The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 June 2017, 03:11 AM   #1
adr1974
"TRF" Member

question on service

Hey everyone - first post (though loving the forum). I have a ss submariner w date, which was given to me as a college graduation present in 1996. I've taken good care of it, but I've never had it serviced. Took it in, and Rolex lists the following items as required (or they apparently will not service it):

1. Full service - $700
2. New crown - $87
3. New bezel - $51
4. New clasp - $525

Since the luminescence has faded, the following items are options:

1. Crystal - $180
2. Dial - $510
3. Hands - $105

This is the first service in 21 years, and that's obviously on me...happy (more likely willing) to spend the $$, but was hoping to get some feedback as to whether or not it makes sense to spend ~$2100, or whether I should perhaps looks elsewhere to have it serviced. Thanks!
adr1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:14 AM   #2
Mirx
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX
I'd love to see some pics . . . before and after!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr1974 View Post
Hey everyone - first post (though loving the forum). I have a ss submariner w date, which was given to me as a college graduation present in 1996. I've taken good care of it, but I've never had it serviced. Took it in, and Rolex lists the following items as required (or they apparently will not service it):

1. Full service - $700
2. New crown - $87
3. New bezel - $51
4. New clasp - $525

Since the luminescence has faded, the following items are options:

1. Crystal - $180
2. Dial - $510
3. Hands - $105

This is the first service in 21 years, and that's obviously on me...happy (more likely willing) to spend the $$, but was hoping to get some feedback as to whether or not it makes sense to spend ~$2100, or whether I should perhaps looks elsewhere to have it serviced. Thanks!
Mirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:15 AM   #3
Blnrwearer
"TRF" Member

Why is a clasp so expensive ?
Blnrwearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:25 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blnrwearer View Post
If it was one of the new type clasps like the glidelock it would have been well over $1200.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:30 AM   #5
Will1979
"TRF" Member

If the dial and hands are not damaged, I'd suggest not replacing them. Your watch is getting into vintage territory, where folks put a premium on originality, particularly with the dial.
Will1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:37 AM   #6
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
It's odd that the bezel and clasp would be required. Is there a structural problem with either of them?

Full service and crown are a no-brainer. I'd find out why they are requiring the bezel and clasp. I'd replace the crystal if it's scratched or chipped. Dial/hands are up to you as others said. Do you want it looking new or keep it original?
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:39 AM   #7
Blnrwearer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
It's odd that the bezel and clasp would be required. Is there a structural problem with either of them?

Full service and crown are a no-brainer. I'd find out why they are requiring the bezel and clasp. I'd replace the crystal if it's scratched or chipped. Dial/hands are up to you as others said. Do you want it looking new or keep it original?
Fully agree...

I also would like to know whether there is a problem with either bezel or clasp.
Old 28 June 2017, 03:44 AM   #8
linanbob
"TRF" Member

Couple things...

Re. the "or won't service it", I'm not sure that's true. My experience is they'll do pretty much what you ask for.

I'd do the basic $700 service (clean, lube, regulate, polish). They seem to like to replace crowns and crown tubes for some reason, and if you're happy with the rest, tell 'em no thanks.
linanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:44 AM   #9
linanbob
"TRF" Member

What makes crown and tube a "no-brainer"?
Old 28 June 2017, 03:45 AM   #10
linanbob
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What makes crown and tube a no-brainer?
Old 28 June 2017, 03:48 AM   #11
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like this one might have aged well if it's never been opened. Should have some pretty natural patina possibly (then again it's a daily, not a safe queen so YMMV). Post some pics, I would find another independent and have them service the movement and leave everything else original whenever possible (dial, hands etc)....if you really want a crystal refresh you can get a new sapphire crystal. Insert might have a pretty good fade too, I think you should post a pic or 2 for better opinions.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:49 AM   #12
Blnrwearer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linanbob View Post
Thread and gasket wear I think. It's not expensive either.
Old 28 June 2017, 03:51 AM   #13
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
you've spent nothing in 21 years. send it to rsc and give it the spa treatment. full board -- except don't let them touch the dial or hands if you want a nice patina in a few more years.

add your specifics in WRITING.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:52 AM   #14
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr1974 View Post

1. Full service - $700
2. New crown - $87
3. New bezel - $51
4. New clasp - $525

Thanks!
I would agree to the above, and leave the dials, hands, etc. alone!
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 04:13 AM   #15
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
you've spent nothing in 21 years. send it to rsc and give it the spa treatment. full board -- except don't let them touch the dial or hands if you want a nice patina in a few more years.

add your specifics in WRITING.

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 04:23 AM   #16
adr1974
"TRF" Member

Really appreciate the feedback -- you guys are great...and has been really helpful to get different perspectives. I wish I had taken some pictures before I took it in -- but I was commenting to the salesman how, to the naked eye, it really appeared to be in excellent condition. A few other pieces of info (and maybe this is TMI...or maybe as watch people you understand where I'm coming from): this was a gift from my mother and father (they're divorced), and it's nicely inscribed. I'll likely never sell it, and would like to one day give it to one of my sons. That being the case, the argument that I haven't had to spend a dime in 21 years seems compelling...

Again, really want to thank everyone. This was my first post on the site -- wasn't expecting to get nearly the amount of feedback that I did.
Old 28 June 2017, 04:26 AM   #17
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I'd also suggest (if it can be done) that they send you the original parts so that if you ever want to return it to the collectible vintage patina, you can do so.

