The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 June 2017, 02:07 AM   #1
Qing Guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Advice on moving from Datejust 16233 to Submariner 16610

I've had my Datejust for about 7 years, I believe it was manufactured in 89. Love the classic look of it, however, I'm starting to feel its too small. Also due to changes in job I rarely wear it as I feel it's a bit much for shorts and T-Shirt which is pretty much what I wear unless I'm traveling for work.

I've always liked the look of the Submariner 16610, larger but not too large for my wrist, can wear it casually as well as with a suit.

I wear a watch so infrequently now (couple times a month) that I really can't justify having multiple so I was hoping to get some advice on best bang for my buck on my Datejust; trade, sell on my own etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Qing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:00 PM   #2
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
You're best bet is to try and sell it on here. Outside of that you can try and sell it privately on a site like chrono24 or eBay. Lastly, and the worst option from the perspective of how much money you'd get is you can trade the DJ in at a store. I actually ended up doing this with my Navitimer to get into a Submariner, I definitely took a hit but I didn't have the reputation or posts on the site here or chrono24 to be what I would consider trusted. Ultimately I valued the ease of trading it in and just dealt with the fact that regardless of where I sold it I would be taking a hit...lesson learned about buying a Breitling brand new.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:29 AM   #3
Qing Guy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your input, pretty much confirms my thoughts. If it's too much of a hit I suppose I'll just keep it and look for an opportunity to offload down the road for the right price. Thanks!
Old 29 June 2017, 01:37 AM   #4
FSUGeoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: the Noles Score!
you could try watchuwant.com for selling it, I'm sure the price won't be what you expect, but maybe worth an inquiry
Old 29 June 2017, 01:39 AM   #5
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Yeah, I'd sell it outright and start your Submariner search. I don't think you'll get a good trade-in value.
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 07:50 AM   #6
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
As others stated, if you can sell it yourself and don't mind the time and energy devoted to doing so, you'll come out with a little extra money than on trading it.

I wore a DJ 36mm for probably 6-7 yrs (virtually every day) before I purchased my second Rolex, which was a 16610. I can tell you that there is a noticeable difference in comfort and feel on the wrist between the two, and this is coming from someone who thinks the SS black sub is possibly the best looking 40mm watch ever manufactured. The DJ (to me) is far more comfortable.

Point being, if you haven't done so already, try on a 16610 for comparisons sake. I've owned more than one 16610, 14060, sea dweller 16600 and explorer II 16570, as well as a couple of current ceramic version subs.....none of them were at the same comfort level as a 36mm DJ on my own wrist.
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 09:57 AM   #7
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
As others stated, if you can sell it yourself and don't mind the time and energy devoted to doing so, you'll come out with a little extra money than on trading it.

I wore a DJ 36mm for probably 6-7 yrs (virtually every day) before I purchased my second Rolex, which was a 16610. I can tell you that there is a noticeable difference in comfort and feel on the wrist between the two, and this is coming from someone who thinks the SS black sub is possibly the best looking 40mm watch ever manufactured. The DJ (to me) is far more comfortable.

Point being, if you haven't done so already, try on a 16610 for comparisons sake. I've owned more than one 16610, 14060, sea dweller 16600 and explorer II 16570, as well as a couple of current ceramic version subs.....none of them were at the same comfort level as a 36mm DJ on my own wrist.
Having made the transition myself, I agree. DJ wears much more comfortable BUT, not a deal breaker at all. Much more prefer the 40mm over the 36mm, in spite of my rather small 6.5 wrist.
Old 29 June 2017, 10:06 AM   #8
nvrp813
"TRF" Member

DJ II is a nice alternative as well. A little sportier than the DJ41 and since they were discontinued you can get a fairly good deal.

And because every thread needs a pic...

nvrp813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:14 PM   #9
miles813
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN, 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post

What's your opinion pre-ceramic or ceramic sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miles813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 04:26 PM   #10
samsam
"TRF" Member

I'm not a big fan of the black submariner date (no offense to owners) I'd get a DJII or a GMTIIC BLNR. Best to sell it here or trade in with a trusted seller here (few hundreds less).
Having said that, Datejust can be worn nicely with casual attire.

samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 10:22 PM   #11
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles813 View Post
What's your opinion pre-ceramic or ceramic sub?

Good question.....initially I really disliked the case lugs on the ceramic subs, but they grew on me and I ended up owning two 114060's at separate times. It's a fine watch no doubt but I prefer the look and feel of the 5 digit pre-ceramic models.

My opinion is swayed by the fact that I wore my current five digit DJ models, and had a couple of pre-ceramic subs for so long before owning the ceramics. I guess I'm just used to way they look and feel. Honestly the only six digit model I'd consider purchasing now would be an Exp I 114270, or a 116600 sea dweller if the prices weren't so outrageous on the SD.

One thing that has always bothered me on the subs (both pre ceramic and current) is that the triplock crown is so much larger than that of the DJ that it constantly made contact with the back of my hand during normal activities throughout the day. The ceramic sub was slightly worse in this regard than the pre-ceramic. Not a problem one typically encounters with a 36mm DJ. This is a result of wrist size and shape. Some here will tell you that a watch is meant to be worn just above the wrist bone and this rubbing will not occur. That may be true and I've attempted that, but the shape of my wrist prevents the watch from eventually moving back downward. It's not unusual though-I've got friends with subs and platinum yacht masters-both with the triplock crown-and you can see the mark on the back of their hand where the crown constantly rubs. It just doesn't annoy some people, but it got on my nerves after a while.
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 01:21 AM   #12
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qing Guy View Post
I've had my Datejust for about 7 years, I believe it was manufactured in 89. Love the classic look of it, however, I'm starting to feel its too small. Also due to changes in job I rarely wear it as I feel it's a bit much for shorts and T-Shirt which is pretty much what I wear unless I'm traveling for work.

I've always liked the look of the Submariner 16610, larger but not too large for my wrist, can wear it casually as well as with a suit.

I wear a watch so infrequently now (couple times a month) that I really can't justify having multiple so I was hoping to get some advice on best bang for my buck on my Datejust; trade, sell on my own etc.?

Thanks in advance!
I have these two watches, got Sub first and a few years later DJ.

I've found that on days where I wear shirt/tie, jacket, suit, any shirt with a collar, etc... the DJ is the much more appropriate choice. Days with t-shirts, no shirt, etc... Sub is the one.

Given your statement that you rarely wear a watch anymore, I would say that, if you can manage it, to get the Sub and keep the DJ you do that. The logic being one day your watch wearing habits may change - new job, dressing for a special occasion, etc... - and you'll be glad you kept it rather than took a low valued trade or sale...
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 08:26 AM   #13
Qing Guy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input everyone, I greatly appreciate it. After looking around I'm going to take a pretty good hit trying to sell it so I'm just going to keep it. Worse comes to worse I'll have two watches that I can leave one each to my two boys.

Thanks for the tip on wearing the Sub. I'll have to check that that out.

I'll come back and post once I have the Sub (or if I have any questions). Thanks again!