The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 June 2017, 12:11 PM   #61
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
So ... Long story short (as possible) ... for those that dont know me.. im a normal guy, lower salary, work 60 hours a week, etc.. Saved for years to buy a Rolex again after having to sell my GMT after losing a previous job and being unemployed 2+ years.. .. So, I saved $25-50-100 a paycheck whatever I could until I could buy in again...

I end up with a Sept. 2013 purchased Deep Sea ... I wear it daily, enjoy it.. etc

Fast forward to this weekend.. I notice on only a 45 degree angle, that i get a humming vibration from the rotor (i can feel it, and yes, I know its the shaft, lube, or weights...). ... i can feel it "turn" 1 time, not continuous

Today.. I take it in to my AD (first day off since feeling it) ... and ask.. the tech right away feels it, and says "yup, the lube is drying up" ... now.. normal model, no issue.. they could pop the case back there, and check. Even tech says more than likely a quick, simple, and cheap fix... BUTTTTT ... Deep Sea, as i found out.. they cannot open due to the pressurizing, case size, etc... (Hopefully this is true, as they have never lied to me in all these years)... so the only option... RSC ...

Now... i realize that the 5 year warranty didnt kick in until 2015.. I realize my year was granted an additional 1 year.. but still, i find myself 9 months out of that warranty now... and my issue is 95% according to the tech simply lubrication... this watch sees no diving, normal wear, no drops or bangs, im very nice on this watch.. its my baby ...

so .. heres my anger.. as a mechanically inclined individual.. how can Rolex justify a 3-4yr old sealed watch drying up on lube? And how can this result in my having to spend $700-1000 likely for a service? For a guy like me, that will take 3-4 months just to pay off on credit card.. I called RSC, and they had a nice way of basically telling me sorry, warranty is out, send in for full service.. This is like having a 3 year old Toyota thats losing transmission fluid in my mind.. there is no excuse

so what do i do ...?

enjoy the model I love.. or when back from service sell, and downgrade to a sub or something that my AD can tinker with?

Should i think this will happen again? this watch otherwise, needs no service.. cosmetically its great, running great (within spec), keeping great reserve, etc...

I realize maybe someone in my income bracket doesnt "deserve" a Rolex, maybe shouldnt get to enjoy it.. but i busted my ass to get this thing.. now here i am a few years later looking at a full service? That just seems like pure shit!

thoughts? advice?
you totally deserve it, perhaps since you do a lot of business with your AD they will do you a solid. ask you will be surprised.
Old 27 June 2017, 12:35 PM   #62
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
I had this issue with my SD4000 - see more:

Originally Posted by padi56

It could be just the rotor pendulum swinging noise you are hearing or something simple like a loose screw, but if not properly serviced the main Achilles heel in the 3135 movement and its clones is the rotor shaft bearings. And IMO its the 3 series movements weakest link the rotor winding sleeve bearings. Now these need proper lubrication and its very critical its done right,if it drys out you will get severe wear in the bearing jewels.Looks like to me, Rolex has sacrificed a bit in the engineering department,for better winding efficiency. IMO the small diameter winding post don't offer enough support to the rotor weight, but again some go on for decades without service, but many fail for the lack of.But myself believe the ball bearing winding rotor will be introduced in the all the Rolex movements in near future.

Here's more on the 3135 movement

http://www.chronometrie.com/rolex3135/rolex3135.html
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:36 PM   #63
Gert
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, TT SubC LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Wishful thinking

Try proving anything at all in this respect.

And just who are you going to prove it to.

As another respondent has duly noted.

Perhaps an AD could advocate for the OP on their behalf in the hope of some good will on the part of Rolex.