Me personally, I'd probably contact an independent servicing outfit (several are recommended on this forum) and have all that done for half the cost.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 04:26 AM   #18
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Yep - you have a luxury watch it needs occasional care, 21 years is a pretty good run and Rolex is cheap to keep up compared to AP/JLC/Patek etc. I had 18 years on my GMT when I sent it in and the bill was about the same but I had them put a new bracelet on it and did the dial/hands because of the lume issue - 1987 GMTs were not collectable in 2005:-) lesson learned.
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 04:33 AM   #19
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I'd also suggest (if it can be done) that they send you the original parts so that if you ever want to return it to the collectible vintage patina, you can do so.

Me personally, I'd probably contact an independent servicing outfit (several are recommended on this forum) and have all that done for half the cost.
Rolex doesn't really return parts.

Send it to someone who specializes in older watches. That's not RSC's thing. They retune to "as new" condition.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 04:38 AM   #20
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Send it to a reputable independent CW21 watchmaker with a Rolex parts account then you can pick and choose what you want done. And you'll probably save 25-30%. The fact that it's out of warranty, I don't see any reason to have RSC service it. It's akin to taking an old Mercedes to the dealership for service.
Old 28 June 2017, 04:43 AM   #21
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:

Based on the price, it's clearly the bezel insert they are proposing to replace, not the actual bezel. Still don't know why they would require that it be replaced.....unless the current one is aftermarket.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 04:45 AM   #22
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Why is a stainless steel watch so expensive?
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:06 AM   #23
Blnrwearer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
Why is a stainless steel watch so expensive?
Because it contains a lot of high precision parts and it takes time/labor to put them together.

A clasp is not that hard to manufacture and install... And why is it 6 times more expensive than a crown?
Old 28 June 2017, 05:08 AM   #24
adr1974
"TRF" Member

Want to thank everyone for their responses -- you guys have been great (as a first time poster, wasn't expecting to get the responses that I did -- very much appreciated). Lots of good points and things to consider. I'll never sell the watch -- it has tremendous sentimental value (was given to me by my mother and father), and I'd like to one day give it to one of my sons...so I'm really torn between the patina (which will serve as a nice distinction when it's on my son's wrist...) and restoring it to new. i think, for now, i'll send it to rolex (as a first-time service, i'd be a little nervous to have someone non-rolex do it, even if their reputation is excellent), but I'll leave the hands and dials alone. if, one day, my son wants to change them, that will be his right...but the more i think about it, the more i like the idea of giving him something that works great but has maintained part of its history.
Old 28 June 2017, 05:11 AM   #25
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Because it contains a lot of high precision parts and it takes time/labor to put them together.

A clasp is not that hard to manufacture and install... And why is it 6 times more expensive than a crown?
There's literally zero manufacturing basis for the price of these watches. None. It's expensive because it's a relatively uncommon Rolex replacement part. A crown is a common replacement part used by many different references.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:23 AM   #26
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by linanbob View Post
It's a critical component that's also deemed(quite rightly) to be a consumable or a service item.
It could be regarded as even more critical on a Rolex watch because it's one of the major definitive elements that define a Rolex and sets it apart from all others. On a Rolex "dive watch" it takes on much more significance.
At some point in a watch's life it will likely need to be replaced and at 20+ years of daily service it is not unreasonable to assume one has well and truly had their moneys worth out of it any way.

I would get an estimate from a recommended independent repairer in the US with a view to having a more sympathetic approach to the service.
Perhaps the clasp and bezel is not as important as Rolex deem it to be.
Rolex are rather uncompromising in some regards.

Other members of the forum will be able to guide you toward an independent watchmaker as you have the option open to you in the US.

Good luck and enjoy that Sub for another 20 years
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:26 AM   #27
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Yep - bracelets and their parts are hella expensive if you look only at the steel they are made from - you are not buying that, you are buying a ROLEX part - as the saying goes with cars so it goes with luxury watches - they figure if you can afford to buy the watch you can afford to fix it when it breaks...
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:36 AM   #28
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Please do not replace the dial and hands! Personally, I use an independent watch smith for any vintage or out or warranty work. That way I can better control what is being done. For example, I have a good clasp and crown in my parts box, so I could just give those parts to my watch smith and have him service the movement. This would be a significant savings over what RSC would charge, especially for the clasp. Replacing the bezel insert is a personal thing. RSC almost always suggests replacing these, but some of us like the faded/older looking inserts.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:40 AM   #29
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
As per all the above it's up to you. If you want the look of a new watch, get the lot done. If you want to keep the vintage feel, maybe leave the dial, hands and bezel and do the rest.

It's up to you, but if you can I'd request that you take back any parts replaced (if you can?) so a new owner could put back to old if they wished.

Not sure if that's possible or not....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 06:02 AM   #30
faldoc
"TRF" Member

My estimate for a gold Date 15038 is:
Full service $650 (includes new Crystal)
Replace crown $170 (trade in cost)
Ship $60
Total $880

Since I have an aftermarket band, to restore the watch to as sold/purchased I'm opting for an alligator strap $360
Buckle 18kt $960 (seems awfully high!)
Total $1329

Complete cost: $2209.

My last service was about 20 years ago.

It's from my Mom (1986), so cost matters less than the sentimental value, which is priceless.

They're not going to change the tritium lume hands or dial, evidently.

Last edited by faldoc; 28 June 2017 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Added text
faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote