old 4 August 2020, 04:47 AM   #52
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So true. I listened to talks from their CEO and he emphasizes focus that they need to listen to the “younger generation” and change in the market. I think this is the opposite of what they need to be. They need to stick with their values/identity and be a timeless brand. That’s where Patek I think shines.

Indeed, and many independents that luckily seem to be having a bit of a moment these days.

Old 4 August 2020, 07:23 AM   #53
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Don't get me started on that guy..... "you have to see it in person to appreciate it". That really irritated me when he said that.

We have 3 AP's in our home, had 6 at one point. I have often become so spiteful that I have nearly listed the 3 my wife and I have remaining, but refrained. It's only a matter of time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 08:08 AM   #54
1Orologio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still searching...
Quote:
I must say I quite liked the 1159 from the getgo, but found it a bit too tame for its case and price. These new dials, although a bit expediently ripped together from Moser and the VC overseas do give the watch the „pop“ it was lacking. I am yet to see them in person and still believe 27k is a bit steep for those movements (just because it improves on what AP would have given you in the 3120, doesn’t bring it up to par with a 5100 or a 324 in terms of finishing). Nonetheless, I believe that this watch is finally coming into its own and might be inclined to get one, should the price be right.

I think you put it right on point.
I am a fan. I own one. I want a new configuration.

Old 4 August 2020, 09:31 AM   #55
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Most of the people that hate the code now will fall all over it once it becomes a hot watch just like the aquanaut and nautilus. My Patek AD couldn't give away the 5167 or even the 5980 rose gold back in 2016 and now it's impossible to get. I really like the code and I'm sure it will be a hot watch soon.
OH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 12:19 PM   #56
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Don't get me started on that guy..... "you have to see it in person to appreciate it". That really irritated me when he said that.

We have 3 AP's in our home, had 6 at one point. I have often become so spiteful that I have nearly listed the 3 my wife and I have remaining, but refrained. It's only a matter of time....

Considering how much you complain about them I’d have expected you sold all of them by now.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 01:09 PM   #57
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What’s the problem with Francois b? Just the code launch or other problems I’m not aware of...
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 01:40 PM   #58
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
looks like a watch Jack Nicholson's Joker would want to wear after robbing a bank, because even him is not crazy enough to use his own money to buy that.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 01:44 PM   #59
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

That's a beautiful watch, get it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 02:50 PM   #60
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
What’s the problem with Francois b? Just the code launch or other problems I’m not aware of...
People tend not to like him for some reason, even people who know him fairly well I guess. He’s a very smart person, but his sense of restraint is limited. He doesn’t have much regard for anything other than his success, so he’s often enough perceived to be disrespectful to the tradition of the industry or even his brand. But there’s no denying he’s successful and the family seems to appreciate the money he’s making them. He’s also a very outspoken supporter of his people, which is nice, even though that seems to apply to design, marketing and management folks first and foremost.