But I would suggest that not being the original owner won't help at all in this instance

Well you don't need to go to court to prove anything.. I wrote "prove" in brackets for that reason fi... Anyway if I really felt I was "treated" unjust, I would get my legal insurance on top of it, you would pay the 1K bucks... each their own
Gert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 01:04 PM   #64
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I hope they take care of it. I understand the frustration you would have. Doesn't sound like a lube issue to me but you will never know until they look at it.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 01:15 PM   #65
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Push the AD hard on helping you out. If you apply the proper pressure they'll reach out to their regional Rolex rep and they will take care of the servicing. Proper pressure will be to speak directly to the owner or GM of the AD. Ask nicely first, if you get no satisfaction have an attorney send them a "this guy's gonna be trouble" letter and that should start the action.
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 01:41 PM   #66
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Good points!! These oils are chemicals with specific performances. If some watches are "drying up" and some aren't then it is more likely they've received the wrong materials or processing when originally manufactured then the "correct materials" are working only some of the time. This sort of variation just doesn't smell right to me.
Yet the biggest variation is always going to be the lifestyle of the respective owners

The various lubes will have a range of performance.
Who's to say they are actually performing to specifications or that they are even able to verify that the lubes are to spec in the first place?
It wouldn't be the first time some lube is underperforming and not to spec.
After all we are probably talking about a few litres of the stuff per year in total on a global basis.
Assuming it has a nominal shelf life of 6 years how much would they make in a production run to cover service requirements and production needs? 25-30 litres?
It almost hardly seems enough of a quantity to pursue a very stringent quality standard
Further, if the stuff has a shelf life of 6 years theoretically kept in a temperature controlled environment then what's the big deal with it that only lasts 6 years anyway and what are the consequences when the oil is a little too old after 5 years and put into service?

Anyway these are questions we will never ever know the answers to, as If there's a problem Rolex won't be telling a soul. It will be dealt with through the service centres as required and at their own discretion.
I believe it's going to be of no great consequence to a watch and certainly nothing a fresh service couldn't put right.
In the grand scheme of things nothing has been lost or gained.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 01:49 PM   #67
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
Well you don't need to go to court to prove anything.. I wrote "prove" in brackets for that reason fi... Anyway if I really felt I was "treated" unjust, I would get my legal insurance on top of it, you would pay the 1K bucks... each their own
Not quite.

One has to pick their battles and to me it does seem to be a very short time span.
There are way too many unknown variables in this matter and Rolex will be adopting the same position.
It's not like Rolex didn't already extend the warranty period for the watch in question as a gesture of good will to their market as a whole without people advocating for it.

It's unfortunate the watch fell out of the extended warranty
That's life.
Old 27 June 2017, 02:00 PM   #68
harvey
"TRF" Member

...until it is opened up its anyone's guess as to the real issue.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 02:28 PM   #69
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Here's the deal the oil used on the axle is full synthetic hp 1000 but the company has gone to minimalist oiling technique which is why it is vibrating. When I got my new case opener crystal press it had a die for the deep sea a year later they asked for it back because I couldn't water test to 3900 meters. The watch is not pressurized, no one has a case die for it except Rolex. It would be a 5 minute fix if I had the case back die. Sorry for your situation but unfortunately it is not uncommon. Hope that helps clear up a few things Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 02:56 PM   #70
Eva123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116333
I understand your pain, however:

1) You bought this watch pre-owned and definitely do not know what happened previously with it. Maybe watch case was opened and not properly sealed (and this could be the reason why oil dried up).

2) I can not imagine how oil can dry if case is properly sealed. It could be the case that there might be more serious issues. And this could happen due to various reasons such as failure of some part, bumping watch into something, etc. If AD says that they do not have a proper equipment to open your watch the i do not see any other solution except for sending watch to RSC.

3) I am bit skeptic on "saving" on luxury items. Even new S-Class Mercs need repairs. Watches are the same. This is your life and your watch, however, if i was in your your shoes i would not buy such expensive watch as it is servicing is making you into such financial troubles. It somehow reminds me situation of my friend who bought brand new Porsche Cayene Turbo and was crying that tyres for that car are so expensive.
Eva123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 03:04 PM   #71
Eva123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppersouth View Post
Push the AD hard on helping you out. If you apply the proper pressure they'll reach out to their regional Rolex rep and they will take care of the servicing. Proper pressure will be to speak directly to the owner or GM of the AD. Ask nicely first, if you get no satisfaction have an attorney send them a "this guy's gonna be trouble" letter and that should start the action.
Extended warranty is over and no formal warranty services should be performed by Rolex RSC. However, these services could be performed as a goodwill of Rolex RSC. I guess it is a cultural difference but i still can not comprehend "this guy's gonna be trouble" letter message. I think that's the reason why many people do not like lawyers or such type of persons who knowing that they are not right engage lawyers, giving a lot of trouble to honest people.
Eva123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 05:53 PM   #72
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
Quote:
AD smith said hes had 7-8 sport watches in the last few months alone that were drying up .. all 2-5 years old ...

crazy
Sounds like a problem with the AD, not the watches...
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 06:04 PM   #73
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Send it to RSC for a (free) quote. See what they say when they have opened it up.
Have to agree mate know one can tell whats wrong with any watch unless they get the back off and strip it down to see what the problem is.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 10:29 PM   #74
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva123 View Post
Extended warranty is over and no formal warranty services should be performed by Rolex RSC. However, these services could be performed as a goodwill of Rolex RSC. I guess it is a cultural difference but i still can not comprehend "this guy's gonna be trouble" letter message. I think that's the reason why many people do not like lawyers or such type of persons who knowing that they are not right engage lawyers, giving a lot of trouble to honest people.

Manufacturers commonly cover items recently out of warranty. They typically need a nudge to do so. It's just business. I've been on the receiving end of these tactics but have personally never had to use them. it may seem harsh, but I assure you it's effective. I didn't recommend this as the first coarse of action, only after the AD is unresponsive in helping.
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 10:34 PM   #75
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Here's the deal the oil used on the axle is full synthetic hp 1000 but the company has gone to minimalist oiling technique which is why it is vibrating. When I got my new case opener crystal press it had a die for the deep sea a year later they asked for it back because I couldn't water test to 3900 meters. The watch is not pressurized, no one has a case die for it except Rolex. It would be a 5 minute fix if I had the case back die. Sorry for your situation but unfortunately it is not uncommon. Hope that helps clear up a few things Rik
Thanks for the insight
Old 27 June 2017, 10:37 PM   #76
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
Sounds like a problem with the AD, not the watches...
I don't see how the AD could possibly be a part of the problem.
They have done all they are required or able to do in all practicality.

That is unless you think they may have a magic wand laying around out the back.
Old 27 June 2017, 11:16 PM   #77
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I don't see how the AD could possibly be a part of the problem.
They have done all they are required or able to do in all practicality.

That is unless you think they may have a magic wand laying around out the back.
Isn't it strange that this one AD is seeing that many Rolex lub problems?
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:30 PM   #78
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Something to think about before purchasing a DSSD. Special pressure testing is needed when working on the watch. Save up, get it fixed, and trade it in on a GMT Master is my suggestion.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:53 PM   #79
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
I realize maybe someone in my income bracket doesnt "deserve" a Rolex, maybe shouldnt get to enjoy it.. but i busted my ass to get this thing..
Utter [inset profanity here]!!!!!!

You've worked hard & saved up you deserve your Rolex just as much as anyone else on this forum and don't forget it!

Enjoy your watch to its fullest!!
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 01:01 AM   #80
rolexkidd
"TRF" Member

I hope Rolex helps ya out and either covers the repairs gratis or at the very least gives you some sort of relief. As to your concern of being in over your head and not being able to stay up with the maintenance of the DSSD, nonsense!!!! You are already "in the game" and have paid your entry fee. Whether you were to sell it of keep it, ya gotta make the repair either way. Once it's fixed you will be good for another 10 years and the pain of whatever amount you have to pay will fade a little each time you look at your wrist. Stand tall, throw your shoulders back, puff out your chest and wear it in good health. You earned it and trading down will leave a bad taste in the long run. Yes, having to pay anything this soon is unfortunate but this is an imperfect world and shit breaks. Your luck sounds like mine but fight your way through it.
rolexkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 01:31 AM   #81
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Utter [inset profanity here]!!!!!!

You've worked hard & saved up you deserve your Rolex just as much as anyone else on this forum and don't forget it!

Enjoy your watch to its fullest!!
I agree on this point... I too have a modest salary and have worked my ass off and managed my money well enough to be the owner of a fine watch or two. You work hard and bust your ass and at the end of the day you feel proud of your accomplishments and hard work. In my opinion the person who works hard for their achievements deserves the watch more than someone who has nothing but money and has no idea what a day of hard work is. In short, you deserve the watch. Don't ever question that.
Old 28 June 2017, 01:50 AM   #82
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Does seem a bit (too) coincidental.....
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:04 AM   #83
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
I agree on this point... I too have a modest salary and have worked my ass off and managed my money well enough to be the owner of a fine watch or two. You work hard and bust your ass and at the end of the day you feel proud of your accomplishments and hard work. In my opinion the person who works hard for their achievements deserves the watch more than someone who has nothing but money and has no idea what a day of hard work is. In short, you deserve the watch. Don't ever question that.
It's a watch, not an accomplishment. Anyone who has the money to buy one deserves it. No owner deserves an inanimate object more than any other.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:01 AM   #84
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
I certainly feel your pain. I clearly understand that nine months is indeed a short time and your expectation that the watch should not fail in that period of time, and if it does it should be the manufactures problem . However, look at the other side of it. Let's say for example you have a mortgage at 4% interest. Nine months after you take it out the interest rate rises to 5%. Should the mortgage company be allowed to raise your mortgage to 5% ? My point is a contract is a contract and a warrantee is a warrantee. Let's hope that Rolex will offer you a goodwill service or at least an adjustment on the price. I'm rooting for you.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:07 AM   #85
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
It's a watch, not an accomplishment. Anyone who has the money to buy one deserves it. No owner deserves an inanimate object more than any other.
+1

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:10 AM   #86
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Sea Dwell
Please understand guys.. I'm overly careful with money. I save and budget for service

But who expects it at 3.75 years?
touchdowntodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:13 AM   #87
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Please understand guys.. I'm overly careful with money. I save and budget for service

But who expects it at 3.75 years?
Nobody. It's unusual and it sucks.

It could be a loose screw. There's no reason to think an AD can diagnose a movement problem by shaking it once. You sent it to the rsc. Wait until you hear back.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 05:25 AM   #88
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Don't be upset with Rolex or any company for that matter when the warranty is expired.
Sometimes you get lucky and everything continues to work as normal and other times it unfortunately breaks. I have a car buddy that bought a new Porsche 911 and one month after the warranty expired so did the PDK transmission. It cost him a lot of money to fix and Porsche would not budge on helping. Man that hurt him bad. Consider yourself lucky that your financial pain is not 'that' bad.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 07:49 AM   #89
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not if their account is true/honest and correct.
It may very well indicate a pattern especially if we are talking about watches that were bought new, whether they were purchased through that particular dealer or not.
Regardless, the only known common denominator is Rolex.

Without further details about the respective histories of the watches, it's all just speculation.
Old 28 June 2017, 08:34 AM   #90
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
OP, sorry to hear about your situation and hope RSC will take care of this in a way that works out best for you. Given the Rolex reputation and the 5 year warranty of recent years, and my personal experience with a few personal Rolexes that went on ticking flawlessly for a lot longer than 5 years without any maintenance, and not being babied at all... yours is probably more of a bad luck and a one-off situation. Once repaired, I don't think you will need to worry about it going forward.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote